PDA

View Full Version : Cranberries?

Pages : [1] 2

Tigerlily
Nov 4th, 2005, 02:42 AM
What can I do with fresh cranberries? Do they taste good raw? Or are they too tart?

DianeVegan
Nov 4th, 2005, 03:02 AM
I think they are definitely too tart raw! You can add them to baked goods, oatmeal (but it won't be the same as dried cranberries) or a fruit smoothie. Since they are so tart, you may need to add some sweetener.

Tigerlily
Nov 4th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Thanks. :)

I might buy a bag anyway and throw them into salads.

Mr Flibble
Nov 4th, 2005, 10:41 AM
I suggest muffins. Just don't let them sing, they sound all winey and depressing.

rantipole
Nov 4th, 2005, 02:41 PM
It's easy to make cranberry sauce. It just takes sugar, water, and cranberries. I think you use a cup of sugar, a cup of water, and a pound of cranberries, but I'm not sure. You heat the water and stir in the sugar. When it simmers, add the cranberries. Then you simmer the whole thing until most of the berries pop; keep stirring. I think it takes about 10 minutes for the whole process. Refrigerate, and you have yummy cranberry sauce.

I've also read a variation that uses some orange juice to make an orange-cranberry sauce, but I don't know the details.

Cheers,
rant

FR
Nov 4th, 2005, 02:49 PM
They are very tart. I usually mix some in with sweeter berries in my smoothies. I have made cranberry nut muffins with them, but they were extremely tart as opposed to the dried ones that are sweetened.

Tigerlily
Nov 4th, 2005, 03:04 PM
It's easy to make cranberry sauce. It just takes sugar, water, and cranberries. I think you use a cup of sugar, a cup of water, and a pound of cranberries, but I'm not sure. You heat the water and stir in the sugar. When it simmers, add the cranberries. Then you simmer the whole thing until most of the berries pop; keep stirring. I think it takes about 10 minutes for the whole process. Refrigerate, and you have yummy cranberry sauce.

I've also read a variation that uses some orange juice to make an orange-cranberry sauce, but I don't know the details.

Thanks, but I have no need for cranberry sauce. Sorry. :p

Hmmm, maybe I'll ditch the idea of buying cranberries.

Litsea
Nov 4th, 2005, 04:29 PM
I suggest muffins. Just don't let them sing, they sound all winey and depressing.
I thought they sounded more like a cat in heat. ;)

rantipole
Nov 4th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks, but I have no need for cranberry sauce. Sorry. :p

Hmmm, maybe I'll ditch the idea of buying cranberries.

I'd just eat it with a spoon! :D

But, you can use cranberry sauce in oatmeal or on toast for a nice breakfast or snack.

Cheers,
rant

Tigerlily
Nov 4th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Ohh, that's a good idea. Does it last long in the fridge?

rantipole
Nov 4th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Cranberrry sauce should last at least a week. I think the acidity of the cranberries slows the growth of bacteria and mold.

Cheers,
rant

puffin
Nov 4th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Just don't let them sing, they sound all winey and depressing.
Lol. I couldnt agree more :)

Caitlin
Nov 12th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Are jellied canberries vegan? In the can

foxytina_69
Nov 12th, 2005, 08:20 PM
well what do the ingredients say? ive used canned cranberry sauce many times.

yum i love cranberry sauce!!!

Caitlin
Nov 14th, 2005, 12:13 AM
well i obviously wouldn't be asking if i knew or could read the can..

foxytina_69
Nov 14th, 2005, 08:27 AM
isnt there a label on it? thats wierd that it doesnt have the ingredients on it. every cranberry sauce ive seen i can eat.

Mr Flibble
Nov 14th, 2005, 09:15 AM
i've seen cranberry sauce in the UK with cochineal in, most likely to replace some of the colour lost in intensive processing

Caitlin
Nov 15th, 2005, 01:18 AM
I dont 'have' the ingredients. I do not have the can. Nevermind, I guess this question is too hard

DianeVegan
Nov 15th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Caitlin, I don't believe your question is too hard but it may be a bit too broad. I think that depending on the country and/or company of production, jelled cranberry sauce may have different additives. Therefore, we would need to know which brand label is in question in order to answer the question. :)

foxytina_69
Nov 15th, 2005, 01:50 AM
maybe u could look at the ones in the store next time u go?

Kiva Dancer
Nov 15th, 2005, 05:53 PM
How about making this (http://www.vegcooking.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=622)? :)

Tigerlily
Nov 15th, 2005, 10:47 PM
How about making this (http://www.vegcooking.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=622)? :)

Sounds good, but I can't vegan margarine here.

LittleNellColumbia
Nov 15th, 2005, 11:02 PM

Caitlin
Nov 16th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Im not talking about Cranberry sauce! Where did everyone get that from?? Do you all not know what Jellied Cranberries are? You know.. at Thanksgiving?? In the can?? Jellied cranberries?? In the US

Tigerlily
Nov 16th, 2005, 02:19 AM
The cranberry I've seen have been vegan. But, Caitlin, why not go to the store and look for yourself? :p