PDA

View Full Version : Scary possibility for Organic Farming..

Pages : [1] 2 3

Spiral
Feb 26th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Grow your own veganic fruit & veg. A UK based site

http://www.veganorganic.net/

gertvegan
Apr 1st, 2005, 07:20 PM
From www.veganvillage.co.uk (http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/notices.htm)

The Vegan Organic Network produce Growing Green International, an established and respected twice yearly magazine, usually of 40 pages, dealing with practical growing, ethics and similar topics. We need someone to take over the Editorship, to seek and help to choose contributions and pilot everything through production. There would be a small editorial group. Other people presently do layout, cover design, technical advice, proofing of material and advise on pictures and there would be the fullest help in getting started. This is an opportunity to use creative skills in helping to stop the cruelty and environmental damage resulting from animal and chemical farming. More information is readily available... please contact p.a.white@ukgateway.net

gertvegan
Apr 4th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Grow your own veganic fruit & veg. A UK based site

http://www.veganorganic.net/They will be at the Veganforum meetup @ Heart of England Vegan Festival 2005. (http://http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751) Patrick Brown is one of the speakers on the day. ;)

gertvegan
Jul 26th, 2005, 10:02 PM
TWO GREAT EVENTS ORGANISED BY VEGAN-ORGANIC NETWORK

Interested in growing your own veg the vegan way, saving the planet through animal free agriculture or just an interesting and different day out? 27 August, visit to Welsh College of Horticulture, Mold, N Wales. This location is now growing on animal free lines and it's a wonderful site. Open to all - bring your friends. Day includes a short presentation and guided tour; tea/coffee provided; 1pm to 4pm-ish; £18 (£9 concessions) - please book early to avoid disappointment!

Please contact Patrick Browne email: veganorganic@riseup.net.

Saturday 1 October visit to Hardwick Market Gardens near Reading. Commencing at 1pm. Iain Tolhurst's acclaimed market garden is an outstanding example of stockfree-organics and our visit is an unmissable event. Cost is £18 (£9 concessions) including light refreshments.

To reserve your place, please send full payment before 20 September (payable to VON) to Graham Cole at Coach House, Holywell, Swanmore, Southampton SO32 2QE, email: veganrainbows@tiscali.co.uk

speedylemons
Nov 4th, 2005, 12:52 PM
:eek: I came across this site and I was very nervous to read through it..

"Most organic fertilizers are animal based ( bone meal & kiln dried blood & animal manure's). Do we want this in our food? Did the blood and bones come from (mad cows) downer cows? Are animal manure's full of antibiotics and pesticides? We can grow healthy vegan ( free of blood, bone & fish emulsion ) organic food with green manure cover crops. A green manure cover crop is natural vegetation turned into the soil in place of other fertilizers."

Organic Farming NOT truly vegan?? (http://essenes.net/Vorganic.htm)

Does anyone know the truth behind this??? What a horrible thing to read about!

Mr Flibble
Nov 4th, 2005, 01:08 PM
yes, that's why we have the term veganic - organic and vegan

There's more info here (http://www.vegansociety.com/html/people/lifestyle/home_and_garden/veganic_gardening.php)

FR
Nov 4th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I wonder if there are any prodcuts available from veganic growers in any stores in the U.S.?

I didn't know that farmers use slaughterhouse by-products to grow organic food. I guess there isn't any way to truly be vegan aside from growing everything yourself. :(

Pilaf
Nov 4th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Ugh... just another reason for me to move to that Farm community....

speedylemons
Nov 4th, 2005, 06:05 PM
I know!!!!! this sucks! :( :( :( I'm looking into veganic though, thanks Mr Fibble! :). We'll see what i can dig up.

Sigh.. we just can't win! I can't wait until I transfer out of WI and go somewhere where i can have a yard! I'm going to grow as much as i can on my own!

abrennan
Nov 5th, 2005, 02:01 AM
I'm pretty sure that BIODYNAMIC farming means that they have used blood an bone meal in the soil.

I don't buy things that say biodynamic on em for that reason

twinkle
Nov 5th, 2005, 02:08 AM
I'm pretty sure that BIODYNAMIC farming means that they have used blood an bone meal in the soil.

I don't buy things that say biodynamic on em for that reason

eurgh, you're right! I didn't know that :(

just been looking at this (http://www.biodynamic.org.uk/FAQ.htm#whyare) :eek:

abrennan
Nov 5th, 2005, 02:15 AM
eurgh, you're right! I didn't know that :(

just been looking at this (http://www.biodynamic.org.uk/FAQ.htm#whyare) :eek:

MMMmmm it's actually worse than I thought

if you've been buying Biodynamic foods I think you should click on that link

pepare to be enlightened

speedylemons
Nov 5th, 2005, 04:16 AM
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww! How repulsive! I haven't come across either of those logos on any of my food though.. ew ew ew ew ew i just knew organic had to be too good to be true. sigh... :(

abrennan
Nov 5th, 2005, 04:19 AM
It's biodynamic that means there's animal parts used. I read about what they get up to years go:eek:

eve
Nov 5th, 2005, 06:34 AM
I've certainly not bought organic or biodynamic, because I have no desire to eat food that has been nurtured on the by-products of abattoirs. However, I do understand that it is a choice between that and conventional farming that uses chemicals. Of course I can do without chemicals in my life, but it just isn't possible, so we have to make the choice between two evils. If you live in the UK where there are veganic farms, that is great, or if you have a piece of garden in which to grow foods without chemicals, that is also great, but as I live in a flat, and there are no veganic vegies around, I must make do with conventionally grown vegies.

foxytina_69
Nov 5th, 2005, 06:39 AM
i wish i knew how to grow veggies :( (im going to give it a go next summer!)

mophoto
Nov 5th, 2005, 06:44 AM
I've certainly not bought organic or biodynamic, because I have no desire to eat food that has been nurtured on the by-products of abattoirs. However, I do understand that it is a choice between that and conventional farming that uses chemicals. Of course I can do without chemicals in my life, but it just isn't possible, so we have to make the choice between two evils. If you live in the UK where there are veganic farms, that is great, or if you have a piece of garden in which to grow foods without chemicals, that is also great, but as I live in a flat, and there are no veganic vegies around, I must make do with conventionally grown vegies.

just wondering............... are non organic produce grown with or without animal by-products.

i am so confused and frustrated. the more i know the less i want to know. too late to turn back now

foxytina_69
Nov 5th, 2005, 06:45 AM
non organic produce is grown with chemicals, which surely arent vegan.

eve
Nov 5th, 2005, 07:01 AM
aren't chemicals synthetic?

foxytina_69
Nov 5th, 2005, 07:07 AM
i would imagine they tested alot of animals with those chemicals before making them available to use for gardening. and theres probably a few animal products of some wierd sort in them. i dont know for sure, but usually with something such as chemicals, they are tested alot on animals. :(

eve
Nov 5th, 2005, 07:12 AM
I'm sure you are right foxytina, it's one of these sad things we live with in the world today, not always knowing how our medications are tested, how chemicals are tested etc, though mainly anything that is ingested, such as foods and medications, generally *have* to be tested on animals. What a world we live in!

Mystic
Nov 5th, 2005, 07:12 AM
sometimes conventional apples, oranges etc are coated in a wax, which may or may not be animal derived to give a "nice" shiny appearance.

foxytina_69
Nov 5th, 2005, 07:19 AM
reminds me of something my mother used to say regarding how well we did in school eve:

"all u can do is your best. you cant do any better than your best. do your best and ill be proud of you!"

so i guess the same applies to veganism. :o

speedylemons
Nov 5th, 2005, 01:53 PM
reminds me of something my mother used to say regarding how well we did in school eve:

"all u can do is your best. you cant do any better than your best. do your best and ill be proud of you!"

so i guess the same applies to veganism. :o

Ditto. I completely agree with the wisdom and optimism of your mum. We can only do our best.. We may get frustrated at times but really all we can do is our best. Eventually we may get the opportunity to change what frustrates us.. whether it's buying veganic produce [if available], growing even some or all our own, or just taking advantage of local farmers markets when in season. As time progresses opportunities arise and certain things become available. It just sucks to know stuff like this that we have no way of controlling/changing!!! I almost wish i didn't know! :( :mad:

DianeVegan
Nov 6th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Tina, your mother sounds like a wonderful woman. And she's absolutely correct.

Farming takes a toll on the earth and animals, no matter what way you look at it. 6.3 billion mouths are a lot to feed and intensive farming won't go away until we do.

Synthetic pesticides and fertilizers may be "vegan" until you consider that they kill birds and insects. They also get into streams and kill fish. Remember DDT? It almost wiped out the American bald eagle. And think about the workers who must come into contact with these chemicals in the fields. Do you think anyone is doing a 20 year follow up study on migrant workers and the health problems they may have related to chemical exposure?

Organic farms definitely use manure and may pass on e. coli and listeria if the animals were carrying those germs. This is the reason why you should always wash your salad greens (even the triple-washed ones that come in bags).

I don't like the idea of using animal products for farming. However, I do agree with using by-products of the fish/meat industry if that is the only option besides chemicals. Large vats of manure are toxic when they spill their contents into surrounding bodies of water. I would rather see this manure spread out in a way that nourishes the soil rather than poisoning the streams.

I could go on and on. We have so many humans on the earth that do not have access to farmable land. Cities are going to get more populated and intensive farming on the surrounding land is going to continue in order to feed these people. So the fertilizer and pesticide companies will continue to find products to supply to farmers, be they synthetic or animal by-product. This is unfortunately a sad reality for those of us who live in cities and don't have veganic farmers. And lets face it, no one eats 100% veganic food unless he/she only eats what comes from those farms. We're all faced with choosing the lesser of two evils.

Tina's mom said it best.