PDA

View Full Version : If you could go anywhere in Canada, where would it be?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

terra
Nov 5th, 2005, 10:09 PM
If you could go anywhere in Canada where would it be and why?

also, name some of the places you've been in Canada! Which place did you like best? :D

Cherry
Nov 6th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Chu Chai, Rue St Denis, Montreal. Ah. Thai vegetarian restaurant. Heavenly.

I went to Canada for 3 weeks a few years ago. My last holiday actually but it was so good it's worth not going anywhere else for ages.

We went to Vancouver, which was great, then Banff by minibus, then to Toronto, then went to Montreal via Niagara Falls, then Quebec, and back to Montreal. It was ALL fabulous. Canada is so much more vegan friendly than the UK.

I'd like to visit again one day - so much more to see!

terra
Nov 6th, 2005, 12:23 AM
do you really think canada is more vegan friendly than the UK? I always see vegan festivals and such going on in the UK and I get so jealous!

I've never been to a vegan restaurant... that one sounds great!
I have lots of family in Montreal, so I might get to go eat some yummy Thai food one day!! :)

I used to live on vancouver island. Although, I don't remember it much, I was young. I'd like to visit again.

I would love to go way up north in canada and watch the northern lights!

Cherry
Nov 6th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Yes, I thought Canada was definitely more vegan friendly. It's so multicultural, and there are a lot more purely vegetarian places. In Toronto there seem to be loads of Chinese Vegetarian restaurants. Canadians seemed more environmentally aware too.

We stopped at a Youth Hostel on the way to Banff, and it was literally in the middle of nowhere. (Very pleasant!) I was panicking about telling the owner I was vegan and thought I'd be going hungry, but she said "Fine, no problem, the veggie burgers are vegan, I have soya milk and hang on, I'll just check the bread has no milk in it" AND she made me some gorgeous fruit pancakes with soya milk in the morning. Vegan heaven. Except that we had to sleep in an old train caboose and it was FREEZING, but food wise it was heavenly.

In the UK I've often had to explain to people what a vegan is and what I can and can't eat, usually accompanied by very peculiar looks, grumbled comments ("whatever next..., in my day.....") and a lettuce sandwich!

Cherry
Nov 6th, 2005, 12:38 AM
PS Would love to see the Northern Lights too, and as for festivals, they all seem to be in Bristol! They have all the fun there :rolleyes:

terra
Nov 6th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Wow.. I never knew! :) I guess i'm pretty lucky over here! I just need to leave my house now to experience these wonderful places! ;)

Do you happen to know the name of the youth hostel that you stayed in? It sounds so interesting.

One day, I hope to own a vegan Inn. Just small and simple. Somewhere in northern alberta. You will be more than welcome to come! :)

terra
Nov 6th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Cherry - Have you ever seen the northern lights?

I have a few times... they're pretty amazing.

We had a spectacular show this past may. It was incredible. I can't even explain how beautiful it was. Apparently there was something going on with the sun. Some solar flares I believe. So it made the sky a huge light show for hours. I've never seen anything like it. It actually brought tears to my eyes... :o

I would like to go further north though, to see a real show!

abrennan
Nov 6th, 2005, 02:55 AM
I have only seen the northern lights on television, I guess the real thing would be spectacular

I don't know much about canada. I hear from time to time that iut has similarities with Australia. What do you think about that?

Yoggy
Nov 6th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Hi Terra! I see you live in the Georgian Bay area. I was born in Owen Sound and grew up in Port Elgin!

I've hardly travelled around my country at all. Other than the fact that I now live on Vancouver Island. I've been to Quebec and Calgary, and all over Southern Ontario, but that's all! So if I could go anywhere, I'd definitely check out the Maritimes. For some reason I really want to see PEI, though it's probably because of my fond memories of Anne of Green Gables LOL. And I'd love to see more of Quebec. It's so different from the rest of Canada.

Roxy
Nov 6th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Well I have lived in Vancouver for 3 and a half years. During that time, I have seen parts of B.C. including Victoria and Port Renfrew (on the beautiful western side of Vancouver Island).

I've also been to Kelowna lots of times, so I've seen the surrounding area there and I love driving home the long way on the Hope-Princeton Road.

I've been to Banff, Alberta. We drove by car from Vancouver to there and back again. It was beautiful!

Next year we are going to PEI for 2 weeks in August. We have rented a fully self-contained apartment there woohoo! Even if there's not lots to do there for 2 weeks, I am going to have such a good time, just chillin out and relaxing in the Maritimes :)

Yoggy
Nov 6th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Next year we are going to PEI for 2 weeks in August. We have rented a fully self-contained apartment there woohoo! Even if there's not lots to do there for 2 weeks, I am going to have such a good time, just chillin out and relaxing in the Maritimes :)
Lucky!

terra
Nov 6th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Hey Yoggy -

You've been to quite a few places I would say!
I'm pretty much the same; born in ontario, moved to Vancouver island. then we moved back to ontario 2 years later. I have family in quebec and a few areas around BC. So i've been there a few times and I've travelled from ontario to BC through Canada once and back from BC to Ontario through the states....
Canada can be a bit boring when you're 7 and travelling non-stop in a crowded car for 4 days! But it's worth it when you get to the mountains in alberta and BC... wow... Ontario seems so plain once you've been out there!
But I do like the georgian bay area in the summer... only if you're near the water though!

Anne of Green Gables... that's the best! I would love to see the maritimes too!
My sister has been to Nova Scotia and says it's awesome!
I think each province has it's own unique beauty. They're all so different!

I didn't realise that Port Elgin was right on the water... That's the one thing I love, being on the water! You must have done a lot of exploring around the Bruce Peninsula as a kid. What a beautiful place!

Roxy
Nov 6th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Well, we got free flights because we had tons of points with the Aeroplan program. Otherwise - we wouldn't be able to afford it. Flights to PEI from Vancouver are VERY expensive.

I'm looking forward to it :)

terra
Nov 6th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Roxy - :)

I was wondering when you were going to join this thread! :D

And here you are!

My favorite Aunt & Uncle & cousins live in Kelowna! They LOVE it there!

They've been to a few vegan restaurants and say that there is plently of vegan food in the stores! (their way of trying to get me to move out there! which I love!)

You're very lucky to be able to go to PEI - what an adventure!

terra
Nov 6th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Gotta love aeroplan!

That's awesome Roxy! :o

Roxy
Nov 6th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Kelowna is lovely! We have a house up there, in the Mission area, that my mother-in-law rents from us. We almost lost it in the fires a couple of years ago, but thank goodness it was saved.

Do you think you could please find out the names of those Vegan restaurants? I never knew there were vegan restaurants there. I won't be going up there again until next year, but it's always good to know!! :)

terra
Nov 6th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Forsure - I'll email her right away and ask!
It usually takes her about one week to get back to me!
I guess that's what happens when you have two small kids!

They almost lost their home to the fire aswell. :(
It was extremely lucky that they didn't. Almost every other house was burnt to the ground...

I'm not familiar with the Mission area, where is that exactly?

Roxy
Nov 6th, 2005, 07:14 AM
It is basically south Kelowna. Probably right near where your Aunt and Uncle are, as it was where the big fires were a couple of years ago. Our place is just off Lakeshore Road.

Roxy
Nov 6th, 2005, 07:15 AM
And thank you for emailing your Aunty! :D

terra
Nov 6th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Wow - what a small world... they live like 4 streets up!

I just looked on google maps! :)

terra
Nov 6th, 2005, 07:20 AM
well.. I guess it depends where on lakeshore!

I didn't realise how long lakeshore was! :o

Cherry
Nov 6th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Hello everyone

No Terra, I haven't ever seen the Northern Lights. They sound amazing. Apparently you can see them from Northern Scotland but I don't think they are as strong as from further North. They're definitely something I'm aiming to see at some point in my life.

All this talk of Canada is making me want to visit again. :)

terra
Nov 6th, 2005, 06:23 PM
well Cherry - If I ever start my vegan inn, you can be my first guest!

You can test the vegan meals for me and give me ratings! :D

Cherry
Nov 6th, 2005, 07:42 PM
I'll be there! Thanks :)

mophoto
Nov 7th, 2005, 01:30 AM
to answer the thread question i want to live in hamilton. we pass it when driving to toronto- it looks so pretty and hilly, and not far from toronto.

if banff wasn't so far away from my family- i would love to live there. the most beautiful place i have ever been too- yet soooo cold