PDA

View Full Version : dry milk powder?

cast_the_flames
Jul 27th, 2004, 08:24 PM
i've come across many tasty-looking bread machine recipes recently that have dry milk powder in them. does anyone know a good substitute? would some vegan protein powder work? or do i have to dehydrate my own soy milk :\

Gorilla
Jul 27th, 2004, 08:26 PM
i use a powdered vegan milk in my coffee, which may work in bread, but i have to say i've never tried it. it's by Taam-Tov, i buy it mail order in the UK but i'm sure it's available in the US

cedarblue
Jul 27th, 2004, 08:37 PM
i just leave out the powdered milk, it makes no difference at all to the finished loaves! :)

cast_the_flames
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:40 PM
thanks guys! ugh, i just made some bread and realized halfway through that i didn't have any spoon measurements (still packed), so i have no idea if the yeast amount is right. oh well!

n0r1
Jul 27th, 2004, 09:44 PM
i just leave out the powdered milk, it makes no difference at all to the finished loaves! :)
The Tassajara Bread Book has powdered milk in their recipes, and they say it's optional. I've been leaving it out since I went vegan (almost two months now!), and it makes the loaves a little denser, but I like that. Not terribly dense, just a bit. I'd be in to finding some vegan powdered milk though ... is that just powdered soy milk?

Gorilla
Jul 28th, 2004, 02:28 PM
the powdered vegan 'milk' i use contains: corn syrup, coconut and/or soy bean oils, sucrose, soy protein and some other anti-caking agents etc.

i really don't know what it's like in baking, it's just a suggestion, i only put it in my coffee.

Sabster
Jul 30th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Powdered soy milk is available is natural food stores, etc. It's rather pricy though.

Veganmama
Jul 30th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Over here in the same section as milk powder they have a powdered soy milk.

cedarblue
Jul 30th, 2004, 02:39 PM
hmmm..i might try and find some dried soy milk and try it in breadmachine - i like the dense loaf consistency for toast but it can make for a cake-y 'tight' slice for a sandwich and i dont like that much :(