PDA

View Full Version : chain restaurant vegan items (USA & Canada)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

eclectic_one
Nov 7th, 2005, 09:00 PM
I've been starting to do research into what items chain restaurants (i.e., Applebee's, Denny's, etc.) have that are "vegan friendly" as my parents like to go out to eat when I visit and I get tired of them saying, "you're too picky, it's impossible for us to go out to eat." I've just started emailing companies (describing, in detail, what a vegan won't eat) and reading up on this, so I thought maybe some of the other members have already found out some information. I also thought it might be nice to know for being "on the road" and not knowing local restaurants (which some of you have mentioned in your area, but chain restaurants might be easier to find).

Here's what I've learned so far:

Appleby's: other than salad, nothing listed as vegan friendly; however, they were willing to work with me and I got a baked potato with steamed veggies and a bit of teriyaki sauce and soy sauce over it. All their rices have meat broth on them.
Denny's: as far as I can tell, mainly the fruit cup and oatmeal are vegan for breakfast, but you have to request the oatmeal without butter (or they put a big glob on the top); also some of the breads (for toast etc.) are supposed to be OK, but I don't know the specifics; I also put hershey's syrup on my oatmeal. They have a Boca burger, but it has cheese IN it.

Anyone else have any info on common CHAIN RESTAURANTS?

maya
Nov 7th, 2005, 09:27 PM
PF. Changs has a great coconut curry tofu dish.

Dont be fooled by Chili's veggie burger is has egg in it.:(

Hemlock
Nov 7th, 2005, 09:39 PM
I've been starting to do research into what items chain restaurants (i.e., Applebee's, Denny's, etc.) have that are "vegan friendly" as my parents like to go out to eat when I visit and I get tired of them saying, "you're too picky, it's impossible for us to go out to eat."

Join the club! I can't be bothered to go out to eat any more because I always get the same old cardboard like garbage while everyone else has a veritable feast:(
My aunt invited me out for lunch and I just said no thanks because I'm bored of the same old baked potato with no butter with plain veg or beans, I can eat better at home for less money. I was tempted to ask her if we could go out and get pissed instead but she is a rabid evangelical christian and wouldn't approve :)

Kumem
Nov 7th, 2005, 09:53 PM
What about Chinese and Indian restaurants. I couldn't care less if people think I'm picky, because I find it's mainly English food that has loads of meat and dairy, so I'm being adventurous!

Most places I go have loads of veggie dishes on the menu and are happy to point out ones without meat/fish stock, butter ghee, cream etc. Even easier if you pick vegetarian, but say you have a dairy and egg allergy.

Mr Flibble
Nov 7th, 2005, 11:40 PM
ewww, burger king http://hopchat.fire-chains.com/vomit.gif

Personally, I don't trust chains, only individual stores. Unless a chain makes a point of all it's stores knowing exactly what vegan is and how to prepare vegan items, just because the food was vegan it doesn't mean the individual store will cook it right.

eclectic_one
Nov 8th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Found this on a vegan blog, a letter from Romano's macaroni grill (they also warned that their "tomato sauce" contains butter):

Tomato Bruschetta - order with No Cheese
House or Garden Salad - order with No Cheese or Croutons
Salad Dressings: Balsamic Vinaigrette, Italian, Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
Capellini Pomodoro - available through February 2006
Penne Arrabiatta - order with No Cheese; available through February 2006
Any Pasta with Garlic and Oil

Tigerlily
Nov 8th, 2005, 01:22 AM
For those in Canada, East Side Marios has some vegan stuff, or so I heard. But you have to ask for it specifically.

Mystic
Nov 8th, 2005, 02:41 AM
Just my 2 cents worth, although I am not in America - it is important to support the vegan products that come out because if we ever want it to be mainstreamed, that is the way to do it. I was disappointed to learn that the veggie burger at McDonalds has been scrapped in Australia. I never had it btw... What a shame that there is now no option other than dead animal :( And before I get the "McDonalds is evil, don't spend your money there" lecture, I believe that McDonalds isn't going anywhere whether we like it or not, so any improvement is better then none.

Roxy
Nov 8th, 2005, 03:55 AM
For those in Canada, East Side Marios has some vegan stuff, or so I heard. But you have to ask for it specifically.

I have never heard of that chain. They must be an east-coast establishment. What kind of stuff do they sell?

terra
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:05 AM
It's Italian restaurant...

click me please! (http://www.eastsidemarios.com/home_en.asp)

I ate there a few times before my veganism.......

I would never consider going there or any chain restaurant again...

Roxy - they have one in kelowna if you're ever curious! ;)

Roxy
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Thanks for the link and the Kelowna tip lol. I have just checked our their menus on line and to be totally honest - it all looks pretty gross. Good place to order a heart-attack on a plate. :o

terra
Nov 8th, 2005, 05:13 AM
that's exactly what it is!

with every meal you get unlimited bread and salad...the salad consists of iceburg lettuce, croutons, maybe some tomatoes and cucumber and a hot pepper ontop.
Your basic chain restaurant salad... nothing special!

actually it might be with certain meals... but most of them.

anyway..you go there if you pretty much want to pig out all night long!

foxytina_69
Nov 8th, 2005, 06:48 AM
i know someone online who works at an east side marios. (i met him on the internet like five years ago!) we dont have one here.

catalina
Nov 8th, 2005, 08:08 AM
OK, if anyone ever has the guts to eat at a mall foodcourt, please be careful at Panda Express. Their mixed vegetables are cooked in chicken broth!

Yeah, you can usually find something to eat at PF Chang's that's ok. They also do brown rice, which I don't see that often in mainstream restaurants.

eclectic_one
Nov 8th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I actually read that on another vegan blog. The vegan had emailed Panda express and was told that nothing was suitable for vegans because of being cooked with chicken broth. Lots of Chinese, Thai, and Japanese restaurants do similarly. I wish I had a Chang's around here...are you sure there's no broth in their stuff? [Not that it matters, the closest one to me is a couple hours away:(]

eclectic_one
Nov 8th, 2005, 03:49 PM
I also found that at some Great Steak & Potato company restaurants (usually in mall food courts), the veggie delight is vegan if you get it w/o cheese. The french fries are cooked in peanut oil and the garden salad is OK. You can also get a baked potato with broc (no cheese).

eclectic_one
Nov 8th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Just my 2 cents worth, although I am not in America - it is important to support the vegan products that come out because if we ever want it to be mainstreamed, that is the way to do it. I was disappointed to learn that the veggie burger at McDonalds has been scrapped in Australia. I never had it btw... What a shame that there is now no option other than dead animal :( And before I get the "McDonalds is evil, don't spend your money there" lecture, I believe that McDonalds isn't going anywhere whether we like it or not, so any improvement is better then none.
I agree with that! If we don't support when a big chain caters to vegans, I don't know how much will change because the big chains aren't going away. That's why some (I haven't, at least not as yet) vegans eat the BK veggie, even with the bun containing a bit of butter, to encourage them to keep the veggie burger and further ask them to change to a vegan bun.

sinister kungfu
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Unfortunately, the BK veggie is vomit-inducingly vile. :mad:

Mr Flibble
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:28 PM
That's why some (I haven't, at least not as yet) vegans eat the BK veggie, even with the bun containing a bit of butter

You'd eat something with a bit of butter in it? Then claim you're doing so to help veganism? :eek:

Personally I think a vegan eating something non vegan is determental to veganism - it lets companies know they don't have to cater for vegans properly because they're flakey!

Hemlock
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:32 PM
I refuse to eat in any big chain 'restaurant' even if I was starving to death!!! Even when I ate meat I wouldn't eat that garbage!
I would rather support small cafes and local businesses than any McChain.
Happily I've just heard about 3 great veggie places in Brighton so may try them all over the next few weeks :)

Mr Flibble
Nov 8th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Happily I've just heard about 3 great veggie places in Brighton so may try them all over the next few weeks :)

Yea, you do live down the road from a mecca for vegans ;)

catalina
Nov 8th, 2005, 05:41 PM
I actually read that on another vegan blog. The vegan had emailed Panda express and was told that nothing was suitable for vegans because of being cooked with chicken broth. Lots of Chinese, Thai, and Japanese restaurants do similarly. I wish I had a Chang's around here...are you sure there's no broth in their stuff? [Not that it matters, the closest one to me is a couple hours away:(]

You know, it's possible that Chang's does the same thing, it just hasn't occurred to me. I haven't been there in over two years, so if you ever plan on going, you should email them. I've noticed that most companies are quite good at getting back to you.

eclectic_one
Nov 8th, 2005, 08:59 PM
I received a reply from Ruby Tuesday's. The rep said that if you order the veggie burger w/o cheese or mayonnaise, it is vegan. I have emailed to ask if any sides (including fries) are vegan.

I appreciate that many of you are anti-chain restaurants (which I have no argument with), but I thought it would be nice to at least know what those of us who aren't militantly anti-chain restaurants could eat if we needed or wanted to go to onehttp://veganforum.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

eclectic_one
Nov 8th, 2005, 09:05 PM
They already emailed me back and said that the fries are fried in the same oil with the chicken tenders, so they are not vegan.

catalina
Nov 8th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I appreciate that many of you are anti-chain restaurants (which I have no argument with), but I thought it would be nice to at least know what those of us who aren't militantly anti-chain restaurants could eat if we needed or wanted to go to onehttp://veganforum.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

I agree, in an ideal world we'd never go to any of these restaurants again. However, one person can't always dictate where a large group of friends want to go, and it's useful to know what's available to you. :)