PDA

View Full Version : The one tonne challenge

foxytina_69
Nov 12th, 2005, 05:27 PM
i take this quiz often to see how good im doing. im at 0.87 tonnes. the national average is 5.5! :eek:

this isnt good for just canadians. its got GREAT advice on how to reduce your greenhouse gas emmisions.

http://www.climatechange.gc.ca/onetonne/english/index.asp

Roxy
Nov 13th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Bloody hell! That's LOW!! Good for you! I guess because you don't drive, or have heating that saves you a lot!

Mine is high :o I need to walk more.

Seaside
Nov 13th, 2005, 08:44 AM
My score was 1.44, though I think it would be a little lower, as I live further south and don't need much heat on the boat. It is the middle of November and I haven't had to turn on the heater yet. I had to pick a Canadian address to take the test! I wish they had one for the USA. I wonder what the average tonnes would be for an American?

adam antichrist
Nov 13th, 2005, 08:50 AM
here's a US one seaside
http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/ResourceCenterToolsGHGCalculator.html

adam antichrist
Nov 13th, 2005, 09:06 AM
US gross usage is just less than canada per capita, but Australia is the worst in the world:

Calculation of oil consumption (http://www.energydoctor.com.au/greenhouse/australiasemissions.html)

In 1999 world consumption of petroleum was 74,905 thousand barrels per day (from strata.geol.sc.edu/petroleum/world-pet-consump-by-count-90-99.html)
In 2001 Australia consumed 872 thousand barrels per day. (www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/australi.html). Its 1999 consumption appeared slightly less, at say 860 thousand barrels per day.
1999 world population was 6,002 million, with Australia's population at 19.546 million. The world consumption per capita was therefore 4.56 barrels per person, and Australia's per capita consumption 16.28 barrels per person.
World's known oil reserves in 2001 were 1016 billion barrels. (strata.geol.sc.edu/petroleum/petroleum.html). At the 1999 world consumption rate this would make the reserves in 2002 equal to 989 billion barrels.
If everyone consumed at Australia's rate the yearly consumption would be 97.73 billion barrels. At this rate the known oil reserves would dry out in 10.11 years.

Roxy
Nov 14th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Does anyone subscribe to "If it's yellow keep it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" with regards to their toilet?

I'm going to start doing this in our apartment to stop wasting water.

adam antichrist
Nov 14th, 2005, 05:01 AM
I don't at home, because it stinks up the whole place; but whenever possible I return my nitrogenous waste directly to he soil, because it is actually a pollutant in water. Human urine is very different to fish urine, fish waste is ammonia and human waste is urea. Ammonia is more reactive and easier to break down (I think). One of the dumbest things we humans do is try and dispatch or sewage with water into the ocean, when it could be recycled and used to nourish crops.
:)

Roxy
Nov 14th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Your pee stinks the place up? You need to stop eating so much asparagus man! :p

terra
Nov 14th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Does anyone subscribe to "If it's yellow keep it mellow, if it's brown flush it down" with regards to their toilet?

I'm going to start doing this in our apartment to stop wasting water.

We had that saying as a sign over the toilet at our cottage - it was funny as a kid!

My parents save water this way, aswell as my boyfriend and I at our place.

My mom had a family reunion at her place last year and she put up that as a sign in the guest bathroom...it went over well! ;)

Roxy
Nov 15th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Haha! That's so cute!

When I was a kid, I remember my parent's friend's having a sign beside their pool that read "Please don't pee in our pool because we don't swim in your toilet". :D

Seaside
Nov 15th, 2005, 04:14 AM
here's a US one seaside
http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/ResourceCenterToolsGHGCalculator.html
Thanks adam antichrist. :)

I'm at just under 13,000 lbs. of emissions. The average is 60,000 lbs. in the US. It doesn't take much to heat or cool my boat. I would do much better though if I didn't have to use my truck for my job.

laurin
Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:10 AM
I don't even drive, so...:rolleyes: unless theres more to it?

Roxy
Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:45 AM
Oh there's lots more to it than just driving........

There's a whole bunch of household topics such as heating, appliances, garbage, recycling, lighting etc. And even if you don't drive, there's still some questions about weather you are a passenger.