PDA

View Full Version : Polenta

Savannah
Nov 18th, 2005, 04:21 PM
I bought some today because it was reduced. But I've never had it before. I have no idea what it even is or what to do with it...Any help would be appreciated!

Mr Flibble
Nov 18th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I've never had polenta cooked either by me or for me which i've thought was nice. It's a bit like couscous - plenty of people eat and enjoy it, but it's a little dull on it's own if you don't really know what you're doing. I've tried following instructions on packets, but always use margerine instead of butter at that point. I dunno if that's the key or not

Good luck :)

Litsea
Nov 18th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Savannah, did you buy it already prepared (generally in a plastic wrap tube) or as the grain to prepare?

Savannah
Nov 18th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Ready made, it looks like cheese! I've had a read of the back of the packet and it says I can slice it and heat it up. But what do I have with it? It's all so confusing!

nmvegan
Nov 18th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Here's a recipe for a vegan tamale pie with polenta if you like mexican food. It's very good....
http://www.yummydishes.com/vgn/vgn_tamale.html

Also, you can slice it into 1/2 inch rounds and pan fry it in some olive oil to brown it, or you could probably bake it as well....Brush it with some olive oil if you bake it so it doesn't dry up...Then you can top it with tomato sauce, veggies, etc....
Let us know how you did! Good luck!!

Tigerlily
Nov 18th, 2005, 09:49 PM
What does it taste like? My grocery store sells it, and I want to try it.

nmvegan
Nov 18th, 2005, 09:52 PM
All it really is is corn meal...kind of maybe like grits if you cook it from the box...Anyways, if it's fried it gets crispy and yummy. It's good...it's...corn...

Tigerlily
Nov 18th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Mmmm fried corn goodness. :) I will have to try. :)

nmvegan
Nov 18th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Exactly!...very good...

harpy
Nov 18th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I like it although I don't like the ready-made stuff quite as much as the other which you can flavour when you cook it (I get the instant kind which cooks in about 5 minutes rather than the traditional kind you have to cook for half an hour or so).

One thing you can do with what you've bought, Savannah, is to slice it up and top the slices with the same sort of thing you would use on a pizza - tomato sauce, capers, olives, fake cheese if you like. Then bake in the oven.

Be generous with the toppings otherwise you might find it a bit bland.

Tigerlily
Nov 18th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Can you slice it up and eat it between two buns as a burger?

nmvegan
Nov 19th, 2005, 12:49 AM
um, I guess you could try it, but I think I would find that too starchy...

foxytina_69
Nov 19th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Can you slice it up and eat it between two buns as a burger?

i think this would be delicious, if it was fried, and then topped with lots of yummy veggies.

harpy
Nov 19th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Along those lines, I would use the polenta instead of the bun, and maybe put a large grilled mushroom between the polenta slices instead of the burger. You'd have to eat it with a knife and fork but it could be a tasty morsel. Again, it would be a good idea to use plenty of herbs etc to flavour it.

KarmaGirl
Jan 20th, 2006, 07:35 PM
When I make polenta, I start from scratch (would work with a packet) and add garlic to the corn meal along with fresh herbs. I then spread it on a parchment lined cookie sheet and stick it in the fridge to get solid. Slice into squares and fry. To top, slice up mushrooms, onion, and tomatoes and simmer in a sweet white wine. Top the fried polenta with the mushroom topping, and add a dab of vegan sour cream if wanted.

Mystic
Jan 20th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Personally, I don't like polenta. Maybe I haven't had it nice or something. Anyway, I work at a kinder where it is a vegetarian menu, except for one day a week, where for some reason, they have tuna :confused: Yesterday, the chef made polenta, where she cut it into shapes with cookie cutters, into like love hearts and stars and squiggly circle things, topped it with cheese and grilled it. I bet it would work well with vegan cheese, or something made from nutritional yeast. Great for kids :)

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 20th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Sticky date, that's how my Daughter likes it...Vegan Gourmet cheese, carmelized onions, zuchinni, roasted tomatoes and garlic and a good tomato sauce with nutritional yeast...it's REALLY good that way! I also spice the polenta when cooking it though...most make it plain and that's droll!

(HOW COOL that your work is mostly veg!)

Mystic
Jan 20th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah it is great! And they don't use eggs at all (coz too many kids have anaphilactic reactions) and hardly any dairy. I gave the chef the recipe for my vegan chocolate cake, so hopefully it will be on the menu one day :)

vuycha
Jan 20th, 2006, 09:15 PM
i like polenta cooked thicker, to be hard as bread. then is excelent as addition to sauerkraut* with beans.

*eh, now :confused: . i don't know the term so i'll try to describe what you do with sauerkraut. warm the deep pan with little oil and spoon of water. then add garlic and cook very shortly just to let aroma (not to get yellow). then add sauerkraut and cover to keep the steam and cook on small temperature. check it, stir, add tablespoon of water and cook covered in steam on minimal temperature about half of hour. (now please tell me english word for this procedure, we call it like germans - dinst). on the end mix sauerkraut with cooked beans and eat with thick-cooked polenta.

vuycha
Jan 20th, 2006, 09:55 PM
..now please tell me english word for this procedure, we call it like germans - dinst...it looks like the word is ''stew''