PDA

View Full Version : Omnis not understanding veganism is a *choice*

Pages : 1 [2]

Pilaf
Nov 23rd, 2005, 02:45 PM
This friend of mine who just doesn't get it was asking me what I "can" eat. I finally got tired and said "Can you smoke dope or rape women?" He said.. "I could but I'd never do those things". I simply replied "Good. You just made my job a lot easier"

celtic rose
Nov 23rd, 2005, 02:51 PM
does anyone do this? I find myself correcting people if they ask me "CAN you have this?" or "oh you can't have that" by telling them that i choose not to. I'm not sure why but it's an automatic thing now. I guess i try to get them to understand that i CHOOSE not to consume those things, and that it's not in any way a restrictive life.

Does it really matter if you "can't" or "won't" eat something? The net result is the same - you're not going to eat it.
I can't eat animals the same way I can't eat shit or steel bars or umbrellas. It's what we don't eat that's important not the wording.

kriz
Nov 23rd, 2005, 03:41 PM
I was out to lunch with an omni the other day and she asked me how I came to veganism. I told her that once I started asking questions about food and where it comes from - veganism was the only correct answer. So I guess that once you have all the answers there really isn't a choice after all.

You're right, Diane, it's not a choice once you know about the industry. I could NEVER EVER eat meat and dairy again.

speedylemons
Nov 24th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Does it really matter if you "can't" or "won't" eat something? The net result is the same - you're not going to eat it.
I can't eat animals the same way I can't eat shit or steel bars or umbrellas. It's what we don't eat that's important not the wording.

Yes it does matter. The point was how our wording can affect how omnis think of veganism and how it can sometimes convert someone or push them away alltogether. By making them understand you have chosen to live this way, you can make them realize you are not missing out on anything and that there is more to eat than dead things.

DianeVegan: I agree with what you said as well. I've explained that to my family before. It really isn't a conscious choice for me anymore.. When i see animals prepared for consumption etc it doesn't resemble food to me whatsoever. When i first came to the forum someone told me something about animal products eventually becoming 'as edible as a paper bag'.. and that's completely true. To me, i only eat food. I don't feel depraved or restricted or as if i'm on some sort of 'diet' or anything. I live my life and that is that.

Pilaf: good one. I may have to use that sometime when i'm low on tolerance.

greenworlds
Dec 25th, 2005, 07:18 PM
From my experience and reading others views on this thread ..I think veganism isn't a choice in respect that there really isn't an acceptable alternative and why would there need to be with the almost innumerable food choices that can be made and those that are available.
It can be annoying at times when omnis see not eating animal products as somehow restricting. If someone asks me again..you can't eat eggs? I will say no I can't eat eggs (shaking head saying errr Yuk the thought of that sickens me. I couldn't eat what are potentially baby chickens, or say something similiar.