PDA

View Full Version : Elsie Shrigley - Vegan Society co-founder

Red
Nov 24th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Donald Watson lived to 95 - what a great innings.

But does anyone know what happened to the other co-founder of the Vegan Society UK - Elsie Shrigley.

Gliondrach
Nov 25th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Here's a photograph with Elsie in it.

http://www.ivu.org/congress/wvc47/card.html

Tofu Monster
Nov 25th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Here's a photograph with Elsie in it.

http://www.ivu.org/congress/wvc47/card.html

awww. people just looked so...nice back in those days. you can't imagine anybody in those pictures being into death metal or wearing 'bling' and talking about smacking their 'ho'. i bet all them folks wanted was a nice cup of tea.

cedarblue
Nov 25th, 2005, 09:06 AM
awww. people just looked so...nice back in those days. you can't imagine anybody in those pictures being into death metal or wearing 'bling' and talking about smacking their 'ho'. i bet all them folks wanted was a nice cup of tea.

do you know what? i think societies psyche was different in the black and white days. of course there were crims, villains, dreadful things going on but it seems to me that the conscience and ethics of the 'old days' was different. respect and keeping a look out for others seemed more of a everyday norm.

reading the above:

a) i am not so old that i actually remember the old days
b) i may be looking through those rose-tinted specs again! :o

Spiral
Nov 25th, 2005, 10:38 AM
In the winter 2004 edition of The Vegan there is a piece about the early vegan society with a picture of twelve people at a vegan society meeting. One of the people at the meeting called Christina Harvey tells of her memories of that meeting and the people who attended. One of the people she mentions she calls Sally Shrigley who she says was one of the founder members of the vegan society and it's chairperson and she died in 1978.

Either Christina Harvey got the name wrong and Sally is Elsie, or Sally and Elsie are two different people :confused:

VeganJohn
Nov 25th, 2005, 11:52 AM

lol!!

:D

Spiral
Dec 2nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
It would seem that the person named as Sally Shrigley in the winter 2004 vegan mag was very likely Elsie Shrigley and sadly she died in the 1970s.

Red
Dec 3rd, 2005, 06:33 AM
It would seem that the person named as Sally Shrigley in the winter 2004 vegan mag was very likely Elsie Shrigley and sadly she died in the 1970s.

Thanks Spiral for all your information :) .

Thanks also to Gliondrach for the photo :) - everyone seemed so old compared to the young people I usually see at vegan functions.

Hopefully someone else may be able to add another piece to the jigsaw puzzle.