PDA

View Full Version : About milk and dairy products

Pages : [1] 2 3

artbeat
Jul 30th, 2004, 10:09 PM
http://www.notmilk.com/

cedarblue
Jul 31st, 2004, 04:26 PM
WOW great site in a grossly informative kind of way :)

gertvegan
Aug 1st, 2004, 06:28 PM
Theres also www.milksucks.com

cedarblue
Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:35 PM
freaky - i just checked milksucks out and got a BK popup!! :mad:

Korn
Aug 17th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Hi, I moved the made a new thread of the posts that discussed whether Robert Cohen/Jack Norris/Stephen Walsh caused harm to the vegan movement. It's here. (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802)

sionkali
Jul 12th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I've recently started feeding (or overfeeding, if there is such a thing) my brain with information (books particularly) about the meat and dairy industry and the horrible things they are doing to people right under their noses! I've read some things concerning the dairy industry, but I've had a hard time finding a well researched book specifically about this subject. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, if there are other books that anyone would like to suggest that I read (I like having good, solid, documented information to use when my grandparents and aunt question my eating habits)?

So far I have: "The Food Revolution", "Fast Food Nation", "Diet For A New America", "Slaughterhouse", "Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating"...there are a couple more, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Another thing I read somewhere and was curious about, although I'm not sure I can completley trust this person, was that soy milk is "supposedly" much worse for you than cows milk. I know this is a completley false statement, and I wondered what would prompt someone to say something like this, other than the fact that the dairy industry has beaten their message into our heads since the second we could listen and comprehend anything. Any ideas on this?

Thanks so much!!
Jen :o)

aubergine
Jul 14th, 2005, 01:34 PM
There was a study into the ill effects of soya quoted on the BBc a month or so ago, but the sample was very small. I also couldn't find any other information on the other possible health factors of the people involved - i.e. if they were smokers etc. I would regard this as highly suspicious. As I'm sure you have read, the dairy (and meat) industry is good at funding studies that try to prove their claims but they often prove the opposite.

absentmindedfan
Jul 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM
The study said Soya can slow down sperm, and thus can affect fertility. However the affects of this sperm-slowing chemical go away after 2 days of not ingesting soya. So simply put, don't drink soya milk around the most fertile time of the month and it wont affect conception.
The BBC was making this out as if all vegans are infertile freaks, when really I should imagine the healthy vegan will conceive far faster and easier than the fat, unhealthy meat-eater. Also like SPJ said, it was a tiny sample of people in the study and smoking, alcohol etc wasn't factored in.

Mozbee
Jul 14th, 2005, 02:39 PM
The healthy eating lady on the 'This Morning' show ITV was being negative about soya milk recently too, saying it wasn't as good as cows milk or words to that affect. There was no backup evidence given so I just sent them an e-mail and told them soya milk is much healthier from a cow's perspective. ;)

aubergine
Jul 14th, 2005, 04:26 PM
The healthy eating lady on the 'This Morning' show ITV was being negative about soya milk recently too, saying it wasn't as good as cows milk or words to that affect. There was no backup evidence given so I just sent them an e-mail and told them soya milk is much healthier from a cow's perspective. ;)

ITV daytime shows are becoming increasingly like tabloids on film. Nasty.

Hasha
Oct 11th, 2005, 04:40 AM
I was telling this friend of mine about how harmful dairy was health-wise, and she said she didn't believe me. So I told her that I could give her some links if she was interested, and if not, then never mind. She said I should give her some links.

So...

I was thinking about directing her to http://www.notmilk.com. But I vaguely remember someone saying that this web site made some dubious arguments or didn't have trustworthy sources or something like that... What do you guys think? Should I give her a link to NotMilk, or should I give her something else (suggestions would be welcome).

Thanks!

eve
Oct 11th, 2005, 08:47 AM
You might care to read an article by Dr Campbell here:
http://www.vegsource.com/articles/campbell_nyt_brody2.htm

FR
Oct 11th, 2005, 11:56 AM
freaky - i just checked milksucks out and got a BK popup!! :mad:

That is because PETA loves Murder King. I have heard those patties aren't even vegan anymore. The bread never was, and the method in which they were prepared was not vegan. Imagine a flame broiled veggie burger with a bunch of dead cow particles on it from the grill, how could that be vegan?

Other than that, I like how that site rips cow milk and exposes it for what it truly is.

gertvegan
Oct 11th, 2005, 12:00 PM
But I vaguely remember someone saying that this web site made some dubious arguments or didn't have trustworthy sources or something like that...Check out this (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802) thread Hasha.

Hasha
Oct 13th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Thanks Eve & Gert. :)

gertvegan
Feb 5th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Some may find it distressing.

Check out the Peta video at www.milkgonewild.com (http://www.milkgonewild.com/)

Pilaf
Feb 5th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Hahaha...that made my day :D

thecatspajamas1
Feb 6th, 2006, 12:32 AM
gross

tipsy
Feb 6th, 2006, 12:42 AM
thats great... one more hillarious way to reach the people.:D

cedarblue
Feb 6th, 2006, 07:46 AM
:mad:

harpy
Feb 6th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Yuck! I hope it at least has the desired effect - I'm not sure the point will be that obvious to the uninitiated.

gertvegan
Feb 6th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Super Bowl bans Animal rights campaign on milk

By Andrew Gumbel in Los Angeles
Published: 06 February 2006

http://news.independent.co.uk (http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article343472.ece)

Declaring war on milk is a cause unlikely to win many converts. On the other hand, depicting nubile young women getting drunk and pulling their tops off is more or less guaranteed to hold the momentary attention of at least 50 per cent of the planet.

That appears to be the logic behind the latest advertising campaign from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or Peta, the leading US animal rights campaign organisation.

A lavishly-produced television spot mimics the publicity for a sexploitation video venture called Girls Gone Wild: good-looking college girls go on spring break and flash for the cameras.

But in the Peta version, the girls have udders instead of breasts, which soon start leaking milk.

Using the slogan "Milk Gone Wild", the adverts aren't so much shocking as laugh-out-loud ridiculous. It's not clear what link is being made between the exhibitionist college girls and the supposed iniquities of milk.

Only a visit to the Milk Gone Wild website, and a viewing of a short documentary narrated by the actor Alec Baldwin, explains the case against the accompaniment to every kid's bowl of breakfast cereal.

Milk, Peta says, is the product of an industry gone wild, in which cows are separated from their offspring, only to be slaughtered for meat once they have outlived their productivity.

Milk, we are also told, contains pus and animal faeces and, contrary to received wisdom that says its calcium is good for your bones, might just as easily give you osteoporosis as prevent it.

This is probably not a message middle America is ready to hear, at least not without creating an unfortunate backlash. Nor is it likely to be aired on television in any major markets.

Peta offered to pay $2.2m (£1.2m) to the ABC network to air it during last night's Super Bowl but was turned down on the grounds the advert "falls outside the boundaries of good taste".

This was, admittedly, a disingenuous reason. Previous Super Bowl adverts have included a dog biting a man in the crotch, a flatulent horse, and any number of pitches for erectile dysfunction remedies.

By now, crying foul about censorship is part and parcel of Peta's campaigning platform. The advert, meanwhile, remains freely available for anyone with access to a computer to watch. And the verdict from iFilm, the online movie forum currently hosting the clip? "It's udderly disgusting."

KarmaGirl
Feb 6th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Their Q&A is pretty funny. I like this line from it: "Protein deficiency is almost unheard of, unless you live in a famine-stricken country or you’re Kate Moss."

Plunder Bunnie
Feb 6th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Ugh. I know they mean well essentially, but this is an example of why I hate PETA.

PinkLogik
Feb 6th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I'm a PETA supporter, but I do seriously think they need to reassess how they express things sometimes.....

They can be a tad over the top and embarrassing in my opinion, which could turn off potential supporters.

I can, however, see the point they're trying to get across with this footage though.