PDA

View Full Version : Where to find vegan footwear in USA?

Pages : 1 [2]

Vegmom
Sep 25th, 2007, 02:29 AM
New Balance
Converse
Crocs
Adidas
Vans
Sketchers
LEI
These all carry some non-leather shoes. Just keep a look out. Sometimes I'm suprised by which companies make non-leather shoes. :D

m@dgirl
Apr 16th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I'm finding that a lot of shoes (especially walking and running shoes) are not stating if they are made of leather of man made materials. I'm not a big shoe buyer, but this is bothering me. Has anyone else noticed this? Asking the sales help doesn't help. They never seem to know.

I noticed this too, so I smell them. It makes the clerks nervous. :o

Shrapnel
Jun 12th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I noticed this too, so I smell them. It makes the clerks nervous. :o
Them meaning the shoes, or the sales help (the latter would make them more nervous I'd wager)? :p

Sarah_
Aug 2nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Charlotte Russe!

ellaminnowpea
Aug 3rd, 2008, 04:08 AM
I'm getting so pissed that all the cute sneakers have leather. I have no problem finding vegan dressy shoes. But the only vegan skate shoes Ive found are Macbeths (pretty cute, in the guys section usually). I wear a lot of vans and converses. It's frustrating! I want these (http://journeys.com/catalog_zoom.aspx?PLOID=75523) and these (http://journeys.com/catalog_zoom.aspx?PLOID=75867) veganized.

... and maybe ethically made, cheaper, and vegan?!

phloxy
Aug 3rd, 2008, 05:45 AM
I don't like the fact that kids have to work in other countries, but one company cannot create the economic and cultural shift necessary to end that.

One vegan cannot create the social and cultural shift necessary to end animal suffering, but that doesn't mean we should all cease to be vegan or be kinda vegan or only make half an effort and blame others when nothing changes.

Collective effort by individuals is what makes a difference, and that is how it has always been. If these capitalistic abusers had any ethics at all, they'd take a leadership stance because that is the contribution to betterment that is in their power to make.

Children should not be working for a big corporation to make goods for greedy and materialistic Westerners. I don't care what cultural lens you look through, it's just not right. And if this kind of labor is expected of children, then they (or perhaps their guardians) should have a voice in what it is they're being asked to do and for whom. But with capitalism, that isn't going to happen.

I would love to believe that corporations are doing good and looking out for others, but it's just not (and really can't be) the case. They answer to their shareholders and to profit, and the rest is a whitewash (or greenwash, in some cases).

Gwydion
Aug 3rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
But the only vegan skate shoes Ive found are Macbeths

Etnies (http://store.etnies.com/FooterLinks/eStore_FAQS_locate.aspx#question07) have quite a good selection. Have no idea how 'ethically made' they are though.

MissAnnMai
Oct 15th, 2008, 02:28 AM
They have vegan Tom's available at Whole Food stores. The vegan Tom's will be available online in spring of 2009.

co_jad
Dec 4th, 2008, 10:30 PM
ellaminnowpea (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/member.php?u=8185) If your looking for Vegan skate shoes, any vans shoe will jeff rowleys name on it will be vegan..
Ipath also makes some great vegan options as well.

Vegmom
Dec 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
It can be tough to find good quality, stylish vegan shoes. I have been buying dress shoes from Pangea and sneaks from Payless. GQ magazine recently recommended Mooshoes and Vegetarian Shoes as vegan options (really! August issue, page 66).

I wondered if the problem finding vegan sneakers was the manufacturer or the store selection, so wrote to Nike, Adidas, and Puma. Adidas has none, Puma has a handful, but get this: Nike has over five hundred models of footwear made without animal parts. +500! It's just that our local stores don't carry the whole selection!! Check out this link to the Nike site (http://nike-store.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nike_store.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=54&p_created=974403253&p_sid=ENV75gei&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N 2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PW5vbi1hbmltYWwgZ m9vdHdlYXI*&p_li=&p_topview=1) or you can check out the whole story on my site's front page (http://www.naturalstatefoods.com/vegan.html).
I have some Adidas from maybe 4 years ago that say "made from all man made materials" . No leather at all. Hmmm...weird.

co_jad
Dec 5th, 2008, 01:39 AM
So Ive got a pretty well trained eye in differentiating leather from synthetics and ADIDAS Definitely has some synthetic shoes. In fact I sell some at work.
Id imagine that they probably can not guarantee that the glues used to assemble the shoes aren't animal based.
Generally the higher end road and trail running shoes are made of synthetic materials.
Alot of light hikers and a few backpacking boots are as well (though not most)are synthetic. There are also gore-tex/waterproof options for synthetic shoes now.
For casual shoes I choose Simple. They are one of my Fav. companies.

Pilaf
Dec 6th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Most New Balance shoes are actually vegan. I checked out their policy. There's a list of shoes that are vegan made by them. I usually have to wear sneakers made in this style because of my foot health issues.

Mahk
Dec 7th, 2008, 01:42 AM
+1^ on that New Balance suggestion. I'm lucky in that I live close to a NB factory outlet store and if you go in the sales staff knows which are vegan off the top of their heads!:eek: Of course don't ask for "vegan" but instead ask for "100% synthetic or man made". Works like a charm.

snivelingchild
Dec 8th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I'm going to have to recommend the vegan earthshoe sneakers. They cost more than most shoes I wear, but have replaced all my sneakers and are well worth the money. They wear in to fit your foot like a glove, and have drastically reduced my foot pain (chronic tendinitis from years of dancing), back pain, and even knee pain. They go with everything, and I wear them every day, but they still look like new. They are definitely worth the investment especially if you work on your feet all day.

Sarabi
Nov 12th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Good lord, it is hard to find affordable vegan shoes. Everything I've found is $42+ and shipping... well, I found a bunch of less expensive shoes at finishline.com, but what a LOAD of research I will have to do to figure out if any of that is vegan!! Is it even worth the time? I just want some shoes.