PDA

View Full Version : Where to find vegan footwear in USA?

Pages : [1] 2

Pembroke
Aug 1st, 2004, 12:53 AM
Does anyone know any good places to buy/order non-leather shoes in the US? I'm looking for some male (or non-gender specific, lol) tennis/athletic shoes........ or just some normal looking shoes :)

Any suggestions?

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 1st, 2004, 01:36 AM
http://www.veganessentials.com/
www.pangea.com

Hasha
Aug 1st, 2004, 02:24 AM
http://www.zappos.com/vegetarian.zhtml

Pembroke
Aug 1st, 2004, 02:32 AM
Thank you ;)

warheart77
Aug 2nd, 2004, 03:30 AM
http://mooshoes.com

propst89
Aug 15th, 2004, 05:18 PM
I cannot afford the expensive shoes that you can order off of vegan mailorder websites, but I have found that many shoes at Wal-mart and Payless are made of "all man-made materials". I'm not sure what kind of glue they use if that matters to you whether it is animal or plant based. Since I cannot afford expensive 100% animal friendly shoes, this is the next best thing.

DianeVegan
Apr 27th, 2005, 02:09 PM
If you live near a TJ MAX or Marshall's store, they get fabulous boots many times of the year (okay maybe we are coming into mostly sandal weather). You need to check the labels but I have gotten really fashionable shoes there from little-known companies. Of course, the big-name brands are almost exclusively leather, and most with the Made in Italy will be leather. It's very hit-or-miss, so don't give up after one stop.

And they're inexpensive!

snaffler
Apr 27th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Most of the stuff on Moo Shoes is from a UK store Called Veggie Shoes all good stuff :D

DianeVegan
Apr 30th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Try http://shoes.com and type in vegetarian. Also, Stride Rite has many veg shoes, just not advertised that way.

Korn
Jun 9th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Hi, we also have a thread about vegan footwear here:
http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3112&highlight=shoes

weird2twiggy
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:21 AM
ANYWHERE! just look at the label, if it says all man-made material, you're safe. i go to payless/target/wal mart. whatever!

DianeVegan
Aug 21st, 2005, 10:27 PM
I just found the most fabulous deal on CHEAP vegan sandals at..........CVS!!! They are even made in the U.S.A so you're supporting local economy. And they are advertised to give you a little reflexology session when you wear them. Most importantly, one of the pairs I purchased is quite dressy - I would definitely wear them with a dress or skirt. They have a website (http://okabashi.com) if you don't find them at CVS.

veghead
Oct 14th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I have fallen in love with the pair of Vegetarian Shoes Airseal shoes that I got from www.thevegetariansite.com. Made in England, they are definitely more expensive than those I used to buy at Payless, etc., but are truly breathable, nice-looking, and have decent support which I really need. After two years, they still look new so their longevity already is better than the hemp and fake leather shoes I used to wear. (Loved my Dejas, but they always wore out too fast.)

http://www.thevegetariansite.com/

moochbabe
Oct 16th, 2005, 05:50 AM
i went shopping at payless today, i'm not sure that they're made in as vegan of conditions as i'd prefer but i don't have a huge choice right now...i needed a ton of new shoes and buying that many pairs of shoes from a more expensive source would just be out of the question...anyway, they had really cute shoes and i got 4 pairs of comfortable shoes for a great price (they were having buy 1 get 1/2 off). but i also like to go to veganessentials.com (i think that's the site), and looking at what brands they offer that way i can shop for those shoes in the mall and other places...very cool, i think i'm going to go in search of some vans slips ons that are orange and blue, i saw them in a magazine once and fell in love, but could never find them...very cute and they're not like most of the vand checked slip-ons that seem like they're trying too hard (no offense to anyone who wears them, it's just that most ppl that wear them around here pretend like they're so hard-core and they don't even know what that means, i would know cuz i know i'm not, lol) :)

lauren rae
Jan 20th, 2006, 02:25 AM
I'm a regular shoe addict, so I hit up thrift stores and vintage shops a lot. You can get some really awesome deals and find a lot of shoes that are man-made.

But for my sneakers, it's got to be Onitsuka Tigers. They have a couple vegan styles. My favorites are the ones are the climbing sneakers. They have an awesome trend that works for, well, climbing, hiking, not slipping in the snow and rain, and are great for walking too (I probably walk almost a mile a day in mine).

chrismith
Mar 16th, 2006, 08:46 PM
montrail makes nice hiking shoes and such

Dawn
Apr 19th, 2006, 01:48 AM
www.alternativeoutfitters.com (http://www.alternativeoutfitters.com) has great vegan shoes and other stuff.
Shoe Pavilion has a lot of shoes made with man made materials as well. If you're looking for sneakers, New Balance makes non leather shoes.

Bodhi Warrior
Apr 19th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I've found Payless to be the best in the USA.
All the State Street shoes are vegan.
They're cheap, but usually knock offs of the latest styles.
You can order the online too.
:)

chickendude
Jul 19th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Does the "All Man-Made Materials" title also refer to the glue? And yes, as Payless is too cheap to buy leather shoes, just about all of their shoes are vegan (I was going to say all, but I'm not 100% sure).

maya
Jul 19th, 2006, 06:47 PM
From a shoe shopping addict

Mooshoes.com
Zappos.com
Hot Topic
Vans-they have awesome vegan sneakers
Ebay-Just bought some funky vegan combat boots

InTheory
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:23 PM
It can be tough to find good quality, stylish vegan shoes. I have been buying dress shoes from Pangea and sneaks from Payless. GQ magazine recently recommended Mooshoes and Vegetarian Shoes as vegan options (really! August issue, page 66).

I wondered if the problem finding vegan sneakers was the manufacturer or the store selection, so wrote to Nike, Adidas, and Puma. Adidas has none, Puma has a handful, but get this: Nike has over five hundred models of footwear made without animal parts. +500! It's just that our local stores don't carry the whole selection!! Check out this link to the Nike site (http://nike-store.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nike_store.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=54&p_created=974403253&p_sid=ENV75gei&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N 2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PW5vbi1hbmltYWwgZ m9vdHdlYXI*&p_li=&p_topview=1) or you can check out the whole story on my site's front page (http://www.naturalstatefoods.com/vegan.html).

Tigerlily
Aug 23rd, 2006, 02:47 AM
I wouldn't support Nike anyway.

Roxy
Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:15 AM
I wear sneakers to work and for 2 years in a row I have bought Fila shoes. They are black canvass and seem to last about a year, before they start falling apart. That's pretty good considering how often they get worn. I buy them at Sportcheck (and have been lucky enough to get them on sale both times :D ).

InTheory
Aug 24th, 2006, 12:00 AM
I wouldn't support Nike anyway.

Hi Tigerlily. As a vegan I have always felt like a lot of major corporations, Nike included, have taken unfair advantage of people and other animals. That was a primary motivation of mine to get a degree; I wanted to find out more about what motivated the business machine and be a part of positive change. Nike was one of the companies I studied, because their human rights record was so horrible. As an opinionated vegan I was ready to nail them to the wall, but tried to stay objective while I collected facts. It became clear that Nike was getting snowed by the third world factories to which they had outsourced their manufacturing. Nike were not directly responsible for the abuse and the horrible conditions, but by employing the slum factories from thousands of miles away they indirectly supported it. When the bad conditions got the press Nike started to inspect the factories and got a shock. They wrote a code of conduct for these outsource factories and now perform regular surprise factory inspections to make sure that the code is upheld. The factory owners don't want to lose the steady Nike cash, so they actually comply.

Your average jock probably doesn't care where his or her sneakers were made, how old the maker was, or how much the maker made per hour. The bad press Nike got all those years ago did not stop shoe sales or profits. Nike could have done nothing and continued to successfully make millions. Instead, they took it upon themselves as corporate citizens to ensure that conditions improved. As a vegan, I appreciate that.

A big difference that I didn't recognize at the time was cultural. I've lived in the US, UK, and Canada; in none of these countries do children work in factories. Additionally, in all three countries the average wage is substantially higher than in most of the rest of the world. My own rake-them-over-the-coals opinon of Nike was largely due to my applying of my own cultural norms to the cultures of other countries. I forgot the "when in Rome" thing. In other countries child labor isn't just accepted, it's actually expected as part of supporting the family. The wages paid are often extremely low, but the average wage for anyone in that country was often extremely low compared to what I was used to. I don't like the fact that kids have to work in other countries, but one company cannot create the economic and cultural shift necessary to end that.

Sorry to go on so much; just wanted to give them a break. They've improved, and they're improving workers' lives. I don't even own a pair of Nikes; I just wish that the good news made the news more often.

Wishes
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I'm finding that a lot of shoes (especially walking and running shoes) are not stating if they are made of leather of man made materials. I'm not a big shoe buyer, but this is bothering me. Has anyone else noticed this? Asking the sales help doesn't help. They never seem to know.