PDA

View Full Version : Veganism in India

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Roxy
Apr 6th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Do not eat Sweet stuff, usually all contains dairy products and white sugar.

Manish Jain

Hi Manish

Do you know of a vegan way to make Gulab Jamun?

I used to love this sweet treat, before I was vegan.

indianvegan
Apr 6th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Hi Manish

Do you know of a vegan way to make Gulab Jamun?

I used to love this sweet treat, before I was vegan.

:p Vegan Gulab Jamun :p ( Gulab = Roseflower, Jamun is a local fruit here)

http://www.eurasie.net/webzine/IMG/jpg/gulabjamun.jpg

mmmmmmmm..I once tried it.

It tastes good if it is served warm/hot.

List of Ingredients

Balls:

* 1 cup White Flour/Rice Flour/Wheat Flour ( Better mixture of all )
* ¼ cup Soft Tofu
* 1tsp Margarine
* 1 tsp icing sugar
* Enough water to mix into a dough like consistency

Glaze:

* 3 cups Vegan sugar
* 1 cup water
* Cardamom and rosewater/saffron for garnish (to taste)

1. Roll dough into small balls, deep fry in Oil under medium heat until golden brown, drain on paper towel.

2. Heat water and sugar until all of the sugar is dissolved. Break up cardamom and add to glaze. Add rosewater to taste

3. Soak gulabjamun balls in syrup, serve warm as desert

Manish Jain

Roxy
Apr 6th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Ohhhhh thank you so much Manish!! :D

I have never seen Rosewater for sale here. Maybe I'll be able to find it at an Indian grocery store.

indianvegan
Apr 6th, 2006, 05:16 AM
You are always welcome,Roxy, beautiful lady of VF. I do remember very well,when I joined this forum, you were the first to whom I sent PM.

Manish Jain

skyvegan
Apr 8th, 2006, 03:53 AM
have taken note of those places manish... what is it like to stay at those jain places u mention.

is it possible to stay at gandhi's ashram?

we can't wait to come but the july 1st plane is full and we are on a wait list for a place...

my friend can only come on that day as he is a science teacher and can only come on his two weeks holidays...

he is an environmentalist and animal rights person. i am more a lover of all that lives... sort of a gaiast... vegan is my food choice... not my label... though i am happy to be identified as such as all my favourite people are vegans...

i have a friend jayen who is veganish? he is jain and lives in bharuch.

thanks for your advice.

colin

indianvegan
Apr 8th, 2006, 05:04 AM
is it possible to stay at gandhi's ashram?

i have a friend jayen who is veganish? he is jain and lives in bharuch.

thanks for your advice.

colin

I do not think, Gandhi Aashram has staying facility.

But, you can stay in Jain Dharamshala in Ahemdabad ( a metro city, where Gandhi Aashram is located).

15th July onwards till 31st August is full of rains in Gujarat.

Bharuch has beautiful Jain temples.

Manish Jain

indianvegan
Apr 8th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Your friend is Jain ?

Manish Jain

skyvegan
Apr 8th, 2006, 09:31 AM
hi manish. thanks. well that will be pretty cool. we are on a waiting list for a july 1st flight to delhi then to ahemdabad and we will be gone by the 15th...

rain will scare neither of us though,,, in nz it is winter, cold and wet.

i will stay in india a few weeks more. i am keen also to see varanasi again and to visit goa. i would like to get up to manali too if i have time. i love india and the culture.

yes my indian friend in bharuch is jain. my travelling companion and i are non religious, though i find all life to be sacred, though lost and bewildered with top heavy parasitic leadership.... mmmm should't get too heavy... keep it light and friendly eh? :-)

where is bharuch? cannot find it on map...

peace

colin

indianvegan
Apr 8th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Bharuch----http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/gujarat/districts/bharuch.htm

You will get train connection from Ahemdabad.

Manish Jain

veganashtangi
Apr 16th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Indian cuisine might not be 100% vegan but, fortunately, many classical recipes can be turned vegan simply replacing gee and dairy by vegan alternatives. I've tried this myself and the result was delicious! Shortly before becoming a vegan (but following a vegetarian diet already), I bought Yamuna Devi's "Lord Of Krishna's Cuisine", during a trip to London. After the transition, I refused to think that could take no advantage of such a thorough book just because some ingredients were not vegan. Thus, I decided to just replace the ingredients that were non-vegan and man, are they yummy!

Btw, I love Mysore sandalwood soap! I bought like 10 bars on that trip, because I can't find it where I live. What I recently discovered in an Indian grocery here is coconut oil, which works wonders in my awfully dry hair!

indianvegan
Apr 16th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Yes,exactly, Indian Vegetarian recipe can be easily modified in to Vegan versions.

Coconut oil is very good for skin and hair too.

I too use Mysore Sandal and Chandrika too. You can also find out Vicco tooth paste and turmeric cream for face at Indian grocery stores. Vicco brand is Vegan. They have mentioned this. For shaving I use same bath soap.

Manish Jain

skyvegan
Apr 16th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Bharuch----http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/gujarat/districts/bharuch.htm

You will get train connection from Ahemdabad.

Manish Jain

what about varanasi? is it safe to visit there at the moment? some trouble has appeared in the news.:confused:

thanks for the map but it seems u have to pay to make sence of it... i think bharuch must have another name as it is not in my own atlas book...peace colin....:) :)

indianvegan
Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:27 AM
Traffic sense of Indians _ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

Manish Jain

indianvegan
Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:28 AM
what about varanasi? is it safe to visit there at the moment? some trouble has appeared in the news.:confused:

thanks for the map but it seems u have to pay to make sence of it... i think bharuch must have another name as it is not in my own atlas book...peace colin....:) :)

Varanasi is safe. :)

Manish Jain

skyvegan
Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:06 PM
Traffic sense of Indians _ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

Manish Jain

that is so cool manish. cheers.

we are travelling by train. arrive delhi early july 6. on 7th train to jaipur.
on 8th train to udaipur. 9th to ahmadabad. 11th bhuruch... is our tentative plan...:)

peace

colin.... any vegans along the way we would love to meet...:)

indianvegan
Apr 24th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Skyvegan, how many persons will accompany you in the tour ? All are Vegans?

P.S. : Bread generally available in India contains unless it is whole wheat bread. So just check it before buying. But, Toast is milk free.

Manish Jain

skyvegan
Apr 24th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Skyvegan, how many persons will accompany you in the tour ? All are Vegans?

P.S. : Bread generally available in India contains unless it is whole wheat bread. So just check it before buying. But, Toast is milk free.

Manish Jain

hi... two of us... males. we both like whole grain breads...:)

peace

colin.

indianvegan
Aug 11th, 2006, 04:19 PM
You are invited to attend forthcoming exhibition on Veganism.

Date: 26th and 27th August,2006

Time: 08.00 AM - 6.00 PM

Exhibition on Vegan life

Venue: Ahimsa Bhawan, Near Jain Dadawadi Temple, Near Saras Bag, Pune
(Contact Mr. Dhiraj Jain, Pune 09890793853 Mr. Manoj Oswal 02066017797)

Co-ordinators:- Dhiraj Jain and Manoj Oswal from Pune, Surendra Shah( 70 years, Vegan fellow from Mumbai), Manish Jain from Indore

arozin
Mar 20th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Veganism is alive and well in South India. For Vegans looking to be part of an amazing project in South India please take the time to read the following.

iGreetings from Sadhana Forest.

We are curently looking for volunteers/interns to work on this ongoing project. Please be so kind as to forward this information to people within the vegan community who may be able to help with this.

Sadhana Forest is a Permaculture Reforestation project in Southern India practising sustainability within the community.

Our main aim is the reforestation of 70 acres of severely eroded land. We are working to re-create the Tropical Dry Evergreen Forest indigenous to our area. This forest type is found only in Southern India and Sri Lanka and provides a rare biological richness due to its very high species abundance (over 1000 species of trees, shrubbery, and liana). The Tropical Dry Evergreen Forest is now close to total extinction as only 0.01% survives. This is a last minute effort to keep this very rich and beautiful Forest on earth.

Facilties here include a library, small swimming pool, use of bicycles, internet access and the opportunity to participate in occasional workshops (eg. sustainable living). We practice an eco-friendly way of life including veganism, vegan/organic gardening, alternative construction, solar energy, biodegradable toiletries, and compost toilets.

We are looking for Project Co-ordinators. The posts will be voluntary and for 4 months or more. Full board is provided for those staying for a minimum of 4 months.

The posts are as follows:

1. Vegan/organic Gardener - following Fukuoka's principles of minimal intervention - to be responsible for the creation and the maintanance of the vegetable garden, fruit orchard and compost system. Local advice will be available in order to adapt skills and knowledge to suit this tropical environment.
2. Forest Worker - for the indigenious planting and after-care of the trees, continuing the use of natural fertilizers and pesticides and water and soil conservation. This person will also be required to lead a team of between 5 - 70 International volunteers. They will, therefore, need to be responsible, punctual, gentle and effective.
3. Ecological Park Co-ordinator - someone who likes working with children and can apply sustainable design in a fun and creative way as this position involves designing an environment which demonstrates sustainable living practices for the young local community to learn from.
4. Kitchen Manager - A creative and resourceful person to cook healthy, vegan meals for large numbers, source organic local produce and to train volunteers.

Further exciting opportunities exist for those willing to make a longer term commitment upon completion of the initial 4 month period.

For further information about the project contact us:
aviram@ auroville.org.in
Please mention "long term position" in the email subject box.
Contact details:
Yorit and Aviram Rozin
Sadhana Forest
Auroville 605101
India

Tel: 00-91-413-2677682/3 or 00-91-413-2002655

On leaving us, one of our volunteers wrote, 'May there be many more forests to grow people."

skyvegan
Mar 20th, 2007, 05:54 AM
:)

hi my indian pals... a little catch up news first. in 06 we went to gurjarat to see for ourselves the jain teachings and to meet the people. we had a great enlightening time.

in september i will be back for the 11th Vegan Festival and in south india.

now i recieve this amazing post from yorit and aviram and i have to laugh having just turned my back on a vegan shop management opportunity with pretty good pay... mainly because i know shop work is not my thing even though all the customers are the coolest of the cool people.

then your job opportunities come up... and seriously... i am interested if they can be fitted in...

vegan/organic gardener. thats almost me.. i veganicly garden and landscape too... i avoid killing insects with any means. i manage here no problem and my garden is home to millions of hungry insects. there is enough for us all and they are part of the divine plan too...

I am also a vegan chef and have been teaching vegan cooking for the past four years... but this will not be challenging enough for me... but i can help anywhere i am needed... i take it this is a team thing...

keep talking... i will email this on to u for further discussion and will post your post opportunities around nz... keep well...

sky vegan.

shannade
Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
I had been to Aviram's Sadhana Forest recently for a brief stay. I liked it very much. Therefore, given this as an option to visit after the IVF for IVF participants.

Shankar.

indianvegan
Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:35 PM
Yes, Shanker, I too stayed there as a volunteer in Sadhana Forest in Auroville.

Manish

zeitgeist
Sep 8th, 2007, 10:26 PM
It's always great to see fellow Indians putting the right foot forward-

anula
Jan 14th, 2008, 11:46 AM
im from the UK but i live in goa as much as i can, about ten months a year. i travelled extensively in this beautiful country b4 settling down here in goa to work for an animal rescue charity.

veganism is only acheivable here when i eat at home which means even my movement around the country/my town is limited. there's dairy laced in everything. i have a marvelous ayurvedic doctor but she does promote ghee as life giving and my attempts several years ago ended in vomiting. Can someone tell me how some ayur.docs say milk is one of the 5 white poisons and others claim it to be the nectar of life? it is such a contradiction in the teachings?

my doc did explain why milk is so revered in what she learnt at her ayur.college and that was b'cause it is GIVEN> making it very satvic. Well, i find it hard to belive that even in times gone by it was ever given? it's theft and always has been? i see from my travels that milk and its products and disasterously and deeply ingrained in the culture here.

Korn
Jan 14th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Welcome, Anula!

The minute cows will sting you like a bee and insert milk into your body without your effort, which probably won't happen this year, milk is 'given'. Until then, it's 'taken'. Producing milk also involved taking the calf away from it's mother, and in most places, taking the cow away from it's natural surroundings.

Can someone tell me how some ayur.docs say milk is one of the 5 white poisons and others claim it to be the nectar of life? it is such a contradiction in the teachings? It is a contradiction. Most Western governments (their dept. of health) also encourage people to eat less meat and more fruit and vegetables, but still sponsor the meat industry and govern their countries in ways that means that it's still hard to find plant based meals, even in hospitals (for patients suffering from diseased known to be associated with meat/animal products). Life is full of contradictions, and the non-vegan world additionally have offer quite a few contradictions we don't need at all!