PDA

View Full Version : Veganism in India

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

indianvegan
Aug 1st, 2004, 10:30 AM
Veganism is in very primary stage in India, except few cities like Indore,Mumbai,New Delhi,Banglore,Calcutta, no one knows about it. It is very common perception here that people using dairy but no meat and eggs are "real vegetarians".

But slowly it is getting one sense that there is an exploitation of cows by milking them. Lacto Vegetarian people in India can not imgine that they are less than 100%.

There is too much attention is given to Eggs, most Hindus+Jain(lacto veggie community) are very particular about checking egg contents in various stuff. The main reason for not eating Egg is entirely different from the Western world.They just dont eat EGGs. They think, it is killing of unborn birds inside.No one ever thinks about cruelty against birds inside cages.

Apart from these two People are too much fancied by White Sugar,Ghee(a milk product almost like liquid butter),Paneer ( another animal milk product looks and taste almost like tofu( soya product). Veggie people can not imgine their life without these stuffs.

But, growing number of Cardiac patients have turned several people away from ghee, more specifically Young Indians are more diet particular.

But , still , what I feel that they are lacking information.

Almost all lacto vegetarians mostly are Hindus and Jain community people are using other animal products like Leather,Silk,Woolen,Furs,soaps, pearls( pearls are cruel stuffs),cosmetics.

Though there are some people in Jain community who are not using some of accessories. But there are many Jains outside India who are enjoying Vegan life.

One more drawback is that most of the people here away from computer and internet world they are lacking information source.Like we are the only 3 Vegan peoples from India on this forum.

There are some good institutions here in India, which are doing some good work for animal welfare though it is not enough.

Highest awareness has started is in respect of Animal leather and Silk.
Many lacto-veggies have realised that leather is Gross,so they have started dropping leather. Secondly, Jain women who are used to with Silk fabrics till, now they have started to remove this one from their life.

Manish

Korn
Aug 1st, 2004, 11:00 AM
In the south, a lot of Indians use tomatoes and coconut milk instead of milk when cooking dinner, don't they? Are there groups of Indians that are vegans by tradition?

And - how many vegetarians (including lacto-vegetarians) are there in India? I've seen various estimates.... Any idea?

indianvegan
Aug 1st, 2004, 12:17 PM
There is no official counting as such. But what I feel that , they are very good % .
Even meat eaters do prefer veggies many occassions. Many meat eaters do not cook meat at home.

South Indian do eat lot of fermented foods like Idli,dosa,Bada, where Yeast is used.Sounth Indian Idli and Dosa are quite famous through out India.(basic stuff is rice flour and Dal)

Coconut milk is quite common there in South India, they I am scared if they do use other animal milk products like Ghee,Butter,Mawa,Cheese, though they might not be using "animal milk".

but more interestingly, in India there are some of Animal fat free soaps..all from Southern part of India. One brand is Chandrika and another is Mysore Sandal soaps.

I am still looking for Vegans from South India, if they are real Vegan.

Manish Jain.

~*Blue*~
Sep 1st, 2004, 10:14 PM
hi...(i probably should not even reply to this thread since i'm not living in india). i might move next year to dubai and i may visit india as a result of that, so if i go, i'll be calling you to ask you what dishes have animal products in them! i used to love eating burfi (spelling?) but i wasn't sure what was in it, i assumed milk and lots of sugar? actually, i was born in kerala (forgive my ignorance and spelling of the cities!) but was only there for a year as a baby.

indianvegan
Sep 2nd, 2004, 04:18 AM
i may visit india as a result of that, so if i go, i'll be calling you to ask you what dishes have animal products in them! i used to love eating burfi (spelling?) but i wasn't sure what was in it, i assumed milk and lots of sugar?

Burfi does have animal milk product( Mawa ) plus white sugar. When you are in India, you will have to ask for dairy free + white sugar free vegetarian stuffs. Dairy milk products in India-Milk,Paneer(taste like Tofu),Cheese,Mawa,Ghee ( kind of liquid butter),Butter(called here Makkhan)

You are welcome any time in India. You may contact me via my website.

Manish Jain.

tails4wagging
Oct 14th, 2004, 03:17 PM
We have a large asian population in the midlands (UK) and I thought all Hindus are veggie am I right?. Are Hare Krishna vegans?

indianvegan
Oct 14th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Hare Krishna followers are generally use animal milk and milk products but they need not be lacto Veggie compulsorily, they can be Vegan too. But I wonder , how anti animal milk people could adjust with lacto veggies.

It is right that most Hindus are lacto-veggie. But, in modern times, many of them are eating chicken,eggs,and some of them meat too. Eggs in many forms is used by many Hindus.

Sanctity of many hindus has almost vanished.

Manish

Trendygirl
Oct 15th, 2004, 02:48 AM
I live in the UK but my boyfriends parents are veggie Hindus from India. I feel lucky when I go to there house as they don’t use gee and therefore most of the food they make is vegan. However they do consume milk, Paneer and on occasions eggs, they also have a leather couch and wear leather shoes. When my boyfriend confronted his mom about the leather couch she said that she believed that the cow had died of natural causes before it was skinned. He made her watch a video about Indian cows on the internet, she was quite upset and said that she would try not to by leather from then on. I don’t know is she has stuck to this though.

Are all veggies by religion in India blind to the suffering of cows?

indianvegan
Oct 15th, 2004, 03:18 AM
Yeah, Trendy, most people are blind to animal abuse. Trendy, you can pass on my website to that Hindu family. It has got around 60 posters. They have been made in Hindi. I bet, they would turn Vegan after watching/reading those. :)

John
Oct 15th, 2004, 07:43 AM
I just visited your site, View. Could we (vegans) be the only ones who love animals?

indianvegan
Oct 15th, 2004, 03:59 PM
No, John I did not mean that.

Manish

John
Oct 15th, 2004, 10:24 PM
I didn't mean that you meant anything. After visiting your site I just felt vexed with the people of the world. How could people not care about baby cows and all the other animals? I wasn't accusing you of anything, I was just a little upset. Good website though.

John
Oct 16th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Just to clarify, of course you mean something. :o I just don't make any sense.

tails4wagging
Oct 17th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Just visited you site, Manish and I've added to my favourites so I can take some of your recipes!!. I love Indian food, but not very good at making it myself!.

indianvegan
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:33 AM
It is ok. You may send private message or chat or email me for any clarification about Indian recipe.

Manish

tails4wagging
Oct 20th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Recipe for Indian Korma please?. I do miss that, when I used to be veggie, I had that from 'Take aways'.

indianvegan
Oct 20th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Vegan Korma here--
Ingredients:
100g Tofu
400g boiled carrots, beans, potatoes & peas
100g oil
10g coriander leaves
100g soya cream
5g garam masala
10g ginger-garlic
200g coconut milk/soya milk
2 onions
5g chili powder
Salt to taste
3 tomatoes
3g turmeric
Vegetable Korma

Method:
Heat oil in a wide pan, cut Tofu pieces and keep aside. Fry the onions and ginger-garlic paste until golden color.
Now add turmeric, chopped tomatoes, chili powder, cilantro, garam masala, salt and fry for 5 minutes.
Then add chopped potatoes, carrots, beans, peas, Tofu pieces, milk, cream and cook for 5-6 minutes or until done.

Serve hot with naans or plain rice.

tails4wagging
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Thanks, I will try it tonight. :)

tails4wagging
Oct 21st, 2004, 07:38 AM
thanks,let-me view. Tried the korma, lovely.

Mozbee
May 13th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Manish

I live in a city in the North East of England where there has been a Buddhist community for a number of years. From the insight I have, due to family members and friends who are members of two separate Bubbhist groups, I've got the impression,there are no vegan Buddhists in my area. Is this the case in India, Manish?

indianvegan
May 13th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Mozbee, in India, there is no recognition regarding in Veganism as such except few organisation like PETA,BWC(Beauty without cruelty),Other Animal Welfare Society are working on similar track.People are not aware of Veganism. People are ignorant about it.I have been trying to publicise it.Atleast, in my city, within few years, ppl would become aware about Veganism.
But, there are many lacto-vegetarians ppl and society.

There is very nice and big enough Jain Society.Jain people generally are not Vegan though but they are more compassionate than other Hindu.Jain still use dairy products but many of them do not use Leather.They live very special life and special diet too.

Animal Milk has been considered as very pious thing till now.But, now ppl are coming to know about Animal abuse in using milk and milk products.It was time when Soya milk was not available here, but now it is seen in the stores.

Manish Jain

eve
Jul 9th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Fast foods are sweeping across India - McD has many outlets, and there's Subway, Pizza Hut, and KFC doing good business. There's a company called MTF (Mavalli Tiffin Room) that has become a giant distributor of instant products.

I guess Indian women have had enough of mortars and pestles, and other time-consuming methods. MTR sells its products in vacuum-sealed pouches. Whilst there's a move in some countries to turn away from fast foods, these fast-food companies are looking at a billion+ inhabitants, a quarter of whom are middle class - a veritable goldmine.

But in Delhi there's a 20-seater organic slow food cafe, called Navdanya, opened last year by Vandana Shiva and Maya Jani. Anything connected with Vandana Shiva must be good, so let's hope the slow food idea will oust the fast foods!

indianvegan
Sep 15th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I just visited your site, View. Could we (vegans) be the only ones who love animals?

How could one love animals on the one hand and kill them on otherside. :confused:

I do not think so.

Manish

indianvegan
Sep 15th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Manish

I live in a city in the North East of England where there has been a Buddhist community for a number of years. From the insight I have, due to family members and friends who are members of two separate Bubbhist groups, I've got the impression,there are no vegan Buddhists in my area. Is this the case in India, Manish?

There are very few Vegans in India.It is gaining popularity slowly. :) Vegetarianism is common here.

Manish

Kiran
Sep 15th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I am still looking for Vegans from South India, if they are real Vegan.

Well.. guess what? An udupi Bhramin who is a Vegan.. Thats me..