PDA

View Full Version : Orellana Clothing Collection Company: Anyone heard of them?

Lily
Dec 7th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Hi everyone, sorry if this is going to be a bit long winded!

I've been sorting out some old clothes and other bits and pieces that are too good to throw away so I was planning to take them to Oxfam. I was wondering this afternoon how I'm going to manage getting it all there (I have a disability, use a walking stick and can't carry much, this stuff is very heavy and there's nowhere to park nearby and no-one to do it for me).

Then, by a strange coincidence, I noticed a leaflet that had been put through my letterbox which was asking for clothing. It's from a company named Orellana, and they are also asking for blankets, sheets, shoes, handbags, belts, bath and hand towels, curtains, underwear, cosmetics, toiletries and perfumes.

The leaflet requests that these items are put into a plastic bag or box and left out for collection by one of their drivers (who carry ID) this Friday.

At the bottom in very small print it says:

Orellana Ltd is a collection company who provide people in third world countries with clothes for their families they can afford. It provides jobs in third world countries, sorting the clothes for distribution. It provides business for UK export, for transport companies. It provides employment in the UK factories grading the clothes. It provides employment for people collecting the bags door to door.
Orellana Ltd Company Reg No 5496347.

Well what I'm wondering is, are they a genuine company? Why are they not GIVING the things to the people in the third world countries? How do I know they're not just planning on taking all the stuff they collect and selling it at a car boot sale or similar? How can I find out? I googled the company name but couldn't find them. Has anybody else heard of them?

If anyone has any information or suggestions I'd be very grateful. Call me suspicious/cynical but I just want to make sure this is a trustworthy scheme before I donate anything.:o

Seaside
Dec 9th, 2005, 06:48 AM
This might help you, Lily. www.charitynavigator.org
Its American, but they have a charity evaluation request function that might be useful.

Geoff
Dec 9th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Lily - If you ring Oxfam, I'm sure they'll find someone to pick the stuff up. (I'd do it but I'm a bit too far away!) :)

Lily
Dec 9th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Thankyou for the link, Seaside :). I searched the site but found nothing on Orellana. I sent an email anyway though just in case they can be of any help, although it's too late on this occasion because, due to my uncertainty I haven't rushed to bag up all my unwanted stuff and the collection was due today. It bugs me that there's no contact no. on the leaflet:confused:.

I think I'll take Geoff's advice (thankyou, Geoff :) ) and ask Oxfam to come and collect.

Gorilla
Dec 12th, 2005, 08:47 AM
i get these sort of leaflets through the door a lot. most of them are for companies that make money by selling on the clothes they collect. they are NOT charities and have no consideration for anything but profit. i don't know about this particular company you mention but i'd steer clear of these myself, i'd rather give to a charity. the Salvation Army are a good one for collecting bags of clothes IMO, as i believe a lot of the clothing goes to the homeless in this country.

Pob
Dec 12th, 2005, 09:16 AM
i get these sort of leaflets through the door a lot. most of them are for companies that make money by selling on the clothes they collect. they are NOT charities and have no consideration for anything but profit. i don't know about this particular company you mention but i'd steer clear of these myself, i'd rather give to a charity. the Salvation Army are a good one for collecting bags of clothes IMO, as i believe a lot of the clothing goes to the homeless in this country.This is true - there was an investigation into it on the TV a few months back. The clothing often ends up being sold in Eastern Europe.

Lily
Dec 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks, Gorilla and Rob :). Sounds like my suspicions were justified then :(. Actually I'm not too keen on Oxfam either at the moment, what with their 'give a cow/goat' (whatever) campaign :mad:. I hadn't thought of the Salvation Army though, Thanks for reminding me :).