PDA

View Full Version : Lebkuchen

applepie
Dec 10th, 2005, 04:34 PM
In Germany we have a very long tradition of baking all sorts of Christmasy biscuits. The best ones are Lebkuchen, a sort of spiced gingerbread - nothing like the dry stuff you buy in supermarkets.
The dough really should be made 3 weeks ahead so that the flavours can develop, but if you hurry they will still be good.

3 lbs Flour
1 1b molasses
1 cupbrown sugar
5 oz margarine
2 oz candied orange peel
1 cup rose water (or 1 cup water)
1/2 oz Cloves
1/2 oz Cinnamon
1 grated lemon rind
1 cup almonds, blanched and split in halves
1 1/2 cups candied fruit and raisins

Bring molasses and sugar to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes. (to disolve sugar)
Let cool then stir in everything else, with the flour being last.
Let the dough stand covered, at room temperature for 3 weeks.If you don't have that much time its okay.
Roll out fairly thin, cut into rectangles 1 and a half inches by 3 inches (4 x 8 cm) with a fluted cutting wheel, or just a knife.
Roll out fairly thin, cut into rectangles 1and a half inches by 3 inches (4 x 8 cm) with a fluted cutting wheel, or just a knife.
Try a few cookies and bake in a 325 degree oven for 10 minutes, and let cool.Check the texture. If you desire a crispier texture, bake an additional 5 min.
This recipe makes lots of cookies, but they keep well if kept in a tightly covered tin or in the Freezer. Don't usually keep long though...

Lily
Dec 10th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Oh my God!!! I have GOT to make some of these. Does it matter if you don't let the dough stand at all?!

I can't wait just to lick the bowl out!:D

applepie
Dec 10th, 2005, 06:05 PM
They do taste divine when the dough has been left to mature, but I usually can't be bothered to leave them for that long. However my granny does and they do taste differently. Oh, I think that whole business of Christmas biscuits is the only thing I really miss about Germany *sad*

aubergine
Dec 14th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I love Lebkuchen. Mmmm.

harpy
Dec 14th, 2005, 12:38 PM
That sounds good, applepie. Maybe I'll try making it - am starting to feel guilty about buying everything ready-made after reading about JustMe's baking activities :o

harpy
Dec 18th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I did have a shot but hit a problem - probably down to my own ineptitude as I very rarely do any baking.

The mixing went fine until I tried to add the flour but then it got so stiff that I couldn't stir it with a spoon. I ended up kneading it with my hands but even so I couldn't work in all the flour and the mixture I ended up with was rather "floury".

Applepie, do you find you can mix in the full 3lbs of flour with a spoon? Maybe I just need to build my biceps a bit more ;)

Jane M
Dec 18th, 2005, 05:21 PM
It's been a serious long time since I made Lebkuchen myself....and boy am I glad to find a vegan version!!!!! We use to use more almonds than candied fruit but I like this one better...ends that craving for fruit cake I get this time of year.

What I remember about the ones we used to make...eggs and butter...blah blah. Is that the dough was really stiff...and we had to knead the last of the flour in. I guess German house fraus were suppose to have serious pecs.

BTW...Lebkuchen you wouldn't have a recipe for your name sake would you????? Use to love those little anise seed goodies...

applepie
Dec 18th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Sorry, harpy, should have written down everything rather than assuming the (not so) obvious: as it is a very stiff dough, I stir everything together until it gets too stiff, and then I knead the last bit of flour in.
Good training for your biceps though - just think of the typical German housewife who at least bakes 20 different sorts of Christmas biscuits!

Tigerlily
Dec 18th, 2005, 06:58 PM
OMG sounds delicious!

Lily
Dec 19th, 2005, 12:43 AM
I found a 'Lebkuchen' Yankee Samplers candle in a shop last week and I can't wait to use it - it smells wonderful!

edupen
Dec 20th, 2005, 05:02 AM
hhmmm...sounds good, maybe i'll try that one..by the way im ahlia, newbie here :D