PDA

View Full Version : PETA killing animals?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Pilaf
Jun 17th, 2005, 11:14 PM
PETA Workers Arrested for Alleged Cruelty

Email this Story

Jun 17, 2:15 PM (ET)

AHOSKIE, N.C. (AP) - Two employees of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals were charged with animal cruelty for allegedly picking up dogs and cats from shelters and dumping their dead bodies in the garbage.

Police said they found 18 dead animals in the bin and 13 more in a van registered to the activist group, all from shelters in the state's northeastern corner.

Investigators arrested the two workers after staking out a garbage bin where animals had previously been dumped, police said Thursday.

PETA President Ingrid Newkirk said the workers were picking up animals to be brought to PETA headquarters for euthanization. Veterinarians and animal control officers said the PETA workers had promised to find homes for the animals rather than euthanize them, according to police.

Neither police nor PETA offered any theory on why the animals might have been dumped.

PETA spokeswoman Colleen O'Brien said the organization euthanizes animals by lethal injection, which it considers more humane than gassing animals in groups, as some counties do.

The group scheduled a news conference Friday in Norfolk, Va., where the group is based.

Police charged Andrew Benjamin Cook, 24, of Virginia Beach, Va., and Adria Joy Hinkle, 27, of Norfolk, Va., each with 31 felony counts of animal cruelty and eight misdemeanor counts of illegal disposal of dead animals. They were released on bond.

No home telephone number was listed for either Hinkle or Cook, and a message left for Cook at PETA headquarters was not returned. A PETA spokesman said he did not know how to reach Hinkle.

PETA members...participating in animal cruelty? That makes me sad if it's true.

tails4wagging
Jun 18th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Very sad, thats the sort of news, that would please those who critisise PETA.

:(

Pilaf
Jun 18th, 2005, 05:58 AM
I don't know which irks me more, this or the sixteen burger ads which played while I was watching Andy Griffith earlier tonight. *sigh*

tasha
Jun 18th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Very sad, thats the sort of news, that would please those who critisise PETA.

Your right, I can hear my meat eating friends now, "See, they DO stage everything....they are the ones who kill these animals on the tapes in an inhumane way" :(

Wow, you don't think some of these idiots DO do that?? How depressing.

John
Jun 18th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Yes, groups like the Center for Consumer Freedom are having a field day with this.

Kumem
Jun 18th, 2005, 11:50 PM
I want definitive evidence that they were PETA members and am going to write to PETA. I first heard about this about a week ago, but was relucatant to post this website on here because I don't want to encourage people to visit it.

This is the link I was given regarding the aforementioned post:
http://www.naiaonline.org/body/articles/ThePETAdeathconnection.htm

If you have a look at the rest of the site you will be disgusted by the utter hypocrisy of it all.

It will be used by those who wish to undermine the AR movement, but it is hearsay as far as I am concerned until PETA make a statement about it.

Roxy
Jun 19th, 2005, 04:50 AM
I heard about this for the first time today. Does anyone know anything about this euthanasia program?

You can watch a news reel of the story here (http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/media.cfm?locvid=87962&tid=r700&fv=1) if you haven't seen it already.

veganblue
Jun 19th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Parts of the article posted below. The full article can be found here (http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/11926163.htm)

Posted on Sat, Jun. 18, 2005 PETA leader calls acts hideous, but not cruel
SUE LINDSEY Associated Press
Newkirk says dead animals dumped in trash bin didn't suffer

NORFOLK, Va. - Dumping the bodies of dead dogs and cats in the garbage is wrong, but the president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said Friday that animal cruelty charges against two employees won't stick. Ingrid Newkirk, president of the animal rights group, called the dumping of animals "hideous." But she told a news conference there was no indication of "pain or suffering" among the 31 animals that police in northeastern North Carolina found. Police in Ahoskie, in Hertford County, about 60 miles southwest of Norfolk, found 18 dogs and cats in a shopping center garbage bin and 13 more in a van registered to PETA.

Adria Joy Hinkle, 27, of Norfolk, and Andrew Benjamin Cook, 24, of Virginia Beach, appeared Friday in Hertford County District Court and their trial was set July 19. Each faces 31 felony charges of animal cruelty and nine misdemeanor counts -- eight of illegal disposal of dead animals and one of trespassing.

But Newkirk said the workers were picking up animals to be brought to PETA headquarters in Norfolk for euthanization.

"PETA has never made a secret of the fact that most of the animals picked up in North Carolina are euthanized," Newkirk said.

PETA spokeswoman Colleen O'Brien said the organization euthanizes animals by lethal injection, which it considers more humane than shooting animals or gassing them in groups, as some counties do.

I think that Peta are keeping close lipped about this until they have finished their own internal investigation.

More on their activities in taking animals from shelters here. (http://www.helpinganimals.com/f-nc.asp)

tails4wagging
Jun 19th, 2005, 06:08 AM
I have membership of PETA and now I will write and cancel my membership!! :( :mad:

veganblue
Jun 19th, 2005, 10:50 AM
This is a very tough issue. I think that on the whole Peta are doing the right thing in alleviating the suffering of the great many animals. If people withdraw their support; who is then going to step forward and make a difference? Please check the link to Peta's web page on the subject and the link further on the bottom of the page. Both can be found in the post above.

Wishin986
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:38 PM
N.C. counties say PETA euthanizes animals (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2005/06/23/nc_counties_say_peta_euthanizes_animals/) :eek:

The counties learned that most animals instead had been euthanized after two PETA workers were arrested and charged with dumping dead animals in a shopping center's garbage bins.

The two workers arrested last week, Adria Joy Hinkle, 27, of Norfolk, Va., and Andrew Benjamin Cook, 24, of Virginia Beach, Va., have a court hearing July 19 on charges of animal cruelty, disposal of dead animals and trespassing.

Did we euthanize some animals who could have been adopted? Maybe," Nachminovitch said. "The point is that good homes are few and far between. Our aim here was to stop them from dying an agonizing death."

terrace max
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:59 PM
More PETA-bashing here:

Daily (very low) Standard (http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/005/756rmblw.asp)

It must be in vogue with right wing 'thinkers' in the US?

adam antichrist
Jun 24th, 2005, 12:15 AM
When I saw the thread posted last week I thought they must have been set up but they have made admissions of guilt. I never knew PETA endorsed euthanasia of unwanted animals and I certainly never knew they did it themselves.

Fkrs.

Seaside
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:27 AM
Do you really think this is true, and not propaganda against PETA? I have become aware that PETA supports BSL, and the euthanasia of certain breeds whenever they come through shelters just because they are considered undesirable, and claims that Ingrid Newkirk herself doesn't like dogs because she was bitten by one. I didn't want to mention it at first, but it is starting to look more likely to be true.

Can anyone here who is involved with PETA enlighten us? They do so much good work that I would like to know that this isn't true. :(

adam antichrist
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:59 AM
I have referred it to a few AR people and they say yes, it's true.
I don't blame Ingrid for not liking dogs if she was bitten by one, and that doesn't make her a bad person. If PETA elects to commit euthanasia on healthy animals that is their choice. But I won't endorse them any more.

Seaside
Jun 24th, 2005, 04:35 AM

spo
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:42 AM
I checked the PETA website and here is the explanation. A lot of misinformation is swirling around this story. It is likely that these two employees were acting on their own to dispose of the dead animals and that this story has been picked up and embellished to make PETA look bad since they have been recently so effective in the the "Tyson" case and the "Covance Labs" case.
Here's the link explaining PETA's position:
http://www.helpinganimals.com/f-nc.asp
spo

greenworlds
Jun 24th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Some people want to legalise euthanasia for people...if a person is terminally ill with no quality of live and wants to give up etc..They can be forgiven for encouraging euthanasia likewise if a dog has a broken back and can't work and maybe won't eat etc..do you force feed... to help keep the dog alive or let he or die from stavation or euthanize? It can be difficult to decide. I would find it hard to believe Peta were euthanizing well animals.

adam antichrist
Jun 24th, 2005, 01:40 PM
I don't see how one can be actively promoting/fighting for animal rights and animal welfare at the same time, as they often contradict. For example, how can you demand greater space for hens in battery cages if you believe hens do not belong in battery cages? If the hens are given more space, what do you do next...ask for even more space?

Such issues have caused great divisions among activists in Australia over the last ten years or so. Personally I think the closer activists get to crying out for moderate advances to animal welfare the less authorities will listen when rights are demanded for the same animals.

Realfood Mary
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:26 PM
I don't see how one can be actively promoting/fighting for animal rights and animal welfare at the same time, as they often contradict. For example, how can you demand greater space for hens in battery cages if you believe hens do not belong in battery cages? If the hens are given more space, what do you do next...ask for even more space?

Exactly Adam!

Also, how is killing healthy puppies in any way shape or form "euthanasia." Surely it is infanticide? How can a puppy not be adoptable?

Just because Newkirk doesn't like dogs by the way doesn't mean she would start a vendetta to deliberately kill them. I have a freakish phobia about spiders, but I go well out of my way not to harm them.

But I am hoping more people see through Peta. As Adam says, welfare and rights are mutually incompatable. We would not negotiate with terrorists if the victims were human, so why negotiate with terrorists when the kidnap and murder victims are other animals?

greenworlds
Jun 24th, 2005, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE= Greenworlds] We have to be careful that we don't totalling abandoned..animal-rights/welfare groups because we don't agree we every little thing they do that might not be correct. Also because it might only be just the once and they could change for the better over time etc. If we don't have strong organizations..then literature/information/leatlets don't get printed, and the word would be slower to be past around unless vegans started knocking on doors etc or stopped people in the streets etc..... ( even then if you have no graphic photos to show people it can be less effective.....I do agree Adam (and I don't believe you are so anti christ in your out look on life) that animal welfare/rights etc should be uncompromising.[QUOTE]

Realfood Mary
Jun 24th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Well, doing leaflet drops on people's doors, and walking up to people in the street and saying "do you want to try this vegan burger, icecream, whatever," and starting a conversation really does work. Don't see what is wrong with that!

And it is uncompromising, yet non confrontational. It's great fun. We should all give it a go! (You know you want to...)

kokopelli
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:44 PM
But I am hoping more people see through Peta. As Adam says, welfare and rights are mutually incompatable. We would not negotiate with terrorists if the victims were human, so why negotiate with terrorists when the kidnap and murder victims are other animals?

This isn't really relevant to the issues you're discussing, I know very little about PETA. But I don't think it's wrong to negotiate with terrorists. Remember Thatcher's hard line stance against the IRA...it didn't work. Negotiating with 'terrorists' may ultimately be the only way to reach a political solution. I suppose I'm a pragmatist.

Realfood Mary
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Well, I was raised Irish Catholic, and was driven out of Ireland as a small child by the IRA (because my Dad was polite to English soldiers and didn't talk to them like shit, amongst other things.) I don't believe negotiating with terrorists works. It doesn't work when the terrorists victimise animals, or humans. If you negotiate with terrorists you give the green light to every terrorist group to behave that way, and they know you will bow down to their demands. (Bigger cages, whatever.)

I don't personally believe the IRA began looking for a diplomatic solution because of "negotiations." As an Irish woman it seems to me that the IRA lost the support of the community they were supposed to represent, because we became increasingly sickened by their behaviour. They got weaker and had to change with the times. As the animal abusers will if we keep eroding their support base.

kokopelli
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:11 PM
You obviously know a lot more about it than I do, Mary. But now Sinn Fein's power relies on democratic process more than violence, and that couldn't have happened if they hadn't been allowed to stand for election. I've read the book 'Political Murder in Northern Ireland' and I agree with you that terrorists on both sides behaved appallingly, usually fuelled by alcohol (and meat...apparently N.Ireland has a huge slaughtering 'industry', which must contribute to the social psychology). But when terrorists claim to be fighting for the rights of a minority, then unless that minority is given political representation, terrorist acts are likely to continue. It's kind of a self-reinforcing cycle of violence when terrorism is used as an excuse for increased military presence, rather than open negotiation.