PDA

View Full Version : Poppadoms...are they vegan?

pookah
Dec 21st, 2005, 09:46 AM
Hi, does anyone know if poppadoms are vegan? Going for a posh indian meal tonight (Mother India in Glasgow - vegan friendly, well 3 choices on their A La Carte menu) and want to maximise food intake! lol

Cherry
Dec 21st, 2005, 11:17 AM
Poppadoms are most definitely vegan :) One of my favuorite foods. Check that they don't cook them in (non-vegetable) ghee first though. They probably do them in vegetable oil.

Lime pickle's vegan too :)

pookah
Dec 21st, 2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks for that! Will definitely ask how they are cooked. I had a look at the link on your post and there are some really nice recipes there. Really fancy making the chestnut roast.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Cherry
Dec 21st, 2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks! You too. (I'm going for the chestnut roast for christmas dinner :))
Hope you have a good time and that you get to eat lots of poppadoms!

Blueshark
Dec 21st, 2005, 01:08 PM
Hi, does anyone know if poppadoms are vegan? Going for a posh indian meal tonight (Mother India in Glasgow - vegan friendly, well 3 choices on their A La Carte menu) and want to maximise food intake! lol Only 3 dishes ? They surely must have a good selection of vegetable curries? potato, chick pea, bindhi, aubergine, spinach etc..

VeganJohn
Dec 21st, 2005, 09:08 PM
Freshly made Poppadums still hot and mango chutney - mmmmmm!!

Pob
Dec 21st, 2005, 10:22 PM
Poppadoms with onion salad and mint and cucumber raita (yoghurt shit ;) ).
Think I'll have to take my own vegan raita next time I go for a curry.

Mr Flibble
Dec 21st, 2005, 11:07 PM
Poppadoms are most definitely vegan

Sharwoods popadoms used to contain shellac as an unlisted ingrediant. :(

I don't think you can take granted that anything is vegan which you don't categorically know has been prepared in an exact way with an exact set of ingrediants. Popadoms should be vegan if you use the traditional recipe, but like all things they arn't always - for reasons of things like cheapness to create, preservatives etc. I'd tread with caution personally.

sugarmouse
Dec 22nd, 2005, 01:14 AM
i love poppadums.theyre usually vegan but i agree,,,dnt assume :(

Cherry
Dec 22nd, 2005, 01:56 AM
I ALWAYS read ingredients even on things I buy regularly; I'm not recommending a care-free approach to poppadoms (!)... but I would eat them in a restaurant if I knew what they'd been cooked in, and I'd like to think it's safe to assume that a posh Indian restaurant will use proper traditional poppadoms.

Sharwoods popadoms used to contain shellac as an unlisted ingrediant.
:eek: Why would you want shiny poppadoms?! Especially with shellac - yuck. And how come they don't have to list it on the ingredients?

Freshly made Poppadums still hot and mango chutney - mmmmmm!!

No no no Vegan John, Lime pickle is far superior :)

Zanahorias!
Dec 22nd, 2005, 03:10 AM
query: what are poppadoms?

Skajen
Dec 22nd, 2005, 09:18 AM
A very thin flatbread made with lentil flour, often crisped by deep-frying or grilling. Served as a starter/side dish in indians restaraunts.

Gorgeous with mango chutney :)

pat sommer
Dec 22nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
Is anything that has SHARED a deep-fat frier vegan? Regardless of what they might tell you, friers get shared with many menu items (sometimes even that WELL-done steak). As long as my food doesn't taste of fish, I have decided to grudgingly accept it.:o

Mr Flibble
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Is anything that has SHARED a deep-fat frier vegan? Regardless of what they might tell you, friers get shared with many menu items (sometimes even that WELL-done steak). As long as my food doesn't taste of fish, I have decided to grudgingly accept it.:o

Personally i wouldn't count something that has been cooked in the same oil as something non vegan as vegan still.

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Personally i wouldn't count something that has been cooked in the same oil as something non vegan as vegan still. That's because it WOULDN'T be vegan ;)

herbwormwood
Jan 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Sharwoods popadoms used to contain shellac as an unlisted ingrediant. :(

I don't think you can take granted that anything is vegan which you don't categorically know has been prepared in an exact way with an exact set of ingrediants. Popadoms should be vegan if you use the traditional recipe, but like all things they arn't always - for reasons of things like cheapness to create, preservatives etc. I'd tread with caution personally.
If you go to a good asian grocers you will see a wide range of poppadoms and usually they are very cheap. Many are made by artisan workshops in india. They will have the ingredients listed. I have never seen any non vegan ingredients. Sharwoods ready popped popadoms are a rip off, in my opinion! In the restaurant you can ask about ingredients. Indian restaurant proprietors usually understand dietary "restictions."

Michael Benis
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:57 PM
A very thin flatbread made with lentil flour, often crisped by deep-frying or grilling. Served as a starter/side dish in indians restaraunts.

Gorgeous with mango chutney :)

I think its gram flour actually - made out of chick peas (garbanzos).

Cheers

Mike

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 8th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Chickpea or lentil flour is used and I've always seen it as :"Pappadams" or "Pappadoms" in Indian places.

indianvegan
Jan 8th, 2006, 05:09 PM
"Pappadams" or "Pappadoms" are Vegan ofcourse. They are also called as " Papad" in all over India except South India.

Papad can be roasted in oven/microwave/gas burner or one can fry in Vegetable oil. You can top it with corriander leaves and onion...red chilly powder too....mmmmm

Manish Jain

herbwormwood
Jan 9th, 2006, 03:03 PM
"Pappadams" or "Pappadoms" are Vegan ofcourse. They are also called as " Papad" in all over India except South India.

Papad can be roasted in oven/microwave/gas burner or one can fry in Vegetable oil. You can top it with corriander leaves and onion...red chilly powder too....mmmmm

Manish Jain

Yes, I do them in the microwave. You can wipe a little vegetable oil on them and lay them on a peice of kitchen roll. Then zap them for about 30 seconds until they puff up. Our indian grocers stocks a wide variety, plain, with pepper in, with chili in, etc.