PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite food region?

VeganJohn
Dec 21st, 2005, 09:23 PM
I think I would have to go for Asia in general!!

What about others?

My least favourite is probably Italy, at least what I have sampled in the UK.

Mystic
Dec 21st, 2005, 09:46 PM
1. Middle East - falafel, pita, spinach pie, tabbouli, stuffed vine leaves, stuffed cabbage leaves, eggplant, zucchini......hummus, garlic tahina.....fava bean dip, babagannouj, spicy white beans, DATES FIGS halva mmmmmmmmmmmmm

2. India - dhal, chickpea curry, rice, anything spicy, mangoes, chutneys....

My least favourite would have to be European (Russian, Polish, Hungarian, German....anything like that) and I am not keen on chinese food from the chinese takeaway places. I am dying to try Ethiopian.

Mystic
Dec 21st, 2005, 09:57 PM
Tonight I am actually going to a Burmese restaurant. My bf's mum is from Burma (Myanmar) and it is her birthday. Burmese food is like a cross between Indian and Thai. Very nice. I have never been to that restaurant, but I have tried his mum's (and family's) cooking. It is great except for the fact that his Mum has a tendency to use up produce even if it has gone bad :eek:

maya
Dec 21st, 2005, 09:58 PM
India and Greece.

Tigerlily
Dec 21st, 2005, 10:00 PM
I don't know if Arabic/Middle Eastern food would count for me, since I am Arabic and to me, Arabic food isn't "exotic", it's just "normal food" I ate my whole life. But I would say, I like it the most.

Mystic
Dec 21st, 2005, 10:08 PM
Tigerlily that is the same for me. Middle Eastern food is "normal" to me, but so is Eastern European food and I HATE it. Ewwww :eek: My family is half middle eastern and half Polish/Russian

Mr Flibble
Dec 21st, 2005, 10:08 PM
My least favourite is probably Italy, at least what I have sampled in the UK.

:eek:

Italy has some of the best bread in the world, not to mention pasta. They have tonnes of traditionally vegan recipes (which includes most of their bread - focaccia, pizza, ciabatta etc) and traditionally (past 500 years) is way more vegan friendly than the UK. There's been a big emphesis on simple yet flavoursome foods in Italy, and vegetable based dishes with less than 10 ingrediants are in ambundance.

I guess the original question depends on what you mean by food from a region. Do you mean food today thats eaten in a region, food that's traditionally been eaten in that region, or your own regions' interpriatation modified for a local palette. Very little of what is passed off as being chinese/japanese/thai in the UK wasn't made up in the UK using ingrediants from the region. People generally don't like change too much, but do like to think they're having a cultural experience and varied palette. Thus recipes are engineered for countries loosly based on recipes from the original countries they are emulating (take for instance the balti curry, which was invented in the UK midlands not india). Also a lot of ingrediants which we associate as being from a region arn't traditionally. Tomatoes are american not italian - they only really started using them in the 19th century. Simularly any curry containing chilli isn't really traditional Indian - chillis are also american and were imported. The history of food is quite an interesting thing.

Generally speaking, probably my favourite food country is Italy, followed by China.

assilembob
Dec 21st, 2005, 10:38 PM
MMMMM
I love Mexican, Italian, Asain (especailly Thai!)
I have yet to try Indian but desprately want to, i just am afraid that I will mess it up. A new Indian restaraunt opened in Austin (it's vegetarian and very vegan frienly) so sometime soon I will try that place out.

I also HATE eastern european. My whole family is German. However I can't eat anything they make as it's all got dead things in it. How would you make vegan German food? Unless it's all fake meats? I dunno.

~Mel

Tigerlily
Dec 21st, 2005, 11:54 PM
I am lucky, I never tried Eastern European but I'm sure it's not vegan friendly. It all seems to be sausages and what not.

My boyfriend is from Sri Lanka and his mom cooks traditional South Indian food. I never tried it but when I move there to live with him, it's all I'll be eating. :) It sounds really yummy! And plus it will be his mom making it, so I doubt she will sneak some dairy in it or whatnot.

Zanahorias!
Dec 22nd, 2005, 03:17 AM
I love Mediterranean, especially Italian!

maya
Dec 22nd, 2005, 03:19 AM
OOPS I forgot Trinidad!

assilembob
Dec 22nd, 2005, 03:25 AM
I love Mediterranean, especially Italian!
Can I change my vote...

I LOVE ALL FOOD! (ima lil hungry right now as my dinner plans fell through)

~Mel

Wishin986
Dec 22nd, 2005, 03:30 AM
Tigerlily that is the same for me. Middle Eastern food is "normal" to me, but so is Eastern European food and I HATE it. Ewwww :eek: My family is half middle eastern and half Polish/Russian

I'm half Polish/Russian also! my dads grandmother was from Grato (i think or something like that - an area that switched from being Poland to Russia constantly throughout wars etc.) and my dads grandfather was from Odessa. But my father is Jewish so its not real eastern european cuisince but rather jewish/yiddish cuisine none of which is really applicable now although some kosher stuff is.

the other half of me is a quarter irish and a quarter english sooo very boston. irish food is a lot of ham and what not which i dont eat either. sooo neither of my parents hold my favorite food regions.

Favorites are Indian, Middle Eastern, Japanese. I think that about covers it at the moment.

Mystic
Dec 22nd, 2005, 03:35 AM
But my father is Jewish so its not real eastern european cuisince but rather jewish/yiddish cuisine none of which is really applicable now although some kosher stuff is.

I have one, well two gross words for you - gefilte fish :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wishin986
Dec 22nd, 2005, 03:42 AM
I have one, well two gross words for you - gefilte fish :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ewwww sooo grossss. my dad buys them around holidays and they just look absolutely disgusting. ive never tried them and i really dont care to. ever! there are a lot of holiday gross food. i was never a fan of matzo ball soup or horseradish. when i wasnt vegan i enjoyed challah but it all has honey in it blah. ohh well dont really miss any of that cuisine. cant really participate in passover very much either anymore but thats okay we dont even hold sedars all that much in recent years. or i dont partake bc my dad hosts them w. his girlfriend etc. i do miss Eliyahu's visit and the wine - favorite part of passover - oh and finding the matzah!

sorry for the tangent! ohh jewish culture

Mystic
Dec 22nd, 2005, 03:46 AM
matzah w/ peanut butter or mashed avocado is yum - the rest is horrid. My nana used to make the grossest food - lokshen, kreplach, borscht....CHOPPED LIVER, herring ewwwww
Latkes are yum as well

bocabocaboca
Dec 22nd, 2005, 05:03 AM
doesn't chala require eggs as well?

Wishin986
Dec 22nd, 2005, 06:11 AM
doesn't chala require eggs as well?

hmm maybe although im pretty sure that most of the ones that i saw at whole foods only had honey in it but i could be wrong.