PDA

View Full Version : ny recipe ideas out there?

Lazuli Blue
Dec 28th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I bought some Oat Supreme double cream stuff and I have no idea what to do with it!!!

Has anyone got any recipes that I could use it with?

Ta very much!

Lazuli :D

twinkle
Dec 28th, 2005, 05:10 PM
I find it much the same as the provamel soya cream in terms of taste and consistency, and have used it to the same effect in recipes. Here's one for you:

Chocolate Truffles

250g dark chocolate (you can cut down on this amount or up the cream a bit if you want a more "chocolate spread" consistency)
175ml oat cream
2 dessertspoonfuls liquid flavouring - e.g. rum, vanilla, orange essence, etc., and/or you can add orange zest.

Break up chocolate into a bowl, heat cream in saucepan until gently bubbling, then pour it over the chocolate. Stir until all the chocolate has melted (if it hasn't done it after a couple of minutes zap it in a microwave for a couple of seconds then stir again to get rid of the final lumps).

Put chocolate mix in the fridge for a few hours. When it is solid scoop out lumps with a teaspoon and form into balls. You should get about 35 truffles out of this amount of mixture. You can put the balls into the freezer for a few minutes to make the coating chocolate set on them quicker.

For coating:
melt 100g chocolate in a double boiler (http://www.ehow.com/how_13501_melt-chocolate-double.html). The water shouldn't reach above a simmer.

I'm afraid I cheat and instead of bothering to temper my chocolate so it doesn't separate and get white blotches I simply stir in a teaspoon or two of corn oil to the melted chocolate.

Coating the truffles in chocolate is the fiddly part - what I usually do is use a fork and spoon - balance the ball on the fork, drizzle chocolate over with the spoon until it's mostly coated and the excess has dripped through the fork tines back into the bowl of melted chocolate, then transfer the ball between the fork and the still-chocolate-covered-spoon until the whole of the ball has some chocolate on it.

Put the coated truffle on foil to set.

Alternatively, you can grate your coating chocolate and roll the truffle balls in that, which is a lot less fiddly, and uses a bit less chocolate. You can also roll them in cocoa powder or chopped nuts.

Biome
Dec 28th, 2005, 05:16 PM
a book, The Raw Truth, has wonderful recipe ideas.
i've been into raw chocolate as per David Wolff and Shazzie's book, Naked Chocolate.