PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Frosty
Mar 29th, 2009, 05:01 PM
More of a statement than a question...
When talking to someone about veganism last week, she said she couldn't be vegan because she didn't like chick peas :confused:
That's all we eat, don't ya know!

Mahk
Mar 29th, 2009, 05:57 PM
^Maybe she's nutritionally an idiot and one day discovered chick peas contain protein, by chance, so she then proceeded to conclude "Oh, so protein isn't found only in meat, dairy, and eggs; it is also found in chick peas." So she thinks that would be what we must have to eat in lieu of the animal based protein foods.

Frosty
Mar 29th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I think you have it wrong, Mahk. She isn't nutritionally an idiot, she is just an idiot period ;)

Loss
Apr 9th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I just had to post this: I was having dinner earlier and one of my roomates enters the kitchen while I'm eating some freshly made bread. We start talking about bread making and he goes: "Wait, so there's actually VEGA yeast now?!?" (sic.) He then proceeds to assert that yeast is made from bacteria and therefore it's not vegan. Gotta love him and the complete lack of correct information :D (by the way, he wasn't aggressive about it or anything, he just sounded curious)

Daffodil
Apr 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I just had to post this: I was having dinner earlier and one of my roomates enters the kitchen while I'm eating some freshly made bread. We start talking about bread making and he goes: "Wait, so there's actually VEGA yeast now?!?" (sic.) He then proceeds to assert that yeast is made from bacteria and therefore it's not vegan. Gotta love him and the complete lack of correct information :D (by the way, he wasn't aggressive about it or anything, he just sounded curious)

i've often wondered about yeast.... he's right about the bacteria. but if we didn't eat bacteria we wouldn't eat anything! lol

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 10th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Not exactly a question, but when I was visiting my sister, she said out of the blue, "I think humans were originally meant to be carnivores." My head spun so fast from sheer trying to figure out what she meant (I can only hope she meant omnivores and said carnivore in a more colloquial sense, for the sake of the public school system). After a moment I stammered out, "Actually, evidence shows that early humans mostly scavenged plants and small amounts of meat."

DiaShel
Apr 10th, 2009, 12:03 PM
^ I'd have said "Do you know anything, I mean anything, about Biology?"

Loss
Apr 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
i've often wondered about yeast.... he's right about the bacteria. but if we didn't eat bacteria we wouldn't eat anything! lol
As far as I know, bacteria and yeast are a different thing, but even if they weren't... that's right, do they really expect us to avoid microorganisms? :eek:

asleep ona sunbeam
Apr 10th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I'm beginning to think we should do a Vegan bus campaign to get our message out. We could do London for £11k, anyone got that to spare?

What would the message be...
..."there's probably no meat so stop worrying and enjoy your nut roast"?

harpy
Apr 10th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Yeast's classified as a fungus these days apparently

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeast

ETA ...and a lot of bacteria like to live in our gut so we're doing them a favour by ingesting them :eek:

CrunchyMomma
Apr 10th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I've been asked all of the cliche ones (I swear, I think there is some sort of brochure they pass around with what they think are clever questions):

-If there was a child and a hen in a burning house, which would you rescue first?

-Would you rather people or animals be homeless?

-Don't you kill bees and spiders if they get in your house?

-Aren't you worried about plants having feelings too?

-Do you care more about animals than humans?

-Aren't you worried about becoming anemic or having a protein deficiency?

BlackCats
Apr 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
-If there was a child and a hen in a burning house, which would you rescue first?

Me and my (omni) husband laughed at those first two questions.:lol::dizzy:

Daffodil
Apr 10th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I've been asked all of the cliche ones (I swear, I think there is some sort of brochure they pass around with what they think are clever questions):

-If there was a child and a hen in a burning house, which would you rescue first? that's the same as asking me, if there were TWO children in a burning house, which one would I rescue first

-Don't you kill bees and spiders if they get in your house?Definately not!

-Aren't you worried about plants having feelings too? the are not sentient

-Do you care more about animals than humans?I care about those closest to me more. My pets mean more to me than certain humans

-Aren't you worried about becoming anemic or having a protein deficiency?

helen105281
Apr 10th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I laughed at those too, that is two questions I haven't heard before. My colleague actually looked for a website on how to argue with a vegan (have probably metioned that before).

Mahk
Apr 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM

I don't understand what they mean by this.:confused: Would someone please explain it to me? Is it along the lines of "But where would all the cows go?"

CrunchyMomma
Apr 10th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I don't understand what they mean by this. Would someone please explain it to me? Is it along the lines of "But where would all the cows go?"

It was in regard to a discussion I was having with a former co-worker about deforestation. I was talking about how sad it is that they keep clear cutting land around here to build huge subdivisions and how the animals are losing their habitat. He smirked and asked me, "would you rather people or animals be homeless?". Basically he was implying that if developers weren't building these huge subdivisions with homes that cost around a half a million dollars people would be destined to live on the streets.

puca
Apr 10th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I have been told I can't do oral s3x because I'm a vegan,:satisfied:

CrunchyMomma
Apr 10th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I have been told I can't do oral s3x because I'm a vegan,:satisfied:

Geez. I had a guy on a MySpace forum make an inappropriate joke about that when I was discussing veganism. He said something nasty like, "vegans lack protein. Here, I have a protein 'shake' just for you. Come here, baby." :hmm:

CrunchyMomma
Apr 11th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Oh, haha, I thought of one other question I've been asked before - "so, how do you feel about the fact that mammals eat other mammals?" My response is usually something to the tune of, "not all mammals eat other mammals. Some animals eat decaying animal and bird carcasses. Does that mean we should all go out and eat road kill?" They typically don't have a response for that.

asleep ona sunbeam
Apr 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Geez. I had a guy on a MySpace forum make an inappropriate joke about that when I was discussing veganism. He said something nasty like, "vegans lack protein. Here, I have a protein 'shake' just for you. Come here, baby." :hmm:

haha, this comes to mind:
http://www.lulu.com/content/4956212

asleep ona sunbeam
Apr 11th, 2009, 02:02 PM
me: "wait mum don't get the humus out with that knife, someones cut cheese with it"
mum: "oh, you're right"
The only other person in the house is my dad.
30 seconds later he closely inspects the packaging of another cheese.
Dad: "so can you eat this cheese? I don't want to contaminate it with the other cheeses if you can"

*face palm*
it's very thoughtful of him, but after over a year of veganism, I'd have hoped by now he'd at least understand the dietary aspect of it even if he thinks a meal without meat isn't a meal.
At least he's not as bad as the people I was in boarding with a few years back who insisted: fish are plants, fish don't feel pain, vegetarians eat fish.

squigaletta
Apr 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM
dad; 'i am a vegetarian'
me: 'dad, you've just ordered a sausage sandwich'
dad; 'how do you know its isn't made of vegetables'
me; 'because it's a sausage, a regular sausage!'
I had 'the talk' with my dad this weekend so I have many such comments, he has taken real exception to it.

harpy
Apr 13th, 2009, 01:56 PM
:rolleyes: A friend from university used to say she was vegetarian, but she sometimes ate sausages and anything else not immediately recognisable as part of an animal. She still avoids most meat most of the time, but has given up saying she's vegetarian.

On the other hand she did start reducing her meat consumption several years before I did, so perhaps she has eaten less animal matter than I have over a lifetime. Hmmm.

jimmeh
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:41 PM
dad; 'i am a vegetarian'
me: 'dad, you've just ordered a sausage sandwich'
me; 'because it's a sausage, a regular sausage!'
I had 'the talk' with my dad this weekend so I have many such comments, he has taken real exception to it.

I know "the talk". Makes ye wonder :D

DiaShel
Apr 14th, 2009, 02:52 AM

:rolleyes: and I thought my dad was bad for eating meat broth.