PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

DiaShel
Apr 30th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I'd assume it's the same as GummyBears, which may or may not be vegan.

cobweb
Apr 30th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I think some omnivores are genuinely confused about fish, probably because of the self-styled "vegetarians" that will eat it. I haven't met a fish-eating "vegan" though (but there's a first time for everything :eek: )

i have!! :umm_ani:
there's a vicar in North Wales who is a very interesting person, he claims to be vegan but says its ok to eat fish because of the loaves and fishes thing :rollseyes_ani:

asleep ona sunbeam
Apr 30th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Come to think of it, I do eat some kinds of fish. (http://isvegan.org/Swedish_Fish) ;)

Are they actually vegan though?
Didn't* PETA have loads of things that were "vegetarian" but contained gelatine, to which they replied "the little ingredients don't count"?

(*Firefox, why can't you understand that didn't is a word?)

Enchantress
Apr 30th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I did come across someone on another forum a few years ago who claimed to be vegan but said she ate fish. Although in her case I'm pretty sure her "veganism" was just a front for an eating disorder :(.

asleep ona sunbeam
May 1st, 2009, 03:01 AM
i have!! :umm_ani:
there's a vicar in North Wales who is a very interesting person, he claims to be vegan but says its ok to eat fish because of the loaves and fishes thing :rollseyes_ani:

As Jesus was allegedly killed on the passover, I think that means it's okay to eat Jesus (not bread, but Jesus himself).

I suppose this same vicar helps people to get intoxicated because of the wedding at cana?
And of course married a prostitute:P

terem
May 1st, 2009, 07:08 AM
Didn't PETA have loads of things that were "vegetarian" but contained gelatine, to which they replied "the little ingredients don't count"?

Last time I was wolfing down some tasty swedish fish they were vegan, and no gelatin in the ingredients list!:heart::D

Frosty
May 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM
I had a spot of man flu last week, and a colleague asked me if I was ill beacuse I'm vegan :umm_ani: silly girl... she lives on crisps and take away food, whereas I eat a very varied diet. I explained this to her, but it went in one ear and out the other I think. For a change.

pavotrouge
May 1st, 2009, 01:35 PM
oh no, you had the man flu, too!

Mahk
May 1st, 2009, 05:11 PM
Didn't* PETA have loads of things that were "vegetarian" but contained gelatine, to which they replied "the little ingredients don't count"?
Ingredients:
Swedish Fish are one of the few gummy candies that contain no gelatin. According to the USA distribution packages, the candy contains the following ingredients:

Sugar
Invert Sugar
Corn syrup
Modified Corn starch
Citric Acid
White Mineral Oil
Artificial flavors
Coloring (FD&C Red 40 for the red color)
Carnauba wax

-wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Fish)

Quantum Mechanic
May 2nd, 2009, 10:14 AM
Today my mom was looking for vegan iron pills in the interim between when my current prescription runs out and when I can get to a doctor and have it renewed. Now, normally she can identify mono and diglycerides, gelatin, etc., but today she asked me what lactose is, if it's vegan. I reminded her that it's milk sugar and about lactose intolerance and how some people have the dairy products with lactose removed. I think she was a bit sleep-deprived, a bit moreso than usual.

I had a client with Aspergers and people from other agencies wrote him off as a trouble maker desperate for attention or trying to get his own way. There were two of us who really stuck up for him and got him into accommodation for aspergers sufferers. He was a lovely lad who had a crap home and stood no chance in his early years.

The problem was that this was in a client focused care profession, it is disgusting.

Yes, these things can be quite difficult and frustrating, but really I don't suffer from being autistic. :) The difficulty comes into play with the ignorance of special education teachers, security/police, and others in society who whether actively or passively pass this virulence on to me and others with developmental disabilities.

emzy1985
May 3rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
I was asked if I ate Hallumi (sp?) last night to which I replied that it was cheese and vegans don't eat cheese.

I was also abit mean to the RSPCA woman today. :(

asleep ona sunbeam
May 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
silly questions asked by a vegan:

what happened to the old thread of this?
Why is there a new one?

Enchantress
May 4th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Threads tend to get locked and then re-started when they get too long. I think it's to do with saving bandwidth.

The old thread is here (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21438).

Frosty
May 5th, 2009, 12:59 PM
oh no, you had the man flu, too!

Could be swine... :amazed_ani: But I'm so tough with my massive diet of fresh fruit and veg that all the vitamins and antioxidants fought against the flu and I am fit and healthy and ready to fight another day :D

pavotrouge
May 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
lucky you! you might have passed it on to me, though :(

asleep ona sunbeam
May 12th, 2009, 07:12 PM
not a question but in a debate:
This is one of those believer cliché types* that believe in the devil, God being all powerful, all loving, suffering existing, freedom of choice in humans, and god being a help funding machines. You ask for help and he provides. The bible being infallible etc.
After I say that the bible was written by humans, edited by humans etc. didn't even both with going into bad translations. She makes no attempt to debate with my arguments put forward, just gives me messages no doubt taken by her pastor or priest or whoever. I then go into argue about the very definition of God being meaningless if he has supernatrual powers etc.

Finally we get to the subject of animals, I couldn't resist, turns out that, humanely killing something for your own agenda isn't a contradiction in terms.
That we need animals to survive.
That although I weight 60KG give or take I don't need 60-120 grams of protein, but instead over 200 a day. And that's why we need animals to survive. With this astonising news i ask her if that means I'm unhealthy, getting such low ammounts of protein (not that we went into the definition of "healthy" that would've been fun though) and it turns out, despite getting on average less than 50% of what I should get a day, I'm not unhealthy. Yet we still need animals to survive.

*sigh*

I forgot that people like her exist, it's a shame in some ways she's reminded me.
I put forward a lot of arguments, the whole time she just acted as if she didn't need to debate back because she's better than me, and has more of an understanding of everything than I do.
*not that I look at every believer of God as that, but there is that group of them that just makes me think that they can't think for themselves.

pavotrouge
May 13th, 2009, 08:10 AM
sure... because there are nutritional guidelines provided in grams and mg printed in the bible :rollseyes_ani:

asleep ona sunbeam
May 13th, 2009, 11:50 AM
sure... because there are nutritional guidelines provided in grams and mg printed in the bible :rollseyes_ani:

oh no she allegedly went to nutritional classes that taught her that I'd need about 200grams of protein a day?

I'd probably be calcium deficient if that happened.

Oh and, although the bible contradicts itself, it's all true.

helen105281
May 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Not really a silly question but one of my colleagues came up with a joke yesterday. He claims to have made it up but it could be doing the rounds.

"I hear there is a new vegan form of swine flu, it's called Toflu". Couldn't help smiling as he looked so pleased with himself. :rollseyes_ani:

asleep ona sunbeam
May 13th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Not really a silly question but one of my colleagues came up with a joke yesterday. He claims to have made it up but it could be doing the rounds.

"I hear there is a new vegan form of swine flu, it's called Toflu". Couldn't help smiling as he looked so pleased with himself. :rollseyes_ani:

I laughed.

I hear that one of the symptoms is discovering rashers, a lot of people have tried oinkment but most people have rang the NHS direct, leading to a lot of complaints about hearing crackling on the phone.

DavidT
May 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I laughed.

I hear that one of the symptoms is discovering rashers, a lot of people have tried oinkment but most people have rang the NHS direct, leading to a lot of complaints about hearing crackling on the phone.

Someone in that joint has been telling porkies.

Declan
May 16th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Not so much a silly question as a completely stupid experience, but anyway. I was in Borders yesterday looking for a Swedish dictionary, and the foreign language reference books and cookbooks are opposite each other in the shop. There was a guy sitting with a girl in the chairs between the two and as I was looking for my book, I assume he saw a vegan cookbook and said to his companion, "Am I the only one who thinks veganism sounds like the daftest idea ever?" and she said "No, I do too". He said, "Does anyone actually think it's a good idea?" so I turned round to face him and said "I do, actually." He asked on what basis and experience and I told him that I'm vegan and have been for years (slight embellishment of the facts there but he doesn't need to know that). He asked how I found it because some of his vegan friends in Edinburgh "have horrible trouble with their B12" to which I said that I knew omnivores who had B12 deficiency too (which is true, my aunt does) and that his vegan friends would do well to take a supplement. He told me that ah, that might not be vegan, and how would they know if the pills were? Get in touch with the company, or ask in the shop you're buying them, or look on the bottle in a lot of instances even. He swiftly changed the subject to ask what I was looking for, spotted one on the shelf, and off I went. In the next aisle I heard his phone ring and I guess it must have been one of his vegan friends because he started the conversation with "You're never going to believe what just happened... the odds have got to be like one in a million".

I'm quite pleased with the exchange, really, since a few months ago I'd never have had the courage to turn round and argue with him about it, but I guess these things are easier when you know you're right :)

BlackCats
May 16th, 2009, 11:15 AM
^ That's brilliant Declan.:thumbsup:

cobweb
May 16th, 2009, 08:59 PM
:thumbsup: good, well done for speaking up, Declan, pity about his 'vegan friends' though - i don't have 'terrible trouble with my B12', do you?. If i did, i think i might not be venting about it to a non-vegan, his friends in Edinburgh are letting the side down! :hmm:.

DavidT
May 17th, 2009, 11:45 AM
As an aside to Declan's post, a McDonald's opened in town near me about three weeks ago.

Sure enough (I live about six miles away), McDonalds wrappers appeared thrown on the road near my house.

So I picked up the disgusting junk and as I was going into town, I called there, asked for the manager and said, "This stuff was left near my house. It has your name all over it, so I assumed it belongs to you. Please don't leave your stuff near my house again".

He said, "Where do you live?" and I told him. He said, "We can't be responsible for what people do with their rubbish." and I said, "Well, if your burger joint didn't exist, I wouldn't have found this rubbish, so you must be responsible for it". And I walked out.

It was a yucky mess to leave on his counter, LOL.

I was quite pleased with myself. Next time, I might say, "This stuff has your name on it. Is there a reward for returning lost property?"