PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

DiaShel
May 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
That's awesome DavidT!

Declan's sorry reminded me:
I'm sitting in the lunch room of my academic building and all the professors got on the subject of vegan baked good and how bad they are. Then they started talking about vegans in general and one said "if you're a vegan you're either a communist or a psychopath". I glared at them the whole time and eventually they figured it out but it just egged the one on more. I never speak up for myself though, especially since they are professors... :(

asleep ona sunbeam
May 17th, 2009, 03:38 PM
That's awesome DavidT!

Declan's sorry reminded me:
I'm sitting in the lunch room of my academic building and all the professors got on the subject of vegan baked good and how bad they are. Then they started talking about vegans in general and one said "if you're a vegan you're either a communist or a psychopath". I glared at them the whole time and eventually they figured it out but it just egged the one on more. I never speak up for myself though, especially since they are professors... :(

I know this wasn't said but, how happy would you have been if you'd have said something along these lines, it makes me smile just thinking about it...

"excuse me, I couldn't help but over hear your rude, disrespectful and frankly illogical generalisations. You firstly assume that all vegans are communists, secondly, assume that eating vegan food is unhealthy, and lastly, don't seem to have looked into veganism at all. I presume that you're basing your comments on personal experience and through that feel that that makes you professors in the field of veganism. You sad pathetic people remind me of religious leaders in the middle ages who hunt down witches, please, get a grip on reality before you can't fit those overly big heads of yours through the door way*".

*with a possible cartman ending "suk ma ballz"

pusskins
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Well, I was at my brother's wedding this weekend, and there was this one girl...

"Awww, you should just go vegetarian for a few minutes so you can eat some of the cake!"

(We responded politely by saying that it would mean abandoning all our principles and beliefs for a slice of cake, or words to that effect.)

"Well, I couldn't do it. I just love food too much!"

It did carry on throughout the day -

"Man, I couldn't live without cake and sweets - how do you do it? And I'd really miss cheese."

(on wine) "But the fish are dead anyway..."

DiaShel
Aug 24th, 2009, 11:23 AM
(on wine) "But the fish are dead anyway..."

:lol:
That's a new level of stupidity.

Ms_Derious
Aug 24th, 2009, 01:20 PM
'Is vegan pasta really expensive?'

I also liked the 'What about goats milk, can you have goats milk?'

Yes, goats are actually a type of motile igneous rock formation.

harpy
Aug 24th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Heehee! Those are good ones, Ms Derious and Pusskins (was that girl following you around all day then? :D ).

pusskins
Aug 24th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Heehee! Those are good ones, Ms Derious and Pusskins (was that girl following you around all day then? :D ).

Felt like it! We were sat next to her for the meal, and then she just ended up being in our vicinity the rest of the time!

I mean, it's true, isn't it? We are vegan because we hate food! (o_O)

harpy
Aug 24th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I think that's a good sign, she probably secretly wants to be a vegan and was following you around to pick up some tips. We all have to start somewhere ;)

ETA the idea that vegans and vegetarians must hate food seems to pop up a lot in newspaper columns etc doesn't it? They should see us!

Kate1978
Aug 24th, 2009, 09:24 PM
^ heck yeah, they should see how our group get stuck into a vegan potluck :D

helen105281
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Today I was offered some Turkish delight by a colleague (not the usual one who annoys me) and when I said no as I wasn't sure it was vegan he said "Oh it's not got Turkey in it". I just rolled my eyes. I would possibly have laughed if it had been anyone else but he always leaves the team drinks tray swimming in milk when he has made the drinks and it winds me up that I have to clean if before using it.

Daffodil
Feb 13th, 2010, 12:14 AM
It was my mother's birthday last week and she bought herself a birthday cake (oops me and sister didn't think of it!) she bought a Cadbury's flake cake coz she thought we all like chocolate and surely I can have just a small slice coz it's her birthday!????/

Um yes, I answered I do love chocolate but not chocolate that contains animal pus (to which i was told to shut up coz i was spoiling her enjoyment of the cake..... if it was turning her sick at the thought then why was she still eating????).

(I'm sure there used to be a threat with this title but I can't find it anywhere..)

fiamma
Feb 13th, 2010, 12:29 AM
The fact that non-vegans sometimes say things we don't agree with has been extensively dealt with here on VF...

she bought a Cadbury's flake cake coz she thought we all like chocolate and surely I can have just a small slice coz it's her birthday!????/

You could have made her a vegan cake ;)

I do love chocolate but not chocolate that contains animal pus

Possibly not the most appropriate time for such a comment....

I sympathise with your situation, but with a little forward planning it could have been avoided. Sorry.

Daffodil
Feb 13th, 2010, 12:31 AM
You could have made her a vegan cake ;)

me and cake making doesn't go together lol!

harpy
Feb 13th, 2010, 12:47 AM
I can't make cakes either. I have bought my mother and m-in-l the Blue Lotus (http://bluelotusproducts.co.uk) ones a few times though - bit expensive but I only get the teeny-weeny ones. They seem to go down well although I think the m-in-l is a bit mystified as to why I buy her vegan ones when she isn't vegan :rolleyes:

fiamma
Feb 13th, 2010, 01:49 PM
me and cake making doesn't go together lol!

Sorry, didn't think of that :o Sorry if my post was harsh.

Daffodil
Feb 13th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Sorry, didn't think of that :o Sorry if my post was harsh.

not at all :-)

me n sis should have been more thoughtful and bought her a cake....

Tofu Monkey
Feb 13th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I was in a similar situation the other day. My flat mate made my other flat mate a cake for her birthday and asked if I wanted some. I said I didn't and he said "but it's her birthday' and got really offended when I refused. It's like people think you'll switch off your morality just to stop people from getting offended! The ironic thing is that he didn't have any of the cake himself because he'd made it with banana and he hates banana!

Spud Addict
Feb 13th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Oh, well it's alright for other people to refuse but if it's you then you're the Anti Christ or something. It's like when people say, "well there's only a tiny bit of [insert ingredient of misery here] in this cake, a tiny bit won't matter!"
:rolleyes:

helen105281
Feb 13th, 2010, 10:16 PM
It is really annoying isn't it, I get it a lot too, have also had quality street thrown at me at work when I refused to eat them. Also whenever I take anything vegan in they overanalyse what they are eating because they are scared of it as it's not 'normal'.

Am getting a lot of people telling me to eat meat at the mo as my cold has returned and feel like crap. GRRRRRR

Spud Addict
Feb 13th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hmm, you must have got that cold from all those vitamin deficiencies you have. Oh, and not getting any iron or protein. :D

helen105281
Feb 13th, 2010, 10:20 PM
:lol::lol:

harpy
Feb 13th, 2010, 11:34 PM
The ironic thing is that he didn't have any of the cake himself because he'd made it with banana and he hates banana!

:lol: There's nowt so queer as folks!

buttons
Feb 14th, 2010, 02:54 AM
It is really annoying isn't it, I get it a lot too, have also had quality street thrown at me at work when I refused to eat them. Also whenever I take anything vegan in they overanalyse what they are eating because they are scared of it as it's not 'normal'.

Ah, the all-consuming fear of seeming abnormal!:rolleyes:

LysergicButterfly
Mar 15th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I was talking to my best friend about chicken farms the other day which culminated in him saying "For God's sake! Not everywhere is a Chicken Death Camp!"

I found that really funny, mostly because of the intense frustration in which he said it XD!

aliaslotte
Mar 22nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
I've been told I am going to be deficient in protein, iron and calcium a lot and my Gran did ask if I could have goat's milk as though that were a perfectly reasonable vegan product.

A lot of people seem to find the concept of change too difficult. For example, my flatmates say that they base their meal around what meat/fish they have in. Even my vegetarian friend is the same, basing her meals on cheese, eggs and fish. I tend to base my meals around the vegetables I have in - eg, root vegetables will be turned into a stew with lentils or a pie maybe, whereas stir fry vegetables will be served with a Chinese or Thai sauce [homemade] and rice/noodles. :)