PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Roxy
Jul 10th, 2005, 08:44 PM
While out and about in my animal liberation sweater only one person bothered to read and comment on it. What was his comment you ask?? Well he felt the need to inform me that hunting is actually benificial to the animals and all this stuff about how much the hunters have helped the animals. I had nothing to poke back with at the moment so I only listened and he indirectly characterized me as one of the "uniformed" youth. I dunno if he meant it in a positive light or not but it still kinda rattled me.

Hunting is beneficial to animals.......I'd love to know what he bases that on? Did he say why hunters have helped animals?

Sounds like a "misinformed" adult if you ask me.

TheFirstBus
Jul 10th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Oh he went on about how it was hunters that helped to make laws to protect the deer population and stuff. Essentially it went along the lines of making sure the deer don't go extinct so he can still hunt them. He went on about strings of illness if the hunted animals were left alone. Very warped. I have heard this alot before though some people are very firm in there belief that hunting animals is benicificial to the overall population.

Kumem
Jul 10th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Thankfully most of the people I meet think that hunting is barbaric. They still think meat is okay though :(

TheFirstBus
Jul 11th, 2005, 02:55 AM
I could never understand that. I don't advocate hunting but sometimes its a quicker death for the animal something you may get from the store. I don't often see how anyone could hide behind compassion just because they buy it from the store. Sorry if I sound stubbern

Michelle
Jul 11th, 2005, 03:41 AM
I've gotten the whole "hunters are the ones helping wild animals because the money we pay for hunting licenses funds the wildlife protection program blah blah blah thing" before. I wasn't impressed, of course. However, like First Bus, if a person just thinks they HAVE to eat meat, I think I'd rather hear that they are hunting their own instead of buying it at the supermarket. At least the hunted animals were not caged and beaten before their brutal death (i hope).

Lilith
Jul 14th, 2005, 11:37 PM
"WHy not put the animals to good use rather than battery farming them and slaughtering them then just leaving them on a big pile??? That's what would happen if we didnt eat animals."

AAAAARGH :mad:
I LOVE HIM SO MUCH BUT WHY DOES HE COME UP WITH SUCH BULLS*IT WHEN IT COMES TO WHAT I EAT AND VEGANISM??

I told him that if people didn't wat meat there'd be no need for slaughter in the first place.

The he said: man will nevr stop slaughtering animals, and if they do it wont be for hundreds of years.
He may have a truth there.......that's why it made me nearly want to cry.

absentmindedfan
Jul 15th, 2005, 02:56 PM
I often hear 'isn't it hard to be healthy on a vegan diet?', and when I do, I ask people to look at me. I ask them 'do I *look* unhealthy to you?'.
They then mysteriously shut up :D

It's funny how appealing to women's vanity furthers the vegan diet cause more than anything else. People often say one of these things to me:
You've got such lovely hair
You've lost weight you look really slim
What lovely skin you have
Your nails are in really good condition
You look really healthy.
What do I answer? 'Vegan diet'. It sure gets them thinking!

Boyf has never felt healthier than on the vegan diet he's on now. But obviously that counts for nothing to some! :rolleyes:

Also I've noticed several of my female meat-eating friends have had anaemia. I have never had it, despite the 'Iron Deficiency' mantra that was thrown at me as a vegetarian teen. I find it amusing that something veg*ns are supposedly more prone to I have never had, while several meat-eating girls I've know have. Anyone else noticed this?

Crimsonskies
Aug 5th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Alright, so many of you may be familiar with 'livejournals'.. So I was looking at this one yesterday from this girl who attended my school. But, any rate, she knew I was vegan, so while I was reading it, her most recent entry had said..

"i am going vegan, not because it's healthier and better for the world and all that blah blah blah i don't care.
i am do it because it will help me go back to a size 1 jeans."

For one, I think that's horrible. And I wouldn't consider that 'going vegan' because your heart isn't in the right place when you're doing it. I just consider it going on a diet..

Anyway, point is...stupid things non-vegans say about being vegan or stupid reasons they say for either wanting or not wanting to go vegan...

Some people make me sick.

ZM
Oct 28th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Oh he went on about how it was hunters that helped to make laws to protect the deer population and stuff. Essentially it went along the lines of making sure the deer don't go extinct so he can still hunt them. He went on about strings of illness if the hunted animals were left alone. Very warped. I have heard this alot before though some people are very firm in there belief that hunting animals is benicificial to the overall population.

.. Uhhhh?

One line of thinking I could never understand: hunting helps the animals!

When I ask why, I almost invariably get an answer something like 'well it keeps the population in check'. You know what? You could get the same effect if you reinstated the natural predators, fuckhead. Don't talk to me about having a 'duty' to 'keep the population in check' when you were the ones that put them in that situation in the first place.

Argh! Hypocracy. It buuuuuurns!

Yogini
Oct 28th, 2005, 03:14 PM
I do agree that hunting is totally wrong and that most hunters are total jackoffs. But at least a hunter is willing to take a life him or herself rather than eating the meat after someone else got their hands bloody and took a life.

My father hunts for two reasons: 1) he thinks its fun (ugh) and 2) he thinks that if you eat meat, you should have to kill the animal yourself (I grudgingly respect this philosophy.) I was staying with a Chilean family several years ago and somehow my father's hunting came up. The mother and oldest daughter in the family were horrified and started talking about how mean hunting is and that as a veterinarian, my father should have more compassion for animals. I agree with this, but the bizarre part is that they were frying meat while they were telling me this! I tried to politely explain that there's no difference between buyging meat at the supermarket and hunting the animal yourself (there is, see above, but most people are beyond understanding that). The mom actually said "Yes, there is a difference!" I had to get along with these people because they'd taken me into their home, so I didn't raise a stink, but it still blows my mind that people think like this.

Incidentally, Chileans are definitely not vegan friendly, but they eat way less meat than gringos do.

mew_76
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Hunting is definitely wrong but at least its a more 'honest' way of feeding yourself, if you're a meat eater, than picking up a neatly wrapped package of meat from the supermarket. At least you're facing the animal you're killing.

If everyone had to kill, gut and skin their own meat before eating it, I can't see there being many meat eaters on the planet.

This girl at work says she gags everytime she has to deal with the raw meat she prepares for her an her boyfriends meals and I don't understand why she does it. She was a vegetarian for years and literally has to force the image of the animal/raw meat from her mind when eating the finished meal. Odd.

abrennan
Oct 29th, 2005, 12:27 AM
I am extremely concerned about people who are "wiiling" to take the life of other beings. Studies show that people who kill other beings usually are also willing to harm other humans. The same studies show that people who murder other humand usuallu have a history of murdering other animals. I feel that there is no honour in the taking of the life of others whether it is to eat or not. Most hunters aren't hunting for food they are hunting for SPORT, that means for the THRILL of the stalk and kill.

Don't take me to be contradicting you Yogini, I think you are bringing up some interesting talking points.:)

I don't know about where you live but the state I live in New South Wales, Austraalaia, allows people to murder millions of Kangaroos and other creatures, the hunting clubs are clamouring to be allowed to shoot and kill a wider variety of creatures underthe guise of population control.:(

ZM
Oct 29th, 2005, 04:13 AM
One thing I get is -- "You don't know plants don't feel pain!" Erm yes, I do?

And then I get the "You can't prove they don't!" No shit, Sherlock. You can't prove a negative.

I can't prove you do or don't exist completely and totally without any doubt, only beyond reasonable doubt. Pain needs both a central nervous system and neurotransmitters (!), if you block the latter with, say, endorphins, you won't feel pain.

As for the "they respond when they're attacked!" thing, guess what: single-celled organisms will jerk away when touched. Ask a biologist of any sort if they feel pain.

Seriously. Just because something reacts doesn't mean it feels pain; however, animals have a pain-receptor system virtually identical to humans.

And among the other ignorant comments:

"Veganism isn't really doing anything." -- Shitload more than you're doing.
"What would you rather have -- grazing happily in a field for your life until you're killed, or starving and having your throat ripped out?" -- Give me liberty or give me death: it means more than 'kill me, please!'
"Not all living beings are equal, therefore cows are inferior to us." -- Mmm, I love the smell of fallacy in the morning.
"We deserve to subjugate other beings, since we figured out how to live a life of comfort." -- And chances are, I could probably rape/kill you, since I'm a good bit heavier than many people. Do I "deserve" to?
"Animals don't CHOOSE." -- No shit, you're not letting them, fuckhead.

mew_76
Oct 29th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I totally agree with you abrennan, the concept of hunting for sport is so messed up. As is hunting for any reason, whether you're going to eat it or not. Its completely unacceptable.

How can hunting another living being with guns or dogs be considered sport, the animal has no way of fighting back, they can't retaliate and don't have any defence atall. Its totally sick.

I grew up in the country wherea lot of fox hunting went on and when I was about 6 the hunted fox ran into our garden shed, persued by loads of dogs and my Dad locked it in to protect it and we had loads of red coated horse riders hanging around saying 'Have you seen the fox?' and my Dad totally kicked off at them.

Ive seen pheasants plucked fron the sky by bullets too, this beautiful creature flying away and then BANG and you just see it fall like a stone.

Another time when I was little, on holiday in Spain me and my bro were flicking through spanish tv and there was bullfighting, it was totally scarring to watch them running with spearing hanging out of them.

What is WRONG with people?

John
Oct 29th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I can see why people eat meat: They like the taste; being a strict vegetarian can estrange one somewhat from other people; and perhaps they are unable to feel much empathy with an animal.

However, to take it to the level of actually deriving pleasure from killing an animal is a different matter.

For instance, in a war the soldiers are killing others because they feel that they must do so--for whatever reason. But the soldier who is enjoying killing other people is a sick (or perhaps evil) human being--at least temporarily.

Michael Benis
Oct 29th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Alright, so many of you may be familiar with 'livejournals'.. So I was looking at this one yesterday from this girl who attended my school. But, any rate, she knew I was vegan, so while I was reading it, her most recent entry had said..

"i am going vegan, not because it's healthier and better for the world and all that blah blah blah i don't care.
i am do it because it will help me go back to a size 1 jeans."

For one, I think that's horrible. And I wouldn't consider that 'going vegan' because your heart isn't in the right place when you're doing it. I just consider it going on a diet..

Anyway, point is...stupid things non-vegans say about being vegan or stupid reasons they say for either wanting or not wanting to go vegan...

Some people make me sick.

It could have just been bravado to keep the omnis off her back....

mew_76
Oct 30th, 2005, 08:15 AM
It could have just been bravado to keep the omnis off her back...

And if it means that shes not supporting the meat and dairy industry and buying in to that market then thats fine by me. Maybe her heart isn't in the right place but if shes not consuming those things its still beneficial to animals and the earth. Maybe Im missing the point a bit but on a basic level her actions, by not consuming animal products, are still doing good. If she gets in to her size 1's then fair play to her, I hope it takes her a life time of 'veganism' to get there.

Hemlock
Oct 30th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Two friends of mine when I had a cold once: "We never get colds because we eat meat, we're very healthy".
The wife weighs at least 15 stone and neither of them (aged 35) can walk more than 200 yards without puffing, panting, moaning, craking, clutching their chests.
I took them and their kids on a 2 mile walk once and wheras I at 43 was bounding along like a gazelle, they all looked like they were going to die!!!
Healthy my arse, I wonder how long it will be before they get diabetes/heart disease :mad:

Yogini
Oct 31st, 2005, 03:43 PM
Well, I never get colds and I DON'T eat meat. So there. I also never get salmonella and ecoli. :)

Love,
Anna

Yogini
Nov 1st, 2005, 02:44 AM
I just thought of another one. "Don't be stupid! You can't avoid animal products - they're in everything. There's animal fat in soap, for crissakes!"

Love,
Anna

Yoggy
Nov 6th, 2005, 04:13 AM
Omni: "But lions eat meat, so why shouldn't we?"
Me: "If all the lions jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?"

Stupid response from me, but the guy I was talking to didn't want to have a reasonable discussion.

treehugga
Nov 6th, 2005, 06:10 AM
I usually get 'it's natural for us to eat meat. Most animals eat other animals' I answer with 'Yes and some animals eat their young, but I wouldn't consider it" People tend to get huffy when you respond to their comments and I find that interesting. Could it be guilt? :)

Yogini
Nov 6th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Could it be guilt? :)

I totally believe it's guilt. People who accept that what they're eating/wearing is dead and aren't bothered by it won't argue with you. The ones who get defensive are the ones who know, deep down, that it's wrong but aren't strong enough, smart enough, or whatever, to do anything about it.

Love,
Anna

maya
Nov 11th, 2005, 02:29 PM
What do you mean you dont eat meat?:eek: You dont know what you are missing?

I picked this up from another forum. Shhhhhhhh dont tell anyone.

nettie
Nov 13th, 2005, 09:53 PM
It's probably been on here before but my two bug bears are

1. "I'm a vegetarian....I only eat animals that eat grass". This is from an uncle who always says it then laughs a very long loud laugh.
2." Ah yes BUT if you were stuck on a dessert island with only a rabbit would you eat the rabbit". My reply now is - "the first time I was stuck on a dessert island I was tempted, but the second time I didn't think about it, and by the third time".... and I just keep going until the person asking gets fed up with me being sarky.
I used to have a booklet called the vegans spotter guide where I could tick off stupid comments.:)