PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

MCMLXXXVI
Jun 6th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Lol, well you should try talking to this guy. Almost everything he says is BS :p I think I pissed him off. We were arguing back when I was vegetarian aswell and he told me that the cheese pizza I was eating had meat in the tomato sauce. I told him they didn't, but he stood by it. So we called the pizza place and they said they don't put meat in the tomato sauce and that a cheese pizza was vegetarian... He said they must have recently changed it :rolleyes: He's the type of person you just have to nod and smile at :p Good guy, just misinformed.

Once he started arguing with me about vegan health, I messaged him some pictures of some real stats and facts once I got home. He didn't message me back... I couldn't just let someone walk away with the wrong information.

He sounds arrogant yet ignorant by choice at the same time, like my brother. My brother is so infuriating, when I told him that the WHO currently recommends no more than 200g of red meat a week he replied with "bullshit! They're full of shit!", yeah ok, so the WHO made up that statistic JUST to disagree with your point of view and it wasn't based on scientific data compiled by the best health professionals on the planet. He also says I'm not qualified to talk about it (because I haven't graduated from Medical Science yet) and I just say that everything I learn contributes to a scientific degree and it's not as though I'm wrong about everything until I get the piece of paper and then all my exact same opinions will magically be accurate once I have the physical degree on paper. He's so frustrating.

Good on you for emailing that guy some information though. Maybe once he saw some of your reasons in writing from a credible source he realised you weren't just making it up.

Back-Space
Jun 6th, 2010, 02:37 AM
He sounds arrogant yet ignorant by choice at the same time, like my brother. My brother is so infuriating, when I told him that the WHO currently recommends no more than 200g of red meat a week he replied with "bullshit! They're full of shit!", yeah ok, so the WHO made up that statistic JUST to disagree with your point of view and it wasn't based on scientific data compiled by the best health professionals on the planet. He also says I'm not qualified to talk about it (because I haven't graduated from Medical Science yet) and I just say that everything I learn contributes to a scientific degree and it's not as though I'm wrong about everything until I get the piece of paper and then all my exact same opinions will magically be accurate once I have the physical degree on paper. He's so frustrating.

Good on you for emailing that guy some information though. Maybe once he saw some of your reasons in writing from a credible source he realised you weren't just making it up.

Yeah, it's quite irritating. I don't care when he starts going on about how amazing his truck is, or how RIM wants to offer him a $120 000 job with no education, but when he spews such garbage about something I take seriously, I just can't let it go without confrontation.

Medical science huh? That must be pretty cool :) What are you planning to go into?

kikifromscotland
Jun 6th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Omni: But we have to have meat or people would die!!!

Me: How would people die?

Omni: Because there wouldn't be enough food.

Me: But we grow so many crops for animals, if we stopped feeding it to animals and fed it to humans then there would be enough to feed the world's hungry.

Omni: I don't believe you.

Me: I'll show you my sources, there's this site-

Omni: No don't bother I don't believe these sites. And at any rate people would die. People don't want to be vegan.

Me: Wha..? You mean if we stopped having farmed animals, and there was enough food for everyone, people would deliberately starve instead of eating non-animal foods?

Omni: I have to go now.

:dizzy:

Vivien
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:15 AM
people always say- you dont eat cheese/chocolate/eggs/meat? Oh, I couldn't do that!
...like I'm some kind of superhuman? So many people say it, and its so silly!

Shrapnel
Jun 10th, 2010, 04:53 AM
What a day!

Ive been called an 'elitist' today

Asked what do I eat?!

Called extreme for not wearing leather (ie. walking boots)

And, would it be that bad if I did have non-vegan cake?!

The elitist one always is among the most absurd. The best response I can think of is to ask who is the one believing that all life is equal, and who is the one who thinks he/she is so important that his/her satisfaction is worth another's life.

patientia
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:25 AM
When I have just become a vegan, some 6 years ago, I attended a "Crępe party" and didn't eat any because they were made with eggs and milk. I was told by the host's bf: "All vegetarians who don't eat meat because of animals should be put into the concentration camps." My bf (meateater) and I then left.

I have known that guy for years, he seemed OK.

RubyDuby
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:03 PM
wow ^

my bf got into a discussion with a co-worker yesterday over why he doesn't eat dairy. She told him all of his arguments would be valid if he were Buddhist. :confused: Animal abuse is ok as long as it doesn't go against your religion? I can't figure it out...

patientia
Jun 15th, 2010, 12:22 PM
^ :facepalm:

What kind of logic is that?

Well, some people have asked me: "Are you of some other faith?" other meaning other than Roman Chatolic.

Mollfie
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:50 PM
This is a friend of mines housemate. I made a facebook status of "uuuugh I shouldn't watch cooking programmes, I hate watching stupid people slurp up veal like it's no big deal" thinking that most of my friends would know me well enough to know I'm never going to agree it's ok to eat/use animal products and that I'm also being silly lol. Silly I know, but I honestly though that my friends would take it lightly! Thye normally do, but I forgot I have some people added who don't really know me.

I got:

Actually by opting out your harming the situation. Buying decent meat produced humanely helps supermarkets to stock veal thats had a long life and stop producing the veal that gets killed at birth. It's all about public demand. and so I replied saying the usual no such thing as humane meat etcetc

then got:

I used to be a vegan and veggie at different times and I did a lot of research beforehand.

That's where quite a lot of meat eaters go wrong as well, only you don't mean it in a cruel way. Just because the animal will end up dead doesn't mean anything. It's like if I ever mucked out a stable and left it for a week telling... See more the owner" it'll just get dirty again. What's the point?"

Humane eggs are from chickens who haven't been cooped up with no sunlight and no room to move. Humane chickens are chickens who live longer and live the way nature intended. With sun, corn, grass etc. I used to work on a meat site, I've been into abattoirs. There is a big difference between killing humanely and not. Most cases I've seen beforehand, and some I've stopped during much to the chargrain of my bosses.

In a way it is helping the environment like the cycle of life, the fox keeps down the rabbit population. We keep down the cows otherwise they will over populate fields thus overcrowding. Cows and other farm animals produce gases that harm the environment, also with no space to move they'll starve to death.

Only the people buying the products will sway the supermarkets to stock decent produce, not buying it may express your views on the topic but it won't change much. We need a high majority of the public to buy meat produced and slaughtered humanely. You're forgetting that supermarkets only think in terms of money.

I agree with the exploitation part though and I respect your choice to not eat animals. Few people who don't eat meat respect the choice of people who do. We are a race that thrives off using others for our own gain, good intentions or not. It's just human nature only backed up with the fact that we as a race are meant to eat meat, our ability to think for ourselves allows us the choice.

The people like Hugh Fearnley who actively produce animals in a humane way should be praised. We need more celebrities to back it. It is a pity not many people do. Farmers don't want to produce unhappy animals, the wellbeing of an animal matters very much to a carer. I know, I worked with horses and other animals since I was seven. Rule number one, the animal come first, then the customer, then sometimes the carer. The supermarkets have just confused what comes first and needs the public to set it straight.

Join Compassion World Farming, it's a site which is very useful and will show you what meat eaters do to ensure the meat we eat has had a good, long and natural life. There are also petitions on there so vegetarian's can help as well.Uuuuuuugh I replied just saying I'm already a member, most farms aren't like that etcetcetc. I wasn't being serious! I think she feels like I'm saying people who eat veal/meat are stupid which I'm not really lol, the woman on the programme didn't know veal came from calves, and after being told about the process and eating it then went to coo over the cute little calfs. O_o

I feel a little bad quoting the whole thing but I just felt annoyed because what she's saying isn't really true, except for a few farms. So many people believe this and it makes me sad.

RubyDuby
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:58 PM
She's justifying something that cannot be justified. Her logic is completely flawed... I won't preach to the choir, but just thought this part needed to be quoted again,
You're forgetting that supermarkets only think in terms of money.Exactly, dumbass. Vegans don't give money to the meat industry. (sorry :o)

Mollfie
Jun 15th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Thank you! I did a rather half assed reply because she's very hard headed and I can't be bothered. If she really has done her research then she wouldn't still be eating animal products.

Glad it's not just me, I wasn't sure if I was just being over-sensitive.

BlackCats
Jun 15th, 2010, 09:48 PM
^

"In a way it is helping the environment like the cycle of life, the fox keeps down the rabbit population. We keep down the cows otherwise they will over populate fields thus overcrowding. Cows and other farm animals produce gases that harm the environment, also with no space to move they'll starve to death."

Oh dear.:p

RubyDuby
Jun 15th, 2010, 09:53 PM
the whole thing puts me in attack mode. I need to go have an herbal tea or something. :p

patientia
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Poor girl!

Mollfie
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:54 PM
It's fine, I just said we'd have to agree to disagree and that I'm always happy to talk more if she wants to. Atleast she's sensible enough to not get really defensive and mean like some people, she does try to argue properly which I appreciate.

It just annoys me that she thinks like this, and that so many others do. But I understand it's not her fault really lol, it's just a way of thinking that most people have. Maybe one day she'll change her mind, you never know.

patientia
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:21 PM
No, I mean she is a poor girl. Poor reasoning.

Sorry if I offended you ;)

Enchantress
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:27 PM
^

"In a way it is helping the environment like the cycle of life, the fox keeps down the rabbit population. We keep down the cows otherwise they will over populate fields thus overcrowding. Cows and other farm animals produce gases that harm the environment, also with no space to move they'll starve to death."

Oh dear.:p

Haha, there are so many things wrong with that I wouldn't know where to start.

Manderin
Jun 15th, 2010, 11:40 PM
I had someone tell me the other day "Please don't be a vegan! I like meat and cheese!"

I'm now thinking I should have replied "and you liking something means I have to eat it why?" but I didn't. I think I just ignored him, since that's what everyone else in math class does.

Back-Space
Jun 16th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I had someone tell me the other day "Please don't be a vegan! I like meat and cheese!"

I'm now thinking I should have replied "and you liking something means I have to eat it why?" but I didn't. I think I just ignored him, since that's what everyone else in math class does.

I had someone say that to me! He wants to go to this restaurant that supposedly makes the best burgers in town, and has no one else to go with :mad: So my choices are to go there and turn my back on everything I believe in, or go there and watch him scarf down a burger while I order a glass of water. I don't think so....

BlackCats
Jun 20th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I just read this comment online:

"I stay wary of these diets. one women got killed from raw veganism & someone else's daughters had lots of abnormal health problems growing up raw vegan (stunted growth, holes in teeth)"

:rolleyes::D

Back-Space
Jun 20th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Lol. Can't trust what you read online :p Although I think there was a case where a child died when their parents fed them a vegan diet. I think that was poor research into the diet and what nutrients children need, not veganism itself.

patientia
Jun 20th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Many children died when their parents fed them meat. What does that say about eating meat?

There's one website, named "What's the harm" about alternative medicine harming people (usually by not treating them) and they have a section about child vegetarianism. They used to have a section about vegetarianism, with examples like:
John Doe was a vegetarian, he walked in nature, ate poisonous berries and died.

So when a meateater eats poisonous berries, it's an accident, but when a vegetarian eats poisonous berries, it's because he's a vegetarian :rolleyes:

BlackCats
Jun 20th, 2010, 01:34 PM

:lol:

I don't know why I keep reading things that are annoying me today.

"Just this year I was truly moved by the book The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1604860804?ie=UTF8&tag=wwwdanielvita-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=1604860804)http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=wwwdanielvita-20&l=as2&o=1&a=1604860804 by Lierre Kieth. Her story parallels my own in many ways, even down to the encounter with Weston Price’s book. She laid out so beautifully how Vegetarianism is more than just destructive for our bodies, it is destructive to our eco-system. Farming is what turned the fertile cresent into a desert, what turned the Nile Valley into sand dunes… and remember, that was Organic Farming! They did not have the “Commercial” or “Industrial” farming practices that we do today!
The most powerful conclusion of her book is this… That the beginning of Adult Wisdom lays in accepting that something must Die for you to Live. This is universally true for all humans…

With this Wisdom I was resolved to hunt my own meat, and to develop the relationship with the animals that this requires. To see them face to face, from start to finish."

And....

"Vegan diets of any sort are an attempt to impose personal ethics onto personal biology; I choose to base my diet on biology rather than unnatural sympathy for my food."

:pissed:

Back-Space
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:09 PM
:lol:

I don't know why I keep reading things that are annoying me today.

"Just this year I was truly moved by the book The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1604860804?ie=UTF8&tag=wwwdanielvita-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=1604860804)http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=wwwdanielvita-20&l=as2&o=1&a=1604860804 by Lierre Kieth. Her story parallels my own in many ways, even down to the encounter with Weston Price’s book. She laid out so beautifully how Vegetarianism is more than just destructive for our bodies, it is destructive to our eco-system. Farming is what turned the fertile cresent into a desert, what turned the Nile Valley into sand dunes… and remember, that was Organic Farming! They did not have the “Commercial” or “Industrial” farming practices that we do today!
The most powerful conclusion of her book is this… That the beginning of Adult Wisdom lays in accepting that something must Die for you to Live. This is universally true for all humans…

With this Wisdom I was resolved to hunt my own meat, and to develop the relationship with the animals that this requires. To see them face to face, from start to finish."

And....

"Vegan diets of any sort are an attempt to impose personal ethics onto personal biology; I choose to base my diet on biology rather than unnatural sympathy for my food."

:pissed:

Yeah... I guess these people who have been vegan for 20+ years are miracles to the science world :p "Look how they've been sustaining themselves on nothing but fruits and vegetables! But where do they get their protein!?!?!" :rolleyes:

And peoples ethics and morals have an affect on everything... Why is it so hard to believe it would include our diets? :confused: "Unnatural sympathy for my food"... Spoken like a true snob...

Back-Space
Jun 20th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Many children died when their parents fed them meat. What does that say about eating meat?

There's one website, named "What's the harm" about alternative medicine harming people (usually by not treating them) and they have a section about child vegetarianism. They used to have a section about vegetarianism, with examples like:

So when a meateater eats poisonous berries, it's an accident, but when a vegetarian eats poisonous berries, it's because he's a vegetarian :rolleyes:

Lol. Meat eaters can do no wrong :p It's kind of like that line. When animals do something, it's instinct. But when we do something for the same reason, it's intelligence.