PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

harpy
Jul 23rd, 2010, 11:26 AM
My parents are wanting me to be vegetarian so we can still go to restaurants...

Hi Back-Space - are you sure you can't go to any restaurants? A lot here have a dish that they will adapt to be vegan, though they may need a bit of notice - you could ask a few, if you haven't already? Maybe if you can sort out the "social" side of being a vegan your parents will be more co-operative. For some people eating together is quite an important symbol of "togetherness" but to make that happen they ought to compromise about what's actually eaten.

Back-Space
Jul 24th, 2010, 12:35 AM
fish oil? eww. seriously?
It'll get easier. :heart:

Yeah, it was DHA enriched or something like that, which I guess the fish oil would have been for. We've never bought that type of bread before so I don't know why they brought that home. They say they didn't read the label, but I've been grocery shopping with them before. They read EVERYTHING. Expiry date, nutrition facts, ingredients... I don't get what the problem is.

You should read something like the China Study so when people ask you where you heard that you have something better then then internet. Also, it's a great book

The China Study huh? I'll have to look for that :) I was looking online for information from a source that wouldn't be argued with, but couldn't find much. I heard some of the same things over and over, but if there's nothing to back it up, I can't use it. My reason for being vegan is 100% about the way animals are treated, so when a health debate comes up, I'm kind of under prepared :( And it's hard to argue with a health professional who seems so sure about themselves. All I was saying is that I've found different sources of calcium. Whether milk is healthy or not, I'm unsure... All I know is it's not essential.

I wouldn't go along with it. It sounds too much like ridicule to me. Maybe I'm wrong, that's just the way the idea comes across.

Those 9, being steak eaters, are not going change their habits on account of a silly little game. So set a good example and be happy, intelligent and healthy vegan.

Yeah, I would take something like this offensively, but it's something I could see some of my friends trying. They'd probably get a kick out of knowing they've found something I didn't know how to answer. I've tried setting a good example for people, unfortunately it's harder to convert people than I'd thought :p The healthy vegan argument doesn't really apply to me since I didn't become vegan for health reasons. I see 9 vegan meals for dinner as obviously helping the cause, but at the cost of me having to eat meat(which as much as I still crave it, I'd prefer not to do)... I'm still unsure about how I'd handle the situation :(

Hi Back-Space - are you sure you can't go to any restaurants? A lot here have a dish that they will adapt to be vegan, though they may need a bit of notice - you could ask a few, if you haven't already? Maybe if you can sort out the "social" side of being a vegan your parents will be more co-operative. For some people eating together is quite an important symbol of "togetherness" but to make that happen they ought to compromise about what's actually eaten.

We don't eat out all that much anyhow. This city isn't exactly vegan friendly yet, and I'm somewhat of a picky eater so I've just stopped eating out altogether. They just had their wedding anniversary and wanted to go to a local 'all you can eat' buffet. I could have the bread, and maybe the french fries.... The fruit for dessert... I don't think the onion rings are vegan are they? So a $15 meal for some bread and fruit doesn't get me anywhere near the meal I could make myself :p

I think their biggest problem is Christmas. "So we're going to make a big Christmas dinner with ham and turkey, mashed potatoes, etc etc. and you're not going to eat any of it?" It's like they expect me to give up soon, like I'm playing a mean joke on them. Kind of aggravating from my point of view...

DiaShel
Jul 24th, 2010, 06:38 AM
The China Study huh? I'll have to look for that :) I was looking online for information from a source that wouldn't be argued with, but couldn't find much. I heard some of the same things over and over, but if there's nothing to back it up, I can't use it. My reason for being vegan is 100% about the way animals are treated, so when a health debate comes up, I'm kind of under prepared :( And it's hard to argue with a health professional who seems so sure about themselves. All I was saying is that I've found different sources of calcium. Whether milk is healthy or not, I'm unsure... All I know is it's not essential.

It'll be the perfect read then. It's a summary of 2000 studies they did on the health benefits of a plant based plant. It shows that milk is NOT healthy.

harpy
Jul 24th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I could have the bread, and maybe the french fries.... The fruit for dessert... I don't think the onion rings are vegan are they? So a $15 meal for some bread and fruit doesn't get me anywhere near the meal I could make myself

I know that feeling, I've paid over the odds for a baked potato with nothing on it or a plate of salad many a time just in order to keep family members happy. But after I've done that I also feel justified in steering them towards a more vegan-friendly place another time :devil:

Back-Space
Jul 25th, 2010, 07:00 AM
It'll be the perfect read then. It's a summary of 2000 studies they did on the health benefits of a plant based plant. It shows that milk is NOT healthy.

I just picked this book up today :) I haven't had time to really sit down and start reading it yet, and am out of time today. It looks pretty good though. I'll probably be able to finish it within 3 days :p I'll finally have some source of health arguments to fall back on.

I know that feeling, I've paid over the odds for a baked potato with nothing on it or a plate of salad many a time just in order to keep family members happy. But after I've done that I also feel justified in steering them towards a more vegan-friendly place another time :devil:

I'm also not big on watching people sit around eating meat, looking down on me for my backward thinking... Or sitting there telling me how much I'm missing out. Maybe eating with some people who were a little more understanding would also be a little more enjoyable, but I don't know many of those people.

Something happened today that really pissed me off. Me and my friend go to Subway for lunch, and I get him to order my sub while I use the washroom. I come back out and he's asked for two 'cold-cut' subs, except with the two orders of meat on one sub, and the veggies on the other.... He knew I was angry with him so he says something along the lines of "Well, if you're not going to eat it, I might aswell" Not quite sure how to express the anger I felt. Misunderstood, and used... I've almost gotten to the point of where I'm just sick of hanging out with omnis. It just bothers me now.

RainInStarlight
Jul 27th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I usually just get the whole comment, "Well, I was raised eating meat!" while some omni chows down on some kind of burger...or sandwich of some type.
I usually just look at them kind of snarky-like and say, "Well, I was too."
That usually makes them think...
Or just stare at me like I'm an alien.
Or both. lol

twinkle toes
Aug 2nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
today somebody at work told me about how they'd been on holiday and had gone to the beach and gone fishing for crabs, but it was ok because they didn't use fishing hooks they used a net instead :/ i bet those crabs had a great time!

Manderin
Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:16 AM
I had my grandmother ask my father 'does she eat fish?' in reference to me. He told her I didn't, and after a pause she asked 'well, what about haddock?"

Because we all know haddock just doesn't count as a fish... lol

Tigerlily
Aug 4th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Annoying uncle: So, were you traumatized as a kid by a cow or something? Is that why you don't eat meat?
Me: No...

I didn't even bother trying to talk to that stupidity. If I was traumatized by a cow, I doubt that would lead me to ethical veganism. Now, if I had a POSITIVE cow experience, that would definitely most likely lead to me not eating them.

Morons really, really annoy me.

Manderin
Aug 4th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Also, if he's your uncle, wouldn't he be supposed to know that kind of thing?

Tigerlily
Aug 4th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Possibly but I'm not particularly close to that uncle.

RainInStarlight
Aug 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM
On the Shark Week thing, one of my friends looked at me for approval when he said that they only catch the sharks, take measurements of them (or whatever) and then put them back into the water. I was going to say something, but then someone else said something else before I could.
It's not okay to catch and release any kind of animal. I was going to ask him if some extraterrestrial pulled him up with a hook so high up till he couldn't breathe, measured him, stuck a tag in him, then put him back down on the earth, if it would be okay? *sigh*

Oh, and we were watching Shark Week again, and one of my friends was all feeling "ill" about the dead shark being cut open. (The sound was turned off...we were at a pool hall) The thing is...she had just eaten fish! I said, "You do realize, you just ate fish, right?" And she said, "Yeah" with a funny look on her face. Then she proceeded to tell her boyfriend that she wanted an aquarium.....after eating fish.

I just don't get the omnivores sometimes!

emzy1985
Aug 11th, 2010, 02:19 PM
The last three days has been abit of a nightmare for my partner and I. We had to travel up to Burnely for a funeral which is never pleasant and we also had to deal with a bunch of ignorant omnivores who love seafood to which I am allergic to. Ofcourse we cut them slack, afterall the head of the family had just passed away, it was the days following and the questions. I don't think I've been interegated like that for a long time.

"So if you ordered vegan takeaway and it arrived on a horse and cart, would you still eat it?"

"So you believe in spaying and neutering until there aren't any domesticated animals left?"

So on and so forth!!!!

:rollseyes_ani:

(Oh hi everyone!!)

Back-Space
Aug 12th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Lol, I try and change the topic. Usually only takes 3 or 4 tries and most people pick up that I don't want to discuss my diet. And for the 10% that don't pick up on it, I keep nodding my head and rolling my eyes sarcastically :p I don't mind discussions open minded discussions. Just sick of all the bad facts.

tina1808
Aug 20th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Actually, I had a friends mom trying to argue with me the other day. She's in the health profession so I really didn't know what to say. She kept telling me I should be drinking milk, and I tried to use some of the negatives I've read and she says "where'd you hear that? On the internet?" Uhhhh.... Crap... Then I said I've been talking to some people who have been vegan for over 20 years and they've done quite well without any dairy products.

Hi, I am new to being Vegan but I have been an ICU Nurse for 17 yrs, and I would tell your friend's mom to read "The China Study." This book showed how unhealthy it is to eat (or drink) any animal based foods. And as for things meat eaters say-so far, every one of them has said "how do you get any protein?" And my husband said "you're not going to change the world,you know". But I'm not going to change my mind, either!

princess_panda
Aug 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I am currently finding that however clear I make it to omni family memebers they still can't get their heads aorund my eating habits. Which means almost everytime they eat anything (particularly snacky type foods) they insist on asking, "Are you SURE you don't want any?". Maybe they live in the feint hope one if these times I will respond with, "Yes actually I will...turns out my ethical and dietary choices can be entirley subverted by a piece of cheese on toast!"...I think not! I know their intentions aren't bad-but still!

xxx

Back-Space
Aug 20th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hi, I am new to being Vegan but I have been an ICU Nurse for 17 yrs, and I would tell your friend's mom to read "The China Study." This book showed how unhealthy it is to eat (or drink) any animal based foods. And as for things meat eaters say-so far, every one of them has said "how do you get any protein?" And my husband said "you're not going to change the world,you know". But I'm not going to change my mind, either!

Someone else suggested that book to me actually, I'm about half way through it right now :) I like this person, she's always been very nice and understanding of me. She just doesn't seem to like this. And she isn't a fan of me preaching my veganism to her son either :p

Back-Space
Aug 20th, 2010, 09:07 PM
My parents do that too. Or they say "That would taste alot better with cheese, or ground beef..." Yeah, no doubt it would taste better. I guess they don't listen very well when I talk about ethics.

DiaShel
Aug 20th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I find that people tell me that they can't not ask if I want some of what they are eating because they feel rude to not offer. Seems like a backwards view to me. I think it's rude to offer someone something you know they won't eat.

MCMLXXXVI
Aug 21st, 2010, 02:07 AM
I've got one I want someone to figure out for me. I heard this online, so luckily I haven't been confronted with it or I wouldn't know what to do.

Say you go to a restaurant with 9 friends. They all plan on ordering steaks, but will change to a vegan meal if you change your order to a steak... So then a table of ten gets changed from 9 steaks and a vegan meal, to 9 vegan meals and a steak. How would you guys handle that situation? Kept thinking about that at work and couldn't come to a conclusion...

I'd agree to it and then not eat the steak; give it to my dog later or something.

Back-Space
Aug 21st, 2010, 03:16 AM
I find that people tell me that they can't not ask if I want some of what they are eating because they feel rude to not offer. Seems like a backwards view to me. I think it's rude to offer someone something you know they won't eat.

Yeah. I don't think some people realize how offensive some things are :( I've completely gotten sick of eating with omnis. I figure if they can't stomach a soup and pasta for supper knowing how I feel about the situation, then they're not worth eating with. Can't wait for the family Christmas... That'll be aggravating

I'd agree to it and then not eat the steak; give it to my dog later or something.

I've heard a few people say it could end up making us sick anyhow. Not sure why. Maybe all the cholesterol that we've gotten used to not consuming any more?

Haniska
Aug 23rd, 2010, 08:05 AM
I personally think that is just something people say, and to me only makes vegan food/nutrients look VASTLY different from an omnivorous diet. Usually the vein is that we can no longer digest animal protein.

animal-crackers
Aug 23rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
I think we should all start playing omni bingo, first one to get a full house wins....

http://www.animalcrackers.org.uk/forumimages/omni%20bingo.jpg

xx

earthling
Aug 23rd, 2010, 01:59 PM
^ I love this.

I was in a pub the other week where I met some new people (friends of friends). We were talking about Facebook. I mentioned that someone had unfriended me for being anti-foxhunting, and the woman I was speaking to expressed disbelief, etc, saying I was better off without said 'friend' (I agreed of course). Then the conversation went like this...

Her: Oh one of my friends on Facebook said that I'm a hypocrite for being anti-hunting when I eat meat. But I told her, it's completely different! (Obviously expecting me to agree.)
Me: ...
Her: She's one of those militant vegetarians, I hate them telling me what to do!
Me: ...
Her: (perhaps gathering now that what she was saying wasn't going over too well) Well I don't have anything against vegetarians, I couldn't do it but it's up to them, just don't tell me what to do!
Me: So anyway... (changes subject)

As I'd just met her I didn't want to get into a row (even tho' I completely agreed with her 'militant' friend!) so just stayed silent... :confused: I've heard this type of sentiment so often from omnis though. Expressing what seems like genuine compassion for certain animals (such as foxes, birds killed in the oil spill, etc) and then going on about how much they lurve steak. :rolleyes:

Also, my mum told me the other week that her and my dad have given up meat ('for the moment')... I think, yay, good for them, perhaps I'm finally having an influence! Then she said 'we're still eating fish though'... *facepalm*

DiaShel
Aug 23rd, 2010, 08:55 PM
^ That's pretty funny, but only because it didn't happen to me :p It just amuses me when an omni says something that they think you'll be happy about and... not so much.

My dad gave up meat except fish for a couple of years and then gave up fish later and now he's a vegetarian. I doubt he'd ever be vegan, but it's still in the right direction.