PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

insubordination
Mar 1st, 2006, 10:25 AM
"OMG you can't even eat honey?"

Well my brother's a bee researcher/keeper (Apiarist). You can imagine the shit I cop from not eating free honey.

But pollination of crops but..but..! I don't bother arguing with him. I've seen what he does with them.

pat sommer
Mar 1st, 2006, 11:32 AM
Daily Telegraph correspondant justifying vivisection in the run-up to the demo: "humans are conscious beings, animals are not" ...what a waste of an Oxford education on HER.

never fails to amaze me that so called educated experienced adults don't understand what every child knows.

I remind folks that it wasn't that long ago infants were not considered sentient and suffered terrible procedures without pain relief.

eclectic_one
Mar 1st, 2006, 03:41 PM
I had to comment on here because I was annoyed a few times yesterday. Two of my housemates decided that for lent they are going to go vegan. Just for lent. I was quite supportive of this, and encouraging and offered to help them with recipes etc. Even though they kept going on about how it was going to be "really hard" - while I was sat there and I said to them "well at least you're living with someone who's been vegan for 2 years" whereas I know most vegans aren't fortunate enough to have had this luck (me included) but anyway that didn't annoy me because I guess it is expected when people are used to eating a certain way all their life.
They are both 'veggies' (except they do eat fish sometimes) so at least they're not obsessed with meat, apart from the fish (which to me is just the same as meat)
anyway then they both started to eat a big block of cheese (which they don't normally do) just because they needed to finish it off before lent begins...hmm. Then one of them said " I'm really going to appreciate cheese after lent" ?! so I immediately said " well that's a bit pointless, going vegan so you can appreciate cheese once you stop being vegan) she was quite defensive of this and jumped on what I ad said "I didn't say I was going vegan to appreciate cheese...jsut that I will" this annoyed me a lot really...I didn't want to get into an argment with her because we are friends etc but I was thinking about it later and I can't believe how someone can say that they will "appreciate" cheese more once they've given it up. I really wanted to say that they're not going vegan for the same eason as the majority of people who go vegan are doing it - for ethical reasons. If they were then to suggest that cheese can be appreciated after knowing what cruelty dairy cows suffer from...just annoys me so much.
I know that she isn;t even a veggie for moral reasons (she's said this herself) but I thought I was getting my message across to her...Also I'm sure she's not aware of the full extent of just what the cheese-making process involves (i.e the cruelty). She even said yesterday she feel she needs to know more about nutrition etc etc (suggesting that's the only reason she's considering going vegan) so now I feel like over lent I need to point her in the way literature which might open up her eyes a bit. If then she still wants to eat cheese hopefully she won't say she "appreciates" it again.
also when I was talking to them yesterday and they were asking about what exactly a vega doesn't eat and I said hoeny as well another 'friend' who's a meat eater was in ear shot and he said "honey?" with a particular emphasis on it as though it's ridiculous to think of honey so I said "yes honey is an animal product as well" but he just had a blank expression on his face. I just wanted to launch into why exactly I don eat honey but I thougt against it.
Sorry this was so long but I feel annoyed about this....I definitly need to give them information about dairy, eggs and honey and why as A vegan I don't eat them.
I know I've mentioned the site before, but the PCRM site (http://www.pcrm.org (http://www.pcrm.org/)) has lots of scientific information on how bad dairy products are for your health. Dr. McDougall, who has written books on how vegan diets are the healthiest, also said if asked for health reasons what he would rather you give up (that you would only "quit" one thing), meat or dairy, he would strongly advocate giving up dairy!

Yogini
Mar 15th, 2006, 09:25 PM
"It's going to die eventually."

It's not so much that someone said this because I've heard it plenty. What blows my mind is that the person who said it this time was a vegetarian.

Wha...?:confused:

moochbabe
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:39 PM
"It's going to die eventually."

It's not so much that someone said this because I've heard it plenty. What blows my mind is that the person who said it this time was a vegetarian.

Wha...?:confused:
:eek:

luvzsunshine
Mar 16th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Daily Telegraph correspondant justifying vivisection in the run-up to the demo: "humans are conscious beings, animals are not" ...what a waste of an Oxford education on HER.

:eek: My jaw dropped to the floor when I read that. What is wrong with people:confused: :eek:

Jane M
Mar 16th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Not all humans are really conscious....are they?

eclectic_one
Mar 16th, 2006, 09:39 PM
No, not all human beings are conscious;) I just read an article in the most recent Psychology Today that I found somewhat encouraging and yet, at the same time, discouraging. It was discussing the findings of one neuroscientist that animals have a complex emotional life, feeling joy, love, grief, etc. Of course, some of the article's points were argued against by other neuroscientists who say that you can't tell what an animal is feeling, that this one neuroscientist is "stretching" to say such a thing. Anyway, I really was encouraged that now some in the "hard" science community are at least admitting that animals can feel such "complex" emotions. (Though that scientist did some really inhumane things to come to that conclusion.) Then the same scientist said that animals can feel it, but they don't remember it like humans:mad: I think that's full of crap! I know my dog remembers who he loves, as if he didn't "remember" love, he wouldn't love seeing my brother and his family when we see them! (Because my bro's family never feeds him and seldom sees him.) It seems like everytime science takes a step forward when it comes to animals, the scientists have to point out how they're still far from human in some way!

laurin
Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:17 PM
"If vegans don't eat meat or dairy, then why do they eat products that imitate it."

I've been asked that a few times now, and I've been a bit stumped over this question. :rolleyes:

eclectic_one
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:27 PM
That does seem a silly question, but I have a friend (who's not completely vegetarian even) who gets that sometimes. I think I would just say "because I am concerned with the animals' welfare and the imitation products do not harm animals." It sounds like the people asking you that assume that eating habits come solely from what tastes good:confused:

antman
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
"Do you believe that everything has a purpose?"
"Yeah, but how do you mean it?"
"Well, it's your purpose to find a wife and have kids, and it's the cows purpose to become a burger."

Trust me. She was completely serious.

"No, in that case, the cows purpose would be to mate and have calves."

PercysLion
Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:02 PM
It seems like everytime science takes a step forward when it comes to animals, the scientists have to point out how they're still far from human in some way!

This drives me crazy! People thrive on debasing "otherness." If the "other" is not, then I must be. If animals are below, then humans are above. It's the same mentality that one finds in sexism, racism, agism, etc. It's not OK to be different from the ones who fancy themselves in charge. :(

But, I got a silly meat eater question yesterday:
"Wait, do you just skip breakfast then?"
"No, I eat breakfast everyday."
"How is that possible, if you don't eat eggs?"

... I see your point ... what?!

eclectic_one
Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
This drives me crazy! People thrive on debasing "otherness." If the "other" is not, then I must be. If animals are below, then humans are above. It's the same mentality that one finds in sexism, racism, agism, etc. It's not OK to be different from the ones who fancy themselves in charge. :(
I know what you mean, I just posted a rant about an email I got from a relative about Muslims (post #205): http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266&page=9

Yoggy
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:01 PM

:eek: LOL! WOW, that's one of the dumbest questions I've ever heard!!!!!

luvzsunshine
Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:13 PM
But, I got a silly meat eater question yesterday:

That would be a ridiculous comment to make to anyone, vegan or omni:confused:

archaeopteryx
Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:54 PM
"If vegans don't eat meat or dairy, then why do they eat products that imitate it."

I've been asked that a few times now, and I've been a bit stumped over this question. :rolleyes:

How about, "Because they are better than the real thing."
& if they're not in blank denial by this stage you can tell them why.
It might be good to add that vegans don't HAVE to eat products that imitate meat/dairy/eggs but that it makes it easier for some people to make the transition to veganism.

antman
Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:34 PM
"Oh, I care about the compost my vegetables were grown in but I don't care about the slave trade."

A somewhat stupid statement made by a co-worker today...actually, he's said it before. Besides the fact that I don't care about compost, he actually seems to be suggesting that I'm a total bastard because I care about animals but make no effort to abolish slavery, help Africa, etc.

Not that you have any proof of that, but why should I be expected to care about everything just because I care about one certain idea? And, how does that make me worse than those of you who eat meat and do bugger all for humans either?

luvzsunshine
Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:13 PM
"Oh, I care about the compost my vegetables were grown in but I don't care about the slave trade."

A somewhat stupid statement made by a co-worker today...actually, he's said it before. Besides the fact that I don't care about compost, he actually seems to be suggesting that I'm a total bastard because I care about animals but make no effort to abolish slavery, help Africa, etc.

Not that you have any proof of that, but why should I be expected to care about everything just because I care about one certain idea? And, how does that make me worse than those of you who eat meat and do bugger all for humans either?

Is your co-worker doing anything about slavery? Probably not.
You are doing something to make a difference in what you believe in.

lozza
Mar 24th, 2006, 12:20 PM
"animals are bred to be eaten"

treehugga
Mar 25th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Yes I hate that one too! It's as bad as because we're at the top of the food chain we should be able to eat animals! More reason to stop all this intensive breeding. I usually throw the environment issues back at em.

lozza
Mar 25th, 2006, 08:41 PM
the way i'm feeling right now (not very positive at all), if a meat eater was to come along, and tell me the way i live my life is wrong, and animals are ours to eat, i'd probably say "yes you're right"

but i know, of course thats not true. but i dont feel very strong right now. i'd crumble if i were to be challenged.

treehugga
Mar 26th, 2006, 07:51 AM
the way i'm feeling right now (not very positive at all), if a meat eater was to come along, and tell me the way i live my life is wrong, and animals are ours to eat, i'd probably say "yes you're right"

but i know, of course thats not true. but i dont feel very strong right now. i'd crumble if i were to be challenged.

Oh dear Lozza, that's no good. Sometimes it's hard as we have a lot of people who don't think as we do or they do but don't care as much.

Sometimes the comments are hard to take and are so irrational they are frustrating.

When times are particularly bad I remind myself of why I don't partake in mistreatment of animals or come on this forum and ask for support.

People here are really good with advice and information. Particualarly with responses for those trying questions from meat eaters.

Pansypuss
Mar 26th, 2006, 11:06 AM
'You're eating all the cow's food'

Yogini
Mar 30th, 2006, 03:51 PM
OK, first some context. In a forum for mocking stupid people (not a vegan-oriented forum but where some vegans hang out) a vegan posted about her MIL insisting Parmesan cheese didn't have milk in it because it's lowfat. I respond that MIL must be one of the types that thinks all vegans are dietary vegans only concerned with their own health and if she really believes Parmesan is low-fat, it must, in her mind, be healthy and therefore vegan. I finish with "never mind that it's still a product of cow slavery."

Another member actually posted this in response to my response:

"Hm, I wonder what dairy cows would do if they were freed from the bonds of farm life. Pretty much the same thing, I think."

I won't even go into my and other vegan responses. I just wanted to point out that if this person wants to do cyber battle with vegans, she's going to have to do some research and come up with something way better than this.

Freckles
Mar 30th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I was hanging out in the math lab the other day with a few of my boyfriend's friends ... and one of them offered me a piece of chicken. My b/f told them that I was vegetarian, and one of the friends, a butcher's son, literally jumped from his chair and started bellowing - literally- 'I love meat! I love meat!' It was a bit scary, actually.
I was assaulted with a barage of 'Meat is good for you. It gives you protien!' statements, to which I replied ....

" Yeah, and artherosclerosis!" Heh heh heh.

It always suprises me how upset people get when you challenge their beliefs - even inadvertently. Why does it insult someone else the I don't eat meat!!?!?

There was one girl in the group who said that one of her friends was vegan. She said it with such a scornful tone that I didn't dare tone in that I was transitioning into veganism.... Why are people like that?