PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

treehugga
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:19 AM
Yes, I often get this reaction too and it is annoying. I actually find it rude and disrespectful when people respond in this way .

Yoggy
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:21 AM
Here's one I read the other day:

"Anything that tastes that good deserves to die"
:eek: :eek: :eek:

treehugga
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:32 AM
Oh God!

At gym last night we were discussing junk food in a class and I said that I was a vegan and the response from the instructor "Wow that's amazing how do you manage being a vegan?" Like I must be super human or something!!:eek:

Yoggy
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:42 AM
Oh God!

At gym last night we were discussing junk food in a class and I said that I was a vegan and the response from the instructor "Wow that's amazing how do you manage being a vegan?" Like I must be super human or something!!:eek:

LOL! "manage"! As if it's a condition that you have to cope with LOL :D

treehugga
Mar 31st, 2006, 01:44 AM
I know :D :D

Freckles
Mar 31st, 2006, 02:15 AM
Here's one I read the other day:

"Anything that tastes that good deserves to die"
:eek: :eek: :eek:

That sounds like something the 'I love MEAT!!' guy would say ....

antman
Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:19 PM
Anytime a non-vegan suggests that all vegan friendly food is inherently crap - this includes those times when they ask for a bite of my chocolate etc, eat it, hate it and conclude it's because it's vegan. Well, er, how about when you dislike non-vegan food that you try out?

TheFirstBus
Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
ahem I am saying it again because it happens so often. Now before I say this I know these people are not wondering about nutrition. They stare at you in shock and awe "how can you live like that!? I could never live without meat
!!"

Yoggy
Apr 11th, 2006, 09:00 PM
One of my roommates is really getting on my nerves. She's sometimes very judgemental of my lifestyle, but the sad thing is, she doesn't even realise it and thinks she's very open-minded! Her mom is a dietician, and when she told her I was vegan, her mom said (over msn), "Well I hope she takes a supplement, because that can be very unhealthy". Man, I can't even trust dieticians to know what's healthy!

But then there are lots of little things. We were in the health food store, and I found some agave nectar, and said that I'd love to buy some if it wasn't so expensive. When I mentioned it's a substitute for honey, she said "WHAT? You don't eat honey? That's stupid!".

And then there was the time in Jamba Juice when I ordered a wheatgrass shot, and she made this disgusted face and rude gagging noise when I was drinking it. I wanted to tell her to get lost if she didn't like the things I eat.

And she always looks repulsed whenever she sees me cut up tofu. It bothers me SO much, because she loves my oven fries, and vegan pizza with Follow Your Heart cheese and veggie pepperoni on top. It's like she's really tolerant of the aspects of veganism that resemble her "normal" lifestyle (like the pizza and fries), but when it comes to things that are new to her (like tofu, wheatgrass or agave nectar), she's suddenly very judgemental and sometimes downright rude.

Yogini
Apr 11th, 2006, 09:03 PM
"Well I hope she takes a supplement, because that can be very unhealthy". Man, I can't even trust dieticians to know what's healthy!

I really wish some dieticians wouldn't be such jackasses. My mother is a dietician, and a pretty old-school one at that. She was leery of my going vegan, but once she actually saw what I was eating, she was totally on board and says I'm probably the healthiest person in our family.

antman
Apr 20th, 2006, 11:06 PM
At work this morning I was having a quick drink before we started when my team leader asked me what it was. Quick as a flash a colleague replied "some vegan sh*t."

I looked.

Ah, yes. A fruit juice.

Pansypuss
Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
I just read this on a OU chat room,
'i work for a farm animal welfare charity and some people believe we are a bunch of 'veggie freaks!' but we do not say stop eating meat because if we did there would be no lambs or cows all we say is 'better treatment.. ' for animals.':mad:
I thought about responding but decided that I'd get so much flack as the majority are probably omnis that I would just get upset.

SaveTheAnimals
Apr 25th, 2006, 01:49 AM
"They are just animals, they don't matter"

That is the worst argument any of them ever give.

luvzsunshine
Apr 25th, 2006, 05:28 PM
"They are just animals, they don't matter"

That is the worst argument any of them ever give.

That one gets me so angry :mad:

treehugga
Apr 26th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I just read this on a OU chat room,
'i work for a farm animal welfare charity and some people believe we are a bunch of 'veggie freaks!' but we do not say stop eating meat because if we did there would be no lambs or cows all we say is 'better treatment.. ' for animals.':mad:
I thought about responding but decided that I'd get so much flack as the majority are probably omnis that I would just get upset.

I reckon I'd risk the flack!

anneoranna
May 5th, 2006, 03:05 AM
Hello! I may be off subject but the thread said "ignorant comments from meat eaters" and I have one all right.

Recently, my husband took my little 2 ½ to the doctors for his annual and met up w/ a nurse practitioner whom we met only a couple of times before. Every time my husband takes my son to the Doctor he always end up having that Nurse practitioner instead of the usual doctors, and every time he comes home from the visit…he tells me some dumb things that woman would say.

a few wks ago she made one that really had my blood boiling. She recommended to my husband that “Vegetarian Diet” wasn’t good for kids. Having to deal with a screaming and squirming toddler he was in no mood to give her a piece of his mind. After coming home that day I heard about her ignorant remark and was in flames…Speaking of ignorant huh? It’s unbelievable how these people can have a job.

treehugga
May 5th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Yes imagine feeding your child all those fruits and veg! What a terror you are! :D

It is frustrating. Perhaps that nurse would have preferred it if she had been told your child lived on meat pies and KFC :rolleyes: .

It's amazing how many of us have such healthy dynamic kids on this diet.

I wonder how she figures the many vegetarian cultures of the world do so well? Stupid ignorant woman! :confused:

LittleNellColumbia
May 10th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I was having a chat with my mum the other day about chickens. But i was sort of stumped. I was telling her about the cruelty involved in chicken farms and how most free-range was a load of bullshit. We got to talking about what an egg really is (chicken periods) and why would she want to eat it anyway, even if she didnt accept the fact that farms were cuel. After her simply saying "i enjoy them" i then said, when they "menstate" they leech calcium and other nutrients and need to eat their eggshells afterwards to replenish. She then said, "when i have chicken of my own, i give them back the eggshells"

ok, that was where i got stumped. I had nothing else to say. What else can you say to somebody who ignores cruelty and who seems not to care about the negative health impacts or moral issues?

this baffles me no-end.

Hemlock
May 10th, 2006, 02:29 PM
At work this morning I was having a quick drink before we started when my team leader asked me what it was. Quick as a flash a colleague replied "some vegan sh*t."

I looked.

Ah, yes. A fruit juice.

A fruit juice:eek: You weirdo, too weird even for this forum:D

DancingWillow
May 10th, 2006, 07:51 PM
A fruit juice:eek: You weirdo, too weird even for this forum:D

I was once at a fast food place, and I was trying to figure out what I could eat. I explained to the woman behind the counter what vegan meant and started asking about various items on the menu... after I ordered some vegetarian chili (which happened to be vegan), she asked me if I wanted something to drink, and then added "You can have water, that's vegan." What a smart a**. :mad:

Christie
May 21st, 2006, 09:32 PM
I get so annoyed with people these days because they just don't seem to understand! Or want to understand. Im a new vegan and am finding it really hard to explain why I turned to being vegan. My family has accepted it fine. My mum was a little worried at first, because she thought it would be unhealthy, but when I told her that I wouldnt be, she was fine, but why cant everyone be like that?

I don't want to push my opinions on people but in some ways I do! I want people to be able to think like me, and realise that they are wrong! Like today I was trying to explain to somebody how I am so much healthier now that I am vegan, and all I got in reply was:

""Not true, just lies that are spread by that religious like cult called vegans...People are Omnivors!!! Can't change that....But, I won't try to change you..Just follow your instincts , not your heart strings....they are easily pulled by cults..You are what you eat and you are eating so much pesticides that it is not funny....I catch my own fish to eat. I eat wild raised chickens and dogs have had no hormone treatments"

I dont understand how just because you are eating fish you caught yourself or wild raised chickens makes it better. And then I just look at my dog (whos asleep next to me) and think how the hell could someone eat a dog!!!!

mememe
May 22nd, 2006, 10:15 AM
I was having a chat with my mum the other day about chickens. But i was sort of stumped. I was telling her about the cruelty involved in chicken farms and how most free-range was a load of bullshit. We got to talking about what an egg really is (chicken periods) and why would she want to eat it anyway, even if she didnt accept the fact that farms were cuel. After her simply saying "i enjoy them" i then said, when they "menstate" they leech calcium and other nutrients and need to eat their eggshells afterwards to replenish. She then said, "when i have chicken of my own, i give them back the eggshells"

ok, that was where i got stumped. I had nothing else to say. What else can you say to somebody who ignores cruelty and who seems not to care about the negative health impacts or moral issues?

this baffles me no-end.

I was similarly baffled by friends and colleagues etc who would make stupid remarks and then I worked out that they haven't got any real satisfactory response to us, because there IS no answer other than 'I don't care, I don't care about my health, I don't care about the animals and the cruelty.' So they come out with stupid comments that just reinforce their stupidity.
Now, I wasn't born vegan, so it took me some time to work things out for myself, but I am sure had I been informed by someone sooner, I wouldn't have reacted with stupidity or get my back up, you know? I WISH someone had started making me think before I had to work it out myself.

mememe
May 22nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
I really wish some dieticians wouldn't be such jackasses. My mother is a dietician, and a pretty old-school one at that. She was leery of my going vegan, but once she actually saw what I was eating, she was totally on board and says I'm probably the healthiest person in our family.
Agreed. My mother isn't a dietician but was brought up with the typical
western 'meat is essential, you need dairy' mentality. so me going vegan seemed worrying to her. However, she now sees how healthy I am, more than my siblings, and knows I eat the most healthyly out of everyone she knows. Mind you, it still isn't enough to convince her to make the switch.

tabitha
May 22nd, 2006, 10:33 AM
This was from a nurse - "But you can still eat fruit?" :confused: wtf?!

TofuFooYung
May 22nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
It's funny how people dismiss veggie food as tasteless, worthless rabbit food...

Perhaps we should run bets with them. For a fortnight or a month they have to eat their meat and dairy... and nothing else. After all, to them, veg*n food sucks, right?

Can you even imagine how sickening it would be for even the most barbarian of meat lovers, to wake up and for breakfast eat sausages and eggs, for lunch, a chicken breast and more eggs washed down with a glass of milk, for dinner, a steak. How seriously ill would someone would become?

How quick people forget the grains in the bread they eat, the vegetables in their meals, the fruit in their drinks.

Yeah, we veggies are so lame :rolleyes: