PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Monday
Jun 21st, 2006, 02:55 PM
Today the gas board came out to change my meter. To get to it, the engineer had to remove a bag of dog food (we keep a lot of our pet food under the stairs). As he was finishing up he said "oooh vegetarian dog food". I said yes and he said why and then without a break said I'm sure they would much prefer a big steak. I said that actually they like carrots best. he said that his dogs also liked carrot and apple but then went on to say "But in the long run they would much prefer a juicy piece of meat" and then said goodbye.

I was left feeling a little shaky cos I was cross - I did not ask for his opinion and was not able to put my view across - not that he would have listened anyway. It really annoyed me. I didn't ask for his opinion and isn't it obvious that I don't want to hear about big juicy meat pieces if i'm feeding my dogs a vegetarian diet???!!!!!

Aaaaargh!

Monday xx

Jamie
Jun 21st, 2006, 08:48 PM
Sorry to go off the subject but Jamie is that your hamster in the picture?

nooo I 'borrowed' Hammy the Hamster from www.cuteoverload.com (http://www.cuteoverload.com) :o

Christie
Jun 21st, 2006, 10:19 PM
Urgh was talking to a friend today and he said that being vegan was placing a lesser being above yourself. Then he actually said that if he knew that a "human burger" tasted nice he eat those to!! :eek: There should be a being sick smiley!!

tilly
Jun 21st, 2006, 10:58 PM
There should be a being sick smiley!!

Totally!
There's a real need for them on this thread... ;)

Sammy
Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:02 AM
I've had so many silly comments from meat eating people, it would be impossible to list them, but one that always sticks in my mind is this.
One day a few years ago, my neighbour came in with a beef stew she had just made, she told me that I could eat it, as she had taken out the lumps of meat!! That says it all I think. :eek:

Christie
Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:55 AM
My mum the other day in a half hinting way goes "Ive heard that some people are vegan a home and not vegan when they go out, so i guess they are half sticking to their principles" Haha yea sure mum. Shes worried as we are going on holiday and she wants to eat out everyday. I said is fine and ill get salads and chips and things. As she likes pub resaurants which hardly have vegetarian never mind vegan!

Haniska
Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:07 AM
My dad assumed that I would eat meat when we visited my brother. When I asked why he would think such a thing he said "When in Rome.....?"

eclectic_one
Jun 26th, 2006, 11:38 PM
So I've had a couple of meat eaters (especially my dad) who know I try to eat healthy ask me if I had to choose something with an animal product in it or a product with some unhealthy non-animal product (like high fructose corn syrup or some transfats), which I would choose. I didn't even have to ponder, as I said, "the unhealthy non-animal product." They seem shocked:rolleyes:

Haniska
Jun 27th, 2006, 05:07 AM
I was talking to my friend online the other night about how I was searching the web for new lube (we have known each other since grade school and are very close) I told him that mine has lactic acid in it which is possibly from muscles. He said "well... isn't that natural?"

Jamie
Jun 27th, 2006, 10:19 AM
So I've had a couple of meat eaters (especially my dad) who know I try to eat healthy ask me if I had to choose something with an animal product in it or a product with some unhealthy non-animal product (like high fructose corn syrup or some transfats), which I would choose. I didn't even have to ponder, as I said, "the unhealthy non-animal product." They seem shocked:rolleyes:

I would consider pretty much ANY animal product to be an unhealthy option! :eek: Except maybe honey, but I'm not into stealing :cool:

Jamie
Jun 27th, 2006, 10:22 AM
I was talking to my friend online the other night about how I was searching the web for new lube (we have known each other since grade school and are very close) I told him that mine has lactic acid in it which is possibly from muscles. He said "well... isn't that natural?"

Gosh I wouldn't have even thought about lube! :eek: do you know what brands are ok? I think what we normally use is KY gel (don't normally pay much attention to the label when using it, IYKWIM!!).

Speaking of that, and going completely off topic, I need to go look on the forum for details of condomi condoms, which seem to have dissapeared from my town - I had seen them in loads of stores but when I go to actually buy some, there aren't sold anywhere! :o

eclectic_one
Jun 27th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I would consider pretty much ANY animal product to be an unhealthy option! :eek: Except maybe honey, but I'm not into stealing :cool:
I too would consider anything with an animal product unhealthy, but some processed non-animal products are perhaps more so. I wouldn't eat any animal product though if I had a choice:)

antman
Jun 28th, 2006, 05:13 PM
"Dave here is a vegan."
"Aww, bless."

Aww, bless?? Bloody hell :rolleyes:

Cherry
Jun 28th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Well I guess it could be worse, Antman. Least you know the truth (that you're rock 'ard ;) )

tilly
Jun 28th, 2006, 06:05 PM
:D Lol, you'll be telling us that girls even think you're kind and sensitive next! ;)

Hetfield
Jun 29th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I was at a restaurant with a good freind of mine who has been really interested in my turning vegan but has NOOOOOO clue what it entails even tho i have tried to explain - we were looking through the menu and she suggested I have the garlic bread. I was just about to explain that it probably was made with butter when she said - oh no ofcourse, you can't have garlic.....

She also bought me a vegan cook book which was really thoughtful but she couldn't believe how many pages it had - she was expecting a book with half a dozen pages...........

Am cooking lunch for her next week so will try to educate her a bit further....;)

bye for now
hetfield

fiamma
Jun 29th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I was just about to explain that it probably was made with butter when she said - oh no ofcourse, you can't have garlic.....

:D hehehe that's funny :D

Haniska
Jun 30th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Did you ask her to explain herself? I see a lot of mention in vegetarian books about certain religions (such as the Jain) who do not eat garlic or onions.

Hetfield
Jun 30th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Hi Haniska,

No she really doesn't know what vegan means and wouldn't have heard of Jain or any other religion who don't eat garlic or onions. What is really cool is that although she knows absolutely nothing about veganism she is the only one of my friends who has asked about it at all and she seems to be very interested.:)
Have a good day
Hetfield

sugarmouse
Jun 30th, 2006, 09:13 AM
lol some ppl jus seem so stupid cos its so common sense to me!
my mother tells ppl i am vegan, and eat no chemicals.:rolleyes: im not even going to try to get her to explain that one.

Haniska
Jun 30th, 2006, 05:56 PM
HAHA! My fiance's mother used to think I ate no fat. Till I made a point to tell her the tofurky brats I just ate had so much fat that they made me a bit nauseous.

Jamie
Jun 30th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I just don't understand how other people can't understand what it's about and get so confused. How hard it is to remember 'no animal products'?! How can you confuse that with garlic or fat?? If you are really that forgetful/confused, how do you manage to get through life???!!

I understand that other people might think it strange or weird, whatever, I just don't understand how some of the mistakes people mentioned on this thread can make!! Unless they are geriatrics, they are excused!

Haniska
Jun 30th, 2006, 09:48 PM
To me the fat thing falls in with people thinking that I have some extreme diet to be so "thin" 125 lbs and 5' 5 LMAO. I think his mum either thought that I did eat non-fat products, she didn't think of it, she assumed that even non-fat products have some fat, or that I am [stupid and] on some extreme diet that is like "No animal products EVER. SOME of them have fat in them!"
Speaking of which, it bugs me when soy milks compare themselves to whole milk. "Half the fat of WHOLE MILK!" If fat was really the average consumer's reason for drinking soy milk they'd probably drink 1% cow's milk instead. I think it is great that they show that they have iron and fiber etc, but the fat thing is annoying.
The garlic thing is hard to fathom, maybe they assume savory foods are off-limits?

Jamie
Jul 1st, 2006, 09:26 AM
Speaking of which, it bugs me when soy milks compare themselves to whole milk. "Half the fat of WHOLE MILK!" If fat was really the average consumer's reason for drinking soy milk they'd probably drink 1% cow's milk instead. I think it is great that they show that they have iron and fiber etc, but the fat thing is annoying.

Well if they only sold to vegans, they probably would cost a lot more! I guess it's just things they can think of to put on the box to make it look like an attractive buy? That does sound a little strange thing though, when soy milk has other powers like reducing cholesterol. Maybe they just had a space on the box to fill and thought that sounded good??! :)

veganbuzzcock
Jul 1st, 2006, 09:39 AM
last night, my friend said chickens were made to be eaten.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!