PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Enchantress
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:09 AM
It was a letter from a reader, not an article in the magazine.

Roxy
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:37 AM
What goes around, comes around. And I just deleted everything else that I typed about that Nicola Bloomfield, because it wasn't very nice. Poor little thing - that she feels so intimidated by us veggie munchers.

Jamie
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:15 PM
what amazes me is that someone would actually care enough to take the time to write into a magazine about something so inane...!! A new magazine about veggie lifestyle - how offensive! I can't bear it, I must write in to voice my disgust. Not to the offensive magazine mind you, to the one that mentioned it existed. :rolleyes:

Pilaf
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Yeah..it's bad enough she has to put up with us, pompous as we are...

Although I'll admit I haven't been very pompous with anyone about it, or even went out of my way to discuss it with anyone who didn't ask, as I'm sure most of you have also not done..but we're all pompous and evil to the bone!

How dare we try to take away meat..think of the children! :D

Tigerlily
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:43 PM
maybe not stupid, just completely ignorant. Or just a bunch of arseholes!! ;)

Or just don't give a shit. If I was a waitress making minimum wage and having to deal with customers that make my work more difficult, I certainly wouldn't give a shit.

Limey
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:48 PM
The other day I went out to eat on my lunch break with a friend/co-worker and I sorta "had" to tell her that I'm limited in where I can go, since I don't eat meat/dairy/eggs, etc. Anymore. I didn't go off on this whole tangent about veganism or anything. I made it as simple, but straightforward as I could. So later on when we were trying to think of a place, she said something like "Oh yeah, we can't just go anywhere because you're a picky eater now", making it sound like I was some kind of whiny, crybaby, picky eater. :rolleyes: I just ignored her. There are some people who I don't even care to explain it to. Just let me live my life, thanks.

tilly
Jul 9th, 2006, 04:50 PM
And it was the STAR LETTER! :mad: :eek: :mad:

:confused: Why oh why?

I agree, won't somebody please think of the children?!?! :rolleyes:

sarahblue
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I love my mom dearly, but she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I thought my cousin Lola was a vegan, but my mom informed me that she saw her eating shrimp at the last family get-together. So I said, "Oh, she's not even vegetarian then." And my mom said "What do you mean? Shrimp aren't animals."

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

"What are they mom, plants?"

"Well, I don't know about that."

:rolleyes:

herbwormwood
Jul 10th, 2006, 09:59 AM
sometimes magazines publish slightly inflammatory letters they receive in order to get a reaction, and increase the number of people writing in to their letters page. I imagine this was the case here. On the whole the Big Issue is a right on magazine but it has a very mixed readership.

Shadowsoul
Jul 12th, 2006, 03:00 AM
MEAT AND NO VEG
So now the bean freak, celery-chomping, veggie brigade have got their own 'lifestyle' magazine? (Vegetarian options, Big Issue 511). Isn't it enough that we have to put up with these pompous, patronising hypocrites - how many of them wear leather and eat fish? - lecturing us at every opportunity for 'murdering' animals as we tuck into our meals, and slathering over beauty products tested on the little darlings?
I'd be suspicious of anyone who'd even eat, let alone want to cook, Crackling Rice-Paper parcels with Hoisim Tofu Australia. So I'd like to invite any carnivores out there who'd like to contribute to my new magazine, Bloody, Dripping and Damn Tasty, to get in touch via the Big Issue.
NICOLA BLOOMFIELD

"pompous, patronising hypocrites"? She's not even being definitive. If you eat fish, you're not vegan, and as for me, I don't wear leather and fur, so she needs to brush up her definition of what veganism/vegetarian means. I didn't know that acting on your values has been deemed hypocrisy.

"Bloody, Dripping and Damn Tasty", I bet when she succumbed to extreme hunger (and armed with that clever ideology), her own kids' loin and thigh are bloody tasty for her as well. Cannibalism in civilized fashion is truly barbaric. I hope she grows up.

Tigerlily
Jul 12th, 2006, 03:09 AM
"Splenda is all natural!"

veganblue
Jul 12th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Today a former vegan said to me '' I don't care about chickens; they are like insects to me''.

I am stunned. Having had friendships with chooks over a decade in my life (Cluck was 6 or 8 when she passed on) that statement totally threw me. I am going to look up some information on the sentience of chooks but I am losing hope.

This latest comment has made me so angry that I don't want to speak to him for fear of lashing out. I live with this individual and we have/had been good friends over the last nine years. He once was vegan, but his heartlessness over a number of things has completely alienated me.

I am starting to think that he is stupid where once I used to have a very high regard. Now he is just turning into a self-centred prick.

I am furious. I didn't know where to turn. :(

fiamma
Jul 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Do you know why he said that to you? Was his intention to provoke you? Maybe you could ask him why he said it - that could give you a good insight into where you want to take your friendship with this person. I don't think you should break off your friendship for a thoughtless remark, but if this is a pattern of behaviour that's a different matter. Friendships are built on mutual respect, and while you can agree to disagree, if he has no respect for your views and goes out of his way to provoke you then he's not worth spending time on in my opinion.
PETA has some good info on the lives of chickens, maybe you could show that to him. If that doesn't work... I don't really suffer fools gladly, I'm not always the most diplomatic person. Or smile and be graceful. Or move out. Or put some chickens in his bed. Or cockroaches...

Jamie
Jul 12th, 2006, 11:46 AM
awww I wouldn't bother looking up any info for him - he's ovbiously just a complete and utter ****! :(

It's a shame to lose your friendship but I think if someone has these principles to animals then they might not have very good ones to other people either. Perhaps it's just time to look at it as a friendship past and just consider him some stranger you live with. Is there any way you can not live with him?

I used to have 'pet' chooks when a teen - I know what you mean - they are wonderful beings. Ours used to be quite domesticated and follow us around and they used to sit on my bedroom windowsill every morning and sing me awake! OK so not very nice singing but I'm still touched by the thought :) Knowing them is probably part of what made me not like eggs - they are supposed to be their babies, not something we cause to be barren and then take away for eating. :(

Jamie
Jul 12th, 2006, 11:48 AM
fiamma, last bit = not very vegan of you! ;) the poor cockroaches having to share a bed with a tosser like that! :( I think something that isn't alive would be better. like poo. :p

fiamma
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:00 PM
fiamma, last bit = not very vegan of you! ;) the poor cockroaches having to share a bed with a tosser like that! :( I think something that isn't alive would be better. like poo. :p

Jamie you're right *covers face in shame* It's just that people like that make me see red :mad:

sandra
Jul 12th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Ha! Ha!, or itchy powder!
Seriously though veganblue, it must be like a betrayal in a way for you, you thought you knew this person and they turned out to be someone completely different. Do you think he is deliberately trying to provoke you? Could there be something behind his heartless attitude?

Ribbon
Jul 12th, 2006, 09:47 PM
These may have been said before but im afraid reading the whole 26 pages of this thread is a bit beyond me right now!

On the phone to my sister tonight:

(about milk) "it's gotta be more natural then what you eat"

(on veganism being healthy and natural) "yea but ALL that research is done by vegans"

Her:"Even vegans have to feed their babies [cows] milk!"
Me: Why?
Her: Hmm well it's certainly very dodgy not to before they're 2.

Honestly these comments really got to me! How on earth is cow breastmilk natural???and why on earth would a vegan give their baby cows milk (if they're bringing the baby up vegan)?I just think noone in my family sees things the way i do at all *sigh*

luvzsunshine
Jul 12th, 2006, 10:05 PM
My ex after reading where the elk were raised off of package of elk jerky he was eating:

"See, they were raised for it. At least they aren't using the elk in the wild."

Unbelievable! Turns my stomach!

veganblue
Jul 13th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Fiamma - I am not sure why he said it - he's been... provocative in a way recently. I can't talk with him about *anything* without it verging towards an argument within a few minutes. It's like he is trying to be difficult or obtuse - and I lose interest in talking to him anymore.

It's making the friendship... strained. At least with people that are only aquaintances you can maintain a light polite relationship, but with people you have known deeply for a long time - it's awkward.

Jamie - I am still seriously cranky about it but it has simmered into a hard resolve to educate. When people say really really stupid things - it's probably better to not force them to defend them - otherwise it harder to have a change of position later.

I hate having friendships dissolve - it has happened only twice and it takes a long time to repair. One was broken completely but the other is under repair.

Prevention is better - and who knows - he is hard enough to be willing to watch some of my ''welfare'' videos. Got him off red meats, ......

...chicken and fish might be a bit harder - but he has the capacity to care in him from the past - it's just a matter of waking it up again. ;)

Heh - Sandra - I think that he *is* trying to provoke me - buuut I don't think he really knows why...

Jamie
Jul 13th, 2006, 05:25 PM
maybe he fancies you! :o

fiamma
Jul 13th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Probably the best idea is to limit converation to pleasantries. Short and sweet! Shame to lose a long-term friend tho'. What a shame.

sandra
Jul 13th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Perhaps he sees things in you that he lacks, he might be envious of you. I know this doesn't help your situation but it might go someway to explaining his attitude if he is.

mandycoot
Jul 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I actually got the "chickens were made to be eaten" thing today. I was so depressed--I'd never met anyone that ignorant before.

Keenkitty
Jul 13th, 2006, 07:17 PM
They say offense is the best defense. Change scares people they don't want to think they have been polluting their bodies this entire time.

Today one of my co-workers commented (after eating hotdogs, coleslaw, and potato salad and then throwing the plates in MY TRASH) that my vegan Miso Hot and Sour soup "Smelled like ass"

She is CONSTANTLY saying my food stinks then asking for favors. UGH what a person.

:eek: