PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

sandra
Oct 27th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I think it would work Jamie, I only use it in coffee I'm afraid, but it is lovely and I don't find it bitter in coffee, hopefully it would be fine in potato gratin. I might have a go at that myself, I used to love potato gratin! Have you a good recipe for it?

erynSky
Oct 28th, 2006, 09:44 PM
The classic comment, to me, is the fish one.

How do people not understand that a fish is an animal??? Some people have even said to my boyfriend that fish aren't animals! :eek:

Chocs4me
Oct 28th, 2006, 10:45 PM
My mother - 'chicken, fish and meat sandwich slices arent really meat and anyway God meant us to eat the animals' :rolleyes: *sigh*

howdawg
Oct 28th, 2006, 11:18 PM
The classic comment, to me, is the fish one.

How do people not understand that a fish is an animal??? Some people have even said to my boyfriend that fish aren't animals! :eek:

"I always considered them more like vegetables" says the omni :(

Pansypuss
Oct 29th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Oatly cream is good for all I find. The meal last night was brilliant. My friends had really pulled all stops out. We had horses durves of stuffed mushrooms, then half a globe artichoke for starter. The pasta was vegan:), my sauce was good, the salad and foccacia lovely and we finished off with choc (plamil)fondue. They even bought vegan marg to cook with. I felt honoured as I was the only vegan out of eight. I didn't get any 'silly/ignorant comments' and didn't have to explain my reasons for trying to be vegan. The only bit that they really couldn't get was bees and honey and I did my best to explain though I could see the shutters coming down. I copped out a bit when asked if I ate honey by saying I didn't like it. Sometimes it is just easier to settle for the easy option. I sometimes feel like telling people that I am vegetarian and allergic to all dairy and eggs and can't stand honey. They'd probably say 'well at least you can eat fish'!

eclectic_one
Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
My dad keeps insisting that cholesterol levels in the body has nothing to do with diet. His cholesterol went down when my mom was fixing better foods (for almost a year, she only fixed vegetarian fare except on rare occasions--though they still ate out non-veg), but he credits his meds--even though he was on them way b4 the diet change:mad: For a couple months after seeing a dietician, he changed his diet (ignoring that I had been telling him the same thing for months), but now he's gone back to the "food has nothing to do with it" argument:rolleyes:

Yogini
Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:18 PM
Is your dad on Lipitor's payroll?:D

When I was diagnosed with (very high) cholesterol, my family members all told me that it runs in the family and there's nothing to be done but take the pills. This was usually said between huge mouthfuls of bacon cheeseburger. I went vegan and my cholesterol dropped over 120 points in 10 months.

That only thing that runs in my family is an overfondness of steak and eggs.:mad:

Tigerlily
Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:22 PM
My family has high cholesterol too. Once my overweight uncle who probably has very high cholesterol levels made fun of my veganism to point of crying. :( :mad: He can be an asshole in general but I was very hurt. I didn't cry in front of him but when I went home.

eclectic_one
Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
OMG...that sucks!!!!! My parents are not pushy about trying to make me stop being vegan, though my mom does occasionally say stuff like, "I didn't think you wouldn't eat honey" or other statements similar to that. My family seems to think I'm a bit extreme and get annoyed if I point out (after they say something) the unhealthy or unethical way they eat, but they haven't really made fun of me. I certainly hope you know that he's the one with a problem, NOT you!

eclectic_one
Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:59 PM
Is your dad on Lipitor's payroll?:D

When I was diagnosed with (very high) cholesterol, my family members all told me that it runs in the family and there's nothing to be done but take the pills. This was usually said between huge mouthfuls of bacon cheeseburger. I went vegan and my cholesterol dropped over 120 points in 10 months.

That only thing that runs in my family is an overfondness of steak and eggs.:mad:
No, he's not on the payroll, but he probably could be...though I think it would be Zetia that he'd extol the virtues of (Lipitor, I believe, made him have muscle pains);) I think most Americans think surgery or pills are the only option for ANY health problem, that diet has nothing to do with it. 120 points is awesome and I bet most doctors would tell you it's impossible...one of my coworkers was told that the most diet could affect cholesterol is 20%:mad:

hollybee
Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=Yogini;249549] I went vegan and my cholesterol dropped over 120 points in 10 months.
QUOTE]

Same here. My cholesterol was 246 one year ago. Within 6 months of going vegan, it was down to 151.

howdawg
Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:28 PM
..... and... diet has.... NOTHING ..... to do with it!!!! lol!

hollybee
Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:56 AM
And I didn't lose 46 pounds because I stopped stuffing my face with sausage and cheese.....that was just a COINCIDENCE!!!:rolleyes:

DancingWillow
Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:58 AM
I was just talking to my mom on the phone and she was talking about vitamins, and she asked me "So you are taking your vitamins, right?" and I said, "actually, i don't take any vitamins; i just try to eat healthy," and she sighed and replied, "I'm watching you ruin your health in front of my eyes." That comment aggravated me, so I tried to give her some facts about vitamins, but she knows her thing and won't listen to me...

Jamie
Nov 3rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
arrrrrgh!! DW how fustrating! I bet you have a better dietry vit intake than her! :o

eclectic_one
Nov 3rd, 2006, 05:19 PM
I have to admit I do take vitamins, but I have since even before I was vegan. I do believe you can eat healthy and get them all, but I don't trust that I do regularly...especially with calcium, iron, and B12. My blood work showed that my iron and B12 are fine...they didn't really check calcium.

Yoggy
Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:35 PM
I try to take my vitamins too. Of course I know that it's very possible to get all the vitamins you need from a vegan diet, but I'm just too lazy with my diet to make sure I'm getting all the right nutrients :o .

Last spring I was living with a girl whose mother is a dietician, so she thought she knew everything about nutrition. She said to me one day, "I told my mom that you're vegan, and she said, 'I hope she takes vitamins, or she'll be really unhealthy'". I got angry, because her mother has never met me, and has no idea about my eating habits, but just automatically assumed that because I'm vegan, my diet is unhealthy. Meanwhile, her daughter (my roommate) ate nothing but crap, had 2 desserts after every lunch (store-bought cookies that she dipped in chocolate pudding!), and had the nerve to tell me that MY diet was unhealthy! :mad:

DancingWillow
Nov 4th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Thanks Jamie, yeah, it was frustrating

Eclectic and Yoggy, there's nothing wrong with taking vitamins, I just meant that not taking them doesn't mean that I'm "ruining my health." ;)

Yoggy, how ironic about your roommate's mom. I think frequently people don't step back and see the situation objectively, so they are blind to the ridiculousness and irony of their comments.

Yogini
Nov 4th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Last spring I was living with a girl whose mother is a dietician, so she thought she knew everything about nutrition. She said to me one day, "I told my mom that you're vegan, and she said, 'I hope she takes vitamins, or she'll be really unhealthy'".

My mom is a dietitian and she has no problem whatsoever with the way I eat.

Annie
Nov 4th, 2006, 04:29 PM
This isn't really something a meat eater SAID but something that annoys me...

I remember a friend asking me why I don't eat dairy (she wanted to dirty details). So I told her and while I'm talking to her about all this she's grabbing a bagel and cream cheese. She just nods and goes "Aw, yeah...ok" and then just chows down on the bagel and cream cheese.

I don't know why but I just wanted to walk away it made me so angry ><

treehugga
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:21 AM
We recently had the melbourne Cup horse race and everyone at work was having bets. When asked I declined. I was asked why and I replied 'I don't want to to bet thankyou.' I was asked 'are you against gambling?' I said no, it was to do with animal rights. Boy did I cop it. I was told: the horses get treated better than people. When I said what about the ones that lose, that end up as slaughtered meat. I was told that isn't true and if it is it isn't many and a whole group (5) of my co workers started going on and on at me about it like I was an idiot. It hurt me so much, that later when I got home I cried my eyes out. One brave worker said she wouldn't bet either to support me which was wonderful. The weird thing is - if I was religious in some way - they would all go out of their way to accomodate that and not offend.

Jamie
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:37 AM
that's horrible treehugga :( Do you think you can show them any evidence or just ask them to look it up on the internet or something, or is it best to just try to draw a line under it and move on?

sandra
Nov 9th, 2006, 11:03 AM
That must have been awful for you treehugga. I was watching our local news at the weekend and then the sports news came on, it was a horse race. The camera focussed on the two leading horses, they were being whipped repeatedly and then in the background one of the horses fell at a jump. I watched horrified as the poor horse got up and then a couple of seconds later collapsed. The commentator never even mentioned the horse who fell, all they cared about was who was going to win the race!
That really upset me and I cried for those horses being treated like that. I wonder if the people who were giving you such a hard time at work would still think as they do if they knew the reality of horse racing?
I hope you feel better now treehugga, and don't let them get you down.:)

Annie
Nov 9th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Last night at dinner I was eating a vegan meal the chef prepared me on campus and for some reason the topic came up about how "tastey" cows are. One of the girls at the table was like...

"What use would cows and pigs and chickens be to us if we didn't eat them?"

So...what? Every animal was put on eart to be of use to US? Grr it made me so angry but I just held my tongue and finished my meal.

Yoggy
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Wow Annie, that's one of the most ignorant comments I've ever heard! Too bad it's so common that people think like that. I'm atheist, but I heard that in the bible it says "Man shall have dominion over the animals". So people believe it, that all animals exist just for us!

Treehugga, that was really awful what happened to you at work. It's funny: if people object to something based on religion, no one makes fun of them, even though their religion is usually based on things that they believe simply because they were told to. But if people object to something based on beliefs that they arrived at by thinking independently, they're ridiculed! It really sickens me how ignorant people choose to be.