PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

howdawg
Nov 24th, 2006, 06:22 PM
philfox: Did you get on there and make some noise???

philfox
Nov 24th, 2006, 06:51 PM
i made a bit of noise, its mainly kids so i didnt go guns ablazing, but i made the comment about pescatarians and i made the lengthy post recommending redwoods roast dinner

i just love the 'if you stop eating meat you will die' comments, and you so need to see a doctor. it goes to show how much kids have been terrified by the meat and dairy industries. i mean i am no means healthy, too many crisps, beer, and er crisps :D but i'm not dead from not eating meat, i know the worst things in my diet are the processed nasties (why is it easier for me to cut out stuff for animals but not my health?)

(must grab egg, i am dieing from egg deficiency, they are just like meat you know, and nothing dies :rolleyes: )

edited to add another gem from the same thread:

I'm part veggie, so I'm careful about what is in certain foods. The only meat that I really eat are beef, fish, chicken, turkey. That's it. My brother is the same thing. We have been picked on a couple of times because of that, but other people have no say in what my brother and I do.

Good luck on trying to find some tasty veggie dishes for Christmas. I'm sure that you will find something that is going to be non-meat and tasty =)

HappyVegan
Nov 24th, 2006, 10:43 PM
They get picked on because the only meat they eat is beef, fish, chicken & turkey? That only leaves pork & some of the more "exotic" meats that most people hunt themselves. Some people crack me up lol.

Yogini
Nov 24th, 2006, 10:51 PM
"The only meat that I really eat are beef, fish, chicken, turkey."

Buh?????

flutterby
Nov 25th, 2006, 12:37 PM
The posts about eating meat and the bible can now be found in the 'Christianity and vegetarianism' thread, see http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266 :)

howdawg
Nov 25th, 2006, 06:47 PM
but I wasn't speaking about Christianity

sandra
Nov 25th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I think it was because we started to bring religion (of any kind) into it Howdawg. :)

focus
Nov 25th, 2006, 09:07 PM
My husband was in a check out line today, wearing one of his vegan shirts, when a biker asked him if he's a vegan. My husband said yes. The guy proceeded to ask him how many pieces of cotton had to die to make the shirt. My husband spun around and asked him how many cows had to die to make his goofy looking outfit. The guy backed down and said nothing more. My husband usually ignores stupid comments but this guy got to him for some reason.

Why do some people feel they have to be rude to compensate for being morally bankrupt? WTF?

zorbed
Nov 25th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Eat the bible :)

sandra
Nov 25th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Hi Focus, yes I think it's when someone says something really idiotic like that person in the supermarket that it makes you really mad. It's as if they are trying to be provocative! Your husband handled it brilliantly!

sugarmouse
Nov 26th, 2006, 01:35 AM
I know.I am sick of folk ttrying to wind me up. Before I was poorly I was a lot more confident at arguing.now, half the time I jus tell them I am not an argumentative vegan and to shut up!

itofu
Nov 26th, 2006, 05:51 PM
It's 2 or 3 am and I'd taken my friend into a private hospital because I was worried about her and she called me. She was wearing a vegan sweatshirt. I leave her in the waiting room to use the restroom.

She said the security guy was hitting on her and deliberately came out of his office and made the comment, 'do you want some porkchops?" she gave him a blank stare and apparently he continued with those kind of stupid remarks. (he pronounced vegan veh-gan btw)

when i got out of the restroom i almost had to restrain her, lol.

what an idiot. what's WRONG with people?

fiamma
Nov 26th, 2006, 05:53 PM
He sure has a warped way of hitting on people :mad:

sandra
Nov 26th, 2006, 08:25 PM
He's a real charmer, isn't he? I bet he's a great success with women. :)

Haniska
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:32 AM
"Mr. Cow" .....didn't she mean "Miss Cow" or Mr. Steer" ? That stuff irratates me. I take it upon myself to inform people of the sexes of animals and insects (for example, only female mosquitoes bite) makes it more personal.
Here is the latest gem from my grandmother:

"I don't like meat."

Jamie
Nov 27th, 2006, 10:44 AM
What's wrong with that Haniska? Does she say that and still eat it, or do you mean she says that about you?

Purple
Dec 1st, 2006, 12:49 AM
Apologies if these have been said already, but there's 40+ pages and I'm not gonna read them all ;)

My dad: "You wouldn't believe it the other day... in Asda.. they have chickens there, whole chickens for just £1.80! Isn't that a bargain?"

An old friend: "see, the problem is, if everyone was Vegan, we wouldn't have any cows... there'd be no cows in fields, they'd be extinct".

The above one really, really pisses me off. Haven't thought of a good answer yet, I just got very, very angry.

God and I've made myself angry now and I'm about to go to bed!! :mad:

sugarmouse
Dec 1st, 2006, 01:55 AM
does he think it is ok to abuse our ability, and createlife to kill it?
and also, they may not be alive,but they would not be dead,either.

fiamma
Dec 1st, 2006, 08:32 AM
Hi Purple, you might want to check out this thread (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4644&highlight=extinct).

Haniska
Dec 4th, 2006, 06:45 AM
What's wrong with that Haniska? Does she say that and still eat it, or do you mean she says that about you?

She says that and still eats it. Then she goes off complaining about how milk is so disgusting (she milked cows when she was younger) and then eats ice cream and clears her throat a million times in the next half hour. *hates that sound* Then she refuses to try soymilk because she doesn't like milk anyways.

Annie
Dec 4th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Today a friend of mine asked me..

"So what'd you doing after this? Gonna go eat a vay-gun meal?"

I was just like...

"Um yeah...vee-gun meals are all I ever eat now"

It more made me laugh than anything else though =P

howdawg
Dec 4th, 2006, 06:16 PM
My brother was cooking clam chowder once, and my grandmother had told me he was making it vegan. I had had vegan clam chowder before (they used Chinese mushrooms instead of clams), but was 99% positive my brother wouldn't be making any. I asked him and he said 'no he wasn't'..

When I told my grandma she was crazy (In a nice way!) she said, 'Well.. Why doesn't he use soy milk??' (not realizing clams wouldn't be vegan)... Poor clams!!!

Catie
Dec 4th, 2006, 08:08 PM
They had reindeer in the town near where I live, I didn't see them but the day after at school one of my friends came and told me how they had these 5 reindeer all crammed in a tiny little cage and how I would have freaked out. Then my other friend was trying to defend it and said "but it made the children happy" and I stormed off, when I came back we argued some more, she said "the children were happy" again
my response was
"I'm sure white people were happy when they could use black people as slaves, it doesn't make it right."

Also, I couldn't find the tofu in sainsburys because everything had been moved around so I asked someone who worked there were it was and he said "tofu, isn't that a type of meat?"
I found the tofu by myself

Orange-powered
Dec 12th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I've posted on this a good few times its depressing :( anyway this was a bit of a silly comment from the new girl at work. We were talking about charities and she was going on about how she thinks fairtrade is pointless, doesn't give a toss about sweat shops (which I really had difficulty hearing)

then she says she's more interested in animals, would prefer to eat more organically, less factory farmed meat etc...so I told her I'm vegan and her first reaction? "woah really...that's a bit extreme isn't it?" :rolleyes:

Jamie
Dec 12th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I used to think veganism was extreme too - it is extremely different from being meat eating, or even for most vegetarians. It was only when I happened to come across the good reasons for not eating/using animal products that it seemed the sensible option. Especially "today's youngsters" :rolleyes: who have never set foot on a farm and just think that cows etc have a lovely long happy life in green pastures before going on a little holiday that ends up with them nicely cut up and wrapped in a pack on a supermarket shelf (and sadly a lot of people don't even get that close to the real thing!), and believe all the other propaganda that the death industries happily promote.

Although that girl at your work just sounds like a twit! Too wrapped up in herself to care about who suffered for her to live the way she does. :(