PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Orange-powered
Dec 13th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I in no way condone or approve of hunting. But I'll give hunters this - you'll never catch one saying "OMG!!! Shooting animals is so mean!!" while cooking a steak.

I sh*t you not - this actually happened. And when I tried to point out there's no difference between shooting an animal and buying a dead one at the store, she got really mean. She actually said "THERE IS SO A DIFFERENCE!!!"

I will never, ever understand people.

no, I don't think I will ever understand them either

eclectic_one
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I in no way condone or approve of hunting. But I'll give hunters this - you'll never catch one saying "OMG!!! Shooting animals is so mean!!" while cooking a steak.

I sh*t you not - this actually happened. And when I tried to point out there's no difference between shooting an animal and buying a dead one at the store, she got really mean. She actually said "THERE IS SO A DIFFERENCE!!!"

I will never, ever understand people.
My mom falls into this category, she'll go on and on about how horrible hunting is. Her idea is that it's horrible because the animal is "minding its own business in its natural habit" when the hunter ambushes it. I have tried to point out to her numerous times that I don't agree with hunting (as well as knowing there are many "hunted" animals that are not out-right killed and have slow and gruesome deaths), but the way agricultural animals are treated (basically tortured all their lives before being killed) is MUCH worse. She often acts like I didn't say anything OR says, "well, I can't do anything about it and thinking about such sorrow is too overwhelming for me," or (worse yet) "you're just believing media hype 'cause farmers don't treat their animals like that":rolleyes: I've tried to point out that the media generally ignores this story altogether and many of those who've spoken out about it were originally not animal rights people (like ex-inspectors for the U.S. gov't), so it's not just "propoganda." My brother even works for an alternative agriculture magazine and has also told me that it's true, but my parents--both--just say he's exaggerating!

Purple
Dec 13th, 2006, 11:57 PM
They're going through the denial phase, bless them. I remember a time I didn't believe half the stuff my boss said (who is vegan) about the wool industry, meat industry etc...

A year later I went vegetarian. 3 years late, and now I'm vegan.

If they don't believe you, then they don't have to stop eating meat (as far as they are concerned). Baring in mind that they've also been told completely different 'facts' their whole life, it's hard for them to believe you.

But I feel for you none the less, cos it's bloody frustrating.

Ever tried showing them some videos from the web? Of what actually happens?

Tigerlily
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:11 AM
That's okay, Hemlock. I'm Arab myself so it rubbed me the wrong way when you said that.

VeganBarbie
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Stupid cousin: "I just made these pepperoni rolls, want one?"
Me:"No thanks, I don't eat meat anymore, remember?"
Stupid cousin: "so like you don't eat nuts then, huh?"
Me: "umm yeah, nuts are a healthy snack"
Stupid cousin: "But like aren't they considered a meat?"
Me: "Umm, no, I really think they are a plant."
Stupid cousin: *confused look* "But like I thought.."
Me: "You thought they slaughtered peanuts, and you've seen almonds in cages?"

I really do love her, but she can be very stupid.

Jamie
Dec 14th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Stupid cousin: *confused look* "But like I thought.."
Me: "You thought they slaughtered peanuts, and you've seen almonds in cages?"

I really do love her, but she can be very stupid.

And they say eating meat makes you more intelligent??? :eek:

Brilliant comeback though VB :D

VeganBarbie
Dec 14th, 2006, 11:55 AM
haha thanks..:)

tbelle
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:07 PM
This is a silly but good comment I heard a week ago. I made a tofurky with roasted potatoes carrots leeks with gravy on the side for a potluck. We were the only vegans there. Everyone was dishing out their food and 2 of the guys were coming back for seconds and said "hey did you try the turkey roll with stuffing? It is great!" I went back to my table and died laughing because these were avid hunters and meat eater tough guys. That is my favorite thing to do, make a vegan dish and surprise everyone that it is so good.

PainterLady
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:09 PM
AWESOME TBELLE!!!!!!!!!! Bravo!!!! That is SO cool! :)

sandra
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:15 PM
That is brilliant tbelle! Did you tell them it wasn't 'turkey'?

PainterLady
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:22 PM
T, My husband want to know if you told them, he thinks you should have. :)

tbelle
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:22 PM
All of the wives knew so I am sure there was an interesting conversation when they got home. I also tried out my pumpkin pie recipe with pecan topping and coconut oil crust that night. When I went up to get my dessert it was almost gone!!

PainterLady
Dec 14th, 2006, 06:29 PM
This is what always happens to us. We'll go to a potluck, bring vegan food, and ours will be gone before anything else! It kinda sucks when we are still hungry, it's like, why don't you all just make vegan food if you like it so much. hmmmph. I went to a wedding and the people getting married knew we were vegan so they had 2 vegan dishes on the buffet. They were gone before my husband and I even got to eat anything! :p Argh

sugarmouse
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:19 PM
what is a potluck?!lol
I am always questioning you painterlady am I not!

VeganBarbie, that is hilarious!

I am sure I have posted ths before, but it baffles me, and I have since asked my mother what she meant and no answer as yet!

(mother comes to visit me)

'Jennifer are you hungry?'

'No not really, I just had a sandwich'

'Really! Seriously!!??'

'Yes.....'

'No but really?!'

(I get impatient)

'YES !! why do yuo want to go out for some food or something?!?'

' I just refuse to beleive you have eaten a sandwich. I mean, did you put bread in it?!?!'

Ithink I just gawped at her trying to work out if she was for real.

PainterLady
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:29 PM
LOL :) sweet sugarmouse, check here for pot luck:
http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11550&highlight=pot+luck

vegcurry
Dec 14th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Sheila:

"Him: Wow, that sucks! Where do you get your calcium then?
Me: From the calcium plant.
Him: There really is a calcium plant?
Me: You bet ya!"

ROTFLMAO :D

absentmindedfan
Dec 14th, 2006, 09:32 PM
The classic omni denail mantra "don't tell me don't tell me, I don't want to know"
Yuh, cos denying the truth always works out good. Chairman Mao's communist regime anyone?

Yoggy
Dec 15th, 2006, 12:58 AM
LOL VB, your cousin must have been confused because the old crappy food pyramid groups nuts with meat. But really, to think that nuts ARE meat! Wow *shakes head*

VeganBarbie
Dec 15th, 2006, 01:09 AM
LOL, I KNOW!! I couldnt believe it!! She even went on to say the next day that nuts were filled with cholesterol!! Man.. people have lots to learn about what they put in their mouths!!!!!:p

Purple
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:17 PM
The classic omni denail mantra "don't tell me don't tell me, I don't want to know"
Yuh, cos denying the truth always works out good. Chairman Mao's communist regime anyone?

I cam on here to post exactly that. A woman in the cafe at our work is going to make vegan food (she's up on what's vegan and what isn't, so I feel safe in that respsect).

Then she asked how many vegans there were (there's at least 2 vegans and one raw vegan) and when I said I was veggie for 3 years until I learned about eggs, she said "oh don't tell me, I don't want to know!"

That's right, bury your f*cking head in the sand :(

sugarmouse
Dec 17th, 2006, 04:37 PM
it annoys me the denial thing. It makes me have even less faith in the human race...it is so selfish to do that.

lol veganbarbie that is waht I usually think about people..how on earthdo you just eat something without knowing what it is,waht it is made out of,whats in it....but so so many people do just that!

sandra
Dec 17th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Yes, and I get really annoyed at omnis who get 'disgusted' at animals, like they are dirty or something and yet they don't mind eating them! I know someone who thinks like this and I swear one of these days............

Tigerlily
Dec 17th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I hate it when some omnivores try to make your veganism seem like as big deal. A few people know I'm vegan and every time we are together, they always like to tell everyone they see that I'm vegan or I "can't eat that" or something. Very annoying. I don't get it. Do they get some sort of pleasure out of trying to embarrass me? If I wanted people to know I'm vegan, I'll tell them! But I don't feel the need to tell every single person I meet, so why are these people constantly trying to "out" me?

sandra
Dec 17th, 2006, 05:56 PM
They probably feel guilty around vegans because they know we are right and it gives them a sense of power to make you feel uneasy. Don't let them make you feel embarrassed, they are the ones who should be embarrassed. They should worry more about what they eat than what you are eating, it would be better for them.

Tigerlily
Dec 17th, 2006, 06:39 PM
That's very true. :)