PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

karmadust
Dec 17th, 2006, 09:39 PM
"You'll eat tuna if it's in a can, though, right?"

"So let me get this straight...you don't eat any type of meat whatsoever. What about summersausage?"

Tigerlily
Dec 17th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I have a few more, karmadust...

"But what processed deli meats? They aren't made with all real meat...look the package says it even has some soy protein..."

:p

And then they realise they have been eating partially soy deli slices. Haha. If you read the labels, a lot of sh!tty meat products contain soy and/or wheatas a filler.

Purple
Dec 17th, 2006, 11:59 PM
And then they realise they have been eating partially soy deli slices. Haha. If you read the labels, a lot of sh!tty meat products contain soy and/or wheatas a filler.

Yep. That always makes me laugh :) It makes me laugh when they eat Pot Noodle and joke about how I can't have it, before I politely point out that I can, and it contains no animal ingredients at all. Suckers :)

Risker
Dec 18th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I hope you know it's only the sweet & sour one that's vegan

Purple
Dec 18th, 2006, 09:09 AM
This was actually before I went Vegan, but couldn't see anything in the ingredients of the chicken and mushroom one that suggested otherwise. Was there a colouring in it?

My vegan friend at the time used to eat the beef and tomato ones because they were vegan. Is that not the case?

Risker
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:09 AM
The email I received from Unilever on the 28th Feb 2006 said just sweet & sour is vegan due to the presence of milk & eggs in the others. It's time I checked again with them so I'll email them and post my findings in a more appropriate thread.

auntierozzi
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I started having a bit of a cold sweat about Christmas at my in-laws back a few months ago! My MIL rang a couple of days ago since they were planning 'THE MENU' which is always a big thing with them. She said "Well, you can just have pasta can't you"......For 5 days! And then " Well, we'll be doing snails ofcourse, you'll have some of those won't you?" erm nope.
I have decided to keep a very low profile and augment the veggies that are provided and the pasta with the occasional festive chick pea. I just can't face providing vegan fare for the 20 odd vegan resistant people and rocking the familial boat...

matt35mm
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:07 AM
It's nothing new, but WHOAAAA it's really weird to hear someone say that they just don't want to know anything. That they "know" that they're happier not knowing. That they "know" that soy is nasty (despite eating it all the time in various non-vegan foods, including meat products).

I didn't even mention veganism or anything. I mentioned Tofutti Cuties casually and was met with an unexpected wave of hate for anything with tofu, and then a lot of very defensive behavior before we both just decided to back off and stop talking about it.

It just was a very clear reminder that people don't choose to eat meat... they choose not to know.

The bizarre defensiveness just really struck me as a (kind of violent) dichotamy between what the heart suspects and what the brain is willing to know. I guess I should expect to see this a lot more as time goes on.

sugarmouse
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I agree Matt. A friend of mine (vegetarian) has a damaged intestine and is having to get a plastic one put in. It has been caused by a combination of dehydration, poor diet and disease. But my friend insists he wouldn'thave got it if he had been a meat eater. I have advised her that poor diet does not mean 'does not eat meat' but she wont have it and uses it as an excuse for eating meat:mad: .

aubergine
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Hmm. You are more likely to damage your intestine if you do eat meat.

sugarmouse
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Hmm. You are more likely to damage your intestine if you do eat meat.

Ex****ing zactly! scuse my french I am rather annoyed.lol

VeganBarbie
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:11 AM
My newest is this:

(me eating tofutti ice cream)

Zack: wtf is that? crap cream?
me: Yeah, and it's actually somewhat better than heart-attack-cream.

Roxy
Dec 20th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Why do people have to be so rude? I mean, crap-cream? Can't they just keep their stupid smart-ass comments to themselves? Oh no - that's right - it makes them feel all high and mighty to try and make fun of and belittle someone else's good choices.

I admire your wit, VeganBarbie with the way you handle situations. I've read a couple of places on the forum where you've had some really good come-backs. :)

Mahk
Dec 20th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Back in the day when I was a vegetarian, I once asked at a restaurant, "Excuse me, could you please check to see if the soup du jour is vegetarian?" She quickly replied, "Oh yes, it has many kinds of vegetables in it." This is yet another example of why one needs to see the ingredients list with one's own eyes. The average run-of-the-mill omni may not know what the word "vegetarian" (let alone "vegan") even means, yet they think they do.:mad:

sandra
Dec 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM
That is so right 'Mahk', I've become a bit paranoid about reading labels and asking question about ingredients, you just can't trust someone elses opinion!
That's another good one VeganBarbie! :)

Pisces
Dec 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM
They probably feel guilty around vegans because they know we are right and it gives them a sense of power to make you feel uneasy. Don't let them make you feel embarrassed, they are the ones who should be embarrassed. They should worry more about what they eat than what you are eating, it would be better for them.

Tigerlilly--I agree completely with what Sandra said.

emmapresley
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:36 PM
today i got told my lovely vegan lunch looked like baby shit..twice.. by the same person whilst they laughed about it...i offered for them to try a bit..which was emphatically declined..cos that's be 'a crazy idea to eat somethng that looks like THAT'..then they ate a big pile of chicken.

Gnuh.

Yogini
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:48 PM
And then " Well, we'll be doing snails ofcourse, you'll have some of those won't you?" erm nope.

I was just about to ask who the hell eats snails for Christmas. Then I noticed your location. Gotta love the intarwebs.

Yogini
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:52 PM
today i got told my lovely vegan lunch looked like baby shit..twice..

I hate the way people think that because you're vegan, it's therefore acceptable to insult your cooking. This has happened to me multiple times at omni potlucks, which is why I no longer attend them. Do people's parents not teach them manners anymore or something? If my mother had ever heard I'd looked at someone's food, whatever it was, and said something like that, she'd kick the crap out of me for making her look bad.:mad:

Yogini
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:55 PM
I was just about to ask who the hell eats snails for Christmas. Then I noticed your location. Gotta love the intarwebs.

I just want to clarify that this comment wasn't a slam against the French. I was trying to point out how my culture has limited my views of "proper Christmas food" and how associating with good people from far-flung lands over the internet is expanding my mind.

Roxy
Dec 20th, 2006, 11:59 PM
today i got told my lovely vegan lunch looked like baby shit..twice.. by the same person whilst they laughed about it...i offered for them to try a bit..which was emphatically declined..cos that's be 'a crazy idea to eat somethng that looks like THAT'..then they ate a big pile of chicken.

Gnuh.

This is what I mean! Why do people have to be so rude? "Your lunch looks like baby shit hahahahaaaaahahaaaa". Gee - I hope that person felt like a real super-duper winner for insulting you like that Emma. :(

Tigerlily
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:21 AM
In my first year of elementary school (when I was 6), I used to bring Middle Eastern food for lunch sometimes. Kids would always make fun of me...saying I was eating "bird food" or that my food smelled weird. I never took Middle Eastern food to school ever again...even in high school!

catalina
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:35 AM
Oh Tigerlily, that's a real shame. My favourite food is all of Middle Eastern origin. (Excuse the spelling, stuff here is spelled differently from restaurant to restaurant, and from store to store). Tabbouleh, hummus, fatayer, falafel, manakeesh bin zattar, batata harra, mujadarah, etc etc, is all great stuff.

Hope their ignorance doesn't bother you now, after all these years.

Tigerlily
Dec 21st, 2006, 12:50 AM
For a long time I was really shy about my 'heritage' but now I'm more comfortable with it. :)

Mahk
Dec 21st, 2006, 05:00 AM
That's great to hear!

It's rude to make fun of other peoples religions, ethnicity, food choices, or skin color in a private setting. But in a work setting, or I assume school, IT IS ILLEGAL! Don't put up with harassment or bullying. REPORT IT TO THE PROPER AUTHORITIES!!!!!!!!!