PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Tigerlily
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:48 PM
Haha, I was 6. Too late now.

aubergine
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:28 PM
today i got told my lovely vegan lunch looked like baby shit..twice.. by the same person whilst they laughed about it...i offered for them to try a bit..which was emphatically declined..cos that's be 'a crazy idea to eat somethng that looks like THAT'..then they ate a big pile of chicken.

Gnuh.

It'll look a whole lot better than their colon with all that putrifying flesh inside. Yuck!

hannah
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:35 AM
I don't post very often, but I felt that I had to share this little gem.

I was eating a slice of vegan pizza the other day at my school and I went and sat down with a friend a mine, a fashion student, and her other fashion friends. As always, when eating vegan food, they started asking all sorts of questions about what veganism is, what I eat, etc. You know, the typical questions ... and they seemed slightly curious so I was happy to answer. Then, as I was getting ready to leave, one of the girls looked at me and, completely seriously, was like:

"Wait..so....you're, like, against... chickens..laying eggs??!"

They all looked at me like they were wondering the same thing, so I was just like "um...no, that's fine". aah I almost died trying not to laugh.

Mahk
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:20 AM
"Wait..so....you're, like, against... chickens..laying eggs??!"

They all looked at me like they were wondering the same thing, so I was just like "um...no, that's fine". aah I almost died trying not to laugh.

Hannah, that's a funny story!:)

Mahk
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Haha, I was 6. Too late now.

Sorry, Tigerlily, I didn't mean you at age six.:o I meant people in general should not tolerate any form of discrimination. I think I got a little too emotional there because I too was picked on as a little boy.

Willynilly
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:42 PM
today i got told my lovely vegan lunch looked like baby shit..twice.

But what were you eating?
My recollection of baby shit is that it's fairly pleasant smelling, toothpaste consistency and a mustardy yellow colour. (I should have kept some for reference! :D )

emmapresley
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
But what were you eating?
My recollection of baby shit is that it's fairly pleasant smelling, toothpaste consistency and a mustardy yellow colour. (I should have kept some for reference! :D )

it was a joyous kind of lentil glop :D

hee..when my oldest daughter was really really tiny..as in just a few days old and we'd brought her home..on changing her nappy for the first time after all the really dark sticky baby poo stuff changes to that lovely mustardy coloured milk poo,we panicked cos it actually came out of her lovely bum sort of like hair mousse out of a can would..and we thought there was something wrong with it and saved the nappy, phoned the (useless) health visitor and dithered in a fretful way cos we were new parents...ahhh. such naivety..
I took a photo of it too *ahem* which embarrasses her no end.:o

VeganBarbie
Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:43 AM
Why do people have to be so rude? I mean, crap-cream? Can't they just keep their stupid smart-ass comments to themselves? Oh no - that's right - it makes them feel all high and mighty to try and make fun of and belittle someone else's good choices.

I admire your wit, VeganBarbie with the way you handle situations. I've read a couple of places on the forum where you've had some really good come-backs. :)

why thank you. :)

Roxy
Dec 23rd, 2006, 04:45 AM
You're welcome :)

Hemlock
Dec 23rd, 2006, 08:20 AM
I've had 2 bad restaurant experiences in one week. I went to dinner with friends and specifically booked a vegan meal - the first course was (drum roll)......salmon. They were amazed when I disdainfully handed it back and said fish isn't vegan. I'm afraid I was rather rude and asked them what plant they thought salmon grew on!
Last night we went out for a pub lunch with friends and the special vegetarian menu which said "vegetarian menu" at the top consisted of haddock and tuna dishes?????????? So not only did I get to eat....nothing...... but also had to suffer an argument from one of the party (not one of my friends) go on and on about research that has been done into how vegetables feel 'pain' when they are cut up. I'm afraid I went into one about the type of pain and fear animals feel when they are cut up which rather killed that particular conversation!:)

twinkle
Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:39 PM
Hemlock, have you seen the Vegetarian Society's campaign "fishy business" - you can report the restaurants that think fish is somehow a vegetable and the Vegetarian Society will contact them and put them straight! :)

They also do these little business card things with a carrot on one side and a fish on the other side along with a little bit of info, which you can hand to people.

VeganBarbie
Dec 24th, 2006, 07:11 AM
OMGSH THIS IS CLASSIC!

The shoe store manager was suuuuuch a beeeep!

me: I'd like a nice pair of non leather boots with fake fur *shows picture from magazine*
shoe store manager: How about these? *hands me leather shoes with fake fur*
me: No, these are leather.
shoe store manager: Real leather is good.
me: I find something wrong with wearing a cow on my feet.
shoe store manager: ohh, don't tell me you are a vegetarian.
me: Actually, I'm vegan.
shoe store manager:That's bad, you should reconsider. My sister died because she didnt eat meat. There are 2 things you can only get from red meat...
me: You mean Heart disease and cancer? *walks away*

matt35mm
Dec 24th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Ooooh. Well done!

VeganBarbie
Dec 24th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks!!!!

sugarmouse
Dec 24th, 2006, 09:42 AM
lol veganbarbie your a star:)
wonder what he meant?lol.I dont beleive anyone can die because they dont eat meat.
I am having trouble atthe moment with my friend who is now renting myspare room. sheis a very good friend to me,were very close and have been since we met 4 years ago.but her mother lives on a farm, a traditional farm, and she goes there often and I hear her stories about petting the cows and the pigs and the sheep..and she eats meat.
I hear her often discussin it with her boyfriend or other friends who visit, saying things like 'aww I was petting this cow onthe farm and it looked at me with its big eyes and was letting me stroke its head for ages it was lovely'
then, she justifies any referenece to her chomping on the mince dinner with things like, 'yes but its all part of the cycle of life, i mean if that cow wasnt there for us to eat, it wouldnt be there at all and I wouldnt have gotten to pet it and talk to it...they are there for us to eat'

:confused: :( :( :mad:
what doesone say to that..I am having problems at the moment due to my illness meaning I am upset more easily and less strength to argue, especially with my best friends.
also, she was eating some sort of duck pate the other day and said to me 'Jennifer you miss out on so much by not eating meat'grrr. I did say to this one, 'yes like heart disease, fat, clogged arteries'
to which she replied 'mmmm fat'
grr.
(gets off soapbox)

satirecafe
Dec 24th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Every Wednesday at my school someone brings snacks for the 12th grade, and this one girl (who knows perfectly well that I'm vegan and one time even said it was "really cool") brought clearly non-vegan brownies. I was sitting at a table with her and some of my friends; they were all eating a brownie but I wasn't. All of a sudden she says "do you want one, marina??" Wtf?? She expects me to give up my morals just like that?? Just because I'm sitting with a group of people eating cow pus and chicken periods?? Gah, stupid b*tch. I'm probably going overboard, but that just pissed me off.

Hemlock
Dec 24th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Thank you Twinkle - I'll write off to them straight away!!!

Veganbarbie - your replies are brilliant. I wish I could think of replies like that:)

satirecafe
Dec 24th, 2006, 04:09 PM
OMGSH THIS IS CLASSIC!

The shoe store manager was suuuuuch a beeeep!

me: I'd like a nice pair of non leather boots with fake fur *shows picture from magazine*
shoe store manager: How about these? *hands me leather shoes with fake fur*
me: No, these are leather.
shoe store manager: Real leather is good.
me: I find something wrong with wearing a cow on my feet.
shoe store manager: ohh, don't tell me you are a vegetarian.
me: Actually, I'm vegan.
shoe store manager:That's bad, you should reconsider. My sister died because she didnt eat meat. There are 2 things you can only get from red meat...
me: You mean Heart disease and cancer? *walks away*

hahaha, that's really funny! he/she probably meant protein and iron, neither of which are true of course.

VeganBarbie
Dec 25th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Veganbarbie - your replies are brilliant. I wish I could think of replies like that:)

lol, thanks, it's a gift. Most people call it just being b*tchy hahah. :)

VeganBarbie
Dec 25th, 2006, 04:03 AM
hahaha, that's really funny! he/she probably meant protein and iron, neither of which are true of course.

I didnt stick around to hear the rest of it. He probably did mean something stupid like protein or iron.. I went off to a different store and got some vegan body wash instead. I really wanted to find those cute shoes, but I can look for them somewhere else. I just don't have time for people that stupid. At times like that I wish I could just sit down with the person and have a very long conversation about what humans really should be eating. But then I get upset and say something crabby and leave. Mostly because I know I cant change the mind of a man who sells cow body parts for peoples feet... :mad:

Thanks for thinking I'm funny though. :D

satirecafe
Dec 28th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Even if they don't believe in animal rights, how do they not find it disgusting that they are washing themselves with things like whale sperm??? eeewwwwww!

Peas'nHominy
Dec 28th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I think they just don't know or don't stop to really think about what it is they're doing.

I hadn't heard about the whale sperm, though. (Or if I did, I've forgotten.) Seriously? So, uh, is this something that's being farmed? I mean, HUH? I don't get how they get it or keep up supply. :confused: That's just so bazaare (and sick). I'm assuming they don't have a whale version of Playboy magazine or something. :p

I don't get why there is so much use of animals when we have the priviledge of living in a time when there's so much abundance. We have so many choices without that stuff, that there's just no justificaiton for it at all.

I think people's eyes are closed, that they are just unaware. But on the other hand, I've talked to people about some of the issues and they just look at me blanky (or laugh at me, trying to hold back to be polite if possible). So maybe it's ignorance by choice, because in their minds its "normal" and more convenient and cheaper??

The one person I knew who does understand has moved off to Kansas. Her husband keeps us all in touch by sending an occassional letter with family pictures. I haven't been personally keeping in touch with her, though -- she seemed to have the hots for my hubby, and ended up really offending me. What a shame, too -- I'd like to be able to hang with friends that do understand what's really going on and are vegan.

absentmindedfan
Dec 28th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I beleive you may be confusing whale sperm with 'spermaceti' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spermaceti), a oily-waxy by-product of whaling used in cosmetics.
Ambergris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambergris) is a by-product of whaling too, used in perfumes.

But hey, the whaling nations are just doing it for 'research'. It has nothing to do with the extortionate prices they can charge for whale products and meat.

satirecafe
Dec 28th, 2006, 07:34 PM
you're right, i mixed it up with sperm whale, which is a type of whale. still though, it's gross to wash yourself with ANIMAL FAT! WTF!

Lilac Hamster
Dec 28th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Not to mention coffee from beans eaten by a cat and excreted!

I'm not kidding. It's real, although sounds like an urban legend.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Get-Best-Shit-Coffee-41981.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civet_coffee