PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

sugarmouse
Jan 29th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Aww that is awful!((hugs))

sandra
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:02 AM
What an awful experience Manzana, but good for you! I would feel the same and would not want to eat the food after that!

Manzana
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks Sandra and Sugarmouse! :) (So much opposition almost made me feel like I was being extreme!!... I should have told them: "I might be extreme but at least I dont eat babys nor stolen mother's milk")

eclectic_one
Jan 30th, 2007, 10:06 PM
In one of the classes I teach, we were talking about artificial sweeteners being bad for you. One person said, "well, what about honey?" I said I didn't use honey, but didn't want to get into my veganism (as it doesn't pertain to the class at all). One student who'd had me b4 said it was because of the bees. So I said, "yes, I am a vegan, so I do not use any animal products." Another student said, "it's not an animal product":rolleyes:

sugarmouse
Jan 30th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Sometimes the best responses are the simplest. I hope yuo said 'ah really?What is it then'?:rolleyes:

~Lenore
Jan 31st, 2007, 10:05 PM
Ugh, I have to come and vent here.
At the moment, I work as a checkout girl for a grocery store here, and a few days ago a middle-aged woman comes through my line and starts talking about these new pre-packaged frozen chicken strips she's buying and how she can't wait to have them for dinner and how she's going to make them and blah blah, and I just fake a smile and scan her stuff, 'cause it's my job... but then this happens:

Woman: "Have you tried them yet?"
Me: "No. Oh, well, I'm a vegetarian, actually."
Woman : "Oh, Jesus..."
Woman: "Do you only eat organic stuff, too?" *shakes her head*
Me: *angry but remaining polite*... "Organic food is much healthier for you, and I try to, but I'm not really a health freak or anything; eating animal products is against my beliefs."

And the woman LAUGHS. For serious, she let out a "Hah!", like that was just the most absurd thing she'd ever heard in her life. Like she was thinking Oh, you silly little girl, in your silly little world...
And when she was leaving she goes, "You have a nice day now, honey..." in a way that was like she was completely talking down to me, since I was a crazy little girl who thinks I can live without eating animals.
It just infuriated me how much her tone and general demeanor with me changed once I told her I didn't eat animals. :(

And regarding that "organic" comment, WHY is caring about your health considered to be an INSULT!!?? UGH, this world...

Roxy
Jan 31st, 2007, 10:11 PM
Poor Lenore :( I work in the customer service industry too and some customers can be absolute "you know what's"!!! It's hard to be able to say what you want, because you're in your uniform representing the company.

Don't worry too much about that stupid woman. See, she is filling her life with bad karma by eating murdered chickens. She is also filling her body with harmful substances (antibiotics etc) by eating what she eats and because her life is so damn miserable, she's got to try and belittle you to make herself feel like a big hero.

Maybe one day when she's suffering from colon cancer induced by her unhealthy diet, she'll think of you and she won't think you were such a silly little girl after all ;) :)

howdawg
Jan 31st, 2007, 10:17 PM
So I went to the vegan restaurant in town today and I was very surprised that our server was actually vegan(They usually aren't).. So when I'm checking out, there was another girl at the checkout counter and I asked her if she was also a vegan...

"No, but I'm a vegetarian, but I don't like to call myself that because I eat meat like once a month"

"Then don't", I said.. :) and I gave her some online resources...

Mahk
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:03 AM
Lenore, you handled the situation extremely well. Good job.:) But don't let that women's actions bum you out! It is her problem, not yours.

DancingWillow
Feb 1st, 2007, 04:02 AM
how rude and condescending of that woman! at least you know you were right, Lenore, and she is the one who is wrong.

sandra
Feb 1st, 2007, 08:52 AM
The title of this thread sums that woman up 'Silly and ignorant'!

sugarmouse
Feb 1st, 2007, 06:18 PM
I Agree with the others, Lenore. I am not sure I would be able to remain calm in that situation as you did! Well done!

This is not so much meat related, but I suppose some of yoiu will remember a few months ago, I aquired a rabbit from a neglectful owner. Well from the start the arragement was she would live with me until I found a very good home for her (I dont have a garden) and if I never fuond a home for her..She would live with me and be part of my family .UnderstandI was not actively looking for another home for her, I just knew my home wasnt ideal and if I came acroiss one that was, I wouldn't keep her.
My mother was not happy with me having the rabbit at all. She was upset that she chewed things and said she was too much responsibility.I stood my ground totally, but one of hercomments made me laugh.She was trying to get me to give the rabbit to an animal shelter.
I said 'mother I support those places, they are too full and this rabbit has a good home and does not need to be there! As if I would place an animal in a shelter!!'
her reply?

'Well they wouldnt exist if no animals were in them'

:mad: :confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

I told her this was exactly the point!! No animals should be in shelters, they should all have good homes!! They are charities not businesses!!! grr. I don't know where I get my brains from!

Fyvel
Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Lenore,

Don't let that woman get you down. She is just one of many low life scum that can only make themselves feel better by belittling people at their jobs, when there is no chance of you saying anything back without risking your job. It is an easy power trip for her: she can put you down, making herself feel better, without any repercussions. She would never do this if she had just met you on the street, because then there is the possibility that you could 'win' the argument. That isn't possible while you are working because if you argue with her while you are working, she still has the upper hand by calling management to compain about your service. No matter what happens in this situation, she wins. That is why she does it.

I worked in retail long enough to know the best way to deal with these types (and any other belligerent types): be as happy, nice, and friendly as possible. If she feels she has brought you down, or if she encourages you into arguing with her (hence bringing you down to her level), she has 'won' her sick little game.

I wonder how she would have reacted if you had spoken to her in such a condescending voice regarding her animal consumption?

fiamma
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:09 PM
I just read in a "health" consumer magazine that "we need to avoid trans- and saturated fats, but that's impossible, because they're found in meat and dairy products, without which our bodies cannot function properly." :confused:

EDIT: Sorry, that emoticon should have been *rolls eyes* :D

Fyvel
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:18 PM
I just read in a "health" consumer magazine that "we need to avoid trans- and saturated fats, but that's impossible, because they're found in meat and dairy products, without which our bodies cannot function properly." :confused:

:eek: I think it's time to write a letter to the editor... someone needs to brush up on their nutrition knowledge.

fiamma
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Yes indeed, I can feel a bit of letter-writing coming on :D

Roxy
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM
I worked in retail long enough to know the best way to deal with these types (and any other belligerent types): be as happy, nice, and friendly as possible. If she feels she has brought you down, or if she encourages you into arguing with her (hence bringing you down to her level), she has 'won' her sick little game.

I wonder how she would have reacted if you had spoken to her in such a condescending voice regarding her animal consumption?

I agree Fyvel.....
I like to kill them with kindness, process their transaction and get them out the door and out of my face as quickly as I can.

Fyvel
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:30 PM
It really does work. You can almost see their temperature rising as they realize that they can't faze you - and so, the leave to move on to easier targets...

sugarmouse
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
I agree Fyvel.....
I like to kill them with kindness, process their transaction and get them out the door and out of my face as quickly as I can.

I do ALOT!!!of that in my job. as I am sure you can imagine, its more difficult as its usually over the phone but keeping a calm voice sure winds ppl up:D

Mahk
Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:36 PM

:mad: That is very upsetting as they are claiming to be a "Health" magazine. In your letter to the editor, I would highly recommend you quote this:
It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases...This position paper reviews the current scientific data related to key nutrients for vegetarians, including protein, iron, zinc, calcium, vitamin D, riboflavin, vitamin B-12, vitamin A, n-3 fatty acids, and iodine. A vegetarian, including vegan, diet can meet current recommendations for all of these nutrients...Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence.

Source:
http://www.adajournal.org/article/PIIS0002822303002943/abstract

I would also not call them "wrong", but rather call the info "out-dated". You will be more likely to be published, that way.

sugarmouse
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Very good info MAhk I was trying to find a decent link myself but couldn't! That sort of thing really winds me up.

Orange-powered
Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:38 PM
there was a discussion about vegetarianism and the environment in my political sociology elective module today. I actually didnt get involved cos it wasnt part of the seminar, but took place before the seminar started, I was listening though.
Anyway one of the guys starts saying how cows and other farmed animals are one of the biggest contributors to environmental damage and that if politicians want to really make a difference they should encourage mass vegetarianism...i was impressed that he knew this, but he was basically just using it as a way of taking the spotlight away from air travel as an environemental hazard.
One of the girls in the group who is vegetarian pointed out that there's no need to eat meat anyway as there's plenty of alternatives but then that guy says "yea but it tastes good.." to which she looked exasperated...and i was really tempted to say something like "that's a matter of opinion.." or "no it really doesn't"
anyway then this other guy in the group points out that vegetarians live on average 8 years longer but then his mate jumps in to say "yea...8 miserable years" grr!! i really wanted to say something, but cos it was more of a private discussion before the start of the class I didn't really feel I should...but the main reason was that I would probably have lost my rag and called them ignorant p*****...I also wasnt in a good mood for other reasons and wouldnt have done myself or veganism any favours.

Life really annoys me sometimes!!

eclectic_one
Feb 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Is it not true that we do need some saturated fat, but most Americans get far too much to begin with and it is available in vegan food stuffs:confused:

Yoggy
Feb 27th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I'm sure this comment has been mentioned before. I hear it a lot when I first tell someone I'm vegan. (Sometimes I just say I'm "vegetarian" if I'm talking to a near-stranger and don't want to start a long conversation about what vegan means).

Me: "I'm vegan" (or "I'm vegetarian")
Them: "I tried that once but [insert reason why it didn't work out]"

It seems like everyone I meet needs me to believe that they would love to go veg*n if it weren't for some insurmountable barrier stopping them: "The diet made me sick and I had to eat meat again", "I'm an athlete and need meat for protein", "My mom refused to cook me vegetarian meals", and the list goes on. Why can't people be honest and just say "I don't want to be veg*n" instead of trying to justify it to me by saying that they would love to go veg but they just can't for one reason or other?

aubergine
Feb 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Is it not true that we do need some saturated fat,...

We need add no fat at all. There is fat naturally in lots of foods. As long as you eat a balanced diet you'll be fine.