PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Kevster
May 6th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I thought it was just vegans who had to be concerned over nutrition???

How do you get this? How do you get that? No no, how do YOU get it?

' Junk food nation
3.6 million people in Britain suffer from malnutrition
Hospitals see 44% rise in cases as cost to the NHS hits £7.3bn
By Marie Woolf, Political Editor
Published: 06 May 2007

Alarming levels of malnutrition have been recorded in Britain, The Independent on Sunday has learned, prompting further medical concern at the effects of the nation's addiction to salty, fatty, junk food. [..]'

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article2516769.ece

Haniska
May 7th, 2007, 06:04 AM
My grandmother and I were talking about how our hair is falling out. My father said that I was not getting enough protein. I told him that that wasn't it. He said "You think that doesn't have anything to do with it??" As if it were a known fact that I am depriving myself of protein, and I am just in denial of the effects.:rolleyes:

BlackCats
May 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I gave a piece of leather furniture to a charity shop and gave my leather shoes and boots to a shoe recycling facility when I became vegan and someone said to me I should get rid of all my wooden furniture as well because it was made from trees and they were cut down which was bad for the environment.

Someone said that the cows had to be milked or they would explode and what would you do with their milk if we didn't drink it? I had a wacky suggestion that maybe the calf should drink it.

I honestly didn't know what to say about the wooden furniture thing.

Pisces
May 7th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I honestly didn't know what to say about the wooden furniture thing.

That reminds me of that "plants have feelings" excuse, which to me is used at least as means for omnis to hide their guilt/shame. :rolleyes:

BlackCats
May 7th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I know someone did say that to me about plants but I said that they ate animals that ate plants so they ate twice as much plants as me probably.

A guy I know said to me that I shouldn't be eating bread because it has egg in it and he seemed really triumphant when he said it it was almost a shame to correct him.

Enchantress
May 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM
My little sister once told me I shouldn't eat potatoes because they had eggs in them.

BlackCats
May 8th, 2007, 07:13 AM
I really hate it when people ask me where I buy my 'vegan' food from?

When I say the supermarket and then say fruit, veg, potatoes, beans etc are all 'vegan food' and they probably eat these foods every day themselves they either have a look of disbelief as if I am fooling myself or try to pick a hole in my argument to say something like all chocolate contains milk, peanut butter contains butter.

I have had other really bizarre things said to me which I'm sure other people here have had said to them:

If you walk along the street and step on an insect would you still consider yourself a vegan?
Its been scientifically proven that soya is bad for you.
Animal testing saves human lives - how would you feel if someone in your family had cancer?
My daughter became a vegetarian but she lost weight so I told her she was anorexic and if she didn't eat meat she would die.
What if you were on a desert island would you eat an animal to survive?
If it was discovered by science that carrots felt pain would you still eat them?
If you got pregnant would you raise her to be vegan? Do you think thats fair on her?

Animals are stupid - they're not like humans!:mad:

BlackCats
May 8th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I am finding this venting very therapeutic.

More comments:

1. 'At least killing animals for food gives them a purpose in life.'

2. 'Its been scientically proven that vegetarians get more colds than meateaters.'

3. 'I want to buy a parrot and keep it in a cage, some people might find it cruel but I think it would look cool in my flat.'

4. 'I want to buy a fur coat, some people might find it cruel but I love the way a fur coat looks and feels.'

5. 'Fish don't feel anything when I hook them and throw them back in.'

6. When I was younger and said I disagreed with fishing a family member said that teens had a tendancy to get passionate about unimportant things, I would grow out of this phase.

7. 'If animals weren't looked after in zoos, how would kids ever get a chance to see what they looked like?'

8. When I was younger I stayed on a farm where they bred the dogs they used for fox hunting. When I said I thought fox hunting was cruel I was told that foxes were a pest, they didn't really feel pain when they died because it was so quick.
He then patted the head of the foxhound next to him and said foxhunting gave dogs like this one a job.
So he doesn't care that one animal is ripped to shreds but he is worried about another animals career path.

9. 'I can't stand cruelty to animals' (whilst eating a bacon sandwich)

Sorry for going on - I keep remembering things I've heard now I've started thinking about it!

BlackDog
May 8th, 2007, 10:14 AM
In answer to some of the above statements (ie 2 & 5) I'd say that I would be very interested in any peer reviewed papers they could refer me to, and then we could discuss it! :)

BlackCats
May 8th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I might say something like that next time.:)
I just always seem to get angry and then suppress it, or roll my eyes in a passive agressive way or if I try to respond usually they look away and change the subject.

I heard about a study where they injected fish with bee venom to see if they could feel pain and apparently they can, I don't know why they even care if they feel pain if they are still going to fish.

sandra
May 8th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I can never understand people who don't think that other living beings 'feel pain'. Of course they feel pain, every living creature needs to feel pain in order to survive. You only have to look at a poor fish gasping when it is out of water to know it is in distress!
I really believe the majority of human beings lack empathy............and empathy is a very good quality to possess.

Pisces
May 9th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I really believe the majority of human beings lack empathy............and empathy is a very good quality to possess.

I couldn't agree more, sandra! Empathy is a virtue--and unfortunately too few and far between with most humans on this planet.

BlackDog
May 9th, 2007, 02:00 AM

I disagree. Surely, a total lack of empathy indicates a psychotic disorder.
I do think that many people empathise in a selective way.
For example, the vast majority of Australians empathised with the Tasmanian miners when 2 of them were trapped underground a year ago but very few empathise with the Tasmanian wildlife who are losing their habitat through clear felling of the forests for woodchips.

sandra
May 9th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Yes, I actually meant a lot of humans lack empathy towards other life forms. Although even among their own species they still pick and choose who to be empathetic about!

Ruby Rose
May 12th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Occasionally at work we have lunches organised by the company. The secretary who organises the lunches always and without exception tries to make me feel that I'm being difficult or extreme by asking for non-animal options, and tries to make me bring my own 'special' food. I resolutely refuse - and every time I give her a list of suitable options and offer to talk to the caterers myself, which she won't let me do, so I often get nothing.

We had a lunch yesterday, and I got to eat the salad garnish and two minature vegetarian spring rolls. The secretary saw me reading the back of a box of turkish delight box to see the ingredients, and said "Oh, just let yourself have a treat for goodness sake". Grrr. :mad: I tried to explain that it wasn't a 'diet' and that eating dead flesh or pus was revolting to me, not a 'treat'.

She responded by rolling her eyes at one of her colleagues and walking away - oh, it made me so angry that without saying anything she could cast me as some freakish nuisance. Still angry every time I think about it.

sandra
May 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Yes Ruby Rose........that's the sort of attitude I mean.........it really infuriates me too!

Hemlock
May 12th, 2007, 10:33 AM
She responded by rolling her eyes at one of her colleagues and walking away - oh, it made me so angry that without saying anything she could cast me as some freakish nuisance. Still angry every time I think about it.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't tolerate that at work!!! I would personally confront this woman and ask her if she would treat a jewish person's diet (kosher) and a muslim person (halal) in the same deprecating and rude manner and if she still displayed a bad attitude towards you say very strongly and authoritatively that you will take the matter further as an official complaint.
That should shut the bitch up:mad:

RachelJune
May 12th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I'm sorry but I wouldn't tolerate that at work!!! I would personally confront this woman and ask her if she would treat a jewish person's diet (kosher) and a muslim person (halal) in the same deprecating and rude manner

What Hemlock just said. That's very true :mad:

I'm lucky I've never had any hassle about my diet at work, in fact quite the opposite. But if I ever do, I'll definately be using that response!

Pisces
May 12th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I'm sorry but I wouldn't tolerate that at work!!! I would personally confront this woman and ask her if she would treat a jewish person's diet (kosher) and a muslim person (halal) in the same deprecating and rude manner and if she still displayed a bad attitude towards you say very strongly and authoritatively that you will take the matter further as an official complaint.
That should shut the bitch up:mad:

Also what Hemlock said. :mad: Luckily where I work there aren't food-related events there very often and/or happen on times I'm not working. Nobody there understands my lifestyle, but they don't give me a hard time or bombard me with questions as to why I only eat food I provide for myself (only).

sugarmouse
May 12th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I would too, I am not just sayin that because it isnt me, I assure you if that were me I would ensure she didnt get away with it! that is out of order and downright nasty.

Ruby Rose
May 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM
You're right, of course - and I do say things like "Would you be serving me a bacon sandwich if I were Jewish or Muslim?" if I have pre-arranged a vegan meal at a conference or training day and they haven't bothered. (Last month I was at a conference at the College of Surgeons in Dublin: their vegetarian option was salmon (!) and their vegan meal for me was cold slimy stir-fry and potato salad made with mayonnaise. They got it with both barrels from me before I went to Wagamama to get myself something decent).

On the other hand, I don't want to reinforce the belief this woman has that pure vegetarianism is incredibly difficult, impractical and utterly incompatible with the food 'normal' people eat. And that's largely why I keep persevering in not bringing my own food: I want her to realise that if she orders with thought, my colleagues and I can share a meal we can all eat - and that's why in this circumstance I don't want to liken my choices about how I live with other people's reglious dietary prohibitions. I'm not sure what to do for the best.

Mahk
May 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Discrimination and prejudice on the street is one thing, but at work it is illegal. I guess I'm lucky that my coworkers are very understanding but if this were to happen to me I'd get in writing a formal complaint to this women with a veiled threat that a failure to meet my dietary needs in the future would bring about a formal complaint to the company. Veganism should also be defined in the note (or email) so she can't feign ignorance: "But I didn't know vegans don't eat eggs." Off the top of my head I'd say something like this:

Dear (her name),

I'm writing this note to you, privately at this time, to help clarify that as a vegan I don't eat animals or their byproducts (e.g. dairy, eggs, or honey). Understand that my convictions in this area are very strong and should be considered akin to religious principals.

In the past there seems to have been some difficulty in selecting a vegan meal for me for the company sponsored events. Once again, I'd be more than willing to offer my assistance in going over the menu in advance for future events, should you desire.

Thank you for your consideration.

Obviously, I'd keep a copy of the note (or email).

Yogini
May 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM
So just now I'm channel surfing and catch a few minutes of "America's Next Top Model" or whatever the show is called. One contestant is asked what she thinks of fur and she says an animal shouldn't be killed for it's skin, but that it's ok to take the skin from an already dead animal because "don't animals fight each other in the jungle?" She was actually surprised when Twiggy explained to her that that's not where fur coats come from!

I actually found it rather funny, because it was fairly obvious this girl wasn't the brightest bulb.

emmapresley
May 12th, 2007, 07:59 PM
wow! that's..daft!

a girl i used to work with genuinly believed that the milk that's sold in the shops is 'what the cows don't need'..in that, all the calves get their fill, then the friendly farmers send the rest off for us to drink.

though i was gobstruck at the time over her ignorance, i don't find it that hard to believe that loads of people believe this..advertising obviously works really well. :(

tipsy
May 12th, 2007, 09:51 PM
if i hear one more person say that they love animals but could never be a vegetarian i will go INSANE!:eek: