PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

sugarmouse
May 22nd, 2007, 10:50 PM
:mad: My friend 'I wouldnt have a sex change ever! I LOVE being a woman'
Me ' Me too! Actually I would have a sex change if everyone in the world stopped eating animals though'
Friend 'Really? But ...But... what about all the cows!?'
Me 'What cows? We breed them for food, they don't naturally exist in the numbers they do now!'
Friend 'I know, but if we stopped eating them, then we'd have no cows! Would you want no cows?!'
Me 'I don't want cows on the planet for my own amusement!!!'

Grr.

Bic
May 23rd, 2007, 12:20 AM
Today, a friend who is aiming to become vegetarian for either A)Health or B)To piss off her mother again asked me for advice. She then mentioned that she "has been successfully vegetarian for a few months now, but is still working on giving up fish.".
Successfully?!
I tried to explain to her that being a vegetarian means NO MEAT and she was honestly confused stating that fish weren't meat. I asked her if they were an animal? Yes. Are animals made of meat? Yes. Are fish made of meat? No.
Gah.
A mutual friend butted in to say that she didn't consider fish to be meat either.
A girl I don't know sided up to me and whispered something about slaughtering cows in my ear.

I live in a state that has more "livestock" than people. The people make me sick sometimes.

EDIT: Same friend also questions me about whether or not she should buy only whole grains, frozen or fresh veggies, etc.
WTF does that have to do with anything?

Pisces
May 24th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Someone once asked me if I could use ground spices (having known that I am vegan)! :rolleyes:

Odinsfury
May 24th, 2007, 04:39 AM
A girl I don't know sided up to me and whispered something about slaughtering cows in my ear.

I must say I've never had a female whisper sweet nothings of merciless animal slaughter in my ear. What kind of sick people do we have on this rock?

sandra
May 24th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I agree Odinsfury.........I found that very 'creepy' and disturbing when I read it!

Hemlock
May 30th, 2007, 05:32 PM
A comment from a qualified medical practitioner:

"An unrefined vegan diet is an eating pattern that has no food of
animal origin. Thus, there is no meat, chicken, turkey, cheese, milk, or
eggs. Some vegan diets use fish and some don't".

Anyone on here use fish? *Goes away shaking head in despair*

Manzana
May 30th, 2007, 08:28 PM
i think she got confused with raw foodists (some are vegan some are not and will eat fish, eggs...) (???) (what the hell, i really hope my GP is a bit more knowledgeable)

MLjudochop
May 30th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I used to say that all the time. I hadn't made a true connection and I really didn't see HOW to become a veggie....when I hated vegetables so much. Now, here I am....a die-hard vegan. Who still hates most vegetables. :rolleyes: hehehehehhe~

Haha. That reminds me of my boyfriend. He was raised on meat and dairy products, ONLY! He never ate salad, mixed veggies, or basically any veggies. His mom never cooked them, and he was home schooled so that was all he was really introduced to. Then, when he started going out and doing things on his own, he still didn't eat them because he wasn't used to eating them. Until he met me. The first time my boyfriend ever had a salad was with me. And he loved it. We're vegan now, and he loves all the veggie things I cook for him. The only downfall... when we went to his parent's house to eat after he decided not to consume dead animals anymore, and we brought a salad and some more of "our" foods, his family was dumbfounded. When he didn't put any meat on his plate, his older brother declared, "YOU'RE NOT EATING MEAT? THAT'S UNAMERICAN!" (I'm not kidding.) Then his mom said, "Nope, he doesn't. That's Megan's fault." I'll never forget that day. Thankfully, they're a lot more accepting of it now. Although every time I see his mom, she's always asking me questions with such a look on her face that basically screams "you've ruined my son!" The questions are basically the same things asked time and time again. "So you guys don't even eat FISH?!" "Well, so does this mean I can't make my rotel dip now?" "How will he get his protein?" "You guys don't eat desserts now?!" It's amazing how much people don't know about veganism.

TzevY21
May 30th, 2007, 09:00 PM
"YOU'RE NOT EATING MEAT? THAT'S UNAMERICAN!" (I'm not kidding.) Then his mom said, "Nope, he doesn't. That's Megan's fault."

My girlfriend corrupted me too :) Rather, she went vegan first, I noticed, took a small amount of time to read the literature and digest the argument and have never looked back!!! For all the crap that your bf's parent's might give you, know that he is even more so thankful that you have led him to vegan salvation :D

sugarmouse
May 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Joleen (*the girl I live with) has just bought two persian cats. Granted they were rescues , but she wants to breed from them because they will sell.I overheard her speaking to her fella aboutit.

'I am so exited, imagine how much money I could make, I mean everyone gets their cats neutered and spayed now, so theres a major kitten shortgage!'

Grrr.

Poison Ivy
May 30th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Sugarmouse that's terrible....that kind of attitude infuriates me. Are you going to talk to her about it??

sugarmouse
May 30th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Posion Ivy I know, I wish I could talk to her but she has realy upset me before talkin about issues such as this. about how cows wouldnt exist if we didnteat them etc etc, all she seems to care about is herself, and we used to be really good friends but recently I have become exasperated with her.
. I hope you know the type of person so you dont think I am wimping out, I just dont knw what to say, she will argue black is white...theres no stopping her:(

Its too late now anyways, one of the poor kitties is pregnant.Although when she arrived home tonight and told me that with a big smile on her face, I didnt even try to hide my disgust. I am sure she knows how I feel about animal breeding.
Its a seperae issue but I used to really love Jolene..she was my best friend and I would do anythin for her, and it is only recently I have begun to think otherwise..I actually went out for a walk to get away from her after she said that...I was thinking 'Why do I bother!':mad:

Poison Ivy
May 30th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Of course I don't think you're wimping out....and unfortunately I know exactly the type of person you mean:(

sugarmouse
May 30th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Wherabout in my beloved home county Yorkshire are you :)
offtopic!
Anyways I am so glad you understand! She has upset me this week, an I have spoken to other friends about her who sympathise with me not for that issue, btu just the way she is in general, she will invent anything to support her own satisfaction. Grr why are folk like that! ((hugs))

Fyvel
May 31st, 2007, 12:00 AM
Joleen (*the girl I live with) has just bought two persian cats. Granted they were rescues , but she wants to breed from them because they will sell.I overheard her speaking to her fella aboutit.

What kind of rescue adopts out intact animals? Or was this not a rescue from a rescue group? How does she know they aren't brother & sister?

sugarmouse
May 31st, 2007, 06:23 PM
I only have half the story, but I will ask her again when I see her.
Her mothers' partner owns a farm, and he had the cats given tohim when they were neglected by their owner. (and they were neglected, there is a very long haired black boy, and he was COVERED in hair balls :( so tightly matted to his skin... it was horrible. the little white one wasnt so bad although both were riddled with fleas.
They are both very young. One of the first things I asked her was are they brother and sister and she says no but I am not sure how she knows this. Anyways, the farm owner was to sell them, and Jolene bought them. They live mostly in one room at the massive farmhouse. They dont go out, and the room is very cold (I have been once) and dark.Jolene tells me the farmer lets them out of an evening, into the rest of the house but I am unsure aboutthat, the farm dogs do not like them. I overheard her discussing with her fella last night abotu gettina hot water bottle and a big box for the girl to give birth in (she is only a kitten herself bless her:( ) and cringed..I have in the past told her to fetch the cats to my house, at least then theyll have company ( theres three of us live here ) and lots of room to run and play but she says she doesnt trust that they will not get out. and does not trust that they will have somewhere nice to sleep (?!)
I was confused at that comment aswell :(
Jolene moved in here after I got rid of the current lodger so she could move in, she was in a dodgy situation at the time.
She is currently speaking abotu movin in with her boyfriend, she does not work or anything.. I am so worried abotu the future of these pussies:(

Fyvel
Jun 1st, 2007, 01:25 AM
It definitely sounds like a strange situation. Perhaps you could continue to try to talk her out of breeding them? Maybe comvince her to go to the local shelter and talk to the workers there? I bet she would get an earful from them if she let her intentions be known!

Manzana
Jun 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM
she should definitely pay a visit to a shelter... they are so depressing... then you can tell her that her "high demand" kittens are taking potential rescued cats owners out of the "market"

sugarmouse
Jun 1st, 2007, 04:22 PM
I did tell her, before the kittie was pregnant, that I didnt agree with breeding because of the amount of unwanted animals.Another friend told me I wil be wasting my breath because all she cares about is th money she can get from them:(
I am going to look up some statistics to refrsh my knowledge and use as substance :(

Linxie
Jun 13th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I've been vegan for a couple of months now and have been surprised by some of the negative comments I have had. I had been an extremely strict vegetarian (inc not wearing leather etc) for 15 years and I don't remember getting many negative comments about that. Maybe I have just blocked them out of my mind! Anyway, the first conversation took place with my friends Mum in a shopping centre (she is vegetarian but I am not sure why as she doesn't seem to like animals!?)

Me: If we pass Hotel Chocolat can I pop in? I love some of their chocolates.
Her: You can't eat choclate if you are vegan
Me: I can eat some plain chocolates as they don't all have milk products in
Her: Yes they do
Me: No they don't, not all of them.
My friend: Thats why they call it plain chocolate and not milk chocolate!
Her: Well I don't believe you, I think you are just trying to make yourself feel better because you can't give up chocolate
Me: Hotel Chocolat even labels up which of their chocolates are vegan
Her: I don't believe you!

What are you meant to do with that!?!? Later on she also said that my job for an animal welfare charity sounded like a "waste of time".

And then at the weekend I went to a cricket match with some people I don't know. My sister mentioned that I am vegan and the woman sat behind me said "Well that can't be good for you". I wouldn't have minded if it weren't for that fact that her and her husband were overweight (husband was probably clinically obese) and they spent the day drinking beer and eating pork pies and sausages and scotch eggs etc... while I was happily munching on salad and fruit and hummus and falafel. What on earth made her think it was ok to judge me on my healthy diet!??! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

BlackCats
Jun 13th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Linxie - I think your friend's Mum is a bit jealous because she thinks that she couldn't be as disciplined as you.
I have had people crow triumphantly at me when they see me eat something like chocolate because they think I have broken 'my vegan code'.
I just ask them what they think the main ingredient in chocolate is and how they think it possibly could be vegan? ( or just punch them - no I don't really)

I wonder if those ignorant people at cricket match would have appreciated it if you had walked up to them and started telling them what their diet is doing to their body? - I don't think they would like it.

Manzana
Jun 13th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Hi Linxie,

I tend to be a bit intense with these things... I think sometomes people need to know when they are being plain rude and judgemental... for example:

I think you are within your right to question their diet if they are questioning yours... i.e.
Woman: Well that can't be good for you
You: And I guess eating pork pies and having a BMI over 25 is good for you

I think that would end the conversation...

Or in the first case:
Her: You can't eat choclate if you are vegan
You: I am so glad to see that you have now become a vegan expert... Hotel Chocolat even labels up which of their chocolates are vegan
Her: I don't believe you!
You: I guess that is a problem you'll have to deal with. Feel free to check the labels and the ingredients.

Hemlock
Jun 13th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I am constantly amazed by my patients, ok it is my job to try and impart some health advice but when you get a 30 stone person in who say their feet hurt and they want me to "do something" about it. I examine the feet and there is nothing wrong with them whatsoever other than they are screaming for release from the weight above - said patient shouts at me for suggesting they lose weight and want to know why everyone is picking on them.
We discuss diet - I say how much my diet has helped me lose weight and get fit and they reply that vegans are unhealthy:confused:

I had a terribly obese diabetic in today who mentioned his son was a veggie. I asked if they had discussed the diet at all - he said yes, his grandson said a veggie should eat no more than one or two portions of chicken and fish a week:confused:

My patients would rather drop dead than give up junk food and cholesterol laden meats - and in fact they often do!

My days at work are totally filled with a never ending stream of obese people with diet related diseases like diabetes and heart disease who expect me to perform miracles for them without them having to lift a finger - mothers wanting their kids under 10 for example to have gastric surgery for obesity!

I find it utterley depressing, I see hundreds of these people, how many more are there out there:(

Yogini
Jun 13th, 2007, 06:10 PM
My patients would rather drop dead than give up junk food and cholesterol laden meats - and in fact they often do!

My days at work are totally filled with a never ending stream of obese people with diet related diseases like diabetes and heart disease who expect me to perform miracles for them without them having to lift a finger - mothers wanting their kids under 10 for example to have gastric surgery for obesity!

Lose weight by eating better and getting a spot of exercise? No, no, no, that won't work. There must be a better way. :mad: :confused: :(

Hemlock
Jun 13th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I know - ridiculous isn't it, I should be ashamed of myself for suggesting it:D