PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

emzy1985
Oct 1st, 2007, 06:47 AM
A vegan :D

BlackCats
Oct 1st, 2007, 07:13 AM
:D

Mahk
Oct 1st, 2007, 07:21 AM
Don't make light of it. It happens:
http://www.mdf.ru/i/photo/003/3185.jpg

emzy1985
Oct 1st, 2007, 10:41 AM
Two incidents today:

Breakfast time at work I deliberately didn't bring breakfast to work cuz I fancied beans on toast. When I get to the canteen I find that the beans have sausages in them. I ask why they have put sausages in the beans and they say that it is ok cuz they are veggie sausages. I say that I can't eat them cuz they have egg in. The response was well you will just have to eat them. To that I picked up an apple and walked off.

Second incident is kinda related. Sitting back in my office starving. A driver comes in and says he heard about the incident in the canteen. He said I should just eat it if I was hungry. I told him I would rather go hungry and it wasn't my fault people were ignorant. He then pulled out a cheese sandwich and offered me a bite. I asked him if he released that a vegan doesn't eat anything from animals. He said "oh yes I remember!" To which he pulled to tomatos out of his sandwich and offered them to me.

Need I say more?

Kitteh
Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:26 AM
That's stupid.

I don't mind saying I am vegan, the other day I refused some milk chocolate and was asked if it was because I am lactose intol? I said no, vegan which then started a discussion on how I can be vegan because the Bible says I should eat meat..... perhaps I should have fibbed and said yes to being lactose intol?! lol :P

eclectic_one
Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
So then came the reply, "well animals agreed to their life before they were born, therefore its ok to eat them."
OK, I know that person was being silly, but I read about reincarnation a while back when reading about lucid dreaming (long story;)) and people do not choose to come back as animals. For some who believe in reincarnation, the first "heaven"/afterlife is actually "fake"--like a dream--and starts to disintegrate into a terrifying nightmare unless you realize it. If you don't realize this is "fake" heaven, your spirit flies "screaming" back down to earth and whatever animal you fly btwn (while the animals are mating), then you become it. In other words, in your freaked-out mindset, you are re-in-carnated (put back in the "meat") because you're not watching where you're going. There is a "karma" aspect too--whether the animals you "get btwn" are human or non-human--but it's pretty much not a conscious choice on the animal/person's part.

howdawg
Oct 3rd, 2007, 11:34 PM
The Jews also have a tradition of reincarnation where every Jewish soul is passed on until the end of time...It is believed that under certain circumstances, a soul who was particularly rotten as a human can be passed unto an animals body in the next life... But again, this is not a choice.

emzy1985
Oct 4th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I hate the God answer! I always just say that I don't believe in your God so I am immune to his supposed rules.

sindii
Oct 5th, 2007, 06:35 AM
@emzy1985 i know how you feel. i've just started a new job 3weeks ago and im already getting sick of the smart ass comments people keep making about me being vegan. They are so simple mindid and really don't give a care about other creatures.

I also refused to join the union because they setup days out at the horses and dog racing and then I got some stick and people coming back with that's what they are meant to be doing etc. Uneducated fools.

Finally I was asked if i was against fox hunting, obviously, then this lad, only 17, said he was for it. He decided for some reason to pull up a chair next to me and say he doesn't dislike vegans but his family and him had hunted all their lifes and that he hoped i wouldn't fall out with him but fox hunting needed to be done. By this point the poor lad was sweating and looked nervous as i glazed through him with a nasty stare (the fact he knows im a pro boxer helped). I think he realises i won't speak to him now if i don't have to.

It really bugs when they keep asking me what im eating and how i can survive without meat. Im usually superfit, lean and look very healthy. They are the exact opposite. I just wanna come back with something but just tell em i don't wanna discuss it.

emzy1985
Oct 5th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Sindii - I've got to the point now where I very rarely open up an argument with anyone about veganism. Last night my housemate started abit and I just told him that he would lose the argument and for that reason I did not want to have it:D

As for being into boxing...that would be sooooo awesome! Me & my gf play fight night on xbox 24/7. Shame we expert gamers and not boxers ay?

sindii
Oct 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
emzy1985 - Im actually like that, I just tell them I don't want to discuss it as you will come back with something stupid and try to prove me wrong, so just try to avoid it.

Boxing is awesome and being a superfit vegan proves people wrong that i dont need to eat living creatures.

angelamc
Oct 7th, 2007, 08:42 AM
I was telling someone I met the other day that I am vegan and he gave me the same, rude spiel about how he didn't get it, could never give up meat, I'm crazy, blah blah...So I told him "Oh, well I forgot to tell you that I do still eat the skin of animals. I find skin to be extra delicious and an essential part of my diet. Infact, sometimes I even chew just a bit on my own skin when I'm really hungry in class." :eek: He believed me and said that was the most disgusting thing he had ever heard of! Well, duh, that's disgusting! I told him that I was just kidding, but the way he feels about eating skin is the same way I feel about eating all meat. Now, he's a little bit more polite!:p

BlackCats
Oct 7th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Funny angelamc.:p

harpy
Oct 7th, 2007, 11:35 AM
:D That's brilliant, Angela.

pavotrouge
Oct 7th, 2007, 02:17 PM
well done, angela!

emzy1985
Oct 7th, 2007, 04:59 PM
As the title says - Omnis are so silly!

pavotrouge
Oct 7th, 2007, 06:19 PM
just had to share this... the top ten of sillieness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UtPPmQazT8&mode=related&search=

Mahk
Oct 8th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Funny video. Thanks.

Memma33
Oct 8th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Not to mention coffee from beans eaten by a cat and excreted!

I'm not kidding. It's real, although sounds like an urban legend.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Get-Best-Shit-Coffee-41981.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civet_coffee

Yeah it's true - there's an historic tea rooms up here (North QLD - Australia) that sell this coffee - $50 a cup! poor kitties

Memma33
Oct 8th, 2007, 01:45 AM
That's stupid.

I don't mind saying I am vegan, the other day I refused some milk chocolate and was asked if it was because I am lactose intol? I said no, vegan which then started a discussion on how I can be vegan because the Bible says I should eat meat..... perhaps I should have fibbed and said yes to being lactose intol?! lol :P

Does anyone get the whole speel of "humans were meant to eat meat, otherwise we wouldn't have developed our brain capacities". Has anyone seen those awful Sam Neil ads?

Mahk
Oct 8th, 2007, 03:30 AM
How odd. I just saw it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBhdqrdN4zg

or if that didn't work:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBhdqrdN4zg

I don't think it plays outside of Australia, but I had heard about it before. There's another one set in a butcher shop also. Search for: "sam neil meat".

It's weird how he seems so defensive about the whole thing as his eyes avert a direct gaze into the camera after the little girl's statement [which I can't quite make out: "But here it says , blah-blah-blah" ] The awkward segue to the dancing at the end seems like an intentional diversion from discussing the factual truth.... Is it just me or did other people sense that?

edit: I googled it. No wonder I couldn't make out what she says,"But here it says Homo Rudolfensis (http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761587486/Homo_habilis.html)." I'm glad my hearing's not going.

Gee, Sam Neil, I wonder if this transitional stage in homo sapien's development also lead to the introduction of slavery, rape and murder? Thanks, meat! NOT!:rolleyes:

Also, anyone who doesn't believe how much "veganphobia" there is out there just read the viewer comments after the video.

angelamc
Oct 8th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Wow. I had never seen that Sam Neil video before. Very disappointing. It seems to me that most celebrities who promote a cause are usually promoting something more liberal/progressive/humanitarian like environmentalism, PETA, stop genocide, ect. Why does red meat need a promo, anyway? It's very popular!

emzy1985
Oct 8th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Wow. I had never seen that Sam Neil video before. Very disappointing. It seems to me that most celebrities who promote a cause are usually promoting something more liberal/progressive/humanitarian like environmentalism, PETA, stop genocide, ect. Why does red meat need a promo, anyway? It's very popular!

Apparently there has been a slump in consumption in the last five years with the amount of people going veggie and vegan according to viva!

crimson~noir
Oct 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I had a patient in today - she said her niece is marrying a vegan and her neice has decided to go vegan to support her new husband. I said that's nice I'm a vegan too.
Knowing I am a vegan she went on to say how they invited her round for a meal and she said it was, "awful, tasteless food just like sawdust" and spent the rest of the session going on about how dreadful vegan food is.
How rude :mad:

Two things wrong with that 1. that women clearly has no tact and 2. why do they judge all vegans as the same, I have had nice meals pre vegan at some ones house and bad at others that doesn't mean I think all non vegans can't cook?? Its so weird and I have to say I have had some of the nicest meals as a vegan or veggie as folk tend to use more spices/herbs and it tastes natural (Ok I maybe biased)

I was having an argument completely unrelated to veganism with a woman at work the other day, and out of nowhere she blind sides me with "Well at least I'm not afraid a hamburger's gonna kill me."

I simply stated that it's not fear which motivates me in that regard.

I have had that one it makes no sense, yes we don't eat meat because we think it will chase us down the street straight of the bun!!

Part of my reasons for going vegan is due to my religion but even so I would see no problem with quoting that when ordering food or saying I had allergies as a little lie to keep the 3 hour convo at bay when all I want is to is eat!!

But washing with fat is nasty, even through my non veggie stage I used vegan type soap because it smells nasty other wise.

veganpixie
Oct 9th, 2007, 12:04 AM
OMG!!! I had to read this statement 3 times before I could digest it! All this time when I'd hear an omni making the stupid argument statement that plants feel pain and we should be concerned that we're cutting off the heads of cauliflower, broccoli, and tomatoes, I thought they were kidding and just mocking veg*ns, but I'm starting to think that maybe they're just stupid or painfully stupidly ignorant, which I guess is possible too. I started a thread about vegetarianism on another forum and there's been a lot of stupid debating and back and forth comments, but this really got to me.

(This was my statement.)
It's true - animals have a nervous sytem. Vegetables do not have a nervous system.
(This was the lame stupid response.)
and you base this on what studies? I admit I havent studied it either but obviously some people with qualifications have.

...Granted, we veg*ns often need to substantiate what we say, but please my gawd, this really takes the cake here! Are omnis really that stupid or are they joking or what?! I can't wrap my head around this and I feel like I'm in the twilight zone or I'm losing my mind or both! What do you think? Please help. :confused: I'm totally lost here.