PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Hemlock
Dec 13th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Idiotic reply to a post of mine on a pagan forum today. The post was entitled should pagans be vegetarian and I put in my penny worth about veganism in a nice non preachy way. One of the replies:

"Just to be balanced: Less forest is destroyed for cattle and sheep farming, which can graze in hilly, inaccessible areas where vegetables cannot grow, than is removed for commercial farming catering to vegetarians such as soy, palm oil and grains".

How can somebody be this stupid and yet still live:rolleyes: It defies belief!!!

pavotrouge
Dec 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM
it's because the human racy seems to have the law of survival of the fittest... aren't the dumb destined to go extinct?!

Hemlock
Dec 15th, 2007, 11:29 AM
it's because the human racy seems to have the law of survival of the fittest... aren't the dumb destined to go extinct?!

I do hope so, this woman thinks vegetarians are responsible for the destruction of the rain forest because we so selfishly eat too much soya!!!

Manzana
Dec 15th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Hemlock, I hope u mentioned in that forum that 90% of soya is consumed by animals?!?! ANd that palm oil is in everything (oreo biscuits, soaps...) not just vegan margarine... Stupid people!!

Hemlock
Dec 15th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Hemlock, I hope u mentioned in that forum that 90% of soya is consumed by animals?!?! ANd that palm oil is in everything (oreo biscuits, soaps...) not just vegan margarine... Stupid people!!

Yup! I spent an hour gathering scientific data to hit her over the head with :)

Manzana
Dec 15th, 2007, 04:38 PM
yay!!! :D I love it!!!

emzy1985
Dec 16th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Hemlock it defys belief that pagans, people of the eartg, eat meat at all. I've given up with the pagan community to be honest. Pagans who are blind to the truth, no matter what you tell them, are not worth my time.
Some woman on a pagan forum said to me once that most pagan rituals have some sort of meat eating involved so the Goddess/God must want us to eat meat. NB pagan rituals only have meat in them because humans put it there lol

sugarmouse
Dec 16th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Exactly Emzy! This is why I decided to leave any wiccan/pagan societies and go it alone.I feel much better this way.

Hemlock
Dec 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I have to say I don't have much to do with pagans any more as the most critical of our way of life are all vastly overweight and expect me to justify my veganism to the nth degree :confused: We belong to a coven in Wales who are all vegetarians or vegans.
Pagans tend to be stuck in the mindset of times past when we needed to hunt for food - fair enough, you did what you needed to do to stay alive thousands of years ago, what they don't seem to have grasped is that going to the supermarket to buy factory farmed meat does not qualify as either hunting or survival in todays overfed society.

crazy_4_veg
Dec 16th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Personally I find it rather odd of any pagan eating meat or any other product that harms an animal. I thought that the gratest rule is you can do whatever you want so long as you harm none (or something along those lines). Surely the rule means humans and animals alike meaning at the very least they should be veggie most likely vegan though :confused:. I'm very sure that's how it's ment to be interpreted (sp?). I would be very cinical of a meat eating pagan. I knew one that now works in a CHURCH and eats meat so not only does she harm animals she is commiting a 'sin' to her religion by working in a church :rolleyes: (not very pagan I'm sure). She is very unorthadox in a lot of her religious ways and I wouldn't say she is pagan to be honest as she had harmed a lot of people I know as well as me.

I do think pagans are amazing people over all but it's those who say they are to be labeled for the sake of it just like people who are christian for the sake of it.

sugarmouse
Dec 17th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I see myself as pagan in my overall way of being.And I agree the harming none thing is central to that being, and therefore eating meat is out.I do my best for life and living and freedom of pain and suffering.And I think that is what paganism (whether it is wiccan, druid/celtic/unorthodox or whatever, should be all about.

emzy1985
Dec 17th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I see myself as pagan in my overall way of being.And I agree the harming none thing is central to that being, and therefore eating meat is out.I do my best for life and living and freedom of pain and suffering.And I think that is what paganism (whether it is wiccan, druid/celtic/unorthodox or whatever, should be all about.

I agree entirely!

As for the silly things omnis say:

Omni: Bet you would eat all this chocolate if I left it here wouldn't you?
ME: No mate I'm vegan so I don't eat things from animals.
OMNI: I've never seen a chocolate cow before?
ME: No I mean the milk because it comes from an animal I won't drink/eat it.
OMNI: Well it's only natural!
ME: We are the only species on earth to drink another animals milk.
OMNI: Well my cat drinks milk!
ME: (Thinking fucking cats are lactose intolerant fool!!!) That is human induced.
OMNI: What about the story of the dogs who had pigs milk at a farm.
ME: The operative word there is farm!

He looked at me perplexed and I just said to him that it was also human induced and that no animal would ever drink another animals milk as it was unnatural. He laughed at me out loud and hysterically and walked off!

pavotrouge
Dec 17th, 2007, 05:24 PM
the cats drink milk argument is so ridiculous. which cat would milk a cow by itself?

I quite often get as a reply that there are also animals that eat other species' eggs- what's a killer argument for this?!

Manzana
Dec 17th, 2007, 06:27 PM
how about: Mice eat their own shit sometimes (this is true, I have seen it) so what? Fancy eating some chicken periods??? then go ahead and do it!

Haniska
Dec 18th, 2007, 02:28 AM
"Just to be balanced: Less is destroyed for cattle and sheep farming, which can graze in hilly, inaccessible areas where vegetables cannot grow, than is removed for commercial farming catering to vegetarians such as soy, palm oil and grains".

You know, I hear this a lot. (I remove the "forest" because I don't hear that part.) It sounds pretty reasonable to me:confused: Not as a good argument of course, but there being hilly inaccessible areas where "vegetables" do not grow but cattle can graze seems likely to me. There are fields of cattle in Albuquerque that live off of scraggly bits of whatever tumbleweeds are made of.

Jiffy
Dec 18th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Before I became vegan and was 'only' vegetarian I was really rather overweight

(I had a really bad cheese habit going on and took little exercise for many years).

My late Father-in-law came out with "he must be eating meat in secret, you can't get fat just eating vegetables"

Blue moon
Dec 21st, 2007, 02:46 PM
I quite often get as a reply that there are also animals that eat other species' eggs- what's a killer argument for this?!

I use the same as the "animals kill" one... they don't keep & breed them specifically for this etc. Besides, a natural predator might find one lot, then the birds would re lay another clutch and they'd probably survive

Andy
Dec 24th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Obviously a lot of us have the same conversations over and over, here are some of the more unusual ones:

Said to my mum:
"I'd rather my son choose to be gay than vegetarian"
(where to you even start replying too that? lol)

Brother: All these farm animals wouldn't even be born if we didn't eat them.
Me: Yeah, they wouldn't be born into suffering and needlessly slaughtered just because they taste nice.
Brother: Well if you want to end suffering you should go and shoot people living in the 3rd world because they suffer too.

Nurse: So if you were the prime minister would you ban meat?
Me: Yes
Nurse: Then i'd just smuggle it onto the country! (getting annoyed lol)
Me: Then i'd just put you in prison
Nurse:You can't do that!
Me: Hey, you just made me the imaginary prime minister, I can do what I like :D

Friend: Why can't vegetarians just eat like "normal" people?

Can't wait for conversations about veganism, bet they will be even funnier :D

Jiffy
Dec 24th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Friend: Why can't vegetarians just eat like "normal" people?

Can't wait for conversations about veganism, bet they will be even funnier :D

Funny you should say that, I have just been on the receiving end of a similar utterance from my wife. This is my first Christmas as a vegan, it has become something of a tradition that on Chrismas Eve we usually have Pizza delivered as a bit of a treat so nobody has to cook.

Well not surprisingly, I'm having to abstain as I can't see the local Pizza Hut rising to the challenge of providing a vegan pizza.

My 'punishment' for being 'awkward' is having to eat some leftover soya mince from when she cooked spaghetti earlier this week with some rice whilst they tuck in to pizza. I think I'll cook my own Christmas Eve meal next year.

Merry Christmas

Healthy
Dec 24th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure if this falls into the category, but I've noticed that a lot of people (not all) who are meat-eaters are the types who gossip and reek with negativity. While people who, if not vegans but maybe into wholistic health, meditation, spirituality or yoga are so much more positive.

Does anyone experience this in their lives?

I think my New Year's resolution is to be cordial, but not overly friendly towards people unless they pass the "peace" test ;)

It sounds judgmental on my part, but it also ages you and drains your health to deal with bullshit from people who don't want to better themselves.

It's so sad that making fun of people, badmouthing, criticizing food and dwelling on illnesses are the bulk of a lot of folk's conversations.

Whatever happened to talking about music, fun events, books, movies?

:(

Manzana
Dec 25th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Funny you should say that, I have just been on the receiving end of a similar utterance from my wife. This is my first Christmas as a vegan, it has become something of a tradition that on Chrismas Eve we usually have Pizza delivered as a bit of a treat so nobody has to cook.

Well not surprisingly, I'm having to abstain as I can't see the local Pizza Hut rising to the challenge of providing a vegan pizza.

My 'punishment' for being 'awkward' is having to eat some leftover soya mince from when she cooked spaghetti earlier this week with some rice whilst they tuck in to pizza. I think I'll cook my own Christmas Eve meal next year.

Merry Christmas

cheeseless calzone can be good?

pavotrouge
Dec 25th, 2007, 11:54 PM
yep, and why order from a nasty corporation such as pizza hut when Greater London has got the best Italian place outside Italy?

emzy1985
Dec 26th, 2007, 06:57 AM
I didn't know where to write this so I'm gonna write it here cuz it was a thing that a meat eater did.

I cooked xmas lunch yesterday for the biggest meateater on the planet. We had roast potatoes, brocolli, parsnips, carrots, gravy, redwoods celebration box (tofurky slices and sausages wrapped in bacon) and big balls of stuffing. He didn't leave a single scrap and said he loved it!
Later on that evening he gave me an "adoption" certificate for an orangutang rescue centre and a G&Bs chocolate cooking set. I couldn't believe how thoughtful he was. I was almost in tears! I didn't buy anyone any xmas presents this year because I have the prospect of running a house I cannot afford when my arsehole housemate leaves in feb and I need the money to pay for his half of the rent...grr! Rant over and filled with joy at the thoughtfulness of my friend!

Roxy
Dec 26th, 2007, 07:05 AM
That was really lovely Emzy!

Well here's one. I have an aunt who is one these "animal loving meat-eaters". Recently she was telling me how she reallllllly loves animals, but that she just couldn't give up eating meat.

Well on Christmas morning, my grandma left the back screen door open, and the neighbour's cat came into the house and made its way on to my aunt's bed, while she was still sleeping. She woke up and there was this cat, sitting on her bed. She screamed, the cat went running and she then had to wash her sheets, the bed and her beside table :rolleyes: and called my family to tell them she wasn't coming to Christmas lunch because she was so upset (she changed her mind later).

Then on the phone later she told me, that if she ever saw that cat again she would pour boiling water over it :eek:

I was so sickened. Weather she meant it or not, what a sick thing to say. Thank god she doesn't have kids!!

RubyDuby
Dec 26th, 2007, 05:35 PM
all bc a cat was on her bed? what a drama queen. :rolleyes:
I'd think that would be a nice thing to wake up to.

One of my meat eating co-workers sent the Meet Your Meat video to another co-worker, who in turn showed a bunch of other people I work with. I wasn't really in the conversation. I was just passing by punching out, but one of the girls was really upset by it talking about how horrible it was that people treat animals that way. I asked her if she was a vegetarian and she said she ate chicken, so I said chickens are one of the most abused animals.

She replied, "but I eat them"... very non-chalant like.

can't argue with that...