PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

harpy
Dec 28th, 2007, 08:15 PM
On Christmas day there was some animal programme on French television (someone had a pet guinea fowl and appeared to be cleaning its wattles with a toothbrush :rolleyes:), and my aunt said the French had got a lot nicer about animals recently, so I was forced to ask if they'd stopped eating them. A bit ungracious of me seeing they did subsequently produce this all-vegan lunch for everyone, not just me.

missbettie
Dec 28th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Ruby, that's a great idea, ordering pizza without cheese, but do you ever just pull the cheese off of the pizza, or is that too disgusting because the cheese already touched the pizza?

people always ask me that and I reply with "can I poop in your food then? you can just take it off the top." lol its just me though i suppose some vegan would be content with just taking if off though, guess its just a personal preference.

sponge
Dec 28th, 2007, 08:49 PM
people always ask me that and I reply with "can I poop in your food then?

:)

Melanie
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:13 PM
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
KILL ME NOW PLEASE.

Ahem, sorry about that.
I'm at home for a week or so because it's Xmas and all week it's been a constant free for all in terms of shouting abuse at me :(
They took me to a bloody carvery today for goodness sake.

-SIGH-
I'm planning on moving to Brighton once i've finished my degree (2009), anyone wanna put up with me/tell me a good place to rent..!?

RubyDuby
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Ruby, that's a great idea, ordering pizza without cheese, but do you ever just pull the cheese off of the pizza, or is that too disgusting because the cheese already touched the pizza?

I mean, I'm not allergic to cheese, or disgusted by cheese. In fact I used to love cheese... I just don't see the point in throwing it away, or even having someone else eat it. It isn't about health for me. It's about not supporting those industries that abuse animals. Pulling it off would encourage them to buy another cheesy pizza.

pavotrouge
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:24 PM
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
KILL ME NOW PLEASE.

Ahem, sorry about that.
I'm at home for a week or so because it's Xmas and all week it's been a constant free for all in terms of shouting abuse at me :(
They took me to a bloody carvery today for goodness sake.

-SIGH-
I'm planning on moving to Brighton once i've finished my degree (2009), anyone wanna put up with me/tell me a good place to rent..!?

sorry to hear about your family Melanie (((HUGS)))

talk to me in the summer of 2009, I'll be finished by then as well and will move to the UK. Brighton sounds like a great alternative to London to me ;)

Melanie
Dec 28th, 2007, 10:42 PM
-Huggles pavo- Thank-you sweetheart.

-Grins- I'll do that ;)

emmy
Dec 28th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I get so annoyed when people say "CAN'T you eat that, either?" like someone has given me a big list of rules that I must abide by or else. I CAN eat anything I damn well want; I just choose not to!! ARGH!

On Christmas Eve, an aunt who I haven't seen for ages started asking me why I was vegan. So I politely replied that it was for ethical and health reasons...and left it at that as we were eating (there were meat and fish dishes on the table that I could have talked in depth about, but I thought better of it :D). She started going off on one about how misinformed I am, because she works for a trading standards place and she goes to the slaughterhouses and farms and checks conditions. I asked her how she could possibly think that eating meat was OK after watching the animals being slaughtered and she said that it was because it was all ethically done etc.....wtf?! Apparently we should just be blaming "bad practice" for some places, and tucking in to everything else. Ugh. I could have said so much in response, I gave in and shut up, wish I hadn't but in a sense I know I have the "moral high ground" so to speak after eating nice vegan food rather than all the crap she demolished.

RubyDuby
Dec 28th, 2007, 11:35 PM
you can justify anything if you want to badly enough.

emmy
Dec 28th, 2007, 11:36 PM
yep, that's certainly true, Ruby!
it makes me wonder how the industry she is working for (a supposedly "ethical" one) can be brainwashing workers into believing what they are seeing is all perfectly acceptable.

missbettie
Dec 28th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Whenever people talk about places they feel animals are being treated well, I just say that they still get killed in the end for human comsumption, and I choose not to take part in that. I refuse to argue with people when I know I am right.

emmy
Dec 29th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Whenever people talk about places they feel animals are being treated well, I just say that they still get killed in the end for human comsumption, and I choose not to take part in that. I refuse to argue with people when I know I am right.

That's the conclusion I came too. I shut up, even though it was highly frustrating.

She kept saying as well that these animals wouldn't exist if they weren't there to be eaten. As if that justifies it :confused: I'm used to the "we'd be over-run by cows if we didn't kill them" ignorance...but this was even more ridiculous! She was trying to justify the slaughter since they are born to be slaughtered.

Right! :eek:

Healthy
Dec 31st, 2007, 06:16 PM
I'm so sick of hearing that vegan food tastes like "cardboard."

Thank god I had the balls to speak up and say, "Well that's because you were eating food with chemicals in it. I eat REAL FOOD."

Shut that person right up!

People just don't GET that vegan isn't all about faux meat, it's about gourmet cooking, gourmet raw foods, over 10,000 varieties of fresh fruit.

Do people live in a cave???? Don't people have any creative bones in their bodies? Don't people have any imagination?????

And thank god I have a boyfriend who appreciates vegan cuisine and will tell anyone how great vegan food tastes (even though he's not a vegan himself, I'm positive he will be one day). Actually it sounds more convincing coming from someone who occasionally eats meat to say that vegan food tastes good.

Hemlock
Dec 31st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Emmy, people often try that one on me when all I want to do is enjoy my friends' company and a good meal so I'm afraid I have become quite rude and say, "I don't wish to hear a half hour rant from you on my lifestyle right now, I'm here to enjoy everyones company and enjoy the good food", then I turn away and start talking to someone else. That shuts them up I can assure you.

missbettie
Dec 31st, 2007, 08:24 PM
thats pretty snazzy hemlock, i think I shall use that one as well.

pavotrouge
Jan 1st, 2008, 01:47 PM
I've taken to being rude when people want to "discuss" veganism when it's not appropriate as well. maybe not a way to make friends, but it prevents yourself from ranting.

Joeybee
Jan 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
My friend chloe, bless her "Fish only have three second memories so they cannot feel any pain!"

harpy
Jan 1st, 2008, 03:37 PM
My friend chloe, bless her "Fish only have three second memories so they cannot feel any pain!"

(1) It's not true about their memories:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/10/03/nfish03.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/10/03/ixhome.html

(2) What's memory got to do with pain?

Not sure if it's worth arguing though!

pavotrouge
Jan 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
... right... and babies, some disabled and many old people have a bad memory, too. why not eat them?

(sorry, I'm so fed up with that at the moment)

emzy1985
Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:34 AM
Ho hum and a another new years eve party has passed!

Dude: I think we should get pizza...I've got munchies bad!
Me: Can we get Papa Johns because I can eat the pizza there.
Dude: So vegan pizza is just like tomatoey pizza bread right?
Me: Yeh pretty much. Sometimes I have soya cheese on it but to be honest I prefer it without it.
Dude: So your telling me you don't have carcuss or rape on your pizza? (my friends have taken to calling animal products the same things I have btw)
Me: Nope
Dude: But what is a pizza without carcuss? Carcuss is sooooo good!
Me: Maybe for you!
Dude: But it is...
ME: NO REALLY IT IS NOT!

The thing is this dude is taking quantum physhics as a degree yet he cannot understand why I don't eat animal products. He deliberately started the argument to try and get me going.The thing is if I had wanted to I coulda wiped the floor with him and all the other omis in the room but I chose not too, yet he and they were willing to spoil my new years eve, infact set out to do so! Why do they always do that? In the end I didn't have pizza I had chips...all their pizzas came wrong and cold and I sat there and stuffed my face with a big grin! (this has happened at least ten times now muhahahahaha!)

Roxy
Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:46 AM
The thing is this dude is taking quantum physhics as a degree yet he cannot understand why I don't eat animal products.

Isn't that like the What The Bleep stuff, that he's studying?

emzy1985
Jan 2nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Isn't that like the What The Bleep stuff, that he's studying?

What is that?

Zero
Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:54 PM

Have a look on Gumtree for places to rent in Brighton, there is usually quite a few on there, I know a few people there, mostly raw vegans as movement there is great, lots of vegans in general.
There is a great grocery/health food store called Infinity Foods, all Organic produce and lots of lovely vegan food! :D

Zero
Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
What is that?

"What the 'bleep' do we know?" It's a movie, in 10 parts on youtube but I think you can watch it on google video too.

A lot of it is grounded in quantum physics, however it does make a large number of assumptions and many of the speakers in don't have a professional background in science.

It raises some very good ideas about how our thoughts influence the world around us, very entertaining and interesting.

puca
Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
Have a look on Gumtree for places to rent in Brighton, there is usually quite a few on there, I know a few people there, mostly raw vegans as movement there is great, lots of vegans in general.
There is a great grocery/health food store called Infinity Foods, all Organic produce and lots of lovely vegan food! :D
I've considered Brighton if I can afford it... I've heard that there's loadsa vegan places there and that it's nice to live.