PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Haniska
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:17 AM
She started going off on one about how misinformed I am, because she works for a trading standards place and she goes to the slaughterhouses and farms and checks conditions. I asked her how she could possibly think that eating meat was OK after watching the animals being slaughtered and she said that it was because it was all ethically done etc.....wtf?! Apparently we should just be blaming "bad practice" for some places, and tucking in to everything else. Ugh. I could have said so much in response, I gave in and shut up, wish I hadn't but in a sense I know I have the "moral high ground" so to speak after eating nice vegan food rather than all the crap she demolished.

If we needed to eat meat it would be another story. We don't need to eat meat to live and therefore the act of killing an animal is atrocious.

Roxy
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:30 AM
"What the 'bleep' do we know?" It's a movie, in 10 parts on youtube but I think you can watch it on google video too.

A lot of it is grounded in quantum physics, however it does make a large number of assumptions and many of the speakers in don't have a professional background in science.

It raises some very good ideas about how our thoughts influence the world around us, very entertaining and interesting.

Thanks zero :)

Emzy.....what he said ;):D

Alphabette
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:47 AM
A lot of it is grounded in quantum physics, however it does make a large number of assumptions and many of the speakers in don't have a professional background in science.

Actually, most of the speakers have advanced degrees in physics, medicine, quantum mechanics, etc. The reason they don't identify the interviewees is to minimize the observer effect (people have been shown to be more influenced when presented with "professional" opinions).

I thought this was a fantastic movie--until I started doing some research into the good folks behind it. It's linked to a 'cult' that is led by a 'spirit being' named Ramtha--the spirit is male, but the 'host' is female and is the one who spoke in that ridiculous accent (slightly chubby blonde woman). It seems that every person interviewed is currently or formerly a 'student' of Ramtha's enlightenment school.

I like my science untainted by bullshit, so I take the movie with a grain of salt. Concepts are definitely worth some individual attention, though.

Roxy
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:10 AM
I joined that Ramtha's mailing list for a while and woweeee!! It seems like it's all about the almighty dollar, more so than spiritual enlightenment.

emzy1985
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:40 AM
Slightly off topic...but with a theme that is within this thread. I'm moving to Brighton in two years time. My gfs family live down there, it has a big vegan scene and importantly for me SARC is a practically holy AR force I can take up my spare time with. Plus I'm gay and so is Brighton so....meh!:D

Back to the meat eaters silly things - Yesterday at lunch I had the canteen make me a lovely vegan curry. For the veggies they did a quorn and mushroom stroganof. The same guy who often sits next to me at lunch and makes sure he is always eating veggie when he does asked me why I didn't have the quorn. I've worked with him everyday for practically two years and I must of told 1000000000000000 times that Quorn has egg in it and I don't eat egg. So I said it again and he acted like I've never said it before! Also the meat dish was under cooked and two other of my colleagues were complaining that their burgers were raw. They looked at me and my yummy food and I just smiled right back at them whilst stuffing my face!

Hemlock
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:42 AM
I've considered Brighton if I can afford it... I've heard that there's loadsa vegan places there and that it's nice to live.

Brighton is fab - a vegan paradise. We live in a small Seaside town 20 miles away which is nice and also much cheaper than Brighton itself which is very expensive. The bus and train links are very good and we often go into Brighton on the weekend by bus.
My son lives in Brighton and loves it.

Healthy
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Great story Emzy ... reminds me of a few years ago when I was had a 100 percent raw vegan meal at a restaurant that mainly served omni foods. Everyone at my table complained about the food being "over cooked."

I'm like, "Mine is perfect." :)

That's the beauty of being vegan, especially raw -- it's nearly impossible to screw up a meal.

Jessicake
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Luckily I haven't encountered many inconsiderate people yet, but I haven't been at this for too long. To my brother said "First vegetarian, now vegan? Next she'll give up oxygen and water." which is just completely stupid. Thankfully I work in a very open minded store with only a few staff members anyways, haha.

Roxy
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:28 AM
You work in a tea store right? Do they serve cups of tea there as well? If so, you could have them put soy milk on the menu :)

Jessicake
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Ah, we don't sell tea by the cup actually.
I know they do in the other store they own.
I'll mention it to my boss tomorrow!
If he doesn't already have it, he'll probably listen. He's the best, haha.

Roxy
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I was just looking through a friend's Christmas photos on Facebook....and came accross a photo of a cooked pigs head on a table. Beside the head were what looked like cooked feet. Why????? It's so barbaric. They may as well have a human head and feet on the table. I could actually hardly believe what I was seeing :mad:

Healthy
Jan 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Awww, Roxy, that makes me almost cry ... pigs are my favorite animal and it breaks my heart continously that people eat them all the time.

Healthy
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Okay, here's a really stupid one.

Years ago, when I was in my 20s, I was invited to a beach party by a clique I didn't know too well.

Some idiot in the group saw my package of Tofu Pups and said, "What is this shit?" and threw the package into the ocean.

I was young, skinny and had nothing to eat thanks to Mr. Meateater who thought Tofu Pups were "uncool."

But the punchline is, I realized I was hanging with a bunch of losers, took a cab home and ended up having a really great weekend after all.

NOW FAST FORWARD .... TO THIS DAY, 20 years later -- I was at a holiday party over the weekend, and this other idiot from that same clique approached me and made a big stink about me taking a cab home from the party, and his wife said to me, "Hello Tofu Pup!" as a dig to me, and then her husband started insulting me bringing up the incident ... like I was the stupid one.

Well, I got the last laugh, I'm like, "Of course I went home, I was BORED and the party sucked. And, Uh, don't you have a wife and kids? You're bringing stuff up from 20 years ago?! And aren't you in your 50s now? Please get a life." I said it loud enough for the wife to hear.

He put his head down and walked away in shame.

I think I got the last laugh! :)

When I got home and told my boyfriend the story, he laughed hysterically. He said, "What losers!"

JC
Jan 8th, 2008, 11:48 PM
This is my favourite:
I had to go for a family meal at this not-veggie-friendly pub. Seeing there was nothing on the menu that struck me as vegan, i went and asked a man at the bar if there was anything that they had for me. After first explaining what a vegan was, the man went off into the kitchen, came back and asked if i ate fish. er, no! he went back into the kitchen, came out and said 'you can have the curry. it's only been cooked in a little bit of butter, is that ok?' er, no!! :rolleyes: i ended up with jacket potato and beans - no butter. yum, not! i don't mind these places so much, as long as they're willing to accommodate you, maybe making something up especially for you. i think it's really degrading to be offered the salad all the time!!

RubyDuby
Jan 9th, 2008, 12:00 AM
they probably wouldn't know where to start.

when i was vegetarian I was dating a guy who wanted to make me dinner. First he tried adding a can of cream of chicken soup. When I nixed that he dropped a chicken bullion into boiling water, and when I said I wouldn't eat that he thought it would be ok to just remove the undissolved bullion. :rolleyes: Some people really just don't get it.

ellaminnowpea
Jan 9th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Erm theres so many instances where meat eaters have been less than kind and understanding of my veganism.

Example from work: I was sitting in the caf eating a huge stirfry (snowpeas, broccoli, artichokes, mushrooms, bell peppers, etc) with chickpeas and tomatoes. I was almost finished when this lady walks over and says "Oh there you are again, eating nothing, eating rabbit food". *grrrr*:mad: "I could never eat that, I have to eat meat". Wtf lady!:mad: I eat vegetables, what the hell is wrong with that. I just sat there and said "Oh well this is really good, I'm content... and it's healthy". She then tried to persuade me that it wasn't healthy to eat like I do.:rolleyes:

JC
Jan 9th, 2008, 01:24 AM
i know, but i'm sure there's nothing complicated about the concept of 'nothing that comes from animals'. i mean with vegetarianism, its a bit hazy because you get different types, but veganism is pretty straightforward i think! *sigh* i know some people are set in their ways, but i just feel that sometimes they're being plain ignorant. i should probably try to be more tolerant, but its hard!

RubyDuby
Jan 9th, 2008, 01:30 AM
but chicken is an animal! I still can't figure out the logic behind 'but it's cream of chicken". :confused:

I think you're right about them being ignorant. 'Ignorant' is just another way to say, 'those who have yet to actually think about what the concept of veg*nism actually is'.

I'm sure I do it too (absentmindedly choose to be ignorant) with different subjects... but I hope not!

eta: ellaminopeee (me being lazy :o)-- u have to wonder what insecurity prompted her to care what u were eating. :rolleyes:

JC
Jan 9th, 2008, 01:33 AM
yeah, i suppose we all do to an extent. which is why we should try to be tolerant and to explain. it's just that when you do that, it always ends up as an argument, and you go through it so many times, that you just can't be bothered to explain to people anymore!

emzy1985
Jan 9th, 2008, 07:54 AM
you go through it so many times, that you just can't be bothered to explain to people anymore!

Welcome to my life! (Well except when I'm on demos/stalls cuz then it's my job to educate. The people I work with are actually sooo stupid and no matter how many times you tell them they still just don't get it so I don't bother!)

Zero
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Welcome to my life! (Well except when I'm on demos/stalls cuz then it's my job to educate. The people I work with are actually sooo stupid and no matter how many times you tell them they still just don't get it so I don't bother!)

I know what you mean, people at work are actually quite good though. It's a couple of my friends who are the type that always want make you something to eat whenever you go over there (which is nice) but I always get the same questions like "Quorn is ok right?" and "This has butter in it, but you can have that right?"
Arrgh. Oh well.

Healthy
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Did anyone mention this one yet ... the classic "just a little" answer -- when you ask "Is there chicken broth in it?" or "is there butter in it?"

Like I'm really going to eat it if there's "just a little" -- DUH!

RubyDuby
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I got that answer the other day about honey in tazo chai tea. so sad :(

JC
Jan 9th, 2008, 07:04 PM
hehehe 'just a little'. well that's ok then, but if there was any more, then we'd have a problem!

Healthy
Jan 9th, 2008, 07:09 PM
HA! That's funny, JC ... I'm going to use that actually ... thanks! :) :) :)