PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

missbettie
Jan 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
hehehe 'just a little'. well that's ok then, but if there was any more, then we'd have a problem!

Ya you know cause the teaspoon is okay but once you start putting in a tablespoon of butter...oh you best watch out!

JC
Jan 9th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Ya you know cause the teaspoon is okay but once you start putting in a tablespoon of butter...oh you best watch out!

lol! god, what are they thinking when they say stupid things like that?!?!?! :confused: i think it's funny because it's so true! the number of times people say it to me is unbelieveable!!

Zero
Jan 9th, 2008, 08:57 PM
lol! god, what are they thinking when they say stupid things like that?!?!?! :confused: i think it's funny because it's so true! the number of times people say it to me is unbelieveable!!

They still think we are making ourselves go without, so they think a little bit is ok like it's some sort of treat, many people just think you are vegan because you are trying to lose weight or because it's some sort of fad diet even if you have been doing it for years.

Thats what I find funny.

Healthy
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I certainly don't need to lose weight, so I don't know what they're thinking about me ... but people do think of non-vegan food as a "treat" and think they are depriving themselves if they eat vegan.

I got so sick of hearing "what do you eat" and "how do you get protein" that I sent a mass email to all my friends with a list of vegan proteins and added that there are over 10,000 varieties of fruits and vegetables.

Zero
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM
It was funny at a work Christmas party I ordered a vegan pizza, and someone asked me if it was because of allergies Lets call him 'Bob'.

Me: "No, it's actually out of choice"
Bob: "Yeah but why?"
Me: "Out of respect for the fact that we are at a dinner table I will keep this vague, but it's basically a choice for health reasons, for animals and animal rights and for the environment"
Bob: "Yeah but I like my meat!"
Me: "And I never tried to stop you from eating it now did I?"
Bob: "You're correct, I appologise"
Me: "I would certainly be happy to discuss it further with you when we are not eating"

At least sometimes these conversations can end in a civil manner. Especially when the meat eater brings it up, I think he was genuinely interested in my reasons.

Zero
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I got so sick of hearing "what do you eat" and "how do you get protein" that I sent a mass email to all my friends with a list of vegan proteins and added that there are over 10,000 varieties of fruits and vegetables.

lol - You should share a copy of that email to save us all some agony :)

Yeah, if we don't get enough protein why do my muscles keep getting better defined and more prominent the more I work out? I eat mostly fruit! ;)

I love it when people tell I'm going to die from my diet, it's like "I've just eaten 4 bananas and ran 3 miles tonight and you've been sitting there watching TV eating a big greasy beef burger and MY lifestyle is gonna kill me?" :D

Healthy
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM
That conversation is CLASSIC Zero! I wish I was there :)

Jessicake
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I've given up trying to reason with meat eaters.
When they say "Well why don't you eat this and this?"
I say, "Because I don't feel like it" and hope that ends the conversation.:cool:

Healthy
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I do that a lot too Jessicake. I was non-meat eater long before I became a vegan and since I was a kid I was grossed out by the taste, so I honestly tell people, "I don't like it."

But when someone is cooking something for you, like a vegetable soup, you have to ask if they put meat bouillon cubes in it or if it's made from a chicken broth base, because a lot of people think that gives the soup flavor. That's when I'll get the dumb answers like "a little bit" ...

JC
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I've given up trying to reason with meat eaters.
When they say "Well why don't you eat this and this?"
I say, "Because I don't feel like it" and hope that ends the conversation.:cool:

Love it!! I'm going to say that from now on if you don't mind me stealing it :D
And with the stock cube thing, my ''vegetarian'' (eats fish :rolleyes:) auntie tried to make something that i could eat for new years eve dinner, but i noticed she'd used the boullion powder with milk in it, rather than the vegan one. i think she was quite offended when i had a can of soup instead, but what can you do!

Mahk
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:06 PM
The next "Oh it's OK, it just has a little bit of ..." I get, I'm going to ask them, "Would you eat it if it contained just a little bit of human?"

JC
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I like it, it's a good point! Do people always ask you which you would eat out of animal or human meat if you had to eat one? I hate those kind of stupid hypothetical questions, but in truth they're as bad as each other, i would never value a human life over an animal's if thats what they're getting at. omnis find that concept quite difficult to grasp, does anyone else find that? do other people think the same actually, or is it just me?

Lorrs
Jan 10th, 2008, 01:14 AM
I was on a different forum today where the majority of posters are omni and we were discussing the Hughs Chicken Run programme that was on TV this evening. It just really annoyed me with the amount of people who were questioning if animal welfare actually matters and the way they all patted themselves on the back for not caring and going on about how they "like their meat". Gah! I just can't understand peoples lack of sensitivity towards these things and who actually advocate the use of intensive farming. Tis disgusting.

emzy1985
Jan 10th, 2008, 07:48 AM
"Would it be ok if it had just a little bit of poo in it? "

Sorry had to be said!

With the whole chicken programme.....I no longer watch that sort of thing cuz it just make me angry to a point of throwing stuff at the tv! Meateaters will say anything to make them sound big and gruff and cave man like. If they actually had to raise that chicken in their own shed in the same shit and then take it out, all mangled and bleed it dry....most of them wouldn't be able to handle the abhorrant animal cruelty. As much as they like to act all non-empathetic they can't watch a dog suffer so I doubt they would watch a chicken. If the chicken were running happily in their garden before they had to bleed it...many more would kill it due to the fact it had a "happy life" but still not all. Us on the other hand would quite happily raise our carrots in the most disgusting of conditions, deep underground, yank them out, give em a wash then eat them RAW! Now thats hardcore for you:D

Roxy
Jan 10th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Example from work: I was sitting in the caf eating a huge stirfry (snowpeas, broccoli, artichokes, mushrooms, bell peppers, etc) with chickpeas and tomatoes. I was almost finished when this lady walks over and says "Oh there you are again, eating nothing, eating rabbit food".

Who died and made her god of nutrition. Some people need to go take a flying leap!

Roxy
Jan 10th, 2008, 08:09 AM
When people use the "it's only a little bit" thing on me, I say "well, not just a little bit of the chicken (or other animal) was killed for that. The whole thing had to die".

Melanie
Jan 10th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Have a look on Gumtree for places to rent in Brighton, there is usually quite a few on there, I know a few people there, mostly raw vegans as movement there is great, lots of vegans in general.
There is a great grocery/health food store called Infinity Foods, all Organic produce and lots of lovely vegan food! :D
Gumtree?

Mmm, I know, I trek there a lot :D, brilliant place!

emzy1985
Jan 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Gumtree?
!

www.gumtree.com

Lorrs
Jan 10th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Gumtree?

http://www.gumtree.com/ online classified ads

Roxy
Jan 10th, 2008, 08:29 AM
People cant just be such pains in the asses. Veganism is a personal choice and (this is reminding me of something I read in a vegan magazine recently)....they might not care, but nothing gives them the right to have a go at you, because you care enough to try and make a difference.

Melanie
Jan 10th, 2008, 08:30 AM
emzy & purplerose; thank-you! :)

Well said Roxy :)

Zero
Jan 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
"Would it be ok if it had just a little bit of poo in it? "

Fair comment, its a bit like when someone makes you something with cheese on it and tells you that you can just scrape it off, ok "How about if I come over there and split on your food and tell you to just scrape it off?!"

:eek:

Zero
Jan 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM
People cant just be such pains in the asses. Veganism is a personal choice and (this is reminding me of something I read in a vegan magazine recently)....they might not care, but nothing gives them the right to have a go at you, because you care enough to try and make a difference.

Indeed, I love being vegan. I love that I can look the food I am eating and know that it didn't cause immense suffering :)

These days I only discuss my veganism with people who are genuinely interested, anyone who is just trying to cause an argument generally gets very short answers or witty remarks that are difficult to make any sort argument out of.

BlackCats
Jan 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I just read this on another forum where people were discussing that chicken programme:

If god didn't want us to eat animals, he shouldn't have made them out of meat.

Some of their attitudes are just bizarre. Someone was saying how intelligent and emotional animals were and that they should have a good life before they were killed.
If you felt that way why would you eat animals at all?:confused:

Andy
Jan 10th, 2008, 01:48 PM
hmmm, well if god didn't want us to eat other humans why did he make them out of meat too? ;)