PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

JasperKat
Oct 15th, 2004, 02:20 AM
[QUOTE=Trendygirl]I was just surfing net when I came across the net and found this site [url]http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread27432/pg1[QUOTE]

Wow. I skimmed some on the first page and...wow. Seems like quite a few of them realize that they aren't up to the task but still think they are entitled to meat. Do people just not make the link between "poor little lambs" and the chops on their plate? I guess before I went veg, there was some mental distancing, but it's so glaringly obvious now.
-JK

Trendygirl
Oct 15th, 2004, 02:58 AM
The thing is I was blind to it as well but these people are talking about the issue, I didn’t have anyone to talk to about it and I didn’t have the internet. I think there was a veggie on the site who offered them some information but they didn’t take it. I don’t know if the veggie/veggie inclined person was well informed though as they said that we evolved from monkeys!

gertvegan
Oct 15th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Wherefore Moo?

You know what I'm talking about, if you've been a vegan for any length of time, or if you have acquaintances with anti-veg views. It's a minor rite of passage for a vegan. I'm talking about that inexplicable phenomenon known as getting MOOOed. FULL ARTICLE (http://www.vegsource.com/jo/views/mar01views5.htm)

This is from the Jo Stepaniak Grassroots Vegansim on www.vegsource.com .

mysh
Oct 15th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Excellent post, gertvegan!

So, I yesterday I had a job interview. It was an all-day affair, so, naturally, it included lunch. For this I was taken out to a restaurant (of my choice) by three employees. One of them is vegetarian (actually, ovo-lacto veggie), and another one used to be(!).

Three things of note happen:
1. At the Thai restaurant we go to, the waiter tells us that the soup of the day is hot and sour soup. The ovo-lacto in the group asks if it's vegetarian. The waiter says "yes". I ask if it's made with meat broth, etc. He goes to check, and surprisingly (not really) it is. So it's not all too vegetarian then, is it?

2. Two of the guys brag about all the people they've converted away from veg*nism.

3. The always-has-been-omni of the group comments that he's all for making meat production be more humane. I point out that that's not gonna help the animal be killed any less, is it, so it's really missing the point.

After that I change the subject.
But at least no-one moo'ed at me.

gertvegan
Oct 16th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Homer Simpson - 'Lisa honey, are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?'

Lisa Simpson - 'No'

Homer - 'ham?'

Lisa - 'No'

Homer - 'Pork chops?'

Lisa - 'No. Dad those all come from the SAME animal'

Homer - 'Yeah right Lisa, a wonderful "magical" animal.'

veganblue
Oct 17th, 2004, 01:22 PM
I had to re-read you post a few times there Veganblue.:) I think the ingredient in pasta is ferous lactate. Maybe a vitamin put in in the enriching process? Is lactate or ferous lactate vegan?

I am terribly sorry - I am doing chemistry this year and it is opening up a whole new world of understanding.

I don't have my food additive decoder on hand, but it looks like the lactate changes the oxidation state of the iron (ferrous) and is useful as a food dye...? but in pasta? what colour are they imparting??? Research continues...

...greenish white powder...dietry supplement...I imaging similiar to a chelated iron form - the lactate form the chelate.

http://www.calderatech.com/PRODUCT/LACTIC_ACID/

Looks to me like it would be reasonably safe to assume that most lactates come from bacterial production. As with all things I may be wrong, but the law of economics suggests that lactic acid from sugar fermentation is much more preferrable than that from cows milk. This applies to use as an additive in some cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.
If on doubt - ask the manufacturer.

JasperKat
Oct 18th, 2004, 01:55 AM
This seems to fit in this thread. http://www.pork4kids.com/Default.asp

-JK

John
Oct 18th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the feedback Veganblue. If I were a better student, I would to be a chemist too. Apologies to all the people who hate going off topic. :)

Trendygirl
Oct 21st, 2004, 01:47 AM
Veganblue. I was reading the ingredients of my vegan cream chesses (Tofutti www.tofutti.co.uk) and it stated ‘non dairy lactic acid’. It says that it is vegan on the pot. This draws into question all the other things that say lactic acid on them.

veganblue
Oct 21st, 2004, 02:53 AM
Hey Trendygirl - have continued this here. (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14340#post14340)

drummer
Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:44 AM
One of the most silly things that someone said to me was: "humans need cows' milk for iron". The fact is, cows' milk contains ZERO iron, plus it inhibits iron absorbtion by up to 75% either by the casein in it or as a result of gastro-intestinal bleeding caused by the cows' milk.

Pembroke
Oct 23rd, 2004, 06:17 AM
I got a similar one from an old friend. I told him that I was a vegan. He says "that's dangerous, you know. I knew someone who went vegetarian, and died because she didn't get enough fiber."

Ha ha, I almost burst out laughing. Meat is such a good source of fiber, huh?

gertvegan
Nov 5th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Bart: Hey lisa would like some of my meat kebab.
Lisa: Bart you know I'm vegetarian.
Homer: Oh come on Lisa, we're on Holiday, look I'm not wearing my wedding ring.

I think thats roughly how it went.

Gorilla
Nov 5th, 2004, 11:28 AM
i know this has come up before but i was sitting on the bus the other day and behind me were two girls chatting about somebody they knew who was apparently a vegetarian who didn't eat dairy (no i wasn't eavesdropping but you know what it's like, some people you can't help overhearing!)

one girl said, "yeah well he's a vegetarian but he doesn't drink milk, and i was like, what's up with that? i mean, milking a cow doesn't kill it!" and the other girl said, "yeah, doesn't he know that cows, like, EXPLODE if you don't milk them?!!" first girl: "i know, it's so stupid i used to try and argue with him but now i just ignore him!"

:eek:

celtic rose
Nov 5th, 2004, 12:47 PM
I despair I really do. The utter stupidity of the general public knows no bounds. :(

Gorilla
Nov 5th, 2004, 02:30 PM
oh here's another one i stumbled across today, while flicking through the TV channels i stopped on a cookery show for some reason. it's called Too Many Cooks and is a sort of cook-off competiton type show.

the teams had cooked liver and the presenter was tasting one of the meals. she didn't think much of it and said, "it tastes like what it is, it tastes how you expect liver to taste and you don't want to think about it when you're eating liver do you."

well if you don't like the thought of eating a dead animal's body parts then why not stop eating them??!!!!! :mad:

snaffler
Nov 5th, 2004, 02:34 PM
It must be awful being vegan, can the Dr. give you anything to help with it....and that was said in all seriousness :eek: some people

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 5th, 2004, 03:13 PM
I despair I really do. The utter stupidity of the general public knows no bounds. :(

In this case, "Udder stupidity" , perhaps? ;)

assilembob
Nov 5th, 2004, 04:08 PM
I had a student yesterday (an honors, pre-AP student who is 15 btw) give me a Milky Way candy bar...I looked at her funny and she said...it doesn't have meat in it or anything.
I asked her if she rememberd that I didn't eat milk either and she said yes. I asked her what she thought a milky way had in it. "Chocolate, caramel, that nouget thingy"
I asked her what kind of chocolate it was. "just chocolate...it's not flavored"
Then I said it was MILK chocolate...that I appriciated her gift, but since I couldn't eat it I told her to give it to the other teacher I work with...She didn't understand that MILK chocolate has MILK in it. Hmm?
I am still very confused by this. She is a very smart girl...?
~Mel

gertvegan
Nov 5th, 2004, 08:27 PM
" So are you vegan if you bought 2nd hand leather goods" . Did someone speak, oh its you again, you with the "is swallowing seman vegan" questions. Go away.

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 5th, 2004, 08:47 PM
I had the best back-handed compliment one day. A friend's mother, upon learning I am Vegan, said she thought it was 'ridiculous, livng just like an animal!'. :D

JasperKat
Nov 16th, 2004, 12:21 AM
Overheard in the cookbooks section of Barnes and Noble yesterday:
woman 1: "Well, there are two kinds of vegetarian cooking, right? One with meat and one without?" woman 2: "Yeah, I think so." At this point I (politely) interrupted and offered to recommend a good vegetarian cookbook. Said woman 1 "I'm also looking for an organic foods cookbook."
Now, I might be wrong, but I have personally never come across a recipe that called for 1 c of pesticide laden peas or 2 stalks of genetically modified celery. Wouldn't and "organic" food recipe be the same as any other?
-JK

cobainist403
Dec 24th, 2004, 04:17 PM
I was at this sandwich place getting my dad something to eat. The guy making the food asked if it was for me. I said no, I'm vegan. I described the lifestyle to him. And so then as I was reversing out he ran outside, and he said "Wait, I got you. Do you wear cotton?" I said "Of course I do, I live for cotton." Then he said, "Ah ha, cotton comes from sheep! What kind of vegan are you?" I said..."um...no cotton comes from a plant, good bye."

It made me laugh the rest of the day!

Hasha
Dec 24th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Cotton comes from a sheep? Lol, that's great! Just brilliant! :p

Hasha
Dec 24th, 2004, 06:56 PM
BTW cobainist, I didn't notice you around here for a while. Glad to see you back. :)