PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Healthy
Jan 28th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure if this qualifies for something a "meateater" would say, but it was pretty damn stupid, so perhaps it belongs in this category.

The other day I was shopping at A&P, which has a very limited amount of organic produce, but it's closest to my job (and I refuse to go to assWhole Foods because I can write a book on how bad that place is)...

So, I ask one of the grocery managers why they mix the organic and non-organic produce together, why not just have an organic section to make it easier to find all the organic produce.

The answer was: "Because they want the shoppers to shop around the store, to look at everything."

WTF???? If I'm looking for organic, is looking at non-organic produce going to make me want to buy it? I don't think so! LOL!

Healthy
Jan 28th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Here's another ...

When I tell people I eat mostly raw vegan, they are like: "So you eat a lot of sushi?"

#1 -- Obviously sushi is not vegan (but they could make vegan sushi)

#2 -- Mainstream sushi is not raw, even if it is vegan: the rice is cooked, the seaweed is roasted (you could get raw seaweed, but it's twice as costly and most run of the mill restaurants will not go the pricey route); perhaps cucumbers and avocadoes are raw, but other vegan items used in sushi are cooked like sweet potatoes.

RubyDuby
Jan 28th, 2008, 10:03 PM
good point. If its vegan sushi, it is not raw. I think when the word raw is used, people automatically think of meat. The word vegan just means the meat must be healthy. :rolleyes:

snivelingchild
Jan 29th, 2008, 12:11 AM
#1 -- Obviously sushi is not vegan (but they could make vegan sushi)

Actually, sushi does not have to include fish. In fact, futomaki, a kind of makizushi (rolled sushi) is generally made vegetarian. What I mean is, sushi does not have to be 'made' vegan, per se.

Feel free to ignore my stupidness. ^

RubyDuby
Jan 29th, 2008, 12:15 AM
but is it raw?

The only 'sushi' I've seen that is raw includes sea animals, and the only vegetarian sushi I've seen involves cooked rice.

eta: apparently it doesnt have to have rice! never seen it though...

snivelingchild
Jan 29th, 2008, 04:02 AM
No, sushi is never raw, except for the filling and/or topping. The fish is sometimes raw, sometimes cooked, and the vegetables are raw. There is also the rice (cooked, obviously; to my knowledge there is always rice), and the nori (if it is rolled, i.e makizushi (the sliced tire-looking ones) or temakizushi (rolled into a cone shape, not cut)). Some sushi had tofu or an omlette instead or nori. Other kinds of sushi are basically rice and toppings squished into balls or squares, or just in a bowl.

Roxy
Jan 29th, 2008, 04:30 AM
On the same topic:

Me: I'm going to have sushi for dinner.

Them: Ewwwww I HATE raw fish!!!

:confused: It's strange that people associate sushi, with only raw fish flesh.

Andy
Jan 29th, 2008, 01:34 PM
lol, up until recently i thought sushi was just raw fish :o

pavotrouge
Jan 29th, 2008, 08:16 PM
yeah! Chance to brag with my knowledge of the Japanese language :D

Apparently, the term "sushi" comes from the adjective "sui", which means "sour" and thus refers to the vinegar used for the rice ;)

That's exactly what I tell people who stare at me for eating sushi or tell me it's not the "real stuff".

ellaminnowpea
Jan 30th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Geez, right after chem class...

Friend: "You got new UGGs!"
Me "Yeah, they're vegan ones! I love them!"
Friend: "Really? What does that mean?"
Me: "They're not made out of baby cow skin..."
Friend: "UGGs are made out of baby cow skin?!? Oh my god (proceeds to feel bad and sad and wants to take them off...etc)"
Me: "Yeah.... If only everyone knew..."

Some guy comes up to us: "You should consider buckskin..."
Me: "What? Like a deer's skin?"
Same guy: "Yeah, if you kill it yourself and skin it!"
Me: "I.... I couldn't do that to an animal..."
Same guy: "You should consider it!"
Me: "I don't think so..."
Friend: "Yeah... "

Thankfully this convo had a reason cause the friend is considering vegetarianism/ veganism after I told her about a few of the tortorous things that happen to animals in these factories.

RubyDuby
Jan 30th, 2008, 11:07 PM
so what did he offer as a reason for consideration???

ellaminnowpea
Jan 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Well he just said "cause you kill it yourself" but then I kind of just walked off casually.

RubyDuby
Jan 30th, 2008, 11:29 PM
yeah, i dont get why thats better... cool u got vegan uggs though. :D

missbettie
Jan 31st, 2008, 12:26 AM
promise you won't wear your uggs with a tank and short shorts!!! Girls around here do that alllll the time.

them---"i'm cold!"

Me--- "thats because you are practically naked!!"

Haniska
Jan 31st, 2008, 12:49 AM
On the same topic:

Me: I'm going to have sushi for dinner.

Them: Ewwwww I HATE raw fish!!!

:confused: It's strange that people associate sushi, with only raw fish flesh.

Them: *Opening STARING at my food* What is that?
Me: Sushi
Them: Oh I could never eat that it has raw fish!
Me *explain in detail that all sushi and my sushi is not raw fish and I eat no animal products*
Them: Well, I couldn't eat it.
Me: What exactly is it that puts you off?(the only acceptable answer for me would be the seaweed)
Them: THE RAW FISH!

emzy1985
Jan 31st, 2008, 06:24 AM
promise you won't wear your uggs with a tank and short shorts!!! Girls around here do that alllll the time.

them---"i'm cold!"

misbettie - where do you live? :D

Oh btw what are uggs?

Roxy
Jan 31st, 2008, 06:30 AM

them---"i'm cold!"

Ohhhh a town full of Pamela Andersons :D

UnibrowSmith
Jan 31st, 2008, 03:31 PM
The other day I made vegan chocolate chip cookies and some friends of me and my boyfriend stopped by. When I asked them if I wanted any VEGAN cookies..one of them said "meatless cookies?...I don't get it, why are they vegan?"

I am just amazed by how little the general population knows about what goes into the food they eat and essentially into their bodies.

Why should I be teased for trying to better myself and my fellow animals by people who don't even know what they are eating.

sorry, but i don't have ANY vegan friends, and I sometimes just get frustrated by the lack support from my friends and family.

missbettie
Jan 31st, 2008, 05:32 PM
i'll get you a plane ticket emzy.

emzy1985
Feb 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM
i'll get you a plane ticket emzy.

And something to knock me out for the entire flight - I am petrified of flying!

UnibrowSmith - Sucks don't it? Look for an AR group in your area if you are into that thing. If I didn't have my AR group, I wouldn't know any vegans at all!

Jiffy
Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
The other day I made vegan chocolate chip cookies and some friends of me and my boyfriend stopped by. When I asked them if I wanted any VEGAN cookies..one of them said "meatless cookies?...I don't get it, why are they vegan?"

I am just amazed by how little the general population knows about what goes into the food they eat and essentially into their bodies.

Why should I be teased for trying to better myself and my fellow animals by people who don't even know what they are eating.

sorry, but i don't have ANY vegan friends, and I sometimes just get frustrated by the lack support from my friends and family.

Tell me about it, I'm gutted because all of my immediate family, i.e. wife and three grown up children have been lacto ovo vegetarian for over twenty years.

I had hoped that if anything, they would join me in becoming vegan, but not a bit of it. The festering and vitriolic resentment I get from my wife has to be seen to be believed as she sees my veganism as simply an inconvenience, a 24 carat PITA in fact. Her most frequent utterance is 'well it's so difficult knowing what to cook now'

As I type this I am looking down at 365 plus one Vegan recipes by Leah Leneman. Nothing wrong with that I hear you cry, but my copy has had a label stuck on to cover the word 'Vegan', it reads 'Dog Shit'.

How I laughed. :rolleyes:

Hemlock
Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
Jiffy:eek: If my husband treated me like that he would be having a serious conversation with a lawyer. That is sooooooo disrespectful it beggars belief!

pavotrouge
Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
as hemlock said - I didn't dare comment on this because I think I'm not in a position to talk about family issues- but that is totally too far.

I think you should have a serious talk with your family.

RubyDuby
Feb 4th, 2008, 12:29 AM
what are their reasons for being vegetarian? because unless its bc they dont like the taste of meat, all the rest of the reasons apply to veganism tenfold.

I hope they come around, or at least start treating you more respectfully. Or u find another solution...

Jiffy
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:21 AM
To be fair to my 23 year old son, who was clearly the perpetrator, he wasn't being malicious and I did actually have a bit of a chuckle. His other little wheeze at the moment is taking the mickey out of Cheelzy and similar products. He asked if they do an alternative to tap water called Water-ly.

If it had happened in a different context, say with colleauges with whom I wasn't particularly friendly then It would clearly be going too far.

I think my wife's attitude is more disappointing, because we both became vegetarian together back in the early eighties after watching the 'Animals Film'. Our three children were brought up as vegetarian.

She even came with me to the Viva Roadshow last summer. I guess if I'm being honest her attitude says more about the dire state of our relationship than her views on veganism because she is well aware of the facts.

Thing is what can you do? If I wasn't mortgaged up to the hilt and If I had a few hundred grand lying around then maybe I could move out and buy myself a flat. As I don't then I'm going to have to put up with it. In the immortal words of PInk Floyd, who actually nicked it from someone else, 'Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way'.