PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

emzy1985
Feb 4th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Hey Jiffy! Well at least they are vegetarian at least and not consuming animal flesh. Like Ruby said, I would have thought they would have common goals to you in regards to alleviating the suffering of animals. Have you sat down and spoken to them about your reasons for being vegan and why it hurts you that they are rude about it? All vegan dishes are vegetarian aswell is another point you might wanna bring up! Stick with your beliefs and don't back down. Let us know how it goes!

I had a stupid argument with a guy at work where he said that Scottish cows don't have growth hormone in their milk. He also said that the cow produced milk all year round and didn't need to be impregnated. When I kept giving him the same facts over and over again he just turned away and I just left it. I get so mad - dairy is like "my thing" I know alot of stuff about dairy production as we argue about it so much at work. No-one has won yet muahahahaha! Why can't they see that if someone is passionate about something, they are gonna be alot more well read on it than someone who has an opinion on it?

ClawsyWP
Feb 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
ack sorry i had to delete this!
A meat eater and psyho in my family is being very demanding , wanting me to help them visit a place that endorses vivisection, and helps fund it.

Jiffy
Feb 4th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hey Jiffy! Well at least they are vegetarian at least and not consuming animal flesh. Like Ruby said, I would have thought they would have common goals to you in regards to alleviating the suffering of animals. Have you sat down and spoken to them about your reasons for being vegan and why it hurts you that they are rude about it? All vegan dishes are vegetarian aswell is another point you might wanna bring up! Stick with your beliefs and don't back down. Let us know how it goes!

I had a stupid argument with a guy at work where he said that Scottish cows don't have growth hormone in their milk. He also said that the cow produced milk all year round and didn't need to be impregnated. When I kept giving him the same facts over and over again he just turned away and I just left it. I get so mad - dairy is like "my thing" I know alot of stuff about dairy production as we argue about it so much at work. No-one has won yet muahahahaha! Why can't they see that if someone is passionate about something, they are gonna be alot more well read on it than someone who has an opinion on it?

The annoying thing is that they are well versed in the facts, but seem to be adopting the ostrich position. My best guess of their take on it would be that it's just a temporary phase I'm going through. Somewhere between a mid life crisis and good old fashioned attention seeking. I think they think that being vegetarian is OK because it requires such little effort, whereas being vegan is somehow 'extreme' and therefore beyond the pale.

emzy1985
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:41 AM
ack sorry i had to delete this!
A meat eater and psyho in my family is being very demanding , wanting me to help them visit a place that endorses vivisection, and helps fund it.

The ZOO?

treehugga
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:40 AM
The other day I was at work and someone asked how I manged to not consume animal products and I said it wasn't hard and I felt better for it.
One of my friends said "I'd rather be happy and eat milk and dairy than feeling miserable as a vegan." :eek::eek::confused: This was from someone I find usually fairly understanding and has given up most meat products.

I chose not to retaliate with a remark.

However, a couple of days later, the same person asked me for vegan recipes so she can slowly start preparing more vegan food for her family! Something 's sunk in somewhere.

I wondered whether by my not responding, actually encouraged her to consider her remark.

RubyDuby
Feb 5th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I would think so.
Or she was trying to sound above it for the 3rd party?

pavotrouge
Feb 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM
it's so annoying that people think that vegans are miserable, self-depricating folks.

today a certain coworker (yes, that girl I raged about some pages ago already) turned down a mocha cupcake saying that she'd "rather enjoy life than eat this shit."

Later, my trainer/superior (who's a strict lacto-vegetarian and environmentalist) and I were making jokes about Peta and dressing up in a chicken costume and she stormed in telling me "to shut up and get a life." She didn't even get that we were critizising Peta!

Anyhow, more cupcakes to us <3

Hemlock
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:23 PM
How rude Pavotrouge:eek: What a complete loser that woman is.

I spent my entire lunch break defending my vegan diet, I didn't even want to talk, the three of them just went on and on, would I eat road kill blah blah etc etc. I just wanted to say shut up and let me eat my lunch!

I had a stinking migraine which didn't help - the suggestion was if I ate meat I wouldn't get headaches:mad: That's rich considering I've had 3 days off sick on the last 5 years and they've all had around 3 weeks a year - I did point this out!!!

Healthy
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Pavotrouge and Hemlock -- yeesh, that's so awful when people in the workplace get on your case like that. It's definitely rude and uncalled for.

It's always people who don't like themselves that do that ... a happy, centered person would never behave that way, whether they ate meat or not.

Healthy
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:29 PM
P.S. Pavotrough, your new photo is so adorable :)

pavotrouge
Feb 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM
:) Thank you!
But Pavotrough?! Sssh, don't tell anybody :D

Hemlock, that's exactly why I don't miss a fix lunch break.

sugarmouse
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:47 PM
This is all so frustrating I agree.
I got into a row with my mother and housemate over honey today and in the end i thought there was no point to it-so I said
'If I dont want to eat honey, I dont have to eat it!What the **** has it to do with you two!!'
:mad:

emzy1985
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:01 AM
I hate the honey argument. It just annoys the hell outta me and it always leads on to more crap. GRRR!

Yoggy
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I've found that the most effective response is, "I don't bother you about eating meat, so don't bother me about why I don't". Or, "I never said I think it's wrong to eat meat. I just don't want to eat it, but you can go ahead and do what you want, and I won't say a thing." It usually stops most attacks before they start. I generally refuse to defend my beliefs to anyone, because I never expect other people to have to defend theirs.

treehugga
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:08 AM
I do a similar thing Yoggi.

People seem to think we are automatically critisising them in some way by not consuming meat/dairy and that we are judging them.

My son has a theory that deep down in the hearts people know what they are doing is wrong and so feel guity when presented with an example of someone acheiving what they believe they can't for whatever reason.

They then become defensive and as a result try to bring the (threat) person down to make themselves feel better.

Psychologically people are better at doing this in groups (group think).

Which is why I don't tend to get into justifying my beliefs at a table full of people. Sometimes though I can't help myself!!:rolleyes:

eve
Feb 6th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I agree with you (and your son), treehugga. Now this evening I'm having dinner with a group of over 40 people with the rspca, and have requested a vegan meal. A friend of mine, who is not even a veggie, will be going along too, and suggested it will be a good opportunity for me to say that we are all animal lovers and that I love them so much I won't eat them. However, like you, I won't get into justifying myself at a table full of people. Most of the rspca-ers are not even veggies. And as Yoggy says, she refuses to defend her beliefs to anyone, because she doesn't expect others to have to defend their beliefs.

However, it will be interesting to note the sort of things these animal lovers say, whilst chomping on chickens or whatever.

treehugga
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:22 AM
yes the hypocracy is ironic. Let us know how the meal went Eve. Funny how people who claim to work in the name of animals can so easily chomp down on their remains!!:confused:

puffin
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I totally agree Treehugga.

Yesterday at work i was looking at the Stella website, it was all very relaxing looking so a man who comes in the gym said
"oh that looks like a tranquil website"
me "yes it does doesnt it, its the Stella website"
him "oh your not veggie are you"
me (couldn't be bothered to explain i was vegan) "yes i am"
him "good god, how can you go without bacon, oh i love bacon, do you not miss it?"
me "ummm no not at all, i haven't eaten meat for 16 years so never miss it"
him "oh your missing out"
me "well i dont think i am, i just think of the poor pig"
him "well i am sure the pig wouldnt think of you"
me "if it was a one on one between me and the pig and the pig won then good on him"
He then walked out. What is it with bacon obssessed omnis :rolleyes:

BlackCats
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:50 AM
me "well i dont think i am, i just think of the poor pig"
him "well i am sure the pig wouldnt think of you"

What a great argument haha, he's completely convinced me to eat meat now.:rolleyes: How annoying.

puffin
Feb 6th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Yeah, hehe :D, i went home cooked up a bacon sandwich after he put over such a good case :rolleyes:

ClawsyWP
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:07 PM
The ZOO?

No The Wellcome Trust.

I jsut saw on their website they do stuff with animal tests. I dont give a fuck how wodnerful they are, or other crap they might do. I think Wellcome is some drug company or something?
This relative knows i am vegan.......
She seems to think vivisection is OK

pavotrouge
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Yeah, hehe :D, i went home cooked up a bacon sandwich after he put over such a good case :rolleyes:

the bacon issue is really strange, isn't it?!

What I heard from all ex-veggies :rolleyes: is that bacon was the first meat product they ate after deciding to go omni again.

Healthy
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Awww, man, I hate to admit, I feel so guilty .. I love the smell of bacon, even though I didn't have it since 1986 ... that's the one meat product I do remember that I like.

Here's another thing that really bugs me about meat-eaters ... the ones who own restaurants that serve meat, they'll put up these ADORABLE signs with pictures of smiling pigs and happy cows ... I mean, WFT??!!? You're serving these dead animals, why are they smiling?!?

And a few weeks ago I was traveling and I saw this really gross sign with the skeleton of a fish outside a seafood restaurant. Like, that's supposed to be appetizing?! Even if I still ate fish, I highly doubt I'd dine there after seeing that morbid sign.

Neptunus
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Personally, I find bacon repulsive. I just don't see the appeal of it at all.

Sure, it's crunchy. But hey, so are lots of things.

Just have a banana, you fools!

pavotrouge
Feb 6th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I think it's the saltiness of the bacon... learn to spice up your food properly, people ^ ^ !