PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Marrers
Mar 10th, 2008, 06:19 PM
My mother used to say my veganism was attention seeking!

emzy1985
Mar 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM
My mother used to say my veganism was attention seeking!

I've not had that one before because all the people who know me, have known me since I was at least vegetarian.

cobweb
Mar 10th, 2008, 08:27 PM
ha-ha, Marrers, my mum always says it's "political"

heat13
Mar 10th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Yes, it's so hard to explain it to people who are so clueless! I think the biggest thing is that they don't WANT to learn or hear about anything "different". There is so much you can learn about this lifestyle and to me it is all so POSITIVE and enlightening, I don't know how someone WOULDN'T want to at least know what it is about.

My husband is a very confident man, which is very good:) It takes a lot to make him angry so that is also good... I would have been livid! I would have said something and it would prob have not been good haha The good news is that guy will prob not be around much longer- he will prob be relocated to another area.

I love having people here who we can relate to!

emzy1985
Mar 11th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I love having people here who we can relate to!

Sometimes without this place and other vegans I would probably go insane!

VeganDaze
Mar 11th, 2008, 10:46 PM
My mum (she is not unsupportive of my veganism these days btw, just won't give up meat etc herself) often says 'everyone has different burdens' if I have a rant about something to do with veganism, e.g. how people go on about reducing carbon footprint but conveniently ignore that livestock is worse than cars etc.

this bothers me because she means it like some people campaign against 'child abuse' for example, so that is their 'burden' whereas animal abuse is my 'burden'. But this doesn't make sense - yeah I don't actively work for (e.g.) NSPCC, but that doesn't mean i go around abusing children. So while someone else might not have time to campaign for (e.g.) the vegan society, that doesn't mean it's ok for them to pay people to keep pigs in small metal cages, just cos they DO support the NSPCC.

Sorry, I know that was totally rambling but sometimes it is hard to express thoughts!

heat13
Mar 12th, 2008, 03:01 PM
My husband's co-worker was asking him what is wrong with organic meat. He told him to read Slaughterhouse. My husband has been vegan for 2 months now, but he hasn't had time to read as much as I have about it. What do you think the easiest way to explain to an omni the hazards of meat- even if it is organic? (Besides killing animals obviously)

emzy1985
Mar 13th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Ok so I was having a conversation with an omni friend about poo. If your weak stomached don't read this bit.

Omni: So let's talk about poo then. Mine is quite often dark, hard to get out and floats.
ME: Mine is pretty much either an orangy brown or a dark green, pretty slimey and easy to get out and sinks
Omni: Well that ain't good. Your poo is supposed to float.
Me: My poo has never floated since I was a kid.
Omni: there is something wrong with u then
Me: I doubt it

I think he was trying to say that being vegan was making my poo unhealthy. What do you guys think? Floaters or sinkers?

VeganDaze
Mar 13th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Poo shouldn't float, that means it has excess gas. It shouldn't be over dark or hard to get out either!
Sinker is defo better. not sure about dark green colour though, it's meant to be brown! Prob just cos you eat loads of green stuff though.
My biomedicine lecturer talks about poo A LOT

emzy1985
Mar 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Oh it's only dark green if I eat lots of raw green stuff hehe!

So you reckon that sinkers are the best....hmmm!!!

VeganDaze
Mar 13th, 2008, 12:47 PM
geese have green poo too, it must be natural!

Yep you can tell your omni food that your vegan poo is definitely healthier than his :)

snivelingchild
Mar 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Actually poo floats if it is saturated with fats. Therefore, he is eating a very high fat diet.

emzy1985
Mar 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Hmmmm interesting. Would make sense too!!! :)

ellaminnowpea
Mar 13th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Hahaha talking about poo in public, love it emzy. So, typically poo that floats is higher in fats like SC said. Lighter color usually means it has more fat as well. Either that, or the liver isn't functioning properly to breakdown fats. This is probably equally likely since liver function is often decreased in omnis. I don't think the color is as important since it changes with what you eat lol...

So my own omni story:
My dad and I were grocery shopping (as I load up when he's paying lol). We were in the "naturals" section getting some quinoa and flaxseed and all those foreign things my dad doesn't understand. He starts wandering and ends up at the seafood/ dead cow section and says:

"Sarah, look at that! That would be great....".
I give him a look and he goes: "But I don't eat too much meat anymore, I don't really care for it much".

Hey, at least he's trying. I think he's starting to understand that I know what I'm talking about and why I don't eat meat. Now just to stop the white bread and dairy...

Jiffy
Mar 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Getting away from the poo for a moment... I had to attend a team meeting on Tuesday. Tea/Coffee and snack food is provided. One particulary loud individual started on the 'we are meant to eat meat 'cos of the cavemen' thing and 'you should have some it's good for you' routine. :rolleyes:

I merely asked why, if he was so keen on eating meat, was he stuffing a sausage roll into his gob because the actual meat content would be minimal. I then enquired if it was because he had a thing for Pig's rectums and foreskins or just mechanically recovered meat in general.... It wasn't me everyone ended up laughing at :p

RubyDuby
Mar 14th, 2008, 12:44 AM
My husband's co-worker was asking him what is wrong with organic meat. He told him to read Slaughterhouse. My husband has been vegan for 2 months now, but he hasn't had time to read as much as I have about it. What do you think the easiest way to explain to an omni the hazards of meat- even if it is organic? (Besides killing animals obviously)
I dont think theres an easy way bc theres just too much info and u never know what is going to make somebody elses ears perk up.

This video is really impressive though. Maybe u can get some quick facts from it. It just happens to be on a juicer page. the vid has nothing to do with juicers.
A Diet For All Reasons- click here (http://www.bestjuicers.com/ADietForAllReasons.html)

Roxy
Mar 14th, 2008, 04:11 AM
My friend and I were putting up some IFAW posters regarding some anti seal hunt things that are on in Vancouver this weekend.

We were in a cafe, putting up a sign in the front window, when this guy asked me if it was ok for the Eskimos to kill the seals.

:confused::rolleyes:

erfoud
Mar 15th, 2008, 01:10 PM
If eskimos havenīt got any other way of feeding, Iīd say itīs Ok for them to hunt, in the same way I wouldnīt criticize a cobra for killing her prey.
Who can blame bushmen for hunting when they have no choice? This would make no sense, as it would be suicidal for them to give up meat.
Veganism is good when is feasible, not when itīs impossible

sponge
Mar 15th, 2008, 04:25 PM
My mother-in-law told my husband that she "was going to invite us over for St. Patrick's Day...but then she remembered that we don't eat corned beef and cabbage."

RubyDuby
Mar 16th, 2008, 12:07 AM
why does it have to only be about the food???

heat13
Mar 16th, 2008, 02:27 AM
My mother-in-law told my husband that she "was going to invite us over for St. Patrick's Day...but then she remembered that we don't eat corned beef and cabbage."
And aren't you glad you don't! That sounds disgusting.
I can't believe she said that though! Seriously, that's so rude. It's not like you aren't used to going places and not being able to eat the food.

sponge
Mar 16th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I never thought of it that way heat. That's so true about being used to not being able to eat the food. It's more the norm when you're a vegan.

Haniska
Mar 18th, 2008, 11:45 PM
That is super rude. She might have well said "I was going to invite you, but you ruined it by your personal choice." Is she having other people over? I mean, if other people are coming, why not make more foods and if other people are not coming...why the menu in the first place?

sponge
Mar 19th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Yes, Haniska, other people came over. I was going to cook our own food to bring, but decided to opt out. After working, going to my daughter's tennis match, doing laundry, etc. cooking a meal only to lug it to her house (30 minutes away) seemed like to much work. Next, we get to tackle Easter. :)

heat13
Mar 19th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Sponge, I usually bring a special dish when I go to a family gathering. Even before I became vegan there was usually nothing I could eat (because I was the "health nut" haha). So I would prepare something I knew I liked and that way at least I had something. Maybe you can do that for Easter? I don't blame you one bit for not going. Certainly doesn't sound appealing after that comment.