PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

emzy1985
Apr 28th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Despite my better judgement I am attending a BBQ tonight so I'm sure I'll have loadsa comments to post on here.

sugarmouse
Apr 28th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Thankyou for your help everyoine:) xx

chickpea_chica
Apr 28th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Despite my better judgement I am attending a BBQ tonight so I'm sure I'll have loadsa comments to post on here.
I know this veggie who's having a BBQ for their birthday party. Interesting choice, I thought, since it'll be mostly omni's and will probably end up being a big meat fest like most of the BBQs (unfortunately) I've been to. (It's not 'bring veggie only' or anything.) :(

emzy1985
Apr 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM
My interpretation of a BBQ is that the host provides all the food and you bring the booze. So when I got there last night my friends had kindly got me a mini disposable BBQ and had it going all ready for me....hang on where is the food? They didn't get me any. So I stomped off home and got cheese, sprouts and a variety of burgers and sausages for me and Emily to eat.

Came back and he only had 12 rolls for 10 people and they were white rolls and I really just don't do refined flour if I can help it. I had one and let everyone else munch away.

The guy cooking meat next to me was mixing raw and cooked meat...he even ate some raw meat when he thought people weren't looking. People were like we won't get food poisening and I was sitting there thinking, " no me and Emily won't get food poisening!"

Noone said anything about my veganism....but I was wearing a t-shirt that said,"fuck off I don't wanna talk about it!"

General converstion about food went like this.

"Yeh C eats beef, pork and prawns now. Proper food that is. None of this chees and tomato shit."

"At download last year I took a rump steak and a tuna steak"

"Eating meat is my favourite thing at bbqs" - not like there was anything else. I f I had a bqq there would be potato salad, skewers, salad - the freaking lot.

I just sat there and said nothing. I didn't even look up at them when they were speaking about meat or even eating it.

As for your friend chickpea_chica I had a BBQ before and all my omni mates brought meat cuz they new I wouldn't buy it for them. When they got here I told them that meat wasn't allowed on my bbq on in my oven. They all ate vegan all night and never complained once. :D

chickpea_chica
Apr 29th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I'd probably provide food if I did a BBQ so that people didn't whinge about not knowing what to bring if I made it vegan only, but this one my friend's having is going to be 'bring your own' which means meat for most of them. :(

emzy1985
Apr 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM
That's her own silly fault then :rolleyes:

emzy1985
Apr 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Double post as forum being very slow!!!

chickpea_chica
Apr 29th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Oh, 'his' own silly fault actually, but yeah. I think I'll be expected to hold my tongue about that so that I'm not being 'preachy'. GRR :mad:

emzy1985
May 1st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Don't worry about it chicpea_chica. That's HIS descision. Maybe you should hold a vegan BBQ and show your friend how cool it can be.

chickpea_chica
May 1st, 2008, 12:37 PM
That's such a good idea! I love making food for people, and if it went down well he might not feel under pressure to allow meat next time. Cheers x

Carrie
May 2nd, 2008, 03:39 PM
I really, really hate it when people say 'if we didn't eat meat there would be no animals'.

It is one of the most STUPID of excuses for eating meat ever! I'm sure my Mum has a short term memory, as every time I speak to her about veganism she says this. Grr!

Tangerine Dream
May 7th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Usually I don't have much of a problem with meat eaters, most of my friends are vegetarian anyway these days, or at least not total morons.

So when I went to a family get-together a couple weeks ago and had to mingle with certain people for the first time in several years, I decided the best thing to do would be just to keep my mouth shut, not bring up the vegan thing (it's not relevant, nor their business anyway), eat the hommous and crackers and just drink the vegan beer that I'd provided.

But then all the way from the other side of the room my old aunty, whom I hadn't seen for about 5 years, spotted me and marched right over. Before she'd said hello, before she'd hugged me, before she'd asked how I'd been, how's work, asked to meet my partner or anything that you would expect of a family member you haven't seen in a while.... she comes straight out with "So, I hear you're vegan now" *Long pause while I blink in confusion and then nod and smile through gritted teeth* "How's that working out for you?". "Quite well, actually", I answer. "But how do you get your protein? Don't you always have to worry about nutrition etc etc blah blah" while all the time, she is looking me up and down or staring me right in the face as though trying to find some fault or blemish she can pick on. Luckily for me, I'm clearly much healthier than I was the last time we met (she on the other hand, is bald and pasty from chemotherapy). I've got no idea how she heard about me being a vegan, I can only assume my mother told her.

So after answering all her questions she was finally satisfied that I wasn't about to drop dead right in front of her and I managed to enjoy the rest of the party. Until the very end when I went to say goodbye to her and, right after giving me a quick kiss, stares me in the face again and says "So, it's vegan now? And that's... ok...?" I replied, "Ah... yes and it was good catching up with you, Aunty - hopefully won't see you again for another 5 years!"

I didn't actually say that last bit, but wish I did. I now carry a couple of those "Case for a Vegan World" business cards in my wallet at all times! They are my condoms against stupidity.

Roxy
May 7th, 2008, 04:23 AM
..but I was wearing a t-shirt that said,"fuck off I don't wanna talk about it!"

I'd like one of those.

heat13
May 7th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Usually I don't have much of a problem with meat eaters, most of my friends are vegetarian anyway these days, or at least not total morons.

So when I went to a family get-together a couple weeks ago and had to mingle with certain people for the first time in several years, I decided the best thing to do would be just to keep my mouth shut, not bring up the vegan thing (it's not relevant, nor their business anyway), eat the hommous and crackers and just drink the vegan beer that I'd provided.

But then all the way from the other side of the room my old aunty, whom I hadn't seen for about 5 years, spotted me and marched right over. Before she'd said hello, before she'd hugged me, before she'd asked how I'd been, how's work, asked to meet my partner or anything that you would expect of a family member you haven't seen in a while.... she comes straight out with "So, I hear you're vegan now" *Long pause while I blink in confusion and then nod and smile through gritted teeth* "How's that working out for you?". "Quite well, actually", I answer. "But how do you get your protein? Don't you always have to worry about nutrition etc etc blah blah" while all the time, she is looking me up and down or staring me right in the face as though trying to find some fault or blemish she can pick on. Luckily for me, I'm clearly much healthier than I was the last time we met (she on the other hand, is bald and pasty from chemotherapy). I've got no idea how she heard about me being a vegan, I can only assume my mother told her.

So after answering all her questions she was finally satisfied that I wasn't about to drop dead right in front of her and I managed to enjoy the rest of the party. Until the very end when I went to say goodbye to her and, right after giving me a quick kiss, stares me in the face again and says "So, it's vegan now? And that's... ok...?" I replied, "Ah... yes and it was good catching up with you, Aunty - hopefully won't see you again for another 5 years!"

I didn't actually say that last bit, but wish I did. I now carry a couple of those "Case for a Vegan World" business cards in my wallet at all times! They are my condoms against stupidity.

Wow, some people are ignorant! It sounds like you handled it very well though Tangerine. You would think your family would see how happy and healthy you are, and be impressed! It's a shame people always put down what is different, rather than wanting to learn more about it.

Tangerine Dream
May 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Wow, some people are ignorant! It sounds like you handled it very well though Tangerine. You would think your family would see how happy and healthy you are, and be impressed! It's a shame people always put down what is different, rather than wanting to learn more about it.

Thanks, heat. It's good to have a place to rant about these things :)

heat13
May 7th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks, heat. It's good to have a place to rant about these things :)
ALWaYS! I love to hear other people's stories about the "real world" bc I am kinda like you, I don't deal with too many non-vegans;)

You should be proud you are acutally able to laugh at your aunt's ignorance... as long as you feel good, happy, and healthy, it's all good:bigsmile:

RubyDuby
May 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I now carry a couple of those "Case for a Vegan World" business cards in my wallet at all times! They are my condoms against stupidity.
where did u get them?

Tangerine Dream
May 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM
where did u get them?

I don't recall, actually, they've been sitting in my drawer for a while now. I just assumed they were a global thing, but Google tells me they are made locally: http://vegan.wikia.com/wiki/Vegan_Wikia

Essentially, they're laminated business cards that outline the reasons why someone would go vegan. Handy for when you don't feel like explaining yourself to people who just have no idea!

RubyDuby
May 7th, 2008, 05:14 PM
i want some! along with a vegan passport (that i havent gotten around to ordering :umm:)

Huddy
May 7th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks for that link Tangerine Dream-I never knew that it existed:) I definately need some of those too!;)

Tangerine Dream
May 8th, 2008, 03:10 AM
i want some! along with a vegan passport (that i havent gotten around to ordering :umm:)

They look quite easy to make, if you have a printer and access to a laminator. They just list 6 reasons why people might become vegan: Environment, Human Health, Animal Suffering, Human Culture, The Economy, Religious Imperatives. And on the back a little blurb explaining each one - so no matter what the person is asking about, there's something there to fend off their questions/arguments or inspire them to learn more.

There's also an email address on the front: thecaseforaveganworld @ hotmail.com

Maybe you could email and ask if they can send some out?

RubyDuby
May 9th, 2008, 12:26 AM
ooh, sounds easy enough to even personalize... thanks for the idea. :)

Kitteh
May 12th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Those cards sound good.

I went for lunch w/ a friend on Sat. She's married with a 1 year old now and lately when we catch up she will bring up whether or not my bf has said he is definitely going to marry me, if we are going to buy a place together, and if he wants to have children. I have mentioned before that he doesn't seem that keen on having children and while I think I would eventually want to have one, I don't feel like I *have* to. She always insists that she knows I really do want to have one and that I need him to agree to this. I said we've talked about it as I mentioned to him I would want my kids raised vegan and he's said he disagrees, at this point she raised her eyebrow, gave me a disbeliving look and said "Do you really want to raise them vegan?" I said yes and sort of carried on the convo.

I got home and mentioned it to my bf, I think it really erked me. I don't sit there telling her I think her son's diet is unhealthy. I was still thinking about it when I went to bed, I wish I'd spoken up and said more, like "I think it's best or the healthiest way of bringing up children" I don't know... but at the same time I don't want to argue w/ a friend.

Tangerine Dream
May 12th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Wow Kitteh, that would have irked me too!

Not even just the bit about her implying you shouldn't raise your child vegan, but the way she seemed to think she knows what you want better than yourself! You must be a very patient friend, I think :P

Kitteh
May 12th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Haha, patient or too afraid to speak up about something that means a lot to me. I think I was a bit put off by the attitude and I didn't really think of anything to say until later...