PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Shisha Fiend
Jun 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I dunno it might just be scripted. I have heard people talk like that but I think they tend to be exaggerating...

Jiffy
Jun 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I must admit I did find it hard to wean myself off of my goosehair shirts :rolleyes:

Linxie
Jun 16th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I don't know why but the comment that annoys me the most is "I couldn't survive without my meat" said in such a way that they make themselves sound like cavemen/women.

Eer yes you could survive with out it (hey everyone .... look at me! I'm still alive!) you are just choosing not to because you are selfish :p

missbettie
Jun 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I mostly get, "I could be vegetarian, but there is no way I would ever be able to give up cheese!!" I guess its a start in the right direction!

Anouk
Jun 21st, 2008, 02:50 PM
"I can be vegetarian and eat some chicken from time to time, now that can't do any harm."

i mean ... seriouslly???

Ames
Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9UJz4GwfkUs

familiar. Lol

HaHaHa . . . very funny! Only because to me it sounds like they are taking the piss out of people that think like that. Perhaps I am niave!

puffin
Jul 1st, 2008, 12:56 PM
I met this lovely lady on Sunday and while we were chatting she said..

"oh so your a veggie then"
Me. "well im a vegan"
Her. "oh so what does that mean?"
Me. "it means i dont eat dairy or eggs"
Her "oh but you do eat meat"
Me laughing in a friendly manner "no meat, i havent eaten meat for 19 years"
Her "well you have done great"
she looks at me with some sort of fascination and wonder of how i have managed to do this for so long lol. Bless her, she was so lovely.

sandra
Jul 1st, 2008, 02:11 PM
At least maybe now she knows what a vegan is Puffin! :)
It's strange the way most people don't fully understand what being vegan means, a lot of them think it's either because you don't like meat or you are allergic to dairy etc............it's obvious most people don't give a second thought to 'what' they are eating, they just don't think about the cruelty aspect.

puffin
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:44 PM
hehe, yeah she seemed quite interested so it was quite nice explaining it to her. She was cooking a sunday roast at the time though :faint_smilie:

moggy
Jul 1st, 2008, 09:03 PM
I had a conversation with a friend today about her daughter and 2 very young granddaughters. She commented that one of the 2 granddaughters absolutely loved animals. So I said, 'well why do you still feed them to her then?'. Silence followed, then 'oh, I never thought of it like that'

Duh!

Qaxt
Jul 2nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
I hate when someone tells me to stop being selfish in regards to my veganism. I generally end up responding with something like, "Actually, it's not being selfish at all, but let's not get into that." >.>

RubyDuby
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
selfish!!?? I havent heard that one yet.

Qaxt
Jul 5th, 2008, 10:33 PM
selfish!!?? I havent heard that one yet.

About saying, "No, I'm not going to cook chicken fingers for them," or, "No, I'm not going to eat what they give me if it's made out of an animal."

RubyDuby
Jul 6th, 2008, 07:35 AM
:rolleyes: i guess whichever angle works for'm.

Gwydion
Jul 6th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Saw some guy wearing a 'Meat is Murder - tasty, tasty, murder' t-shirt yesterday.

Umm, yeh, nice one. Arsehole :rolleyes:

philfox
Jul 10th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Just need to rant about a couple of things...one friend said to me a few months ago that because she'd had cancer (which I am so glad she recovered from) but she reckons she needs to eat chicken to stay alive and her doctor told her much the same. I don't understand that logic...but I'm not a doctor.

Someone else has proclaimed that they can only absorb calcium from dairy products >< and that that they only buy organic meat as it's had a 'happy' life. They say this while tucking into a Mcdonald's burger and complain the price of fruit is too high so they can only buy tinned. Just ditch the meat! I could scream....seriously.

Tangerine Dream
Jul 22nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
Just need to rant about a couple of things...one friend said to me a few months ago that because she'd had cancer (which I am so glad she recovered from) but she reckons she needs to eat chicken to stay alive and her doctor told her much the same. I don't understand that logic...but I'm not a doctor.

Someone else has proclaimed that they can only absorb calcium from dairy products >< and that that they only buy organic meat as it's had a 'happy' life. They say this while tucking into a Mcdonald's burger and complain the price of fruit is too high so they can only buy tinned. Just ditch the meat! I could scream....seriously.

Isn't it shocking how little people know about their own health? My dad had cancer. When he recovered he decided to go on a heavily meat-based diet because it was more "natural" and then promptly died from heart failure.

Today I decided to let loose an enormous rant on my blog about how awful free range chicken farms can be and the reality for chickens that are raised for human consumption, no matter how much space they may have to stretch their wings. I was feeling particularly stressed about some things I'd seen recently and couldn't hold back. Then a friend posted a reply to my blog post, stating quite proudly that this is why she doesn't feel bad about buying cage eggs, because she knows there is little difference in living conditions and, besides, free range is too expensive (we're talking like $3.50 a doz, compared to $2.50 a doz. ENORMOUS price difference). She said that she would buy free range if it was an option, but she can't afford it and so it's not an option.

Just.... gah!! How about, oh, I dunno... NOT BUYING EGGS at all?
I don't know how some people can make it through the day without hurting themselves, honestly.

philfox
Jul 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM
But what about all the important nutrients in eggs that you neeeed?!?!?!!?!eleventyone!

Er, like ummm, fat and cholesterol? lol

I totally empathize with you Tangerine, and despair at some people. My partner will only buy free range, yet he still tucks into Quorn products etc (though to be fair on him, not as much as he could do...) But is there any truth in the claim that some people can only get calcium absorbed from dairy and no other sources? Or is this simply an excuse to carry on with the milk drinking and mould eating?

I think we need a really big shake up of the way nutrition, veganism and animal and environmental concerns are portrayed and raised in the media. What about a drama or sitcom about a group of vegans or veggies? A good sound documentary about vegan nutrition? We certainly need something to update misconceptions.

Tangerine Dream
Jul 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
lol... thanks for making me giggle, philfox. I know it's terrible, but sometimes it feels good to laugh at non-vegans. After all the trouble they give us, not to mention the animals, I think they can take a bit of verbal bashing!

I'd tune in to a vegan sitcom!!

There was an American sitcom on late night TV I saw an episode of once - think it was called Out of Practice, it had The Fonz in it - and in this episode they spent half their time taking the piss out of vegans!! I was really shocked that anyone could find that kind of weak humour actually funny!

Now excuse me while I go eat a cupcake and feel smug :p

matt35mm
Jul 24th, 2008, 03:00 PM
lol... thanks for making me giggle, philfox. I know it's terrible, but sometimes it feels good to laugh at non-vegans. After all the trouble they give us, not to mention the animals, I think they can take a bit of verbal bashing!

I'd tune in to a vegan sitcom!!

There was an American sitcom on late night TV I saw an episode of once - think it was called Out of Practice, it had The Fonz in it - and in this episode they spent half their time taking the piss out of vegans!! I was really shocked that anyone could find that kind of weak humour actually funny!

Now excuse me while I go eat a cupcake and feel smug :p

For some reason I thought Henry Winkler (The Fonz) was a vegan.

fondducoeur
Jul 24th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Saw some guy wearing a 'Meat is Murder - tasty, tasty, murder' t-shirt yesterday.

Umm, yeh, nice one. Arsehole :rolleyes:

I have seen this shirt on threadless.com. They actually have a lot of shirts I like and I think the concept of the site is cool (people submit designs, others vote on them, and the top ones get made into shirts; they have new ones available every week), but it makes me so angry every time I see that shirt. I can't imagine wanting to wear that even if I was an omnivore! It's not funny!

starlight
Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
What silly questions have you been asked by omnivores?

Last week I was asked:

- What's your ethical position vis a vis using chicken manure on the garden?

and today I was asked:

- If you had to cross a stream and the only way to get across was in a coracle made of a timber construction with a waterproofed cowhide shell, would you use it?

So what are the silliest questions you've been asked by omnis?

helen105281
Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Hello, today my colleague asked me if I had thought about moving onto a new cause (as opposed to veganism) that was more appropriate.

That is the latest in the stupid questions I get from him on a daily basis.

Others include surely it is natural to eat meat, eskimos do? and would all animals not die anyway if they weren't eaten?

ellaminnowpea
Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
If I eat peanuts.... wtf!
Or pickles.

I've been asked what veganism is.

The typical "if you were stranded on a desert island" questions.

DiaShel
Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
and would all animals not die anyway if they weren't eaten?

Yes, they would. I will die too if someone doesn't eat me... should I be watching my back :umm_ani: