PDA

View Full Version : Things meat eaters say and do

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123

Linxie
Oct 10th, 2008, 01:40 PM
How utterly rude and disrespectful.:mad:

I know! I was mad afterwards but at the time it shocked me so much I didn't know what to say! I would never speak to anyone like that.

harpy
Oct 10th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Really, my taste buds gradually changed.

That's interesting Qaxt. I think my eating got a lot more eclectic at your age because I went away to college and was permanently hungry :D

It's good you did it as a matter of principle though and I might well take you up on your offer to use you as an example!

Shrapnel
Oct 11th, 2008, 05:11 AM
How utterly rude and disrespectful.:mad:
I totally agree! How can the mom of a friend come out and say something like this >_<?

fiamma
Oct 11th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I agree Shrapnel and BlackCats. What a b*tch. I mean, even if you think it, you don't come out and say it, right?? :confused:

Sometimes when I tell people I'm vegan I get The Pitying Look (=OhYouPoorThing). Like I must have been duped by The Great Vegan God In The Sky :rolleyes:

Anyone else get that?

harpy
Oct 11th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Some people just utter whatever swims into their brain, and a lot of people have this attitude that people are more important than animals and that if you do something for animals it has to be at the expense of people :mad: You'd think a moment's thought would tell them that the last bit is utter rubbish even if they cling to the first bit.

I don't think I've noticed pitying looks but probably I looked away at the critical moment :D

Hemlock
Oct 11th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I have just remembered that these people who were amazed I didn't eat honey asked me if I ate peanut butter. Why wouldn't I eat peanut butter? :confused: Have peanuts been reclassified as an animal and no one told me? :eek: :D

OMG please don't tell me you have been eating peanuts:D

I usually just get frank hostility from people and stupid questions - my standard reply is, "Can we talk about something else, you're boring me now". That shuts them up :D

LGBunny
Oct 11th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I usually just get frank hostility from people and stupid questions - my standard reply is, "Can we talk about something else, you're boring me now". That shuts them up :D

I use something similar myself - usually something like, "it's funny how you get used to these questions after 13 years as a vegan" (it's a chance to get in a dig about how long I have been vegan for and how I am still fit and healthy!).

I have also used, when people are getting quite aggressive about veganism, is "what exactly is wrong with being compassionate?"

Hemlock
Oct 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I have also used, when people are getting quite aggressive about veganism, is "what exactly is wrong with being compassionate?"

That's a very good reply - I'll remember that one.

Rebbecca
Oct 14th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Do you eat duck?

(I was seriously asked this by a friend!)

Stu
Oct 14th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Maybe they were from Hartlepool, where they call everyone 'Duck.'
They may have meant, "Do you eat, Duck?"
Although of course, that would be an even sillier question.

Zero
Oct 14th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Maybe they were from Hartlepool, where they call everyone 'Duck.'
They may have meant, "Do you eat, Duck?"
Although of course, that would be an even sillier question.

Haha :D Stu..... what a clever wit you have sir!

Stu
Oct 14th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Like, innit.

Paprika
Oct 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Hmm - not so much a stupid question, as stupid assumptions. I have thyroid problems, and occasionally use a walking stick. As soon as I happen to mention that I'm a vegan, people's eyes travel to my walking stick...and they go "aaaAAAAaaaaahhhh!!" :(

And, of course: "But don't you miss MacDonalds?" :eek:

Zero
Oct 14th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Like, innit.

.....and what not.

Zero
Oct 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Hmm - not so much a stupid question, as stupid assumptions. I have thyroid problems, and occasionally use a walking stick. As soon as I happen to mention that I'm a vegan, people's eyes travel to my walking stick...and they go "aaaAAAAaaaaahhhh!!" :(

And, of course: "But don't you miss MacDonalds?" :eek:

I wish the opportunity to miss them existed, but theres a McBa**rds everywhere you look or someone holding a sign that says 30 seconds walk this way! Or that damn clown on television!

emmapresley
Oct 14th, 2008, 06:25 PM
i got asked if i wanted a cheese sandwich the other week..by a person who i've known literally for the exact amount of time that i've been vegan..so that's like 2 years. and usually i would've let it go cos i'm beat into a sort of resignation about people asking dumb questions but it riled me this time..so i said to her she knew i was vegan and cheese is dairy etc etc and she laughed dismissively and said she couldn't remember. :mad:
if i see and smell her eating a greggs cornish pasty again i'll not bother to hide my involuntary gag.

my boss also suggested i have some honey and lemon in water cos i whinged about a sore throat the other week. when i said blah blah honey blah it was just met with tumbleweed. i've known this person for about 5 years..2 of which i've been vegan.

i don't know if this means noone gives a stuff about something i give a stuff about. stuff em.

Stu
Oct 14th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Stuff 'em indeed.

ms.vegan
Oct 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
When I tell people I'm a vegan, they look at me kinda weird, and say "oh, are ya"? they seem to think because I can't see, I can't be anything but omnivore. It's 2008, for god's sake, doesn't anyone know anything? In a cafe in town the other day, we asked if they did any options for vegans? she said "oh I always havbe a veggie option, I had cheese and onion pasties the other day"...yeah right, doesn't anyone know what v.e.g.a.n means? Use the damned dictionary!

starlight
Oct 14th, 2008, 09:52 PM
i got asked if i wanted a cheese sandwich the other week..by a person who i've known literally for the exact amount of time that i've been vegan..so that's like 2 years. and usually i would've let it go cos i'm beat into a sort of resignation about people asking dumb questions but it riled me this time..so i said to her she knew i was vegan and cheese is dairy etc etc and she laughed dismissively and said she couldn't remember. :mad:
if i see and smell her eating a greggs cornish pasty again i'll not bother to hide my involuntary gag.

my boss also suggested i have some honey and lemon in water cos i whinged about a sore throat the other week. when i said blah blah honey blah it was just met with tumbleweed. i've known this person for about 5 years..2 of which i've been vegan.

i don't know if this means noone gives a stuff about something i give a stuff about. stuff em.

omg emmapresley what a wonderful post! You really make me laugh - you have such a great personality and it shines through.

Rakey
Oct 15th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Aw poor ducks, I love ducks, don't know how anyone could eat one?

Rebbecca
Oct 15th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Aw poor ducks, I love ducks, don't know how anyone could eat one?

Because they're tasty! duh!

(I'm kidding!)

xxrequiem
Oct 16th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I get everything from "But what do you EAT?", to "Can't you just be NORMAL and eat like everyone ELSE does?".
I usually say "FOOD" to the formal, and "LOLWTFNO" to the latter. :umm:

I hate when I get people going, "Oh, so you're one of THEM?" Yes, I'm one of THEM. I save animals. Is that a problem? Psh.

veggiemaya
Oct 16th, 2008, 05:26 AM
somehow I have gotten a lot of "so, but..do you eat fish??"
ummm, huh?

and of course the usual, "but where do you get your protein?" :rolleyes:

Elahiya
Oct 16th, 2008, 10:31 PM
somehow I have gotten a lot of "so, but..do you eat fish??"

oh, me, too!

just two days ago i was asked if vegans can eat flour.:rollseyes_ani:

threeheadedpuppy
Oct 16th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Q. "What if it died of 'natural causes'... like if it was run over by a car"
A. Do people normally go round eating road-kill?? would you eat a badger you mashed into the ground?? No neither would I, vegan or otherwise!

Q. "What about meat, if it were cultured in a lab, instead of from something living"
A. No, you keep that filthy kebab away from me! :\

Q. "What about human breast milk?"
A. WTF!!! Thats the last time I let you make me a cup of tea.

Q. "Don't cows explode if they don't get milked..?"
A. .....no. That would be a pretty poor evolutionary trait don't you think?